2015 Katy vs 2013 Booker T Washington

ChimpGrip

On 7/15/2020 at 5:34 AM, DownSouth said:

I always thought that 2008 team was ridiculous.

They beat Geno Smith's Miramar team 49-2.

Beat Deerfield Beach that was QB'd by Denard Robinson, 65-10.

Gio Bernard and James White in the same backfield. Phillip Dorsett at WR, Brandon Linder on the OL, and Ryan Beker was an awesome HS QB (Ruddock was on the bench as a sophomore). I'm probably missing another 15 D1 kids and another 15 that went to lower division schools too. The defense had a couple major D1 corners (FSU and UF) and Conor O' Neil lead the defense as a LB (Wisconsin).

Their schedule was pretty localized but man that team was polished at every position. That was one of the best teams I've ever seen on the high school level; they were a machine.

How do you think they would fare today against these super teams like MD , SJB, SFA etc ?  

On 7/14/2020 at 8:58 AM, ChimpGrip said:

I assume the common belief around here is that 2013 BTW > 2010 STA and maybe 2008 STA (PLEASE correct if I am wrong or if common opinion differs)

Who would win this game? Being a Texas guy and a fan of Coach Joseph, I go Katy. Also, Katy had the best, most fundamentally sound defense I have ever seen. Fast, physical, and disciplined. If I have one word to use to describe that defense... I'd got with violent. Never have seen a HS lay the wood on offensive players like they do. 

Going off of what you post , I assume you rank Katy 2015 over Allen 2013 ..  Is this true ?

3 hours ago, CaliNorth said:

How do you think they would fare today against these super teams like MD , SJB, SFA etc ?  

They would have done just fine.   STA does/would do fine against those teams now too.  

This Lakeland team would go on the road and beat DLS the next year in 2009.      

44 minutes ago, 954gator said:

They would have done just fine.   STA does/would do fine against those teams now too.  

I don't why, but from this thumbnail, Lakeland's uniform looks like the Broncos' color rush jersey.

1 hour ago, 954gator said:

Lakeland was a good team in 2009, but not great . Very good but not elite from what I saw

19 minutes ago, CaliNorth said:

Lakeland was a good team in 2009, but not great . Very good but not elite from what I saw

Most definitely.   STA 08-10 was though trust me.   That's why that game was 48-7 in the 3rdQ.

Same way 08-09 Lakeland would get BLASTED by 04-05 Lakeland.  

12 hours ago, CaliNorth said:

They would've been just fine; the 08' Aquinas team was coached by a legendary coach, George Smith, that's an edge few other teams could get close to matching. Those kids were playing with college level football IQ's on a HS level, that's before you look at the insane amount of talent on the roster. Multiple kids ended up in the NFL (most of those kids that went to the NFL ere on the 10' team too and played bigger parts for that team), a couple of them high level players on the pro level.

The Guru can probably bring up most of the stats from that team so you can see the high level guys they had, but that team was special because of the QB. Kid named Ryan Becker, not a big kid at all, went to UPenn and had a decent career with a couple of starts here and there. Defense was lead by a really good LB named Connor O' Neil (nice career at Wisconsin).

Becker ran that Aquinas offense so smooth. Nothing shook that team. They went to Ohio to start the year against a good Elder team (13-2 record, lost to St. Iggy in the Ohio Title Game) and got outscored 10-0 in the 1st quarter; then outscored Elder 35-14 the rest of the way and never looked back all year against anyone.

• Like 2

On 7/14/2020 at 12:13 PM, 954gator said:

I assume the common belief around here is that 2013 BTW > 2010 STA and maybe 2008 STA

Ehhh that's very debatable.    Those 2008 and 2010 STA squads were REALLY REALLY good.  

One of those STA teams was the best high school football team I ever saw live. They handled Lakeland, a good Lakeland team I will add, like a middle school team. It was unbelievable! 

14 hours ago, DownSouth said:

They would've been just fine; the 08' Aquinas team was coached by a legendary coach, George Smith, that's an edge few other teams could get close to matching. Those kids were playing with college level football IQ's on a HS level, that's before you look at the insane amount of talent on the roster. Multiple kids ended up in the NFL (most of those kids that went to the NFL ere on the 10' team too and played bigger parts for that team), a couple of them high level players on the pro level.

The Guru can probably bring up most of the stats from that team so you can see the high level guys they had, but that team was special because of the QB. Kid named Ryan Becker, not a big kid at all, went to UPenn and had a decent career with a couple of starts here and there. Defense was lead by a really good LB named Connor O' Neil (nice career at Wisconsin).

Becker ran that Aquinas offense so smooth. Nothing shook that team. They went to Ohio to start the year against a good Elder team (13-2 record, lost to St. Iggy in the Ohio Title Game) and got outscored 10-0 in the 1st quarter; then outscored Elder 35-14 the rest of the way and never looked back all year against anyone.

And not for nothing that was STA’s first game.  I remember they had a very limited practice to start off (think it was a hurricane something) and Elder had a game under their belt already plus some scrimmages.    Elder was a very solid team though for sure.  They surprised me big time.    That being said once that STA team got going...they were a machine.

4 hours ago, ChimpGrip said:

2012 Katy was great too. 

For reference 

2012 Katy vs Cedar Hil neutral site.   35-24

2012 BTW on the road Cedar Hill   40-21

Remember 2012 BTW wasn't near as good as 2013.   They got beat by 2 scores to Central (who got smoked by Grayson in Ga)