2001 University of Miami vs 2020 Alabama

MC Rockets

Well the one with Ken Dorsey at quarterback sure as hell ain’t winning đŸ˜©đŸ€ŁÂ Much different style of football today obviously so it’s ridiculously hard to compare. They wouldn’t have seen the schemes/concepts before to know how to defend it. 

If you’re going off pure talent and future NFL production it’ll always be that Miami class. But offensively they were not a juggernaut by any means because of the system they ran. 

Sarkisian would’ve had Coker’s head spinning, though. Bama is dropping 35 at the minimum. And Miami scored less than that against much lesser teams in 2001...   

2019 LSU and 2020 Bama would’ve beaten Miami in my opinion and probably by several touchdowns. Miami had an average quarterback and no offensive scheme to handle this pace. They won off pure talent. They would be more talented than Bama and LSU but not so much so that they could avoid the scheming deficiencies. Today’s football is played in open space. It would give them fits 

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, ATLien12x said:

Well the one with Ken Dorsey at quarterback sure as hell ain’t winning đŸ˜©đŸ€ŁÂ Much different style of football today obviously so it’s ridiculously hard to compare. They wouldn’t have seen the schemes/concepts before to know how to defend it. 

If you’re going off pure talent and future NFL production it’ll always be that Miami class. But offensively they were not a juggernaut by any means because of the system they ran. 

Sarkisian would’ve had Coker’s head spinning, though. Bama is dropping 35 at the minimum. And Miami scored less than that against much lesser teams in 2001...   

2019 LSU and 2020 Bama would’ve beaten Miami in my opinion and probably by several touchdowns. Miami had an average quarterback and no offensive scheme to handle this pace. They won off pure talent. They would be more talented than Bama and LSU but not so much so that they could avoid the scheming deficiencies. Today’s football is played in open space. It would give them fits 

The bolded says it all. / thread.

1 hour ago, ATLien12x said:

'08 Florida, '11 Alabama, '12 Alabama, '13 FSU, etc would all beat '01 Miami.

1 hour ago, ATLien12x said:

That group of Canes only won 1 title? Many Bama players have 2 of these years team.

I have a very difficult time making ANY historical declarations about how good/bad teams were in 2020. Too many oddities never before seen. Like the fact that OSU's two best DL were Covid-ed out of the title game.

I do think the sophistication we see in today's offenses is such that older defenses generally would be unprepared to handle them. I feel more confident saying that 2019 LSU would have been too much for that Miami team. Have to allow for the difference in "targeting" and roughing the passer calls though. You watch games from more than 10 or so years ago and see numerous plays that were celebrated then, but would have been a personal foul and ejection under current rules. If targeting wasn't a penalty, those defenses may have been able to better intimidate WRs which could have disrupted offenses more.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, badrouter said:

I have a very difficult time making ANY historical declarations about how good/bad teams were in 2020. Too many oddities never before seen. Like the fact that OSU's two best DL were Covid-ed out of the title game.

I do think the sophistication we see in today's offenses is such that older defenses generally would be unprepared to handle them. I feel more confident saying that 2019 LSU would have been too much for that Miami team. Have to allow for the difference in "targeting" and roughing the passer calls though. You watch games from more than 10 or so years ago and see numerous plays that were celebrated then, but would have been a personal foul and ejection under current rules. If targeting wasn't a penalty, those defenses may have been able to better intimidate WRs which could have disrupted offenses more.

Which is why I have said the 2011 Alabama defense would be outlawed in today’s game. Too physical and violent for the rules of today. DB’s and LB’s took the heads off of receivers and QB’s all day.