Why is everybody plays St.Johns?

BobbySanchez

25 minutes ago, Mjd33 said:

Sjr got up 17-0 than took the foot off the gas. No excuse they played like crap but look at the season's entire body of work between sjr and SM. Cant really compare .... 

Second part I'm in agreement sjp was legit. 

SM was dominating Serra 24-7 at one point and let the gas off in the 3rd quarter, given that they were playing SJB in the 2nd round of the playoffs.

I don't think it's fair to dismiss teams like SM because they got blown out by super teams like Mater Dei and SJB. If SM had to play teams that were in their depth like SJR, St.Edwards, St. Xaiver, or Valdosta, I think they could give them a good game.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, BobbySanchez said:

You just articulated exactly what I meant.

There are some teams like Bishop Gorman, who schedule national teams like Miami Central who fully expect to win. In defeat, they are pissed.

Then, there might be a team like Central Catholic from Oregon, who schedule national teams simply to test and see how they might do. In defeat, they are happy.

I believe St.Johns fits more in the narrative of Central Catholic.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/education/under-armour-founder-gives-16-million-to-st-johns-college-high/2015/11/06/7adc7724-84bf-11e5-9afb-0c971f713d0c_story.html?utm_term=.13d9d40d9cdc Kevin Plank graduated from St. John's.  He has also donated $15 million to the school, moved its Wharton graduated AD from IMG (who he is a major sponsor of) and brought in the coach from Syracuse' Christian Brothers (who is my age and my guess wants to go out with a national championship).  The ambition of SJC is not dissimilar to the ambition of IMG who, again, they beat 35-2.  It is not enough to have beaten SJR or Pittsburgh Central Catholic:  St. John's has not beaten DeMatha in, I believe, a couple of decades.  

Whoever St. John's plays and beats this coming year the one/two games (with a playoff) that they absolutely must win are over DeMatha.

Just now, GardenStateBaller said:

I realize that. IMGs 2014 team and program back then was a shell of what it eventually became today. Hence, in my opinion, it isn't considered that high-profile of a win. 

Serious?  I understand that IMG is a better team today but there have been several games that I believe they should have lost including Corona Centennial and Bishop Sullivan.  Arguably, they had almost as much talent when they played SJC as today and I understand that Kevin Wright was not there yet.  (No comments about Tulsa Union-it's his Indiana record that was most impressive.)  

Still, I saw that loss and made a comment on another board about their player who caused the safety and his incredible personal celebration with the team down 35-0.  St John's, with its "regional" recruiting may be like that now.  There is a lot to be said for kids playing together for a number of years and genuinely caring about their team.

For myself it is that "team" element that I held against IMG then and still believe is a consideration today.

36 minutes ago, BigDrop said:

Serious?  I understand that IMG is a better team today but there have been several games that I believe they should have lost including Corona Centennial and Bishop Sullivan.  Arguably, they had almost as much talent when they played SJC as today and I understand that Kevin Wright was not there yet.  (No comments about Tulsa Union-it's his Indiana record that was most impressive.)  

Still, I saw that loss and made a comment on another board about their player who caused the safety and his incredible personal celebration with the team down 35-0.  St John's, with its "regional" recruiting may be like that now.  There is a lot to be said for kids playing together for a number of years and genuinely caring about their team.

For myself it is that "team" element that I held against IMG then and still believe is a consideration today.

Maybe I'm being overly critical because I do believe team the caliber of SJB deserves a better game. From what I've been told, this is suppose to be a reloading year for St. Johns. 

5 minutes ago, BobbySanchez said:

Maybe I'm being overly critical because I do believe team the caliber of SJB deserves a better game. From what I've been told, this is suppose to be a reloading year for St. Johns. 

Sjc will get a dozen transfers before the year starts according to md/D.C. guys. 

32 minutes ago, BobbySanchez said:

As Mjd noted SJC already has a significant number of quality transfers.  I also believe they have lost several high profile players.  Regardless, this is the all or nothing year for SJC.  Expectations are for an IMG like team, perhaps with an IMG like investment and, especially, the pride of Kevin Plank.

But there is an important point here:  in the DC/Balt area (which is now close to 10 million people) the program that a top athlete often picks to challenge themselves and want to be a part of is DeMatha.  DeMatha actively goes after kids in middle school but when they get them, they almost always keep them, allowing the "team" concept I noted above.  (Yes, I realize the same is true for a number of schools around the U. S.).  I'm also thinking about areas in Texas, Georgia, etc. where kids play together on youth teams and stay together for a long time.  This can offset an extreme amount of talent.  Locally, Good Counsel with Bob Milloy was a destination and Gonzaga has a top program, too (especially when you factor in academics).  Gilman has been an outstanding academic school with a similarly beautiful campus and a great football team.  SJC is a good school with a rich tradition but I don't remember it's football team having a similar appeal going back a long time.  Kevin Plank wants to change that.

I also believe that today the competition between DeMatha and SJC is incredibly intense in attracting middle school talent, perhaps more so than ever.  SFA factors into this, too (because of Biff), but both DeMatha and SJC have beautiful facilities and a half century+ of competitive tradition. SFA is another matter-I think Biff Poggi is going to have a real uphill climb to build an enduring tradition similar to what he had at Gilman.

4 hours ago, Mjd33 said:

Sjr got up 17-0 than took the foot off the gas. No excuse they played like crap but look at the season's entire body of work between sjr and SM. Cant really compare .... 

Don't give me that. They didn't take the foot of the gas. I was there . The coaches in the press box were actually pretty upset they didn't score again.

4 hours ago, Mjd33 said:

14 minutes ago, Mjd33 said:

Yea took their foot off the gas, lost focus, sleptwalked .... same thing. I'm not being complimentary at all. 

And I'm saying Santa Margarita DID take their foot off the gas when they up 24-7 against Serra in the 3rd quarter, and immediately pulled their starters out because they were playing SJB in a week.

Which, like I said you should not dismiss SM or the other Trinity League teams so easily. They may be second tier but they could give a lot of the BNU teams a very solid game.

An example I like to give with the Trinity vs. BNU is the 2015 Bishop Gorman team.

It was definitely the weakest Bishop Gorman team compared to 2016 and 2014, but beat Don Bosco the New Jersey State Champ 30-13 that year (Don Bosco pretty much beat every NJ team that year expect for Paramus, which they should have won except for that crazy hail mary at the end) In fact, The game should have been 37-13 had Kenny Sanchez decided to run it up, they were 5 yards away from scoring but they just kneed.

Which...

If you compare that game to when BG played Servite, Servite was actually leading that game against Gorman going into the half! It was the last game between Servite and BG before the series ended and for whatever reason Kenny Sanchez tried running up the score against Servite (the coaches at Servite voiced their displeasure during the handshake) but still won 38-7 against Servite. 

Yet, Servite lost 70-7 to SJB, 42-10 to MD, 52-15 to DLS, but anybody who watched the Servite-BG game and Don Bosco-BG game knows both games ended very similarly and not enough credit was given to Servite for that showing.

Now I would take Don Bosco over Servite that year but you cannot dismiss this fact with Servite and Don Bosco Prep that year.

21 minutes ago, BobbySanchez said:

(Don Bosco pretty much beat every NJ team that year expect for Paramus, which they should have won except for that crazy hail mary at the end

Wrong.

Bosco lost to sjr and pc in 15. Played BC to one score games twice (one w BC backup qb I believe)  and even one score game to Depaul so it's not like bosco was that much better than everyone in state. 

24 minutes ago, BobbySanchez said:

30-13

Wrong. 30-16

22 minutes ago, BobbySanchez said:

Servite was actually leading that game against Gorman going into the half!

Wrong.

BG was winning 10-7 at half. 

Than outscored them 28-0 in second half and woke up. 

Whats up with you? Have some sort of selective memory? 

When BC beat BG in 2012 42-35 the same BG team beat servite 42-0. 

When BG beat BC by 3 points in 13. (The worst BC team since 2000 I'll add) that BG team beat servite 42-14. 

51 minutes ago, BobbySanchez said:

And I'm saying Santa Margarita DID take their foot off the gas when they up 24-7 against Serra in the 3rd quarter, and immediately pulled their starters out because they were playing SJB in a week.

Which, like I said you should not dismiss SM or the other Trinity League teams so easily. They may be second tier but they could give a lot of the BNU teams a very solid game.

Santa margarita sucks. Not sure what else to tell you. 

You still haven't told me who they beat oos? In fact, just list some of their best wins in State if you can't answer first question .... 

4 hours ago, Mjd33 said:

Wrong.

Bosco lost to sjr and pc in 15. Played BC to one score games twice (one w BC backup qb I believe)  and even one score game to Depaul so it's not like bosco was that much better than everyone in state. 

Wrong. 30-16

Wrong.

BG was winning 10-7 at half. 

Than outscored them 28-0 in second half and woke up. 

Whats up with you? Have some sort of selective memory? 

When BC beat BG in 2012 42-35 the same BG team beat servite 42-0. 

When BG beat BC by 3 points in 13. (The worst BC team since 2000 I'll add) that BG team beat servite 42-14. 

This. ^

Just stop Bobby Sanchez. 

And to say 2015 BG wasnt as good as 2014 is 100% wrong also.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, steeler01 said:

They had two big plays on offense that accounted for their offense.Neither team was able to sustain drives in that game.

Agree. For some reason sjr hasn't been able to run the ball w consistency since karcich passed the torch to Hoffman. 

Teams have been loading the box against sjr last 2 years and making QB Nick patti  beat them. I've never been that high on patti (pitt commit) but he's now a SR so he should have his best year.