Oklahoma 6A D1and D2 Preseason Polls

TheRealCAJ

Oklahoma is split up into 2 6A Divisions.

Major OOS games for Oklahoma

D1

#1 D1 Union vs Trinity, TX

#2 D1 Jenks vs Har-Ber, AR

#7 D1 Broken Arrow vs SLC, TX

D2

#1 D2 Bixby vs Bentonville, AR

#2 D2 Booker T Washington (Tulsa) vs West Monroe, La (BOB)

Really just a handful of meaningful OOS games for Oklahoma.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, TheMaximumHornetSting said:

A better Colorado.

It's actually a really apt comparison; both states have a limited number of "big" (2000+ enrollment) schools in the state, and IMO the lesser number of those schools in Colorado (along with lacking a true enrollment giant a la Union and their 4000+ student body) has allowed Valor to do what they have in Colorado.  

I saw Union in person in 2009 and their depth was the biggest thing they had going for them; just had a ton of bodies that could step up and play a role, and at least that year no one really stood out to me athletically.  I'll also say that Oklahoma folk are BIG, at least in comparison to what we see in Arizona-I'm 6-3 and on most days might as well be Andre the Giant out here, but in OKC I felt more or less average.  Thumb through one of their prep football mags and it seems like half the no-name towns out there have some 220-230-pound kid lining up at tailback.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Wooderson said:

It's actually a really apt comparison; both states have a limited number of "big" (2000+ enrollment) schools in the state, and IMO the lesser number of those schools in Colorado (along with lacking a true enrollment giant a la Union and their 4000+ student body) has allowed Valor to do what they have in Colorado.  

I saw Union in person in 2009 and their depth was the biggest thing they had going for them; just had a ton of bodies that could step up and play a role, and at least that year no one really stood out to me athletically.  I'll also say that Oklahoma folk are BIG, at least in comparison to what we see in Arizona-I'm 6-3 and on most days might as well be Andre the Giant out here, but in OKC I felt more or less average.  Thumb through one of their prep football mags and it seems like half the no-name towns out there have some 220-230-pound kid lining up at tailback.

Dear lord.... Hate to see what youd feel like out here then.... 

7 hours ago, Texasball said:

The top 8 in Oklahoma can play with the top 8 in Louisiana.  I would likely end up something like 4-4 and it wouldn't shock me if Jenks and Union are both better than anyone in Louisiana.

Without question. Louisiana is a little more deeper, but the top teams are definitely comparable 

On 8/5/2017 at 6:02 PM, Wooderson said:

That's giving Colorado too much credit. The biggest difference between Oklahoma and Colorado is the diversity of the populations, and a close second is the emphasis placed on football in general. OK's top 10 would go 8-2, 9-1 against CO's.

What has allowed Valor to do what they do is also primarily three-fold. One, they are a private school with no restrictions in drawing kids from anywhere around the 3,000,000 Denver metro area. And two, when Ed McCaffrey was not selected as head coach of Regis Jesuit high school, he decided to send his kids to newly-opened Valor Christian. There was a Pied Piper effect with Max (Green Bay Packers), Christian (Carolina Panthers), Dylan (Univ of Michigan), and Luke (junior-to-be this year, with offers from Ohio State, Michigan, and plenty to follow) all going to Valor, and the multitude of talented kids who followed them in hopes of being on the "best team." And lastly, the coaching staff at Valor that came from Orange Lutheran stepped up the game in Colorado, competing with what Dave Logan and his staffs have done at the 4 big schools they've won state championships at. Cherry Creek (Logan's current school) and Valor have twice as many coaches as the other schools in the state, and run their programs more like college programs than high school.

Nonetheless, Union and Jenks thump Valor and Cherry Creek, and the rest of the top 10 wins would mostly go to Oklahoma, too.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, maxchoboian said:

Nonetheless, Union and Jenks thump Valor and Cherry Creek, and the rest of the top 10 wins would mostly go to Oklahoma, too.

Agreed. Union and Jenks are regulars in the top 100. Valor Chr. is usually borderline. OK is a tier above CO.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought I saw somewhere that Pomona is playing KC Rockhurst this year. That will be an interesting matchup if Pomona is anywhere near what they were last year. Although, they got thumped by a, barely, top 20-25 GA team last year (Glynn Acad). 

1 hour ago, Omaha Vol said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought I saw somewhere that Pomona is playing KC Rockhurst this year. That will be an interesting matchup if Pomona is anywhere near what they were last year. Although, they got thumped by a, barely, top 20-25 GA team last year (Glynn Acad). 

It does look like Pomona will be playing Rockhurst this year.

As I've mentioned before, Pomona is a public school with an enrollment on the smaller side in Colorado's largest classification, with limited athletes but a coach who challenges his kids to compete against whoever is lined up on the other side of the ball. They are blue collar, with the occasional 6'7" 290 dominant lineman road-grading for 5'7" 160# RBs. They are a very good wrestling school, whose toughness makes them successful in wrestling and football. But their wrestlers, like their football team, are talented on the smaller side (113# state champ, 120# state champ, 132# state champ, 160# state champ).

They have a larger RB this year (5'10" 195#) who is committed to Washington State, but he unfortunately tore up his knee in last year's playoffs and we will see how he comes back this year.