Ohio Week 1 Predictions/Discussion

Coletrain06

I am reassessing my prediction of Loyola vs. St.ignatius.......I think Loyola is going to get pounded...literally. i`ve never seen LA this small on both sides of the line.They have one big guy.....Nils Gombas 6`5-255 and one tackle Gabby Haubner   6 ft.  235....One DE is 6`5...225...but then they are 220......215.......222....215. Iggy`s line is over 290 lbs and I know that they are good. They will wear down LA by the 3rd Qt. and win 35-17. LA`s OF line has a couple of 265-270 lb guys...but mostly 250-255 lbs. I see Iggy`s has guys 245-255 up and down the D-Line.Well that`s how i see it.....

52 minutes ago, abbatt said:

I am reassessing my prediction of Loyola vs. St.ignatius.......I think Loyola is going to get pounded...literally. i`ve never seen LA this small on both sides of the line.They have one big guy.....Nils Gombas 6`5-255 and one tackle Gabby Haubner   6 ft.  235....One DE is 6`5...225...but then they are 220......215.......222....215. Iggy`s line is over 290 lbs and I know that they are good. They will wear down LA by the 3rd Qt. and win 35-17. LA`s OF line has a couple of 265-270 lb guys...but mostly 250-255 lbs. I see Iggy`s has guys 245-255 up and down the D-Line.Well that`s how i see it.....

This is usually what makes Iggy a tough opponent. Iggy is never usually really intimidating with speed or skill positions. It's their huge beef on both Lines, great LB'S, and great coaching/execution that make them a tough game. 

6 hours ago, THS2011 said:

2 opponents Trinity plays. Will be paying attention to that one. 

3 hours ago, 93CardinalsFan said:

You boys are going to absolutely throttle Moeller.  It shouldn't really be close.

-93CardinalsFan

Yea agreed. Springfield just wiped the floor with Moeller in a scrimmage. 

Is be surprised if Cathedral loses to Moe.

28 minutes ago, Coletrain06 said:

This is usually what makes Iggy a tough opponent. Iggy is never usually really intimidating with speed or skill positions. It's their huge beef on both Lines, great LB'S, and great coaching/execution that make them a tough game. 

Iggy will try to pound the ball with Jack Welsch who started last year. Their passing game is mostly slants over the middle and primary receiver is Cmiel who is very good. If they cheat on him they will notice and call the play that burns the D with a deep one at the right time. Their QB Griffin Hanna started a few games last year so he is experienced.

Defensively their front 7 is really good. Might be a bit vulnerable against the pass but Cmiel will also be playing safety. 

On 8/27/2019 at 2:33 PM, GardenStateBaller said:

Wiedemann!!! LOL My years at UDayton were very memorable. Some of the best. But not because of the beer!!!

Genesee Cream Ale from Rochester, NY was the worst ever!! 

Any beer could taste good with some Country Sweet wings and cheese fries from the Distillery, so Rochester has an advantage

• Like 1

3 hours ago, abbatt said:

Game is scheduled to be streamed per Iggy website 

On 8/27/2019 at 12:39 PM, Coletrain06 said:

Hudy is terrible beer haha! 

Also good to see Weidemann brewery back open! Went there couple months ago and ended up sitting with the owners. Great Bavarian and craft beers and good food. Really nice people.

Who dey think they gonna beat dem Bengals?

F6A2BDF8-01A6-4839-807A-54B97EC95CCC.jpeg

9 hours ago, abbatt said:

I know that Taft isn`t a power in Ohio......but their QB...Robert Bruzziel is a transfer from Montini Catholic IL He had a strong game in a win over Northwest.......320 yds passing .....95 yds rushing.......He`s 6`3...190 lbs.

Nice. Taft is one of a handful of schools that are actually in the City of Cincinnati. Most of these CPS teams are terrible. Taft is usually one of the few that are actually decent.  

Northwest is the smaller D3 high school in Colerain's school district. Only a couple minutes apart. Good win for Taft. Northwest isnt good, but they aren't a bunch of slapdicks either. Usually dont see CPS schools win these type of games

Really enjoyed the Mentor-St Ed’s game! Got to watch the full playback (available on their website) Thought it was a great game! Came away really impressed with a lot of players in the game. Mentor’s QB Ian Kipp works that system really well. Two costly fumbles in the second half left points on the board but him and that RB are a dangerous combination. Game on the line, down 28-23, on the road. After two fumbles (one inside St Ed’s five yard line) They moved down the field and won the game. Stole that dub.  I thought they were the better team. The safety obviously played huge and factored into the difference but you can argue the QB fumbles etc 

Liked St Ed’s RB Formani a lot. It was clear they wanted to feed him. It seemed to work well. Thought the QB at times showed well to throw across field and make some plays. Late INT in the 4th was not his fault (WR drop)

Two really good teams. I went with St Ed’s in the Pick Em didn’t have a clue who to pick as all I had to go off was MaxPreps scores. But after watching it’s a close margin obviously but  I felt Mentor was the better team (at least for sure offensively) so I’m happy with the outcome. 

Good game. Impressive atmosphere too good road crowd

E9833866-F150-4B5D-855C-51699FC809D9.pngMentor gets the ball after a safety. Down five. Little under 9 minutes left on the road. 

D6C12020-9528-482D-9377-62FF9B507AD1.png

Mentor marches down the field and scores the game winning touchdown

• Like 1

For those of you that frequent yappi, I gave some of my thoughts from the game over there, but here is the gist of it:

1. With Wainwright sidelined, Eds offense does not have any downfield threats. Not sure how long Mac will be out (he was wearing a boot), but they may need to force a guy like Montorie Foster into action earlier than expected. Simon and Skinner are good second options (both need to work on their hands), but there is no number one receiver on the field right now. 

2. Formani is a beast who rarely goes down on first contact. Mentor sold out to stop him, and he still got his yards. However, Eds cannot rely on him against the better defenses. There needs to be a downfield threat to keep defenses at bay. 

3. O'Malley was pretty solid most of the night. Better run than expected, and good zip on his balls. So much so, that the receivers were dropping or double catching balls. One drop led to pick and subsequent Mentor TD. His lone mistake was getting greedy on an intermediate route into traffic on the final drive of the 4th quarter that led to an interception. 

4. Despite rumors that he would not play, MLB Hankins suited up. However, he was clearly not himself. IN fact, the interior of the defense was a weak point throughout the game. Eds edge rushers were pushing the pocket back, but when Kipp stepped up to run, there was no one in the middle to stop him. 

5. A rare bad defensive game-plan from Pete Pappas. They reverted to the defense they played in week one last year instead of the defense that shut Mentor down in the playoffs. No blitzing, passive, and letting the action come to them instead of forcing the action. Kipp is a bit erratic when he gets pressure up the middle, and Eds applied none. 

6. Mentor o-line, despite losing two D1 players, played very well (especially the interior). Ed's has two talented edge guys in Pietrowski and Bixby, but they could not come up with a sack. Bixby, just a sophomore, will be fun to watch the next few years. Plays a little high at times, but will be tough to block when he finally hones his craft. 

7. Mentor's big three of Kipp, Trobel, and Floreia will be a nightmare for just about every defense they face this season. Kipp still needs to improve mechanically as a passer, but he's such a threat with his feet.  The diminutive, but powerful Trobel hits the hole hard and is tough to get a hand on in space. He is poised for another monster year. 

8. Mentor's defense will continue to be an issue for them. The freshman phenom Brenan Vernon will be good, but it will take time. 

9. Perhaps it was first game jitters, but Ed's needs to clean up the dumb penalties. Offsides on defense extending a drive for a TD. Personal foul that extended a drive. Long snap that was launched 20 feet over the punters head resulting in a game-deciding safety.

10. On a national scale, I don't see either of these teams as top 25 material. Not yet.  

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, OdbCle said:

For those of you that frequent yappi, I gave some of my thoughts from the game over there, but here is the gist of it:

1. With Wainwright sidelined, Eds offense does not have any downfield threats. Not sure how long Mac will be out (he was wearing a boot), but they may need to force a guy like Montorie Foster into action earlier than expected. Simon and Skinner are good second options (both need to work on their hands), but there is no number one receiver on the field right now. 

2. Formani is a beast who rarely goes down on first contact. Mentor sold out to stop him, and he still got his yards. However, Eds cannot rely on him against the better defenses. There needs to be a downfield threat to keep defenses at bay. 

3. O'Malley was pretty solid most of the night. Better run than expected, and good zip on his balls. So much so, that the receivers were dropping or double catching balls. One drop led to pick and subsequent Mentor TD. His lone mistake was getting greedy on an intermediate route into traffic on the final drive of the 4th quarter that led to an interception. 

4. Despite rumors that he would not play, MLB Hankins suited up. However, he was clearly not himself. IN fact, the interior of the defense was a weak point throughout the game. Eds edge rushers were pushing the pocket back, but when Kipp stepped up to run, there was no one in the middle to stop him. 

5. A rare bad defensive game-plan from Pete Pappas. They reverted to the defense they played in week one last year instead of the defense that shut Mentor down in the playoffs. No blitzing, passive, and letting the action come to them instead of forcing the action. Kipp is a bit erratic when he gets pressure up the middle, and Eds applied none. 

6. Mentor o-line, despite losing two D1 players, played very well (especially the interior). Ed's has two talented edge guys in Pietrowski and Bixby, but they could not come up with a sack. Bixby, just a sophomore, will be fun to watch the next few years. Plays a little high at times, but will be tough to block when he finally hones his craft. 

7. Mentor's big three of Kipp, Trobel, and Floreia will be a nightmare for just about every defense they face this season. Kipp still needs to improve mechanically as a passer, but he's such a threat with his feet.  The diminutive, but powerful Trobel hits the hole hard and is tough to get a hand on in space. He is poised for another monster year. 

8. Mentor's defense will continue to be an issue for them. The freshman phenom Brenan Vernon will be good, but it will take time. 

9. Perhaps it was first game jitters, but Ed's needs to clean up the dumb penalties. Offsides on defense extending a drive for a TD. Personal foul that extended a drive. Long snap that was launched 20 feet over the punters head resulting in a game-deciding safety.

10. On a national scale, I don't see either of these teams as top 25 material. Not yet.  

Have you seen some of the teams that they have ranked in the top 25?

I thought both teams looked pretty good. Mentors offense looked pretty solid for week 1!

Was definitely looking for Wainwright to provide some kind of downfield threat. Figured he was out when I didn't see him. Formani was impressive but can't carry the load by himself.

As far as top 25.....I think fringe top 25 is about right.

20 hours ago, Coletrain06 said:

I thought both teams looked pretty good. Mentors offense looked pretty solid for week 1!

Was definitely looking for Wainwright to provide some kind of downfield threat. Figured he was out when I didn't see him. Formani was impressive but can't carry the load by himself.

As far as top 25.....I think fringe top 25 is about right.

It looked like OHIO football. 

I was disappointed that Ed lost it though. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, OdbCle said:

Might need to slow the roll on the Lakota West hype-train after that thumping La Salle put on them. Even with Bolden's departure and the influx of talent to Princeton, I maintained that the GMC still goes trough Colerain and I stand by that. 

Fairfield is winning the GMC this year and I will stick to that pick as long as McClain is healthy.