Friday Night Strategy At Lilburn

Rufus69

OK...Coach Rogers is pulling out all the stops for Friday night's game.   I understand that we applied (2) huge dump trucks of mud and plowed dirt in the IPF and wet it down further so we could practice on a tundra similar to the one Parkview has.  I know...I know...it looks like them fellers would put their money where it should go instead of spending it on academia...but that's Yankees for ya.

Some of our combatants complained...mostly the cheerleaders...but they were told...it is what it is.  Live with it.

A few people were blaming Rush.  A few people were blaming the Colquitt admin.  But most of the people are blaming the refs.  That seems to be the thing to do these days.

Finally...if you've never been to the Big Orange Jungle...you ain't missed much.  But I will say...they used to have some of the finest porta-potties money could buy...on the visitors side.

Rufus>>

1 hour ago, HawgGoneIt said:

It would be nice if we had something at least near 2k fans go up though. I hope we travel heavy, and I'm wrong about the numbers.

Well...I know we're renting at least one plane to take Packer fans up.  So maybe we'll have around 1,500 or so.  I heard it might be nasty weather...one more time.   That...and GPB will cut attendance down tremendously.  North Morven has Parkview favored by 7.  I figure that's pretty close.

I do not like playing up there.   The only place worse...that we've been to...is the field at Norcross.  Quagmire...would be a compliment.  The downside of losing to Lowndes.....

Rufus>>

I was gonna say that this would be our first game on grass(being nice and calling it grass) this year, but, we did play a scrimmage on grass down at Lake City. 

I had forgotten about that being actual grass until I clicked on this disturber story a moment ago.

https://www.moultrieobserver.com/sports/local_sports/colquitt-s-nd-round-parkview-resembling-panthers-of-a-powerful/article_94384ca8-0b1f-11ea-ad0b-6fd43c4340b1.html

Colquitt's 2nd round: Parkview resembling Panthers of a powerful past

By Matthew Brown

17 min ago

MOULTRIE – What is there to know about Parkview High football? Aside from “good team” and “traditional powerhouse?”

What’s important to know in 2019 is it’s the dream match-up of the GHSA 7A second round, 9-2 Colquitt County High visiting 10-1 and Region 7-7A champion Parkview at The Big Orange Jungle in Lilburn Friday.

These are two programs that put together some championship-filled decade-long runs of success, and for Parkview that was from 1997-2002 with four titles in six seasons and a 46-game winning streak under soon-to-be GACA Hall of Fame coach Cecil Flowe.

The Packers of first-year head coach Justin Rogers, looking for its third 7A finals berth in a row but also its first championship win since the 30-0 run from 2014-15, defeated North Cobb High 35-7 at home in the opening round. That came two weeks after a 28-17 loss to Lowndes that put Colquitt in the No. 2 playoff position in Region 1-7A.

The Parkview Panthers are on a nine-game winning streak since losing to … Lowndes High 38-7 at Martin Stadium back on Sept. 6. In that game the Vikings were ahead 28-7 at halftime, rushed for 319 yards (24 first downs) and held Parkview to 22 on the ground.

The winning streak began against another member of Region 1-7A, Tift County, at The Big Orange Jungle. The Panthers won 20-7 Sept. 20, and the following week they faced defending state champion Milton on the road and prevailed 16-7.

After the 31-24 win over Norcross on Oct. 4, the next six games saw Parkview give up a total of 68 points. Its lowest offensive output over that same span was the 35 against West Forsyth in the first round.

What is the biggest thing to look out for when the Panthers have the football? Is it focused on the running game, or does Parkview throw the ball all over the field?

The regular season finale, a 38-14 win over Central Gwinnett, tells you to be ready to stop the run. Tyler Curtis carried 11 times for 157 yards and three touchdowns.

But wait, in beating West Forsyth last week, quarterback Jordan Williams completed 18-of-26 passes for 228 yards and three touchdowns. Curtis was still around, carrying 13 times for 98 yards and a touchdown, and yet another Panther, Jasir Smith, netted 106 yards on six totes.

By the way, neither Curtis nor Smith are Parkview’s leading rusher for the season. That’s Cody Brown, a 1,000-yard gainer who has not played since Nov. 1. As a team, the Panthers have 2,432 yards running the ball with 28 touchdowns.

“I’m looking forward to it,” said Rogers about his first visit to Parkview’s venue.

“They are a big tradition school known for winning. They have a running back who is really, really good. They have two really good. They are balanced on offense. The quarterback’s savvy. Defensively they have two inside linebackers who are extremely good, Division I kids. They have a Division I corner and a Division I safety and a Division I D-lineman. Very talented defense.”

Rogers is going to prepare Colquitt County this week to face Brown, which he says is no different than preparing for Curtis.

“From everything we’ve heard, he’ll be back this week,” said Rogers. “Both of them are big backs, big, big body backs. They are downhill; reminds me of old-school Jerome Bettis. Bruisers. They have a big O-line, but we’ve been going against big O-lines all year. I would compare them to Camden’s O-line. They are going to cover you up and that big guy’s going to find the gap.”

In the passing game, Williams has two targets of note. CJ Daniels had the big game in the first round, eight catches for 154 yards and two touchdowns. The leading receiver for the season, though, is Jared Brown with 780 yards and 11 touchdowns.

“They are going to take what they need to take,” said Rogers. “In the Tift game, Tift did a good job with their D-line of taking the run away, and (Parkview) went to the pass. They have good receivers.”

The Colquitt County defense is coming off another game of not giving up an offensive touchdown. The only points allowed to North Cobb came on special teams via a blocked punt.

Three things about the Panther defense: First, West Forsyth scored 14 points, but all in the final 2:05 of regulation. Second, Mason Huntley was credited with three sacks in that same game. Third, Central Gwinnett features Skylar Adams, who ended up as the state’s leader in passing yards after the regular season. Parkview gave up 240 yards (21-for-30) to Adams, but intercepted him three times.

“It goes back to they have two guys in the secondary with Division I offers,” said Rogers. “They are very fast, athletic, break on balls well. (Up front) they will create little blitzes and match-up patterns to get one-on-one with your guards.

“We are going to have the win the line on defense, win first down. We have to get them off schedule. First down is going to be key, get them in long yard situations so they are not out there doing long, methodical drives keeping our people on the sideline. Offensively we have to win one-on-one battles. We have to hit those throws when we get it and establish a run game so they have to go to one-on-one battles.”

Rogers saw the Packers unable to get North Cobb off the field for a half, but the Warriors’ long, methodical drives did not result in points. He said the offense won those one-on-one’s in the second half, and North Cobb was worn down enough that Daijun Edwards was able to most of his 89 yards rushing.

Rogers said playoff games are going to be close for a half, and then it’s a matter of who can separate themselves closing it out.

The game at The Big Orange Jungle will also be the first for Colquitt on a grass field. Practice the last two days was on a Packer Park soccer field.

“We haven’t played on grass since the Columbia (Fla.) scrimmage game,” said Rogers. “We felt like we needed to get out here on a natural surface. I think it will be different (from synthetic turf) this time of year because natural fields get beat up so much. It’s a dormant growing season now. Especially after last Friday being so rainy, there’s no telling what it will be like.”

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, HawgGoneIt said:

I was gonna say that this would be our first game on grass(being nice and calling it grass) this year, but, we did play a scrimmage on grass down at Lake City. 

I had forgotten about that being actual grass until I clicked on this disturber story a moment ago.

https://www.moultrieobserver.com/sports/local_sports/colquitt-s-nd-round-parkview-resembling-panthers-of-a-powerful/article_94384ca8-0b1f-11ea-ad0b-6fd43c4340b1.html

Colquitt's 2nd round: Parkview resembling Panthers of a powerful past

By Matthew Brown

17 min ago

MOULTRIE – What is there to know about Parkview High football? Aside from “good team” and “traditional powerhouse?”

What’s important to know in 2019 is it’s the dream match-up of the GHSA 7A second round, 9-2 Colquitt County High visiting 10-1 and Region 7-7A champion Parkview at The Big Orange Jungle in Lilburn Friday.

These are two programs that put together some championship-filled decade-long runs of success, and for Parkview that was from 1997-2002 with four titles in six seasons and a 46-game winning streak under soon-to-be GACA Hall of Fame coach Cecil Flowe.

The Packers of first-year head coach Justin Rogers, looking for its third 7A finals berth in a row but also its first championship win since the 30-0 run from 2014-15, defeated North Cobb High 35-7 at home in the opening round. That came two weeks after a 28-17 loss to Lowndes that put Colquitt in the No. 2 playoff position in Region 1-7A.

The Parkview Panthers are on a nine-game winning streak since losing to … Lowndes High 38-7 at Martin Stadium back on Sept. 6. In that game the Vikings were ahead 28-7 at halftime, rushed for 319 yards (24 first downs) and held Parkview to 22 on the ground.

The winning streak began against another member of Region 1-7A, Tift County, at The Big Orange Jungle. The Panthers won 20-7 Sept. 20, and the following week they faced defending state champion Milton on the road and prevailed 16-7.

After the 31-24 win over Norcross on Oct. 4, the next six games saw Parkview give up a total of 68 points. Its lowest offensive output over that same span was the 35 against West Forsyth in the first round.

What is the biggest thing to look out for when the Panthers have the football? Is it focused on the running game, or does Parkview throw the ball all over the field?

The regular season finale, a 38-14 win over Central Gwinnett, tells you to be ready to stop the run. Tyler Curtis carried 11 times for 157 yards and three touchdowns.

But wait, in beating West Forsyth last week, quarterback Jordan Williams completed 18-of-26 passes for 228 yards and three touchdowns. Curtis was still around, carrying 13 times for 98 yards and a touchdown, and yet another Panther, Jasir Smith, netted 106 yards on six totes.

By the way, neither Curtis nor Smith are Parkview’s leading rusher for the season. That’s Cody Brown, a 1,000-yard gainer who has not played since Nov. 1. As a team, the Panthers have 2,432 yards running the ball with 28 touchdowns.

“I’m looking forward to it,” said Rogers about his first visit to Parkview’s venue.

“They are a big tradition school known for winning. They have a running back who is really, really good. They have two really good. They are balanced on offense. The quarterback’s savvy. Defensively they have two inside linebackers who are extremely good, Division I kids. They have a Division I corner and a Division I safety and a Division I D-lineman. Very talented defense.”

Rogers is going to prepare Colquitt County this week to face Brown, which he says is no different than preparing for Curtis.

“From everything we’ve heard, he’ll be back this week,” said Rogers. “Both of them are big backs, big, big body backs. They are downhill; reminds me of old-school Jerome Bettis. Bruisers. They have a big O-line, but we’ve been going against big O-lines all year. I would compare them to Camden’s O-line. They are going to cover you up and that big guy’s going to find the gap.”

In the passing game, Williams has two targets of note. CJ Daniels had the big game in the first round, eight catches for 154 yards and two touchdowns. The leading receiver for the season, though, is Jared Brown with 780 yards and 11 touchdowns.

“They are going to take what they need to take,” said Rogers. “In the Tift game, Tift did a good job with their D-line of taking the run away, and (Parkview) went to the pass. They have good receivers.”

The Colquitt County defense is coming off another game of not giving up an offensive touchdown. The only points allowed to North Cobb came on special teams via a blocked punt.

Three things about the Panther defense: First, West Forsyth scored 14 points, but all in the final 2:05 of regulation. Second, Mason Huntley was credited with three sacks in that same game. Third, Central Gwinnett features Skylar Adams, who ended up as the state’s leader in passing yards after the regular season. Parkview gave up 240 yards (21-for-30) to Adams, but intercepted him three times.

“It goes back to they have two guys in the secondary with Division I offers,” said Rogers. “They are very fast, athletic, break on balls well. (Up front) they will create little blitzes and match-up patterns to get one-on-one with your guards.

“We are going to have the win the line on defense, win first down. We have to get them off schedule. First down is going to be key, get them in long yard situations so they are not out there doing long, methodical drives keeping our people on the sideline. Offensively we have to win one-on-one battles. We have to hit those throws when we get it and establish a run game so they have to go to one-on-one battles.”

Rogers saw the Packers unable to get North Cobb off the field for a half, but the Warriors’ long, methodical drives did not result in points. He said the offense won those one-on-one’s in the second half, and North Cobb was worn down enough that Daijun Edwards was able to most of his 89 yards rushing.

Rogers said playoff games are going to be close for a half, and then it’s a matter of who can separate themselves closing it out.

The game at The Big Orange Jungle will also be the first for Colquitt on a grass field. Practice the last two days was on a Packer Park soccer field.

“We haven’t played on grass since the Columbia (Fla.) scrimmage game,” said Rogers. “We felt like we needed to get out here on a natural surface. I think it will be different (from synthetic turf) this time of year because natural fields get beat up so much. It’s a dormant growing season now. Especially after last Friday being so rainy, there’s no telling what it will be like.”

I love the “tradition” articles. The jungle isn’t yankee stadium. The ghost of the frenchy isn’t gonna get two pick sixes and send the piglets home. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I totally believe Parkview beating Colquitt would be an upset.

At the same time, we are definitely at the point in the season where little things can cost big. 

Colquitt should be able to take this game, but, who knows really? Maybe Parkview has the perfect game plan. Maybe Colquitt comes out flat to start the game again and Parkview is ready enough that Colquitt can't recover. 

Maybe the grass field is nasty and all of that becomes the ghost of frenchy as sweetlarry so eloquently put it. 

I think a similar score to the one Lowndes had with them should... should be the expectation, but, what we want and what we get are often not the same. 

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

Parkview is not coming within 17 of Colquitt.  Parkview has ONE WIN this season against a team with a +.500 record

Their last six contests were against the brutal gauntlet of: 0-10 Lakeside, 5-5 Berkmar, 3-7 Meadowcreek, 5-6 Brookwood, 2-9 Central Gwinnett, and 4-6 West Forsyth 

Parkview vs Tift was much closer than that 20-7 score indicated also. Tift turned the ball over on downs inside the Parkview seven yard line TWICE. Would-be TD was ruled out of bounds on a very close 4th down call and they were stuffed on another 4th down opportunity inside the three. That result was against a healthy Panthers team with Cody Brown. 

Parkview has played three teams with a pulse: a blowout loss (38-7), a struggle win (16-7) and a struggle win (20-7). That is not a championship caliber team  

D2BA9F92-9AF1-4CA2-8AFF-D359F2181F95.jpeg

Colquitt hasn't actually been "world beaters" this season.   First of all...we start off way too slow.  We try to push the envelope in the 2nd half.  Now if we ever frigging decide to play 4 Qtrs...we could be in fairly good shape.  It don't matter who Parkview has played.  It don't matter who Colquitt has played.  It's all about Colquitt matching up with Parkview on their field in Lilburn 230 miles away.  I would feel better if we were playing in Moultrie...but we're not.  Add to that...it's a televised game.  We're not gonna bring an over abundance of fans to Lilburn because of this.  I truly wish GPB had picked somebody else to screw up.

As far as I know...as of today...we're about as healthy as we've been in a while...so we should be OK in our skill positions.  Our lines are a bit "tender"...but at this point in the season...you play thru it.  This will be a good game.  Parkview is not gonna roll over and die at home.  Hopefully Colquitt will be able to take care of business.  I heard thru an unreliable source that our coaching staff was mulling going for it on most 4th downs...instead of punting. (I blame HawgGoneIt)  But truth be told....

Our guys simply need to....HAWG UP.

Rufus>>

• Haha 1

@Rufus69

Remember that time when Parkview came to the Pen and beat us? Was it '97? I think it was. 

I remember a lot of us had never seen such a show goin' on on the entrance and sidelines. May have been the first time we saw cheerleaders running in front of the team carrying big flags, and then running the sideline with them when they had big plays or scores. 

We were in the stands like...

What in tha hail are them folks a doin' o'er thar?!

giphy.gif.458199f86b17a7652cde681c8eaa13b0.gif

Then in the fourth quarter, we had figured it out. They were a whoopin' 'r ass o'er thar with that mess. 

xD

I think they bested Tift for the state ship the next week. I think they beat 'em so bad a flauntin' around like wild indians with them flags that it might have been the last time Tift sniffed the title. 

Now we all have some form of spirit team with flags. 

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, HawgGoneIt said:

@Rufus69

Remember that time when Parkview came to the Pen and beat us? Was it '97? I think it was. 

I remember a lot of us had never seen such a show goin' on on the entrance and sidelines. May have been the first time we saw cheerleaders running in front of the team carrying big flags, and then running the sideline with them when they had big plays or scores. 

We were in the stands like...

What in tha hail are them folks a doin' o'er thar?!

giphy.gif.458199f86b17a7652cde681c8eaa13b0.gif

Then in the fourth quarter, we had figured it out. They were a whoopin' 'r ass o'er thar with that mess. 

xD

I think they bested Tift for the state ship the next week. I think they beat 'em so bad a flauntin' around like wild indians with them flags that it might have been the last time Tift sniffed the title. 

Now we all have some form of spirit team with flags. 

Normally...I wouldn't test my memory...BUT...unfortunately...I still have the 1997 Semi-final game with Parkview burned into my brain.   If Rab were still able to post...you'd get a 20 page diatribe of how the refs STOLE that game from us.  It was in the Georgia Dome and I was there.  It was one of the strangest endings for a football game that I've ever attended...and that includes the mess up at Suwanee.  And yes...Parkview beat Tift the following week for the Championship.  I believe you're thinking of 2005...Cokely's first year...when Parkview came into the Hawg Pen and taught us not to be cocky.  It was indeed a show.  That's the year Cokely went for it on 4th down and 13...from our own 20.  The Panthers literally embarrassed us.  And Rab went into the basement.

I'm not gonna hold it against you for bringing up such a BAD memory...or at least that's what I'm telling you....(Smile).

Rufus>>

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Rufus69 said:

Normally...I wouldn't test my memory...BUT...unfortunately...I still have the 1997 Semi-final game with Parkview burned into my brain.   If Rab were still able to post...you'd get a 20 page diatribe of how the refs STOLE that game from us.  It was in the Georgia Dome and I was there.  It was one of the strangest endings for a football game that I've ever attended...and that includes the mess up at Suwanee.  And yes...Parkview beat Tift the following week for the Championship.  I believe you're thinking of 2005...Cokely's first year...when Parkview came into the Hawg Pen and taught us not to be cocky.  It was indeed a show.  That's the year Cokely went for it on 4th down and 13...from our own 20.  The Panthers literally embarrassed us.  And Rab went into the basement.

I'm not gonna hold it against you for bringing up such a BAD memory...or at least that's what I'm telling you....(Smile).

Rufus>>

I can't remember the year. I do remember it being at the pen though. Hell, maybe it was pre-97 before I moved off and missed a few years of games. 

We didn't even start painting our endzones up until around that time, and these high-falutin yankee teams was putting on pyrotechnics and had full on mascots, flags and such. 

I'll have to go research it now to figure it out. Pretty sure it was after our '94 championship though. 

Anyway, the point remains... there's old... bad... real bad... blood tweenst us and them. 

24 minutes ago, HawgGoneIt said:

If Colquitt should dodge the wrench that Parkview is trying to throw, then they would get the winner of Archer/Cherokee at The Pen next week due to the universal coin flip.

https://www.ajc.com/blog/high-school-sports/ghsa-coin-flip-favors-lowndes-lee-cartersville-cedar-grove/KP8TIx2WoEgzKbvVPDR16O/amp.html

Oh Hell....I'll only be traveling from Charlotte NC on Black Friday !!!!

But if Buddha waves his hand....and Colquitt survives and advances...I'll live with it...(Smile).

Rufus>>

• Like 1

On 11/19/2019 at 11:17 AM, Rufus69 said:

OK...Coach Rogers is pulling out all the stops for Friday night's game.   I understand that we applied (2) huge dump trucks of mud and plowed dirt in the IPF and wet it down further so we could practice on a tundra similar to the one Parkview has.  I know...I know...it looks like them fellers would put their money where it should go instead of spending it on academia...but that's Yankees for ya.

Some of our combatants complained...mostly the cheerleaders...but they were told...it is what it is.  Live with it.

A few people were blaming Rush.  A few people were blaming the Colquitt admin.  But most of the people are blaming the refs.  That seems to be the thing to do these days.

Finally...if you've never been to the Big Orange Jungle...you ain't missed much.  But I will say...they used to have some of the finest porta-potties money could buy...on the visitors side.

Rufus>>

Ya'll Hawgs just make sure Frenchie ain't working those stadium lights and they don't go out at the most inopportune time.  

• Haha 2

24 minutes ago, sausmann9 said:

Ya'll Hawgs just make sure Frenchie ain't working those stadium lights and they don't go out at the most inopportune time.  

LOL....I had forgotten about that...so thanks for bringing that up !!!!!

Lord...I don't like playing up there.

Rufus>>

• Like 1

About to put the sails up and catch the wind. 

@Rufus69 I do suppose it must have been 2005 that I'm remembering the beatdown from Parkview at the Pen. It certainly felt like it was farther back than that when I was thinking of it, yet, it's still not far enough back. Maybe tonight will make it seem even farther back yet again. 

I think we tried way too hard...not to lose...and not hard enough...to actually win.  It's disappointing.  Now I guess we'll see what happens over the off-season.  It's gonna be interesting as hell...to say the least.

But...Congrats to Parkview on a well played game....

Rufus>>

• Like 1