So Cal (Other than MD and SJB)

Sammyswordsman

There is talk around the CIFSS offices to separate MD and SJB into their own playoff bracket (Open Bracket) and let the next 16 best teams compete for D-1 Championship.

In my opinion this is the best thing possible and would generate tons more interest in the playoffs.  The field would be pretty evenly spread with almost any team capable of winning.

Amat, Loyola, Poly, Los Al, Notre Dame, La Habra, Santa Margarita, Jokes,

Servite, Sierra Canyon, Cen10, San Clemente, Mission Viejo, OLU, Edison, Alemeny,

How much fun would that playoff bracket be?  

I say DO IT!!!

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Sammyswordsman said:

There is talk around the CIFSS offices to separate MD and SJB into their own playoff bracket (Open Bracket) and let the next 16 best teams compete for D-1 Championship.

In my opinion this is the best thing possible and would generate tons more interest in the playoffs.  The field would be pretty evenly spread with almost any team capable of winning.

Servite, Sierra Canyon, Cen10, San Clemente, Mission Viejo, OLU, Edison, Alemeny,

I say DO IT!!!

It’s much better than seeing Thing 1 and Thing 2 beat up on everyone else in the Division 1 bracket until they eventually play each other.

They’ll probably still have trouble beating the Bosco or Mater Dei but at least they’d have bragging rights about being the Division 1 champ. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Sammyswordsman said:

I say DO IT!!!

There's no reason to avoid the best. To be the best, one must play and beat the best. #PGL

Of course you want to do it. Even though you (& every private school listed) operate by the same rules as MD & Bosco you can’t win anything meaningful. I understand that some schools (servite)  would want to celebrate finishing 3rd place. Good luck getting the top kids to enroll at any of those schools *IF* this happens. Oh and post your sources, because I’ve heard none of this “talk”. I’m betting you heard this on the “street”

What should happen is a private/public split. MD and Bosco are rolling, we get that. Troy Thomas is doing everything in his power to catch up. Started transfers from 3 other trinity league schools this year and has his QB’s dad on the recruiting trail 24/7. Santa Margarita went all the way to Germany to bring in their best kids. Yes, Germany. Jserra has committed to starting over from scratch. OLu appears to have done the same with their coaching change and recent assistant hires. Public/private split is the best choice if changes are coming.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, SeaShells21 said:

They’ll probably still have trouble beating the Bosco or Mater Dei but at least they’d have bragging rights about being the Division 1 champ. 

Which means what? 😂 “We were the 3rd best team!” He’s just bullshitting. No way this happens. What happens in the future if MD and Bosco aren’t the best teams? Why would they be in their own bracket? It’s just dumb 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, HurricaneNick said:

Of course you want to do it. Even though you (& every private school listed) operate by the same rules as MD & Bosco you can’t win anything meaningful. I understand that some schools (servite)  would want to celebrate finishing 3rd place. Good luck getting the top kids to enroll at any of those schools *IF* this happens. Oh and post your sources, because I’ve heard none of this “talk”. I’m betting you heard this on the “street”

What should happen is a private/public split. MD and Bosco are rolling, we get that. Troy Thomas is doing everything in his power to catch up. Started transfers from 3 other trinity league schools this year and has his QB’s dad on the recruiting trail 24/7. Santa Margarita went all the way to Germany to bring in their best kids. Yes, Germany. Jserra has committed to starting over from scratch. OLu appears to have done the same with their coaching change and recent assistant hires. Public/private split is the best choice if changes are coming.

Not sure what your point is.  MD can still go to the Open.

The rest of the schools want a meaningful playoff.  Nothing against SJB or MD, but they are just too good.  The playoffs have ended up MD vs SJB for the past 5 years so why is it so important for you to win 56-3 in the first 3 rounds?

• Like 3

Just now, Sammyswordsman said:

The rest of the schools want a meaningful playoff.  Nothing against SJB or MD, but they are just too good.  The playoffs have ended up MD vs SJB for the past 5 years so why is it so important for you to win 56-3 in the first 3 rounds?

I don’t see it happening. Eventually MD and bosco won’t be at the top. Then what happens? A private/public split makes more sense to me. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Ararar said:

I seriously doubt the CIF is talking about separating two teams.Considering sams hyperbole I can almost guarantee it’s false

There is definitely some talk of how to improve the D1 division. Look at the first round scores of D1 the last few years. Before a 2 team open division they may try a 4 team open. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Sammyswordsman said:

Yankees won like 30 World Series Texas rangers have 0 yet they’re in same playoffs 

Don Bosco prep won like 500000 games instate in a row, did the other privates separate themselves from Bosco? No. 

they played it and eventually over time got as good as they were,  

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

And speaking of playoffs brackets this upcoming season you won’t even know what division you are in until the playoffs come out. Basically it’s meant for the lower division teams that get a bunch of transfers. But it could work the other way for some teams lose a few games and you’re not in a higher division. 

2 minutes ago, SoCalFball said:

There is definitely some talk of how to improve the D1 division. Look at the first round scores of D1 the last few years. Before a 2 team open division they may try a 4 team open. 

It would be ridiculous to have a two team playoff.Makes no sense at all

• Like 1