S&P 500 comparison in months under Pres Biden thru Nixon

golfaddict1

• golfaddict1 changed the title to S&P 500 comparison in months under Pres Biden thru Nixon
14 hours ago, golfaddict1 said:

Smart move… very low expense fee (if any) and should be a core holding.  

so you are saying that "wealth transfer"

and wealth divide gaps...

as well as corporate and "big business" dominance,

are a democratic,

and not republican

RESULT ???

🤔

PS: makes sense 👍

BTW: good job LOL...🤣

I participated in wood shop and learned how to type in school… I never learned about stocks in school actually.  
My father introduced me to stocks as did his father… not a surprise in one major demographic category.  

401K plans sure have benefited many, but the wealth divide gap would likely improve a bit if more minorities were in the know about investing and the effects of compounding over time.  Then the father passing knowledge down to their sons becomes no surprise.  

A minimum wage increase would aid in disposable income for savings, but that’s for another thread.  

It is nice to see Clinton and Obama on top though :).  Not gunna lie.  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, golfaddict1 said:

@15yds4gibberish, thoughts on my post above?  Surprised no takers.   

I'll take a swing.  That is cool your father was able to teach you.  My high school was more of a 'teach how to balance a checkbook' type of curriculum.  Lol.  I have no idea what kids learn today but financial literacy should be a requirement.  

A living wage would make way to much sense but there is little chance Repub/Dem could both agree on and legislate.  Corporations rarely initiate a wage increase.  It is really a head scratcher when so many of the populace are against a minimum wage increase that would surely help many of them.  Same with the fight against unions.  Way too many vote against their best interests and continue electing people who do little to nothing for their constituents who are less well off.  Same with our health care in this country, we all need it but not everyone wants everyone to have it, nor do they want to fix and improve it.  

I do believe 100% that the way we are going is not sustainable for this country and our success will depend on how we navigate to a more equitable system.  Not very optimistic considering the citizens in this country are living in two different realities.    

• Like 2

20 hours ago, golfaddict1 said:

Ha!  While your dad was teaching you about investing and the power of compounding, mine was teaching me how to read a racing form...I suspect that contributes to why I enjoy reading your investing posts so much.

But, if there were to be a personal finance class in high school, I have a textbook suggestion (and by the way my woodshop cutting board still serves): 

https://www.amazon.com/Index-Card-Personal-Finance-Complicated/dp/1591847680

Extreme poverty aside, good collection of straight forward advice for starting out.  I give it to recent graduates in my life, and have been pleasantly surprised how quickly a couple of them have been able to build their 'fuck you' pile.

Of course an economy of all savers introduces a whole new set of macro issues, but that ain't happening in this country in any sustained way in our lifetimes (although one could argue that is a transitory problem of the current moment).

• Like 2

16 hours ago, World Citizen said:

I'll take a swing.  Thanks :) That is cool your father was able to teach you. Thx... I have very fond memories of discussing investments with a very wise man and watching investment shows together  My high school was more of a 'teach how to balance a checkbook' type of curriculum.  Lol.  I have no idea what kids learn today but financial literacy should be a requirement.   Agreed and I am not sure either.   

A living wage would make way to much sense but there is little chance Repub/Dem could both agree on and legislate.  Corporations rarely initiate a wage increase.  It is really a head scratcher when so many of the populace are against a minimum wage increase that would surely help many of them.  Same with the fight against unions.  Way too many vote against their best interests and continue electing people who do little to nothing for their constituents who are less well off.  Same with our health care in this country, we all need it but not everyone wants everyone to have it, nor do they want to fix and improve it.   I hear you and yet I can't help but consider myself a hypocrite.   I don't focus enough on ESG investing to be honest.  I'll try to work on that at least while earning money being less of a hypocrite lol.  It's the only game in town the way I see it and long term investing with simply one fund can do magic for your quality of life in the current and/or later years.  It doesn't have to be fancy... but it sure would be nice to be educated enough to know about it.  

I do believe 100% that the way we are going is not sustainable for this country and our success will depend on how we navigate to a more equitable system.  Not very optimistic considering the citizens in this country are living in two different realities.    I hear you and thanks for replying.  

1 hour ago, 15yds4gibberish said:

Ha!  I know, right?   C'mon admins... we need a like and laugh button option not one choice.   While your dad was teaching you about investing and the power of compounding, mine was teaching me how to read a racing form...I suspect that contributes to why I enjoy reading your investing posts so much.   Thx 15, that means a lot coming from an intellectual.   Lol on the racing form... and I sure hope you both shared a heckuva lot more wins than the great uncle I never met.   I can assume with comfort that you both did quite well.   The apple doesn't fall far from the tree (well in my case, there was a hill and quite a decline lol... but I survived).  

I probably mentioned this on the board prior, but sad story about my Grandmother's brother.  He enjoyed wearing nice clothes and dressing like a mobster and his idea for earning like one was to bet at the track.  Unfortunately, he wasn't very good at it and relied on my grandfather to pay his debts until one visit my Grandfather told him basically to pay his debt and stop the shit.   He didn't/couldn't and his debt to the mafia concluded with his demise in the East River.   My father told me this tragic news when I started betting on sports.  

But, if there were to be a personal finance class in high school, I have a textbook suggestion (and by the way my woodshop cutting board still serves): 

Extreme poverty aside, good collection of straight forward advice for starting out.  I give it to recent graduates in my life, and have been pleasantly surprised how quickly a couple of them have been able to build their 'fuck you' pile.   Very cool and thanks for the share!   I'm going to purchase at least one.   Fuck you pile ha... yea, reminds me @imaGoodBoyNow I sold all my HCMC shares :(   Judge tossed out their law suit vs Phillip Morris.   It was always going to be a David Kingman/Rob Deer type swing.  All or nothing.   

Of course an economy of all savers introduces a whole new set of macro issues, but that ain't happening in this country in any sustained way in our lifetimes (although one could argue that is a transitory problem of the current moment).   I'm no economic guru nor am I remotely close to possessing the knowledge of the market like the poster from Jamaica, who resided in Orlando area I think it was?  I forgot his screen name and doesn't matter as it seems he said his good bye and is honoring it.  

Many of the fortunate ones, who were not affected work wise during this covid stint and during the closed spend your money outdoors duration, folks have saved quite a bit... but dare I say, it's likely in the same demographic as you and I that have benefited the most.   Also the increase in home value has boosted net asset value for the same demographic at a higher pct overall.   But as you indicated, in a sustained way is key.  

I would very much enjoy in full retirement status to try and educate folks, whether it be in a school setting or a public library group Q and A session, for example.   

Just a small portion contributed monthly and let it be and watch that balance grow over time.  A bank savings account or a CD is losing money vs inflation.   You have to stomach the drops, especially initially... but longer time horizon, let it rip.    

Thanks for replying :) 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, golfaddict1 said:

You have to stomach the drops, especially initially... but longer time horizon, let it rip.    

This ^^^^ is where people get in trouble I think.  They find it too difficult to stomach the drops and panic a bit.  Stay the course and when it goes down, it will surely go back up, so over the long haul you will benefit much more.  However, in retirement age it is very hard to watch any losses due to the feeling of time running out.  

Btw, DarterBlue was our boards expert while he was here.  Good man.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 15yds4gibberish said:

Ha!  While your dad was teaching you about investing and the power of compounding, mine was teaching me how to read a racing form...I suspect that contributes to why I enjoy reading your investing posts so much.

Extreme poverty aside, good collection of straight forward advice for starting out.  I give it to recent graduates in my life, and have been pleasantly surprised how quickly a couple of them have been able to build their 'fuck you' pile.

Of course an economy of all savers introduces a whole new set of macro issues, but that ain't happening in this country in any sustained way in our lifetimes (although one could argue that is a transitory problem of the current moment).

Have not seen that content,

but it looks like good stuff 🤣

👍

22 hours ago, golfaddict1 said:

c'mon ....lol

you just posted this

Because I said

I was wrong about this once 😜

PS: It is pretty funny tho...you know...

...listening to all the 'lefties',

act all "righty" like.

🤣

BTW: that PS ☝️...

...might be a reason for not alot of takers. 🤷‍♂️ (like none...LOL)

7 hours ago, World Citizen said:

This ^^^^ is where people get in trouble I think.  They find it too difficult to stomach the drops and panic a bit.  Stay the course and when it goes down, it will surely go back up, so over the long haul you will benefit much more.  However, in retirement age it is very hard to watch any losses due to the feeling of time running out.  

Btw, DarterBlue was our boards expert while he was here.  Good man.  

@DarterBlueyup.  That’s the guy.  I enjoyed his take.  He found a system he was comfortable with and rolled with it. 

Retirement investing is definitely a different mindset for many (most).  I hear you.  I have definitely altered my investing plan since hitting 50+.  

7 hours ago, World Citizen said:

This ^^^^ is where people get in trouble I think.  They find it too difficult to stomach the drops and panic a bit. 

‘Dec 18 really tested my patience though.  That was a brutal loss month.  But you gotta stay the course and if your stomach can handle it (and time horizon fits) raise the equity portion (buy on dips)… when there’s chum in the water, the buying sharks will feed off of your weakness and boost their returns.   

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/15/2021 at 8:40 PM, World Citizen said:

It is really a head scratcher when so many of the populace are against a minimum wage increase that would surely help many of them.  Same with the fight against unions.  Way too many vote against their best interests and continue electing people who do little to nothing for their constituents who are less well off.  Same with our health care in this country, we all need it but not everyone wants everyone to have it, nor do they want to fix and improve it. 

The simplest explanation is that Republicans appeal to base human instincts while Democrats don't. It's easier to convince someone to follow their gut feeling than it is to convince someone that a fact, counter to their gut feeling, is indeed factual.

That explains why Republicans have been so successful in crushing unions, defeating minimum wage increases, blocking healthcare reform, blocking infrastructure spending, etc.

It's like a slightly different version of Occam's Razor: the simplest explanation is the one that people are most likely to believe.

Now this changes when inconvenient truths are presented to them like the 2020 election or COVID-19. Then they believe elaborate conspiracy theories that make it come right for their worldview.