Ohio 2019 thread

hardhit1

Hello HSFB fans,

Its been 5 months since I last posted.

I will not bring any drama as to why I have not posted in 5 months like some have when this should ONLY be HSFB related discussions.

With that being said I will be releasing my Ohio top 10 next week 

As the undefeated Pickem Champ from the era of the Rivals, HSBF and Prepgridiron I am back!  

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, BigDrop said:

Take a look at my two posts a few days back about ‘76 Moeller and the Buddy LaRosa Classic.

I have, good stuff

Ed's played Moeller 1975 and lost in the state title game 14-12. 

I went to Eds in 73 but had to transfer to public so would have played in that game but many of my friends did. That started the Moeller dynasty. 

• Like 1

On 8/18/2019 at 7:25 AM, zulu1128 said:

Heard the Cards kinda had their way with Moeller this weekend.

Yea not sure what to think. It's funny how much reports from the scrimmages differ and even conflict. DMR was not impressed at all, a few others thought Colerain dominated, and then others were in between. 

So far the only consistent reporting has been that the Defense has been very good, and that one of Colerains QB's, Prather, has been phenomenal throwing the ball against Moeller, and in a 7on7 against Elder.

7 hours ago, prepsbill65 said:

Just like HardHit1, I have not been around either.  If fact the last time I remember, Paris Johnson was still playing for StX.  WOW.

Sorry...I did not see the local Coaches poll for Cincy D1.  Heard rumors it is probably Elder, and Colerain????

Welcome back!

11 hours ago, Coletrain06 said:

Yea not sure what to think. It's funny how much reports from the scrimmages differ and even conflict. DMR was not impressed at all, a few others thought Colerain dominated, and then others were in between. 

So far the only consistent reporting has been that the Defense has been very good, and that one of Colerains QB's, Prather, has been phenomenal throwing the ball against Moeller, and in a 7on7 against Elder.

If DonRetiredRon actually knew 10% of what he thinks he does, he'd be downright dangerous LOL.

Went to the Eds/Erie McDowell scrimmage Saturday

Eds strength will be their D bring back 7 anchored by Pietrowski DE Mich State commit and junior MLB CJ Hankins. 

Ryan Day while visiting St. Edward had CJ pulled from a class to speak to him. He is the real deal and solidified the D towards the end of last season and had a monster game in the State finals. 

A pleasant surprise was a soph DE Bixby 6'4 230. He should add some good rotational reps if not starting. He will be very good.

The offense is anchored by a strong seasoned OL with Kilbane and Stuart 2 MAC commits. 

the big question are the play makers. They do bring back Wainwright WR and OSU commit for baseball and Fomani RB. Both combined for about 10 td's last year.

So do they have a QB? Yep they have 3. Senior Conor O'Malley looks to be the starter. He has a strong arm is more of a pocket QB, Junior Brody Bostwick is a dual threat with a good arm and extremely quick/fast. The biggest surprise is soph Ramos who is a tall dual threat. He took reps with the varsity and JV. He will be very good. Eds is in good hands at QB this year and years to come.

Some other play makers emerging were Lombardo who caught a 39 yard td from O'Malley and Foster who will be a 4 year letter man on the varsity basketball team. He is 6'2 and has all the tools. Caught 2 td passes and is also working out at CB and safety. Two other 6'5" wr are on the team one being Chapman from the bb team.

Backup RB's are Shaver and another player who had a td, forget his name.

Eds scored 7-2 in td's but it was reported only 4-2 since 3 were JV. 

Erie scored a 50 seam route on first play catching Eds sleeping and scored again on Eds 2nd team. Both Hankins and Lee did not play for the Eagles.

The Eagles had no problem moving the ball.

It looks to be a good year for St Edward this year but they need to have a leader at Safety and continued improvement from some of these play makers to win another title.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, hardhit1 said:

Went to the Eds/Erie McDowell scrimmage Saturday

Eds strength will be their D bring back 7 anchored by Pietrowski DE Mich State commit and junior MLB CJ Hankins. 

Ryan Day while visiting St. Edward had CJ pulled from a class to speak to him. He is the real deal and solidified the D towards the end of last season and had a monster game in the State finals. 

A pleasant surprise was a soph DE Bixby 6'4 230. He should add some good rotational reps if not starting. He will be very good.

The offense is anchored by a strong seasoned OL with Kilbane and Stuart 2 MAC commits. 

the big question are the play makers. They do bring back Wainwright WR and OSU commit for baseball and Fomani RB. Both combined for about 10 td's last year.

So do they have a QB? Yep they have 3. Senior Conor O'Malley looks to be the starter. He has a strong arm is more of a pocket QB, Junior Brody Bostwick is a dual threat with a good arm and extremely quick/fast. The biggest surprise is soph Ramos who is a tall dual threat. He took reps with the varsity and JV. He will be very good. Eds is in good hands at QB this year and years to come.

Some other play makers emerging were Lombardo who caught a 39 yard td from O'Malley and Foster who will be a 4 year letter man on the varsity basketball team. He is 6'2 and has all the tools. Caught 2 td passes and is also working out at CB and safety. Two other 6'5" wr are on the team one being Chapman from the bb team.

Backup RB's are Shaver and another player who had a td, forget his name.

Eds scored 7-2 in td's but it was reported only 4-2 since 3 were JV. 

Erie scored a 50 seam route on first play catching Eds sleeping and scored again on Eds 2nd team. Both Hankins and Lee did not play for the Eagles.

The Eagles had no problem moving the ball.

It looks to be a good year for St Edward this year but they need to have a leader at Safety and continued improvement from some of these play makers to win another title.

I would think there should be very solid leadership in the secondary with the Nash Twins and Johnson back there. Very interested to see how they work these hoopers into the equation this year. Foster appears to be making the transition well, which shouldn't be a surprise given his athleticism. Once he actually learns some of the nuances of the game he may be a huge weapon later in the season opposite Wainwright or in the secondary. And then you have the 6'5 Chatmon as well who had a TD catch in the scrimmage. 

At QB it looks like they will be riding with the senior O'Malley. But you are right about Ramos, he's the future and the two upperclassmen better play at a high level to keep him off the field. 

Malachi Watkins is probably the other RB you were thinking of. He'll get his touches this year, but it's Formani's show and I think they'll be riding his legs early and often. 

Lines looking solid as well. Kilbane and Chambers are the bookends, Crowder is solid in the middle, and we'll likely see Stuart, Aden, and Moran at the guard spots. Moran is a big boy and should be a D1 player.  D-line coudl be even better with Pietro, Colangelo, and Lee returning. Then add in Aden who can play both ways and the upcoming soph Bixby may steal the other DE from the upperclassmen. 

• Like 1

As far as D1 R4 goes, going to be an interesting year.

The consensus was last year after Colerain ran roughshod over the region that it was CLEARLY a down year for big school football in Cincy/Dayton.  The win over Pickerington Central seemed to quiet that a little but the State Championship dud vs. the Eagles raised the question again.

This year doesn't look to be much different with the exception that Colerain is going to take a step or two back.  While their defense will be solid, the offense is lacking that home run threat early on.  The 2 QB's getting reps is throwing a monkey wrench into what most are use to in Colerain township.

As far as the rest of the region, Moeller is going to be a .500 team again.  They are also breaking in a new coach.  Seems to very quiet on the St. Xavier front, which I find surprising.  They brought in Trinity's (Louisville) Offensive Coordinator during the off-season.  Would have expected that to FINALLY get their offense in gear.  However, seems that they didn't exactly impress vs. West in their scrimmage.  Elder seems to be the early darling in the Queen City which, for the life of me, I will never understand.  Until that program remembers how to play defense, I am never going to believe they are a legitimate threat to win anything.

• Sycamore is returning a ton of experience...
  • Mason should take a step back...
  • Fairfield brings back McClain but have several new pieces in place....
  • Lakota West now has Tom Bolden as it's head coach, who led Colerain to 12 straight conference titles...they open the season at LaSalle which is going to be a very interesting matchup.

I feel as if the regional champion is going to struggle to beat Pick Central in the State Semifinals and with everything Ed's has returning, whatever team plays them is going to need a dynamic offense to score enough to win.

My $0.02

-93CardinalsFan

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 93CardinalsFan said:

As far as D1 R4 goes, going to be an interesting year.

The consensus was last year after Colerain ran roughshod over the region that it was CLEARLY a down year for big school football in Cincy/Dayton.  The win over Pickerington Central seemed to quiet that a little but the State Championship dud vs. the Eagles raised the question again.

This year doesn't look to be much different with the exception that Colerain is going to take a step or two back.  While their defense will be solid, the offense is lacking that home run threat early on.  The 2 QB's getting reps is throwing a monkey wrench into what most are use to in Colerain township.

As far as the rest of the region, Moeller is going to be a .500 team again.  They are also breaking in a new coach.  Seems to very quiet on the St. Xavier front, which I find surprising.  They brought in Trinity's (Louisville) Offensive Coordinator during the off-season.  Would have expected that to FINALLY get their offense in gear.  However, seems that they didn't exactly impress vs. West in their scrimmage.  Elder seems to be the early darling in the Queen City which, for the life of me, I will never understand.  Until that program remembers how to play defense, I am never going to believe they are a legitimate threat to win anything.

• Sycamore is returning a ton of experience...
  • Mason should take a step back...
  • Fairfield brings back McClain but have several new pieces in place....
  • Lakota West now has Tom Bolden as it's head coach, who led Colerain to 12 straight conference titles...they open the season at LaSalle which is going to be a very interesting matchup.

I feel as if the regional champion is going to struggle to beat Pick Central in the State Semifinals and with everything Ed's has returning, whatever team plays them is going to need a dynamic offense to score enough to win.

My $0.02

-93CardinalsFan

Pretty accurate accessment, as usual.  I will say the StX offense will look different without a doubt.  It seems like they ran the same offensive sets for the last 2 decades (including that bubble-screen crap).  Certainly hated to see Paris Johnson leave for Princeton, but believe the OL will be fine.  I think we will know more in the first two weeks.  A top Indiana team  (Brownsville).....(15 starters back) in week 1, and then Colerain (on the road) in week 2.  Will get a much better picture after those first two games.