Calpreps playoff boost defined

golfaddict1

2 minutes ago, steeler01 said:

Nobody ever gives anyone a boost to a team like Bosco for beating  Milliken in the playoffs

Professionally, I do technical support for scientific instruments. 

Right now, you're sounding like a number of our customers:

Us:  What is the problem?

Customer:  The instrument is sounding funny.

Us:  How long ago did this start?

Customer:  About two weeks ago.

Us:  Are the results being impacted?

Customer:  No.

Us:  So... you can still do your work successfully?

Customer:  Oh yeah, no problem.

Us:  Then... why did you ask for service?

Customer:  Because the instrument sounds funny.  I'm just not used to it.

Us:  Call us back when something actually impacts your work.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
Guest LOSer
On ‎5‎/‎18‎/‎2017 at 7:00 PM, Pops said:

im good with a boost since that's the most important time to be playing well

Golf,

By bumping this thread you've merely reminded me of one of Pop's silliest arguments.

Guest LOSer
59 minutes ago, Pops said:

So silly

why would anyone think post season more important than preseason?

#duh

I'll simply copy/paste my post from another thread.

It is silly.

On ‎7‎/‎13‎/‎2017 at 10:20 AM, LOSer said:

This serves as a good reminder of how Pop is ultimately incapable of framing any of his arguments properly.

The playoffs are only the most important games if you're answering this question: Who is the (insert classification) state champion?

But that's not the question that this board's existence begs. That question is: Who are the best teams?

So in that case it would be simply inaccurate to weigh playoff games more than all the others. If the goal is to rate the best teams then every game should count the same. Every game is an evaluation point.

The best teams play "at their peak" more often than the rest and should be judged on that.

2015 example.  Sure, sweet win for DLS vs CC. CA champ no argument. 

But we have more than Freeman and a stratomatic board game to go by... DLS lost to the 6th rated school from TX (who lost in the 2nd rd of the TX playoffs). The 6th rated is by CP as is DLS number 1 spot in nation post retread.   

What MNC position does DLS have in 2015?   State champ?  Check.  National? 

Guest LOSer
17 minutes ago, golfaddict1 said:

2015 example.  Sure, sweet win for DLS vs CC. CA champ no argument. 

But we have more than Freeman and a stratomatic board game to go by... DLS lost to the 6th rated school from TX (who lost in the 2nd rd of the TX playoffs). The 6th rated is by CP as is DLS number 1 spot in nation post retread.   

What MNC position does DLS have in 2015?   State champ?  Check.  National? 

Go look at how laughably overrated De La Salle's schedule is for that year.

They have 10-6 Del Oro in the top 100 for that season (#89). A team that was straight blown out 3 times and played EIGHT one-score games (and went 5-3 in them). So they were probably fortunate to have only lost 6 times.

23 minutes ago, LOSer said:

Go look at how laughably overrated De La Salle's schedule is for that year.

They have 10-6 Del Oro in the top 100 for that season (#89). A team that was straight blown out 3 times and played EIGHT one-score games (and went 5-3 in them). So they were probably fortunate to have only lost 6 times.

You chose wisely.   That has several angles including Number 88 lost to Hawaii's number  3.  

13 teams from CA were rated in top 88. 11 top 80.  That's pretty steep and strong. 

Two teams head to head and 0-2 from top 100 vs OOS.  Anyone care to tally an OOS CA record for their top 100 nationally vs OOS that year besides DLS and Del Oro? 

55 minutes ago, golfaddict1 said:

You chose wisely.   That has several angles including Number 88 lost to Hawaii's number  3.  

13 teams from CA were rated in top 88. 11 top 80.  That's pretty steep and strong. 

Two teams head to head and 0-2 from top 100 vs OOS.  Anyone care to tally an OOS CA record for their top 100 nationally vs OOS that year besides DLS and Del Oro? 

Quickly checked so correct me if I'm wrong per CP.. and I cringe when typing numbers from any state btw.  

CA's top 100 per CP  OOS record in 2015 was 4-3... but in reality, they had 4 very close OOS matchups (ratings wise) and went 1-3.  If this is what Freeman is rolling dice from on a chutes and ladders board game... as a neutral observer what state scale would you opt for CA nationally?   15 teams from CA finished in the top 100 that season...  did Freeman take the red or blue pill?  

Corona Centennial defeated East, UT  49-13  #72

SJB defeated St. Peters Prep (SPP) 56-14  #505  (nice convincing W).  

Vista Murrieta defeated Ballard WA   71-32  #2936

Mission Viejo defeated Baldwin, HI  63-7  #3032  

-----------------------------------------

#1 DLS lost to Trinity, TX #31  (playoffs loss 2nd round... Camden County had a 2nd round playoff loss once).  

Del Oro lost to #140-150 range #3 HI (not looking again).  

Helix lost to Chaparral AZ  #293  23-19

22 minutes ago, golfaddict1 said:

Quickly checked so correct me if I'm wrong per CP.. and I cringe when typing numbers from any state btw.  

CA's top 100 per CP  OOS record in 2015 was 4-3... but in reality, they had 4 very close OOS matchups (ratings wise) and went 1-3.  If this is what Freeman is rolling dice from on a chutes and ladders board game... as a neutral observer what state scale would you opt for CA nationally?   15 teams from CA finished in the top 100 that season...  did Freeman take the red or blue pill?  

#1 DLS lost to Trinity, TX #31  (playoffs loss 2nd round... Camden County had a 2nd round playoff loss once).  

Let me just simplfy things. The above losers hyperimproved. Boom, rankings justified.

7 hours ago, LOSer said:

I'll simply copy/paste my post from another thread.

It is silly.

NFL, NCAA, hsfb, + every other sport at every level

hsfb teams have ~ 50% turnover every year, start practicing early August, start playing games late in august, and build to be at peak performance at the end of the season rather than the befinning

we're going to disagree here -- I understand your point and agree to an extent, but one of the things I love about hsfb is the development of individuals, convincing them to achieve more than they think themselves capable, and then, as or more importantly building a TEAM from the 50% new parts.  That doesn't happen in 3 weeks but is a beautiful thing to watch over 3-4 months.

2 hours ago, golfaddict1 said:

What is your point?

would it be different if Asiasi didn't overthrow the pass on last play of the Trinity game or Del Oro hung on to a 2TD+ lead and didn't lose by a point?

should the state be downgraded?

7 minutes ago, Pops said:

hsfb teams have ~ 50% turnover every year, start practicing early August, start playing games late in august, and build to be at peak performance at the end of the season rather than the befinning

we're going to disagree here -- I understand your point and agree to an extent, but one of the things I love about hsfb is the development of individuals, convincing them to achieve more than they think themselves capable, and then, as or more importantly building a TEAM from the 50% new parts.  That doesn't happen in 3 weeks but is a beautiful thing to watch over 3-4 months.

And DLS is a master at that. 

• Like 1

Guest LOSer
1 hour ago, Pops said:

And their playoff formats aren't designed to find the best team either. They determine who's champion.

Again, you answer all the wrong questions.

Guest LOSer
1 hour ago, Pops said:

This is all very nice and I'm sure it sounds great in preseason camp but it's coachspeak nonsense.

Every game is an evaluation point.

Sparty isn't scheduling Bishop Gorman to test themselves for the NCS playoffs. They want to get themselves a skin for the wall.

Guest LOSer
1 hour ago, Pops said:

I understand your point and agree to an extent, but one of the things I love about hsfb is the development of individuals, convincing them to achieve more than they think themselves capable, and then, as or more importantly building a TEAM from the 50% new parts.

It's not about you and it never will be.

Most of us have been able to figure that out.

Guest LOSer
1 hour ago, Pops said:

What is your point?

I think his point is that California went 4-3 but 3 of their wins were layups.

The went 1-3 in games that mattered.

But I could be wrong.

17 hours ago, LOSer said:

I think his point is that California went 4-3 but 3 of their wins were layups.

The went 1-3 in games that mattered.

But I could be wrong.

Werd.  The right reply should have been OK but look at FL... MC got throttled by Dematha and then not sure who the next rated team who had an OOS... scrolling down is definitely required.   But, FL had 6 top 100 if I recall that year while CA had 15.  15 with a retread focusing on state scaling with OOS weighing in.   I simply showed their elite didn't exactly top the scales that year.   

FL had few top teams play OOS that year.   I suppose Freeman chose a historical scale for them, whatever that is. 

What Echs might have missed was Freeman's last retread, GA had a slightly better top 500 teams performance over FL, while IL hopped both FL and GA. 

So to summarize, this season can't start soon enough. :) 

Hi Golfaddict,

I saw your explanation of taking the blacked out regular season average and the blacked out playoff average and ending up with a Power Rating (PR) for the season.  I might have misinterpreted what you meant.  When I calculate this, I get a very slightly different number and it took me awhile to figure this out.  I think there is a lot of confusion with this even though it seems so straight-forward.

Let’s say that:

A= the average of blacked out games in the regular season.

B= the average of blacked out games in the playoffs.

Go ahead and pick any average for A and for B and then show me how you arrive step by step at a final PR number when you give B  2.1 times the weight that you give A. 

Thanks.

8 hours ago, stanscript said:

Hi Golfaddict,

I saw your explanation of taking the blacked out regular season average and the blacked out playoff average and ending up with a Power Rating (PR) for the season.  I might have misinterpreted what you meant.  When I calculate this, I get a very slightly different number and it took me awhile to figure this out.  I think there is a lot of confusion with this even though it seems so straight-forward.

Let’s say that:

A= the average of blacked out games in the regular season.

B= the average of blacked out games in the playoffs.

Go ahead and pick any average for A and for B and then show me how you arrive step by step at a final PR number when you give B  2.1 times the weight that you give A. 

Thanks.

There was a retread rating done by Freeman recently, which may be skewing the formula, not sure.   I did two examples at the time and it seemed to match.  

The playoff boost is mentioned here, just in case someone won't believe it without it being mentioned on the site... like state scaling previously. :) 

https://maxpreps.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/202097104-How-do-the-MaxPreps-Freeman-rankings-work-