Electric Bikes: Buy one. You won’t regret it

On2whls

A couple months ago I got a couple of road focused electric bikes so I could spend time with the missus, and earn good will points towards motorcycling with the guys.  These bikes are both rear hub drive and although they have throttles, are geared mostly for pedal assist.  We quickly learned that we could deal with the hills easily and since we live just a few miles from a fantastic network of forest service roads in the Cleveland national forest, I decided to pony up for two mid level, mid drive, full suspension mountain bikes. 
Today, because it was going to be hot as hell in Corona, we loaded the E MTB’s onto the car and drove to the San Clemente single track located at a state park contiguous to Camp Pendleton.  Because we are not accomplished single track riders we stuck to the periphery trails which in some cases were pretty gnarly and very steep with soft deep dirt in lots of places.  
After going down some pretty steep hills we decided to jump on Christianitos  road, follow it down to the beach, take a quick dip to cool off and then go through town on pavement, working our way back up some very steep hills to get back to the car.

I don’t mind saying, my ass was kicked.  However, there is no f’in way we could have completed it without the benefit of electric assist.  

I’m pretty sure by now you’ve all seen e- bikes.  If you haven’t tried one though, it’s a total game changer.  You’ll actually enjoy riding.

• Thanks 2
  • Like 4

4 hours ago, maxchoboian said:

Have rented them twice for specific rides. We liked them a lot.

In close proximity to the main entrance to Zion National Park, there are numerous places renting e-bikes.  At the parking lots for each of the various attractions inside the park, there are dozens, if not hundreds of them. 

On 8/2/2021 at 2:07 AM, On2whls said:

A couple months ago I got a couple of road focused electric bikes so I could spend time with the missus, and earn good will points towards motorcycling with the guys.  These bikes are both rear hub drive and although they have throttles, are geared mostly for pedal assist.  We quickly learned that we could deal with the hills easily and since we live just a few miles from a fantastic network of forest service roads in the Cleveland national forest, I decided to pony up for two mid level, mid drive, full suspension mountain bikes. 
Today, because it was going to be hot as hell in Corona, we loaded the E MTB’s onto the car and drove to the San Clemente single track located at a state park contiguous to Camp Pendleton.  Because we are not accomplished single track riders we stuck to the periphery trails which in some cases were pretty gnarly and very steep with soft deep dirt in lots of places.  
After going down some pretty steep hills we decided to jump on Christianitos  road, follow it down to the beach, take a quick dip to cool off and then go through town on pavement, working our way back up some very steep hills to get back to the car.

I don’t mind saying, my ass was kicked.  However, there is no f’in way we could have completed it without the benefit of electric assist.  

I’m pretty sure by now you’ve all seen e- bikes.  If you haven’t tried one though, it’s a total game changer.  You’ll actually enjoy riding.

Don't you think that the country is pussified enough, with 40% of the elementary kids, currently being obese?

6 hours ago, Old Rabid One said:

Don't you think that the country is pussified enough, with 40% of the elementary kids, currently being obese?

You might be surprised to find that people who buy electric bikes are getting out and using the bike more often than their regular bikes.  Keep in mind I’m advocating bikes primarily configured for pedal assist.

On 8/1/2021 at 11:07 PM, On2whls said:

What’s a mid level bike set you back? 

8 hours ago, Cossacks said:

What’s a mid level bike set you back? 

$4500-$7000 gets you a bike that will allow you to go on all but the craziest terrain, will perform well, and be reliable. You would have to be a pretty good rider to have bikes in that range be the limiting factor.  At the lower end of that range your suspension components will be good but have limited adjustability and a 500whr battery.  At the upper end, more suspension adjustability, more powerful brakes, and a 650 watt/hr battery.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

On 8/2/2021 at 2:07 AM, On2whls said:

Blame your wussiness on the wife.  😂😂😂

2 hours ago, Bormio said:

Blame your wussiness on the wife.  😂😂😂

Ebikes are like speedos ...

great for the 🏖 beach

and select other locations

but a walk or bike down Main Street 

leaves you open for some ridicule 

Just one of those right time and place thingies 

Ps: rebrand rebrand just like some Hollywood redux....I had a better bike called a moped 40 something years ago...wore speedos too, absolutely best equipment for the job, but they both share the same social status quirks when it comes to applications 

🤷‍♂️

• Haha 2

On 8/2/2021 at 5:32 PM, On2whls said:

In close proximity to the main entrance to Zion National Park, there are numerous places renting e-bikes.  At the parking lots for each of the various attractions inside the park, there are dozens, if not hundreds of them. 

We rented them for a couple different days in the European countryside, riding along rivers and through forests and by medieval towns with the pedal assist bikes that can switch between manual and electric. Ususally included a beer or wine at some older than hell stop in the routes. Absolute blast.

We have non-electric, hybrid road/mountain bikes at home that we enjoy, so I don't anticipate spending $5,000 ea for electric bikes.

But we're about to rent some eBikes again for a town-to-town, around a large lake in the Colorado mountains, fun-filled day with sister and brother-in-law. With these electric things now, some days can be more relaxed than others on a bike, and I'm good with that.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, maxchoboian said:

We have non-electric, hybrid road/mountain bikes at home that we enjoy, so I don't anticipate spending $5,000 ea for electric bikes.

For me, with the main divide forest service road just a few miles from where I live, I’ll keep the bikes pretty busy.

• Like 1