DLS/Folsom Week!

DLS_Spartan

DLS/Folsom Week is HERE!  

36 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins the matchup of the week?

• DLS
    • Folsom

2 hours ago, DogPile said:

Of Folsom's 4 SBG winners, my feeling is that 2017 and 2018 were the weakest. 

2 hours ago, THEOC89 said:

Can you elaborate more on why you think Folsom’s Offense and Defense are Both Better then Last year?...,

Would also be interested to know why you think they were “The Weakest” of Folsom’s SBG winners?...

1 hour ago, Blueliner said:

I'm confused by his whole post to be honest. '17 and '18 were the two weakest teams? Folsom's amassed talent last year was unparalleled by any other Folsom team...on both sides of the ball.

I don't necessarily agree with his take on the current team, but I will defend his statement regarding the 4 SBG winners.

I'm not a Folsom fan (outside of rooting for the SFL and SJS once Regional and State games are played), but I have seen a lot of their teams/games dating back to 2008.

Now, DogPile was only ranking the teams that played in the CIF State Championships, which isn't necessarily their best 4 teams. Regardless, of the 4 I'm already on record ranking them as such: 2014, 2010, 2018, 2017. If you want the reasons why, I'd be happy to break it down, but I'll leave it at that for now.

I think arguments for 2015 (lost Bellarmine in Regionals) and 2013 (lost to DLS in Regional) can be made over the 2017 which I firmly believe is the weakest of the 4 State title teams. But he only qualified the SBG participants.

Lastly, even if the 2014 or 2010 teams had played and lost to DLS (or a SoCal team in the SBG) by a significant margin -- I'd still claim that those were the two best they've ever fielded.

2010 got blown out by Grant Union early in the season and then beat a lesser and injury-riddled version in the Section Final (still believe a healthy Pacers team was better), but that particular Folsom team improved over the course of the season to the point where I'd have them #2. They had the best dual threat QB they've ever had and a future NFL player in Jordan Richards.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, DogPile said:

I think that Folsom's D is much better this year, and the offense is as good or better. 

Well, for Folsom's sake and all of us non-DLS NorCal'ers, I hope you're right. Cause their D was pretty good in last years game. But can the line play (on both sides of the ball) hold up? That's the real key. We know they have the skill players.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Blueliner said:

Folsom's D is better THIS year? Uh...no. I've seen that defense in action. They are going to have a hard time stopping DLS in my opinion. Last year's D was much more stout and athletic along the DL and backers. And I'm really confused about his statement of the offense is better. The former head coach, Kaiden Bennett, J. Nagata, and those 2-3 D1 linemen that put up video game numbers would beg to differ. But the good news for them is that they're gonna have a chance to prove it on Fri. I'll be the first to step up and say that I was wrong.

I tend to side with your assessment on this.

BTW, IDK if I'm misremembering -- but don't you live near the SAC area? Are you gonna attend this game too?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ThunderRam said:

I don't necessarily agree with his take on the current team, but I will defend his statement regarding the 4 SBG winners.

I'm not a Folsom fan (outside of rooting for the SFL and SJS once Regional and State games are played), but I have seen a lot of their teams/games dating back to 2008.

Now, DogPile was only ranking the teams that played in the CIF State Championships, which isn't necessarily their best 4 teams. Regardless, of the 4 I'm already on record ranking them as such: 2014, 2010, 2018, 2017. If you want the reasons why, I'd be happy to break it down, but I'll leave it at that for now.

I think arguments for 2015 (lost Bellarmine in Regionals) and 2013 (lost to DLS in Regional) can be made over the 2017 which I firmly believe is the weakest of the 4 State title teams. But he only qualified the SBG participants.

Lastly, even if the 2014 or 2010 teams had played and lost to DLS (or a SoCal team in the SBG) by a significant margin -- I'd still claim that those were the two best they've ever fielded.

2010 got blown out by Grant Union early in the season and then beat a lesser and injury-riddled version in the Section Final (still believe a healthy Pacers team was better), but that particular Folsom team improved over the course of the season to the point where I'd have them #2. They had the best dual threat QB they've ever had and a future NFL player in Jordan Richards.

I agree with this 100%

16 hours ago, AztecPadre said:

Haha come on dude. I really start to feel so bad for you when you pull this multi personality disorder.  Just stop talking to yourself and even worse liking your own posts and just pick one or the other per thread.

All you have to do is hit up the mods. They can verify if @DLS_Spartan is me or not. It isn't rocket science.

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, ThunderRam said:

I tend to side with your assessment on this.

BTW, IDK if I'm misremembering -- but don't you live near the SAC area? Are you gonna attend this game too?

Your memory is a steal trap.🤣 I live in Folsom...I've got a TRUE home game. Chance of attendance = 100.79%. We should meet up and shake hands. We just missed each other at Sac State a few years back. 

Last year's Folsom D was much better than I expected. I fully admitted it. Loved the LB corps. I forget the one kid's name, but he was a terror all game against the run. But unfortunately he's the one that got snickered on Foskey's TD to give DLS the first TD of the game. They were legit pretty much across the board. This year's D has a few pieces, but we'll have to wait and see how they look as a unit against DLS. They surprised last year, but I saw them against Jesuit...not sure they've got the war dogs in their front 7 from last year. Don't have to wait long, thankfully!

And the O can't be better, can it? Not yet at least, right? I mean Coach R had that team humming with a seasoned D1 QB and a bunch of 2-3 year starters...AND all of the studs on this year's team. 

Overall, your rankings of the Folsom teams are certainly reasonable and supportable. I personally would them ranked them 2018, 2014, 2010, 2017. Any of the first 3 could be number 1. It'da been nice to see that '14 play somebody really good to see what they had. But the '18 team just had so many more athletes across the board then the previous teams. Although, D1s aren't everything, they help. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, ThunderRam said:

I don’t say this to ruffle any feathers, but I’m far less confident in Folsom’s chances this season than last season. I hope I’m wrong.

I firmly believe Folsom was a deeper, more well rounded team last year. DLS seems to be as good if not better than last season.

Defensively, I think Folsom will be hard pressed to duplicate what they accomplished last time out. But can their offense perform better? 

Possibly. Not only did they blow several opportunities to score in the 2018 game, I felt they were too reliant upon forcing the ball to Joe Ngata and didn’t distribute enough to Daniyel Ngata and Elihjah Badger. If their new QB’s play better than Bennett did, they might produce better results on that side of the field.

Still, games against DLS usually boil down to line play. Can Folsom compete in that area as well as they did last year? If they can, they’ll compete well.

I just feel that their best opportunity came in 2018 and they didn’t get it done.

But l’ll for sure be rooting for them to pull off the monumental upset. I’ll just be extremely surprised if it actually happens.

How good is Folsoms line on both sides?  Do they have size? 

11 hours ago, ThunderRam said:

Well, ruffle the feathers of the Folsom contingent and fellow NorCal’ers. But, yes, I obviously feel it’s an unbiased POV. As much as I’d like to see Folsom win it, I just don’t believe they’ve got close to the same shot as last year.

And, yes, I am planning on attending.

I'm on the other side.  I have a feeling Folsom will be able to pull this out.  If the line can give Ngata just a small hole, then he will run wild.  DLS's linebackers are not what they were last year.  Neither is their DLine.  Of course I hope I'm wrong, but I see Folsom pulling out a close win. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, AztecPadre said:

How good is Folsoms line on both sides?  Do they have size? 

Their lines are all over 230 lbs mostly juniors. Probably around similar size to DLS. 

They have two standouts so far. Jake Melander 6'0 250 pounds might be the strongest kid in Cali (Gold medal under 18 front/back squat) and DeShawn Lynch  6'4  280 pounds.   I think the lines is where Folsom is going to lose. They have good LB's and their DBs are very good. Last year their D line was extremely good but their O line couldn't hang with DLS. Bennett was scrambling all game. I think their lines will struggle again this year to be honest.  

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, AztecPadre said:

I'm on the other side.  I have a feeling Folsom will be able to pull this out.  If the line can give Ngata just a small hole, then he will run wild.  DLS's linebackers are not what they were last year.  Neither is their DLine.  Of course I hope I'm wrong, but I see Folsom pulling out a close win. 

If they would have stuck to the Ngata run last year they could have won. Richardson was obsessed with trying to throw it to Joe. smh

• Like 2