Should college athletes be paid?

imaGoodBoyNow

12 minutes ago, Columbiafan said:

Maybe as a way to guarantee studs earlier 

Like someone like Cincinnati or Miami could have tried signing Trevor lawarance out of high school and develop him for the future instead of hoping they get number 1 pick when it comes time to draft him

Oh don't even get me started on their shouldn't be professional drafts. A player should be able to sign with whatever team they want coming out of school.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Columbiafan said:

Only downside is the draft makes it easier for bad teams to get better 

Taking away draft might take away a major way teams use to rebuild 

Now apply this thought process to how much more difficult it could be for a Rutgers or smaller market team to land the players that could make them better. 

Think a top player is going to go to UCF when Alabama gets way more news and t.v. coverage? 

Hell no they aren't. This is why I brought up that the relationship is symbiotic between the schools, players and NCAA. None exist without the others. 

2 minutes ago, HawgGoneIt said:

There will be unintended consequences to this law. 

Then they'll have to make a law to fix the law, and when there is more unintended consequences, yet another and another. So on and so forth. 

I do hope this leads to schools forming their own league and leaving NCAA in the cold

Cut out the middle man

13 minutes ago, HawgGoneIt said:

Now apply thos thought process to how much more difficult it could be for a Rutgers or smaller market team to land the players that could make them better. 

Think a top player is going to go to UCF when Alabama gets way more news and t.v. coverage? 

Hell no they aren't. This is why I brought up that the relationship is symbiotic between the schools, players and NCAA. None exist without the others. 

That would imply you think this is not how it is now. I would hope you don't believe that. The big schools of the world have the broken systems loopholes mastered. If there was no loopholes to worry about then everyone is on a much more even playing field than there is now. There are plenty of rich alums of crappy schools. Most of them don't care enough to break the rules. Let it be something that can help them and their school and not worry about getting in trouble then we have a whole new ballgame. 

24 minutes ago, imaGoodBoyNow said:

How the hell does that even work? I’m curious 

no drafts? 🤔 

Keep the current team salary cap structure, take off maximum player salary caps and let college players sign where they want. Let college players decide if they want to chase the money or the rings. It's a much harder decision for a kid coming from college with no money in the bank than a superstar who has made 8 figures. Let's make these upper management team guys earn their money and not luck out on a lottery or tank to the detriment of the fans.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, PrepForce said:

That would imply you think this is not how it is now. I would hope you don't believe that. The big schools of the world have the broken systems loopholes mastered. If there was no loopholes to worry about then everyone is on a much more even playing field than there is now. There are plenty of rich alums of crappy schools. Most of them don't care enough to break the rules. Let it be something that can help them and their school and not worry about getting in trouble then we have a whole new ballgame. 

Maybe. Or maybe the alumni continue to not care as they do now or they'd have figured how to master the system as the others have. 

It could be as you say, or, it could create the situation where what we have now is the same except on steroids. 

There is only one way to find out. 

Now, what if the next is that players unionize and go above wanting to profit from their likeness. What if the next is they want pay from the schools since the coaches make millions you know? Etc. 

3 hours ago, HawgGoneIt said:

So, maybe we should answer this question with a question... 

Should high school athletes get paid? 

Schools and other profiteers make money by selling merchandise like jerseys with the players' number on it. They make money selling tickets to the games. Etc. Etc. 

Should the high school player be allowed to put his or her face on a flat with some team graphics and sell it? Should the player be able to burn his name and number along with a team logo onto a football, a volley ball, a soccer ball and sell it? 

Yes.  If they are 18 and up.

1 hour ago, HawgGoneIt said:

So, what if the colleges now say, pay your own way then? Or, perhaps they just cut the amounts they give for scholarships. 

I'm not saying one way is right or wrong, just saying that there is always a next. Today, California has voted to allow amateur athletes to make profits from what is in fact a symbiotic relationship. 

The school needs the athlete and the athlete needs the school. They survive together off of each other. It's not like the athlete gets nothing from the relationship. They get tons of exposure which is pretty well priceless, they get their education paid for. They get personal trainers to continue their training throughout their time at college. They get stipends. They get a lot already. 

Without the school, the athlete couldn't get the exposure that would allow for them to make money from their likeness or autograph. Without the athlete, the school couldn't give scholarships, stipends and other forms of "pay." 

You actually do touch on schools stand to lose something here. Potential advertising dollars that could go directly to an athlete. What will be the impact of that loss of revenue on scholarships that are for other sports that don't generate the same revenues? 

The main argument I see from most folks, is that the NCAA makes millions so the student athlete should make something too. Yet, we ignore the fact that the athlete is getting a lot from the NCAA, and the school already. 

Then we ignore the precedent that it sets for "the next." 

It's easy to get stuck on something like you have. "It's that kids God given gift, so that kid should be allowed to profit from it." It's very easy to just think that far and stop. Where does that stop though? Does it go all the way to pop warner as more and more folks are finding ways to promote and profit from children? 

Do you cut it off at adulthood, which would be college kids? 

What if you say, "Ok, adulthood then."? Who is to stop someone from building from the precedent down to age 13 anyway though? Then, down to 8? 

Well then the colleges that try this, will not be getting the players and the players will go to the college that lets them earn on their likeness. Simple.

3 hours ago, Texasvic said:

Lol you really think they should pay back for something their talent earned them? They already make the schools millions. Im not saying pay them but let them make money of their name. They cant even get jobs

I'm not even sure what you mean. That's like saying I shouldn't have to pay back interest on a loan because my credit earned me the principle.

16 minutes ago, HawgGoneIt said:

Maybe. Or maybe the alumni continue to not care as they do now or they'd have figured how to master the system as the others have. 

It could be as you say, or, it could create the situation where what we have now is the same except on steroids. 

There is only one way to find out. 

Now, what if the next is that players unionize and go above wanting to profit from their likeness. What if the next is they want pay from the schools since the coaches make millions you know? Etc. 

I think the difference is as I said the ability for the "payers" actual business to benefit not just their team. You could have a rich alum who is not a big enough football fan to care to cheat but does understand the value that his team's players could have to his business. He likely enjoys when his team is good but doesn't live and die with it. Am I guaranteeing it will level the playing field? Absolutely not. Quite frankly leveling the playing field comes way after the players getting their right to do what every other person in the world can do which is profit off their own likeness and not be able to benefit from their skill. If it levels the playing field then that is a great benefit.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, westbankeagle said:

I'm not even sure what you mean. That's like saying I shouldn't have to pay back interest on a loan because my credit earned me the principle.

Theirs no correlation between interest and earning a scholarship, you say if players want to get payed they should pay the school back. Imagine thinking that

1 hour ago, HawgGoneIt said:

Anyway... Thanks @PrepForce for a great and spirited discussion! I have some other stuff to attend to. You're a pretty alright guy, idc what @GardenStateBaller and @PrepGridironsay about you. xD

This has been very thought provoking, especially for an @imaGoodBoyNow thread. 

I was told that I don’t contribute to this website so I was on a mission to prove my haters wrong 😵🤠

but all seriousness this is a Very interesting topic,  there’s no real answer, way to many moving parts

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, imaGoodBoyNow said:

I was told that I don’t contribute to this website so I was on a mission to prove my haters wrong 😵🤠

but all seriousness this is a Very interesting topic,  there’s no real answer, way to many moving parts

It's like so much of life... a big experiment of trial and error. 

Personally, I'm from the "if it aint broke, don't fix it" train of thought. The system has been working for as long as I can remember. Suddenly, it's some big deal and has to be destroyed. 

Lol. 

• Like 1