Best Metallica Album Ever?

ChimpGrip

16 minutes ago, Rippers said:

Actually, it was the Scorpions, now that I am thinking about it.  I saw Judas Priest a few years later.

I was there.  Great concert.  Been to a few Day on the Greens and they were all great, I would head straight to the front where I wouldn't leave until end of show dripping with sweat.  Seen Priest also, at the cow palace I think.  Loved those guys but I did get a bit of a bad vibe at that show.  

Favorite bands live were Scorpions and Iron Maiden with AC/DC just behind them.  

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Rippers said:

I first saw them in 1985, Day on the Green at the Oakland Coliseum.  I think Priest and Ratt were the headliners.

I was there too! I remember, well for the most part🤣, that it was (as you said) Scorps, Ratt, Y&T, Metallica, and Ynwei (sp) Malmsteen. All the other bands were big hair bands....I remember Hetfield saying something to effect of “ we don’t need big hair and makeup to fucking kick ass”. They went into Creeping Death and that was the largest mosh pit, I’m pretty sure, up to that point in time. Awesome!!

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Blueliner said:

I remember Hetfield saying something to effect of “ we don’t need big hair and makeup to fucking kick ass”.

I also sort of remember him saying something like "I love this cloud of excitement in the air" as he gestured to the cloud of cigarette and pot smoke that kind of hung over in front of the stage.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Rippers said:

It was also right after their piece of crap second album came out.  Out of the Cellar wasn't terrible, but the second one sucked.  I don't even remember what it was called.

“Invasion of your privacy”. I thought “lay it down” was a good tune...at least the guitar work was bad ass, but the rest was hot garbage. The chick on the album cover was hot👍 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Rippers said:

I first saw them in 1985, Day on the Green at the Oakland Coliseum.  I think Priest and Ratt were the headliners.

Yep and Y&T was also in the 85 lineup.Was there for that.

82’ was prob my favorite DOTG. Scorps, Maiden, a skinny Mike Reno Loverboy getting into his leather pants with his headband 😂😂😂. Great times, Bill Graham was a hell of a promoter.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, World Citizen said:

Seen Priest also, at the cow palace I think.

I saw Slayer at The Stone the following year or so.  Thought I was going to die.  Then I saw them again up here in 2011.  It was night and day.  They still thrashed and put on a great show, but they and the crowd were polite--well, as polite as you can get with a mini mosh pit going.  Must have been the same crowd from the 80's, just all 30 years older.

• Like 1