Should college athletes be paid?

imaGoodBoyNow

It’s been swirling around on here, but trolling keeps ruining those threads so let’s try this one more time

whats your opinion on paying players 

for me these kids will not be looking for the school with best education and football but will now chose their school based on what school will pay you the most money to play 

1 minute ago, 181pl said:

F#CK NO!

They get a free education, good, housing, meals, stipends, etc.

If so, it should only be to increase the stipends to maybe $2k per month, which is plenty beer $ for a college kid.

And you just assume that college kids are always out getting drunk??

Quit stereotyping just because of a few morons

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 181pl said:

F#CK NO!

They get a free education, good, housing, meals, stipends, etc.

If so, it should only be to increase the stipends to maybe $2k per month, which is plenty beer $ for a college kid.

I totally forgot that back in day when I was playing community college lacrosse, we were paid like $60 a day on away games. Lmao 😂 

6 minutes ago, imaGoodBoyNow said:

It’s been swirling around on here, but trolling keeps ruining those threads so let’s try this one more time

for me these kids will not be looking for the school with best education and football but will now chose their school based on what school will pay you the most money to play 

As if schools like bama, Michigan, Ohio State, Florida, Notre Dame, Texas, Oklahoma and USC aren't already paying players under the table 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Columbiafan said:

As if schools like bama, Michigan, Ohio State, Florida, Notre Dame, Texas, Oklahoma and USC aren't already paying players under the table 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

I’m saying if they paid them money on the books, I know there’s colleges that can afford to pay their players whatever, so they’ll get all the athletes that other university’s that can’t pay that much unless there’s a limit on how much a college can offer a kid

10 minutes ago, imaGoodBoyNow said:

I’m saying if they paid them money on the books, I know there’s colleges that can afford to pay their players whatever, so they’ll get all the athletes that other university’s that can’t pay that much unless there’s a limit on how much a college can offer a kid

They can always set those limits but again even if they don't allow it there will still be money under the table

But the law passed had more to do with endorsement money and letting businesses pay money to athletes as well as letting them benefit off their likeness

It wasn't really about the school paying the players 

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, imaGoodBoyNow said:

They are already paid, through barter. I think you are asking if they should get a raise. 

I would say no. Most are already overcompensated. 

• Like 1

Ain't that basically how many view athletes, they want them to go break each other's necks and keep their mouth shut??

That they shouldn't have opinions on real world issues which is why some people get all triggered when athletes talk politics because apparently "stupid athletes aren't smart enough to talk politics" 

Which btw is a pathetic stereotype to assume because someone an athlete they aren't smart enough to discuss this stuff

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Kalven said:

NO.... because that's what scholarships are for.

YES.... it'll balance out CFB as a whole. More lower tier teams will get better recruits because the top tier teams has already met their budget.

I don't think college players really need to get any extra money from the schools

Just let them make money off their own likeness, non athletes in college are able to (YouTube channels for example)

Why can't the athletes claim money based off their hard work??

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, imaGoodBoyNow said:

I totally forgot that back in day when I was playing community college lacrosse, we were paid like $60 a day on away games. Lmao 😂 

Community college and lax. Ofcourse you werent getting shit. D1 football generates millions. Im not sure if they should get payed but atleast raise their stipends,  it just sucks for other d1 sports that dont generate much and or are on partial schollys like baseball/track etc

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Columbiafan said:

I don't think college players really need to get any extra money from the schools

Just let them make money off their own likeness, non athletes in college are able to (YouTube channels for example)

I totally agree.... But can you imagine each schools having a budget to spend. Bama and Clemson won't get all the top recruits because these kids would want their worth.  

12 minutes ago, Columbiafan said:

Yes. This would be great

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Columbiafan said:

They can always set those limits but again even if they don't allow it there will still be money under the table

But the law passed had more to do with endorsement money and letting businesses pay money to athletes as well as letting them benefit off their likeness

It wasn't really about the school paying the players 

Okay I’m confused now , what are college athletes asking for??? For colleges to pay them ?? Or is it for ncaa to let the athletes make money off  sponsors and endorsements???

Remember football scholarships pay for education, housing, 3 meals a day, per diem, team clothing, health care, access to nutritionists and tutors, and more. Not to mention the earning potential is much higher for a college grad than someone without it. It's easily worth 50-100 grand a year depending on the school.

Let's flip the script. Should former college athletes pay back a yearly amount of their professional contracts to the colleges that developed them? In professional soccer, when a team pays money during a trade, a portion of that money goes to the team that developed the athlete during their formative years.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, imaGoodBoyNow said:

Okay I’m confused now , what are college athletes asking for??? For colleges to pay them ?? Or is it for ncaa to let the athletes make money off  sponsors and endorsements???

The law in my understanding is to allow companies/boosters to endorse players and for players to be able to use their likeness to make money on stuff like autographs

So, maybe we should answer this question with a question... 

Should high school athletes get paid? 

Schools and other profiteers make money by selling merchandise like jerseys with the players' number on it. They make money selling tickets to the games. Etc. Etc. 

Should the high school player be allowed to put his or her face on a flat with some team graphics and sell it? Should the player be able to burn his name and number along with a team logo onto a football, a volley ball, a soccer ball and sell it? 

7 minutes ago, HawgGoneIt said:

So, maybe we should answer this question with a question... 

Should high school athletes get paid? 

Schools and other profiteers make money by selling merchandise like jerseys with the players' number on it. They make money selling tickets to the games. Etc. Etc. 

Should the high school player be allowed to put his or her face on a flat with some team graphics and sell it? Should the player be able to burn his name and number along with a team logo onto a football, a volley ball, a soccer ball and sell it? 

Ill answer that question to your  question with another question 

should pop Warner teams pay their players?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, westbankeagle said:

Remember football scholarships pay for education, housing, 3 meals a day, per diem, team clothing, health care, access to nutritionists and tutors, and more. Not to mention the earning potential is much higher for a college grad than someone without it. It's easily worth 50-100 grand a year depending on the school.

Let's flip the script. Should former college athletes pay back a yearly amount of their professional contracts to the colleges that developed them? In professional soccer, when a team pays money during a trade, a portion of that money goes to the team that developed the athlete during their formative years.

Lol you really think they should pay back for something their talent earned them? They already make the schools millions. Im not saying pay them but let them make money of their name. They cant even get jobs

• Like 1