Rating the Schedules: Georgia Edition

Long story short its boring... And I saw @Sammyswordsmanpost a stupid list that ATLien called ass... I won't blame Sammy though poor kids probably going insane being stuck inside...  And then it hit me why don't I just bring back the report cards I used to do but for schedules. So I'ma give it a shot using schedules I have access to. 

Feel free to chime in. 

WARNING: These grades are based on my OPINION. Just letting some of y'all know ahead of time. 

First on the list: 

The Mceachern Indians

Schedule:

8/22 North Gwinnett (Corky Kell@MBS)
8/28 Grayson
9/04 Marietta
9/11 At Hillgrove
9/18 Newton
10/09 At Campbell
10/16 At Newnan
10/30 East Coweta
11/06 Pebblebrook

They're @St. Thomas Aquinas (FL) the week after Newton. 

Grade: A 

Pro's:

Overall Mceachern's non-region schedule for 2020 far exceeds any of their previous schedules in the past 10 years.  

It's really impressive and far better than playing South Cobb and North Clayton or whatever... 

Con's: 

Probably won't run this schedule AT ALL. NG,Hillgrove and Marietta are toss ups, Grayson and STA  are probably L's.. 

Newton can pull the upset on the right night but Mceachern probably Wins it. So that's the only game I'm convinced they straight up win.

Region games: 

Mceachern is in a soft Region this year thanks to realignment they could very well enter the playoffs 5-5 as a #1 seed from a mediocre region. The only other team that could give any opposition in that region is East Coweta. 

If by any chance Mceachern does survive their Non-Region gauntlet and the 7A playoffs. 

I don't see how you could deny them  a National Title...  But that's a big WHAT IF. 

Second up: 

A site favorite 

Colquitt County 

8/21 At Marietta
8/28 Westlake
9/04 Cedar Grove
9/11 Valdosta
9/18 Heritage, Conyers
9/25 At Northside, Warner Robins
10/09 Alcovy
10/16 Camden County
10/23 Lowndes
10/30 At Tift County

Grade: B

Pro's: 

Pretty Solid schedule 

They get to see Rush again

Well... Colquitt County still has a football team... That's all I can give em honestly. 

Con's:

Much like any other team they lost some valuable players 

They'll probably be 4-3 before region play. 

Speaking of region play. Region 1-7A is gonna be tough as nails this year. And I wonder if they can make it through.

Camden County 

8/21 Columbia
8/28 Glynn Academy
9/04 At Jean Ribault High School (Florida)
9/11 Marietta
9/18 At Oakleaf High School (Florida)
9/25 Coffee
10/02 At Warner Robins (MT)
10/16 At Colquitt County
10/23 Tift County
10/30 At Lowndes

Idk what to make of Camden's schedule. 

Their FL opponents aint much. 

But their Georgia opponents outside of Columbia are Menace's 

Schedule Grade: B+ 

Glynn Academy is a rivalry that's been going on for half a century  and recently the rivalries been intense as both teams have former metro Atlanta coaches. 

Glynn Academy- Rocky Hidalgo- Former Walton HC 

Camden County- Bob Sphire former NG HC 

Another rival is Brunswick but it seems Camden dropped Brunswick in favor of playing Marietta. 

Coffee used to be in Region 1 but they've been playing Camden for awhile as well this is their first meeting in  6 years. Last time they played Coffee sent Camden a Funeral arrangement for the L they where "Susposed" to take... Camden ended up sending them back home with their own funeral arrangement after beating them 42-0.

The biggest test test however is gonna be the Demons out of Warner Robins... I'm hearing them boys are hungry this year. The past 2 years the Demons have been to the state finals where they just couldn't quite win it. But they get to host Camden County  In their 6th all time meeting.  

Then the region games... 

Lowndes is always a killer for the Blue Cats... 

Tift Has proven to be a problem sometimes as well 

And then there's Colquitt this will be an interesting game that I may actually drive to see... 

• Like 1

Grayson...

Just know Grayson's to talented to be scheduling like this

8/21Creekside

8/28At McEachern

9/04Stephenson

9/11At Archer

9/18Paul Bryant HS

9/25Mill Creek

10/02At South Gwinnett

10/16Parkview

10/23At Brookwood

10/30Newton

All you need to know is Mceachern,Archer and Parkview are the only teams who will give them a game... 

They have a easy path to the playoffs

Schedule Grade: C-

15 minutes ago, TheMaximumHornetSting said:

Honestly though it's sad that geographically the Florida schools are about 10 times closer to Camden than anyone else on their schedule except Glynn Academy... 

Stinks they couldn’t find better FL teams. Jax TC, Bolles, Raines, Lee, Mandarin, Sandalwood, Fletcher, or Fleming Island would be better than Ribault. 
Oakleaf is also playing Lowndes so you know the coach doesn’t care about getting his butt dragged. These are the typical FL/GA games though. 

Just now, Nolebull813 said:

Stinks they couldn’t find better FL teams. Jax TC, Bolles, Raines, Lee, Mandarin, Sandalwood, Fletcher, or Fleming Island would be better than Ribault. 
Oakleaf is also playing Lowndes so you know the coach doesn’t care about getting his butt dragged. These are the typical FL/GA games though. 

Sometimes I wonder if these games don't happen because of other inconveniences. Because Jax TC plays them in everything else except Football. So does Sandalwood

3 minutes ago, Nolebull813 said:

The Grayson coach specifically said he didn’t want to play a powerhouse on the week they scheduled Bryant,AL. Something about not wanting to play teams who get transfers. That’s gotta be the lowest hanging fruit in a while. 

The Grayson HC "Doesn't wanna play teams with transfers"... 

I+recognize+that+uncomfortable+smile+_dd01b177e9b2ba1dbd173185d2291a43.jpg

• Haha 1

8/22 Warner Robins (MU)
8/28 At Tift County
9/04 Columbia-Lake City Florida
9/11 At Colquitt County
9/18 Thomas County Central
9/25 Lowndes
10/02 Westside, Florida
10/16 Northside, Warner Robins
10/23 At Houston County
10/30 At Lee County

Valdosta!

This will be the Cats first year under Rush Propst! I expect the first year to be Good but not state title good but 6A this year is up in the air... I mean way up in the air. The defending 6A champ Harrison is now in 7A and Allatoona lost a lot...  

So Valdosta and Lee County could be in the running. But Buford is also now in 6A and that could be a Nail in the tire for someone... 

Schedule Grade: B+ 

Outside of Westside,FL Valdosta has a pretty nice schedule. 

Columbia is a Good FL team. 

Thomas Central is susposed to be good this year but they're a decent local team. 

Colquitt County is a Rival that always gives them a good game. 

Lowndes is gonna be a probable L. Tift a probable W. 

Warner Robins is gonna be a Test for sure. Valdosta plays Warner Robins in Macon on a Saturday Morning in Mercer University 5 star Stadium. I expect this to be a Barn Burner. 

The Region games: 

Lee right now might be the only challenge according to the GA boards Northside WR will be way down this year. And Houston is gonna be a speed bump at best roadkill at worst. 

• Thanks 1

Demons - Cardinal & White
8/22 At Valdosta (MU)
8/28 Archer
9/11 At Northside, Warner Robins
9/18 Houston County
9/25 At Lee County
10/02 Camden County (MT)
10/16 Ware County
10/23 At Wayne County
10/30 Coffee
11/06 At Veterans

Warner Robins is hungry this year and this is their best chance to win 5A @FootballGuy y'all gotta do it this year. All the other teams Rome, Carrollton and Buford are gone to 6A y'all barely avoided the reclassification. Ware and Coffee are the only other real threats. 

Schedule Grade: A 

Sound Non-region schedule

Valdosta,Archer,Camden and Lee County is murderers row... 

Then the Region is Tough as well... 

You got Coffee and Ware and I promise you you'll probably see one of those 2 again in the playoffs... 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, FootballGuy said:

Yeah Grayson's schedule is a laughable.....considering all that talent they have. You would think that they'd load their schedule like 2016, but I guess Adam Carter isn't the biggest fan of OOS games. 

Evaluate Valdosta's and Warner Robins schedule....please. 

When you are ranked as high as we are and projected to have a large degree of talent as we are AND the other teams in the county will mostly only play you if they have to, it makes it tougher to build a schedule.  I've also talked with the AD who has said OOS games are expen$ive as all get out.  When budgets are tight, that comes into play.  It is a further problem when ranking/rating the schedules.  When you are number 1, everybody that plays you gets a boost in their schedule toughness that you don't get because everyone you play is under you.  It is really difficult to build a strong schedule.  Note this applies to a lot of teams, not just us.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Fred said:

When you are ranked as high as we are and projected to have a large degree of talent as we are AND the other teams in the county will mostly only play you if they have to, it makes it tougher to build a schedule.  I've also talked with the AD who has said OOS games are expen$ive as all get out.  When budgets are tight, that comes into play.  It is a further problem when ranking/rating the schedules.  When you are number 1, everybody that plays you gets a boost in their schedule toughness that you don't get because everyone you play is under you.  It is really difficult to build a strong schedule.  Note this applies to a lot of teams, not just us.

Funny when we were coming up we always wanted to play the loaded teams to try to knock them off. 

Now coaches are scared whiners and will only take “big games” if they have to or at home. Won’t go on the road, oh no. 

Sissies

10 hours ago, Fred said:

Tbh Fred it's good to have a voice of reason and insight like you around. 

Still though If I had my way Creekside wouldn't be up there... Would've gotten Tucker again.

11 hours ago, TheMaximumHornetSting said:
Demons - Cardinal & White
8/22 At Valdosta (MU)
8/28 Archer
9/11 At Northside, Warner Robins
9/18 Houston County
9/25 At Lee County
10/02 Camden County (MT)
10/16 Ware County
10/23 At Wayne County
10/30 Coffee
11/06 At Veterans

Warner Robins is hungry this year and this is their best chance to win 5A @FootballGuy y'all gotta do it this year. All the other teams Rome, Carrollton and Buford are gone to 6A y'all barely avoided the reclassification. Ware and Coffee are the only other real threats. 

Schedule Grade: A 

Sound Non-region schedule

Valdosta,Archer,Camden and Lee County is murderers row... 

Then the Region is Tough as well... 

You got Coffee and Ware and I promise you you'll probably see one of those 2 again in the playoffs... 

I'm with you. One more state championship loss and we'll the buffalo bills of high school football......in Georgia a least. But Warner Robins is loaded once again this year. I fully expect for them to be in the championship game this year. I'm torn on the Valdosta game because I have ties to both schools. If Warner Robins runs the table, man..... I don't know how you wouldn't put them as a top 3 team in GA. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Fred said:

That's something I've always noticed about Grayson: their budget. Not trying to count anyone's pockets, but it seems like money has been an issue with them in recent years. I think St. Frances wouldn't have had a problem footing their own bill and coming down to play Grayson. That woulda been an entertaining game in Grayson's schedule.

23 minutes ago, Sweetlarry said:

Funny when we were coming up we always wanted to play the loaded teams to try to knock them off. 

Now coaches are scared whiners and will only take “big games” if they have to or at home. Won’t go on the road, oh no. 

Sissies

When it comes to playing teams from OOS only at home, I get it. I don't see it as a thing where they want every advantage they can get....I see it from an economics standpoint. Now, I do feel like if the OOS teams want them to come to their place, they have to offer them a travel stipend that'll make up for a lost gate. So you look at teams like colquitt, lowndes and teams in texas and wonder why they only play OOS teams at their house, but you also gotta wonder what's being offered to them, and if it's nowhere close to reasonable, then it's a no go. 

3 minutes ago, FootballGuy said:

That's something I've always noticed about Grayson: their budget. Not trying to count anyone's pockets, but it seems like money has been an issue with them in recent years. I think St. Frances wouldn't have had a problem footing their own bill and coming down to play Grayson. That woulda been an entertaining game in Grayson's schedule.

I've learned the same is true for Cartersville which is why they don't play OOS without assistance. 

I've also learned that County schools with multiple Schools tend to have their hands tied the most. 

Buford operates independently of all the other Gwinnett schools so they have more leniency. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, FootballGuy said:

When it comes to playing teams from OOS only at home, I get it. I don't see it as a thing where they want every advantage they can get....I see it from an economics standpoint. Now, I do feel like if the OOS teams want them to come to their place, they have to offer them a travel stipend that'll make up for a lost gate. So you look at teams like colquitt, lowndes and teams in texas and wonder why they only play OOS teams at their house, but you also gotta wonder what's being offered to them, and if it's nowhere close to reasonable, then it's a no go. 

cc always talks about their boosters and their support, so like hatter said, money wasn’t the issue. 

Listen, some coaches don’t want those games and that’s cool. Some know if they have to go to an unfriendly environment it won’t turn out well for them. Perhaps some are saving their kids (and themselves) the embarrassment of getting bitchwhacked. But don’t take the home games only and claim it’s for the gate when offers are known that they’ll be compensated. If boosters have tens of thousands to stipend a coach, it ain’t about the money. 

I wish Marietta had that type of support, but it’s a different animal. Metro schools just aren’t “shut the town down” places on game nights. We all work with what we have. 

• Like 1

On 5/7/2020 at 5:11 PM, Nolebull813 said:

Oakleaf will be better than any team in Duval county this year

Lee lost a ton to transfers this off-season