The Stock Market

DarterBlue

29 minutes ago, HSFBfan said:

The implication of this article is that we are between a rock and a hard place. If the FED starts buying equities, its the end of our so called free market. It would also be the end, or at least the beginning of the end, of our nearly 40-year super bull market trend which began in 1982 and had only three significant interruptions. We would be essentially heading down the road if Japan. As a reference, the Nikii Index topped out in December 1989. Today, nearly 31 years later, it trades some 40% below the highs recorded back then.

2 hours ago, DarterBlue said:

The implication of this article is that we are between a rock and a hard place. If the FED starts buying equities, its the end of our so called free market. It would also be the end, or at least the beginning of the end, of our nearly 40-year super bull market trend which began in 1982 and had only three significant interruptions. We would be essentially heading down the road if Japan. As a reference, the Nikii Index topped out in December 1989. Today, nearly 31 years later, it trades some 40% below the highs recorded back then.

Damn I didnt know that 

2 hours ago, imaGoodBoyNow said:

Wtf @DarterBlue there’s an infinite amount of shit to learn on the stock market 

todays class is about FOREX ! Do you trade it , is it like trading Crypto?

I have never traded the currencies, commodities or financial futures. I thought about it in the 1990s, but figured if I wanted a decent shot at being successful, I would have to rent a seat on an exchange from a member and basically cut my teeth as a floor trader. I was not willing to risk my marriage and children's financial future to do that. If I had been single, I may have done so. It would have meant being in Chicago or New York depending on what my choice of vehicle was. If you are going to venture into these markets, be aware that they are dominated to an even greater extent by professionals than the stock market is. 

Trading those markets can be very dangerous because you are operating on 10-1 leverage (or higher) and you run the risk of not only totally destroying your account, but also owing your broker or its clearinghouse money if the trade goes against you and you have leveraged the account too much. It is very easy to blow yourself up if you don't fully grasp the level of risk you are assuming. You would not want a neophyte handling an Uzi before he has even learned to shoot straight and before he has grasped the basics of firearm care. 

6 minutes ago, DarterBlue said:

I have never traded the currencies, commodities or financial futures. I thought about it in the 1990s, but figured if I wanted a decent shot at being successful, I would have to rent a seat on an exchange from a member and basically cut my teeth as a floor trader. I was not willing to risk my marriage and children's financial future to do that. If I had been single, I may have done so. It would have meant being in Chicago or New York depending on what my choice of vehicle was. If you are going to venture into these markets, be aware that they are dominated to an even greater extent by professionals than the stock market is. 

Trading those markets can be very dangerous because you are operating on 10-1 leverage (or higher) and you run the risk of not only totally destroying your account, but also owing your broker or its clearinghouse money if the trade goes against you and you have leveraged the account too much. It is very easy to blow yourself up if you don't fully grasp the level of risk you are assuming. You would not want a neophyte handling an Uzi before he has even learned to shoot straight and before he has grasped the basics of firearm care. 

Definitely not venturing just curious on why you never post about that sector 

3 minutes ago, imaGoodBoyNow said:

Definitely not venturing just curious on why you never post about that sector 

I don't post on these sectors because I have never accumulated the level of expertise to do so in a value added manner. Had I gone down the path of trading them, I would have first done my homework very carefully over many months. If I survived and thrived, I would post on them.

But I have not, so my contribution would be much as my contribution to Georgia high school football. I know a little, perhaps more than the average fan, but I don't have any level of expertise. 

• Thanks 1

Stocks closed mixed today. Volume was flat on the NASDAQ and higher on the NYSE. At the close, the range was from a loss of .59% on the MID Cap index to a gain of 2.88% on the NASDAQ 100. Losing stocks led by 17-13 on the NYSE. However, advancing stocks led by a 9-8 margin on the NASDAQ. It was a strange day, as NASDAQ stocks were up big and closed at all time highs. On the other hand, the other indices were pretty sedate. Small stocks took a beating as leadership was narrow. In a sense, today was to a degree the mirror image of last Monday when the NASDAQ indices took a big beating. So how do I view the day? In a word, lackluster. However, aside from the NASDAQ stocks there was one other bright spot. The S&P did take out its June 11th intraday high at last. This accomplishment owes a lot to the tech stocks that are a big part of the S&P’s current capitalization. Still it was noteworthy.

I had my best day of the current campaign and tied for my best day since May 2009, with a day in December 2018 when my puts on the market hit paydirt. I was up $21,043 or 3.72%, handily beating the averages. I owe the great day to my tech positions: TEAM, TTD, ZM and SHOP. Each was up more than 5% on the day and in the case of TEAM, 10%. They did exactly the opposite of what they did the prior Monday. Of my other positions, LCII had a modest gain, the S&P Options had a solid gain, and LOW, had a modest loss. At today’s close, I am now up approximately $100,000 since going long on April 7, 2020. That is not bad on a starting capital of about $470,000, as it represents more than a 20% gain. Despite the success, I keep wondering how much longer this run can last given the horrible fundamental backdrop.  

6 hours ago, imaGoodBoyNow said:

@DarterBlue what platform do you use?

i heard ETrade and Ameritrade had a horrible day  today with the app being offline and glitching all day

I have been a happy Charles Schwab customer for over 30 years. I briefly shifted the bulk of my money to another broker in 1994. But within 6 months I came to the conclusion that Schwab was better and moved them back even though Schwab was more expensive at the time. I like them because they let me do my own thing. They don't try to sell me anything, they give me the flexibility I require, and they leave me alone. They realize I am a survivor and that I crave independence. 

• Like 1

Stocks closed mostly higher today on significantly higher volume across the board. However, there were two concerns. The first, and less concerning, was the underperformance of the two NASDAQ indices. Why less concerning? Well, yesterday, the NASDAQ made an extraordinary move higher, in the face of mediocre action from the rest of the market. That was unsustainable. So, today could be seen as the market correcting itself. The second thing of concern is that stocks wilted in the final hour and almost all the indices except for the Russell finished in the lower half of their day’s range. That smacks of stalling. Stalling on higher volume is not a good thing. At day’s close, the range was from a loss of 1.09% on the NASDAQ 100 to a gain of 1.33% on the Russell. Advancing stocks led by a bit more than 3-1 on the NYSE and by over 3-2 on the NASDAQ. So, despite the weakness at the close, and the stalling action, the day still graded a B. Where do I stand? I am still bullish. However, the action is far from perfect and vigilance is required as this market could take a turn for the worse.

On a personal note, I was down $4,659 or .79% on the day, giving back a fraction of yesterday’s gains. Ironically, despite showing losses in aggregate, 5 of my 8 positions: TEAM, LOW, LCII, the S&P Options and the MDY closed positive on the day. Only 3 issues: SHOP, TTD and ZM finished in the red. However, the losers lost relatively large percentages (3% plus for TTD and ZM and 6% for SHOP) while the winners scored modest gains. Despite the loss, I am still comfortably ahead on the week. It would help a lot if the market settled down. When all indices move in gear with each other, that is the mark of a healthy bull market. So far, for the last five weeks, the market has not been healthy.

Of the current positions I own, I am most concerned by SHOP largely because it is trading very wide and loose. Stocks that trade this way for extended periods, have a disturbing habit of breaking down. Therefore, we will continue to monitor it very carefully. It will be a prime candidate for sale if the market continues to trade in a suspect fashion.

Stocks closed broadly, but modestly higher, on lower volume. With the exception of the NASDAQ indices, the headline ones closed very close to day highs. Breadth was positive on the NYSE to the tune of 3-2 but negative on the NASDAQ to the tune of 5-3. Aside from the negative breadth on the NASDAQ, it was a relatively quiet, constructive day. The range was from a gain of .18% on the Russell to .76% on the MID Cap index. The trend still seems to be higher. And the other indices seem to be taking over leadership or at the very least coming into their own for the first time since early June.

On the day, I was up $4,253 or .73%, which was better than all indices except the S&P Mid Cap index. Six of my eight positions: LCII, LOW, MDY, S&P Options, SHOP and ZM finished in the black. The best performers were LOW, LCII and the S&P Options in that order. TTD and TEAM closed with small losses. All positions acted well and aside from SHOP, none of them are currently concerning to me. SHOP needs to settle down and show that it once again wants to go higher, or at the worst form a constructive base. LCII has broken out. However, the volume is not behind the move. LOW continues to drift higher since I bought it.