Top 10 toughest schedules

Mjd33

1 hour ago, GardenStateBaller said:

Top to bottom, the league is as strong as ever. The Golden Age of NJ (2000-2011) had only one team (DBP) dominating nationally, while everyone else lingered in the background. At least for now (2017) all 5-6 teams are strong and can compete with each other and anyone in the US. 

It all changed with Peppers transferring to PC. The rest is history.

• Like 2

Just now, GardenStateBaller said:

SPP should be automatically disqualified from making this list since they're playing two local publics. Any they waited to schedule SJP until after Swift graduated. However, they are stacked w talent this season. Their timing is always just a bit off ;) 

Well at least they are not playing the "at least 7 wins per year without lining up schedule". Now its time to drop the 2 wins play someone better.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Sportsnut said:

How can you conclusively say that they have the toughest schedule if there is question as to the strength of the teams on the schedule? 

Just a thought.

I think we have to go with a general consensus type application to the strength of teams. For the most part, as I've learned from following along for a spell now, is that the most important thing is staying at the top of your state's rankings for a long period of time, which then lends itself to name recognition. That name recognition, then creates an atmosphere where pollsters are going to be checking there first, looking for the amount of talent, coaching changes and schedule. While there can be a lot of argument and usually is, about a teams strength of schedule, we all know that there can be virtually unknown teams in an area and on a ranked team's schedule that are better than credited. These are the places where humans can make adjustments to their polling much better than that of the computers, but, the computer fans will never admit this as a flaw and will call it confirmation bias or whatever in the human polls.

As far as this ranking of schedules goes, most of the teams we see ranked and the teams they are playing have been at the top of their areas for quite some time so they are getting benefit of a doubt over teams that could have just as tough schedules  but aren't as known so aren't getting the early looks and nods. The only team I see that may be getting overly noticed in this listing is East, Utah.  The computer is probably having the largest say in this one, so it's not really worth a ton of fuss though.

Take East for instance, they are getting big credit for playing Saguaro, who had a good year last year but a local area fan had distinct problems with them being so highly ranked,which gives me a little pause personally on them this year. Bingham was down a bit last year, so it's again difficult to say definitively how tough they will be this year also. That leaves East with IMG. No doubt about it, they should get a ton of credit for taking them on, and they do, but there can be questions with the remainder of their schedule outside of IMG.

Don't get me wrong, I liked Saguaro last season. I thought they looked really good, but without first hand knowledge of the teams they were playing it's difficult to know how good they were really. I tend to try defaulting to the local guy on that one, which leaves me questioning the actual strength of Saguaro, in spite of all their rankings. Of course, I also found myself a bit iffy on whether the local poster in question just had an ax to grind as well. I refuse to default to the computer (CP) on their strength. 

Bingham usually is strong and has big lines, but was noticeably down last year, if they rebound this year, they'll be  quality opponent on that schedule, but for now, seem questionable to me. They could turn out to be the best team that East plays though, so we'll see. 

7 minutes ago, Sammyswordsman said:

Top to bottom the Trinity League is better than the BNU

even without MD and SJB, a case can be made for 2017 parity between the remaining 4 trinity league teams and SJR, DBP, De Paul and BC

I wish we could see servite against bishop Gorman a few times to see how a bottom 4 trinity league team does against elite oos competition  .... ?

1 hour ago, Mjd33 said:

I wish we could see servite against bishop Gorman a few times to see how a bottom 4 trinity league team does against elite oos competition  .... ?

We saw what SPP and St. X look like against SJB.....just like the Servite and OLU.  Lol.

BC may be the cream of the BNU in 2017 but they are going to get whacked by the Stache.  Probably worse than the other Trinity league teams.  LOL

16 hours ago, Omaha Vol said:

No they don't. When your only guaranteed  wins are Berkeley Prep and Venice that makes their schedule the toughest. 

I guess we'll see.   I see maybe 1-2 teams I think have a chance to beat them on that schedule, and one of them is a long shot hunch (MNW).   They aren't playing a BG, SJB, MD, STA type team (other than CC).   And they obviously can't play themselves lol. 

1 hour ago, Sammyswordsman said:

We saw what SPP and St. X look like against SJB.....just like the Servite and OLU.  Lol.

Sjb was real tough scheduling spp the year after they graduated Brandon wimbush and mincah Fitzpatrick along with 6 other D1 recruits. 

BC handled spp easier than sjb did that season.... 

BC was up 33-7 on spp at half. 

Sjb was up 21-14 on spp in third Q. 

4 minutes ago, Mjd33 said:

Sjb was real tough scheduling spp the year after they graduated Brandon wimbush and mincah Fitzpatrick along with 6 other D1 recruits. 

BC handled spp easier than sjb did that season.... 

BC was up 33-7 on spp at half. 

Sjb was up 21-14 on spp in third Q. 

I think Sammy is pointing out, that it's unfair for you to cherrypick random Trinity league games that make the league look the worst, against Bishop freakin' Gorman so he's using SJB as a counter-example.

Let's be fair, most teams in America including the BNU would get blown out like the second tier Trinity league teams if they had to play week in week out. Cocoa went undefeated and won their Florida title against Booker.T but got scraped 46-10, so did Cedar Hill 44-14, a team that scrapped with Desoto and gave them close games the 6A D2 State champs of Texas.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, GardenStateBaller said:

East UT is one of the better teams on the West Coast. Not saying they'll beat IMG, but they'll show well for sure. 

We'll soon find out. They didn't look too good when they played cc. Also, they narrowly escaped a win vs DLS and we all saw what an elite team (SJB) did to DLS. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, GardenStateBaller said:

Wrong Bosco, Newbie! #Ironmen

Let's not start calling East an elite team yet. They narrowly escaped De La Salle by two points and Servite was very close to beating DLS as well.

If East and Servite had to play, I think it would be close and competitive. While Servite is a respectable opponent, they aren't classified as elite. 

• Like 1

East definitely doesn't deserved to be characterized as elite for beating a below standard DLS team with a last second fg.

I wouldn't even refer to them as one of the better west coast teams yet. You can say that about Bingham, who has built up a lot of equity in the bank over the last several years,  testing themselves against some of the best in the country. 

East is still TBD where their imprint will be nationally. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Mjd33 said:

I wouldn't even refer to them as one of the better west coast teams yet. 

I would......

East has more talent than St Joes Regional, NJ....whatever that means.

East has 10 prospects with D1 offers so far.....East will most likely kill Bingham.

NR OG 16 6'2" 296  
Salt Lake City, UT

NR OG 29 6'5" 280  
Salt Lake City, UT

NR ILB 46 6'1" 210  
Salt Lake City, UT

NR DT 61 6'3" 250  
Salt Lake City, UT

NR OG 83 6'0" 226  
Salt Lake City, UT

NR DT 91 6'2" 280  
Salt Lake City, UT

NR  OLB 99 6'1" 225    
Salt Lake City, UT

NR  ATH    6'0" 175   
 Salt Lake City, UT

NR DT   6'3" 295    
Salt Lake City, UT
NR   ATH   6'0" 180   
Salt Lake City, UT
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, TheRealCAJ said:

I would......

East has more talent than St Joes Regional, NJ....whatever that means.

East has 10 prospects with D1 offers so far.....East will most likely kill Bingham.

NR OG 16 6'2" 296  
Salt Lake City, UT

NR OG 29 6'5" 280  
Salt Lake City, UT

NR ILB 46 6'1" 210  
Salt Lake City, UT

NR DT 61 6'3" 250  
Salt Lake City, UT

NR OG 83 6'0" 226  
Salt Lake City, UT

NR DT 91 6'2" 280  
Salt Lake City, UT

NR  OLB 99 6'1" 225    
Salt Lake City, UT

NR  ATH    6'0" 175   
 Salt Lake City, UT

NR DT   6'3" 295    
Salt Lake City, UT
NR   ATH   6'0" 180   
Salt Lake City, UT

Yeah I think Bingham had a lot of kids graduate.  I know their best prospect the 5 star lineman went to USC.    One thing I'll say about Bingham is they normally have pretty good size as they usually have a bunch of polynesians kids.   I'm sure they'll be decent.