OT: World Cup thread

ATLien12x

4 minutes ago, steeler01 said:

Croatia last WC didn't have the hardest path,  but they were strong and all of these players were in their late 20s. Now these guys are in their 30s. Tough to run 90 minutes in your 30s against these teams that have 20 year olds and the level of talent isn't much of a difference.  This is why most of these teams are winning the 2nd halves imo

Yeah they had an extremely weaker path made worse with Russia beating Spain.   I was very annoyed a lot of the groups are the same as last tournament.   Hope we get a more balanced final bracket this year.  

15 minutes ago, steeler01 said:

Not really big upsets if you look at each teams players man for man and the clubs they play in. All of Morroco's players play on good teams in Europe. 

Also,  Belgium is another team led by old players,  and guys coming off injuries(Witsel, Lukaku, and Hazard)

Saudi Arabia wasn’t too bad on the pitch.  But allowing 2 goals to Poland is like allowing 5 to most.  :)   All kidding aside, true… old teams vs younger and stealth rosters is being noticed.  Belgium yep.  One player even came out prior to todays game and said we’re too old.  White guy, leader.  De Bruyne maybe said it.  Yes.  It was him.  

4 minutes ago, steeler01 said:

I think Canada will score in the 2nd half

Hope so I'd love to see em advance.   Croatia being so good in the midfield looking like a problem since that's where Canada kind of shines a bit too.   

Canada was working Belgium in the middle of the field, but Croatia killing them on counters.  

4 minutes ago, 954gator said:

Yeah they had an extremely weaker path made worse with Russia beating Spain.   I was very annoyed a lot of the groups are the same as last tournament.   Hope we get a more balanced final bracket this year  

MC vs AHP… not for a title.  :)  This would be an open division tilt, probably 2nd round in an 8 team tourney.  As some of have said recently (Steeler and I included), all power states should follow Zona. Open division finishes are the way to go. 3M, 4M 2M = BM (with few exceptions like game above) 

6 minutes ago, golfaddict1 said:

Missed it actually.  Didn’t even see highlights of the game.  I think I heard all goals were 2nd half?  

Was sketch as hell honestly.   There was no VAR review at all that game.  Portugal got that penalty and they didn't check or show the other ones that were extremely close as far as offsides.   They didn't even show the replay with the offside lines etc.   

Here's the penalty

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, 954gator said:

Was sketch as hell honestly.   There was no VAR review at all that game.  Portugal got that penalty and they didn't check or show the other ones that were extremely close as far as offsides.   They didn't even show the replay with the offside lines etc.   

Here's the penalty

Thx but tough to tell imo based on that vid.

I will say that Poland received 3 yellows in a span of like 6 min or close to that in yesterdays match vs Saudi Arabia.  I was freaking out.  Also the crowd was booing every time Poland had the ball… that is until they scored and when they scored again ha, no jeers no boos, and a heckuva lotta pouting.  

1 hour ago, golfaddict1 said:

Thinking about the US squad a bit more… their main weakness might be at striker actually.  Yes Weah scored a sweet goal, but it’s still just one goal in two games.  Sargent has played a bit there and I forget the other guys name at the moment.  Pulisic on the wing had a nice crossbar rip in the tourney.  

Pulisic to Weah was such a sweet play.  Hopefully we see this vs Iran!   Just win and move on. Can’t ask for more than that.  

Nice post. 

Yup, gotta score some goals which this team is not known for.   Guessing they're gonna need to put the two in Twosday.  But as you say, win and they're in.  Here's to hoping for the ghost of Landon Donovan to show up,...But please ghost of Landon do us a favor and not wait until stoppage...

Game will definitely be on in the office while I pretend to work...

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, 15yds4gibberish said:

Nice post. 

Yup, gotta score some goals which this team is not known for.   Guessing they're gonna need two on Twosday.  But as you say, win and they're in.  Here's to hoping for the ghost of Landon Donovan to show up,...But please ghost of Landon do us a favor and not wait until stoppage...

Game will definitely be on in the office while I pretend to work...

:)  👍🏻

Always a pleasure reading your work here.   Yea, seeing Landon and Dempsey on the analyst trail this WC… those were two guys who could net it in big games.  Dempsey was a stud for a period of time for the US, while Donavan was the heart and soul.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, golfaddict1 said:

Yea, I specifically mentioned the Brits above.  Very poor taste.  

Brits usually have great humor.  I’ve enjoyed some shows beyond Benny Hill lol.  Are you being served was a solid comedy.  Also, keeping up with appearances (or close to that name) also funny.  Mrs bucket (it’s pronounced bouquet).  Faulty Towers, etc.  

Forgot a good one called Coupling, that followed young adults similar to Friends.  Good humor and a very good looking petite blonde imho.  

64F43ACD-B1FE-42EE-BAB7-68156528E36B.jpeg

• Thanks 1

Shaky save by Neuer (spelling).  Hit the post behind his miscue on a non threatening shot at him.  Maybe he’s too old and this tourney is showing it?  

Nice rush by Deutschland, but Spain D holds.  10 min in 

Spain with play in and near the box of late.  22nd min. 

I can’t stand Muller (no umlaut over the u for you!).  

Germany close near the 25th min.  This is revving up.  I sense a goal coming soon.  Wide open.  

• Haha 1