What do you consider a great coach to be?

Ga96

Was a topic from one of our local shows. In my opinion when it comes to coaches greatness is overused.

The way I see it there is 1 currently great NFL coach- Patriots

1 currently great college coach- bama

Very few if any great high school football coaches. (For me a great high school coach is one that has won 5 or more championships without recruiting or having a load of transfers during their tenure)

Most coaches are avg to above avg.

There are few very good coaches. 

Nfl example: Andy reid- Above avg to very good

College example: dabo- very good

Jimbo- very good coach

9 hours ago, The Colonel said:

A great coach inspires young men and women to be better athletes, teammates, students and community representatives. Wins and championships have little to do with a coach’s ability to be great.

Say What?

You can be banned for that kind of thinking.

Or at least FIRED !!!!

Rufus>>

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, HooverOutlaw said:

How many true state titles in that run?

Does that matter. 151 games! Why do you have to shit on everyone else’s accomplishments? Did your momma not breastfeed you? Did you personally fail on all your athletic endeavors and feel the need to take it out in others? Just say good fucking job and move on. 

3 hours ago, Norcalnut said:

Does that matter. 151 games! Why do you have to shit on everyone else’s accomplishments? Did your momma not breastfeed you? Did you personally fail on all your athletic endeavors and feel the need to take it out in others? Just say good fucking job and move on. 

Point being they did not play the best in that run in the state of California, they stayed hidden in the Northern section. Yes I know they did play some great teams in that run before you tell me. But they did not have do it making state wide playoff runs.

Don't be mad because I stated a fact you DLS boys don't like

6 minutes ago, HooverOutlaw said:

Point being they did not play the best in that run in the state of California, they stayed hidden in the Northern section. Yes I know they did play some great teams in that run before you tell me. But they did not have do it making state wide playoff runs.

California did not have a state championship during the streak.  So no team had to do any state wide playoff run.  Were you aware of this?  

How can they stay hidden, as you say, AND play some great teams during the streak at the same time.  

Are you saying that Lad should not be considered a great coach because the state of California didn't have state championships during the streak years?  

14 minutes ago, HooverOutlaw said:

If it’s so damn easy why hasn’t a team even had a streak half as long. The only reason your throwing shade is to make yourself feel better. If you want to get technical then all of Alabama’s national titles are bogus. Did they play in a national tournament to win those titles? 

2 minutes ago, World Citizen said:

California did not have a state championship during the streak.  So no team had to do any state wide playoff run.  Were you aware of this?  

How can they stay hidden, as you say, AND play some great teams during the streak at the same time.  

Are you saying that Lad should not be considered a great coach because the state of California didn't have state championships during the streak years?  

He’s just being a dick for the sake of being a dick. 

29 minutes ago, World Citizen said:

No probably as good a high school head coach there is.

You agreed to my point which is that streak was easier because of not having to make a normal 5 round state title run like most states.

44 minutes ago, Norcalnut said:

If it’s so damn easy why hasn’t a team even had a streak half as long. The only reason your throwing shade is to make yourself feel better. If you want to get technical then all of Alabama’s national titles are bogus. Did they play in a national tournament to win those titles? 

They play a 4 team tournament now.

1 minute ago, Norcalnut said:

I’m about as soft as Alabama’s national titles that were handed to them by an opinion poll and not won on the field.

So these titles won by teams in the 4 team playoffs do not count?

Many of Alabama titles were 1 vs 2 1978 and 1992 for a quick example before playoffs.

Again in the 151 streak no state titles were won?

48 minutes ago, Norcalnut said:

Several teams have streaks half that long. Independence won 109 do the math dummy.

9 minutes ago, HooverOutlaw said:

So these titles won by teams in the 4 team playoffs do not count?

Many of Alabama titles were 1 vs 2 1978 and 1992 for a quick example before playoffs.

Again in the 151 streak no state titles were won?

Not according to your criteria. Did Alabama play in a national tournament? Are the teams in the four team playoff picked or did they win a play in tournament. Aren’t the teams in the top 20 picked from someone’s opinion? So being 1 and 2 is subjective. So all of Alabama’s titles were given to them and not won on the field according to you criteria.