OT: World Cup thread

ATLien12x

9 hours ago, I AM IRONMAN said:

Not cool 954. I expected better from you

That’s some twisted dark satire for sure from some Brits.  

On a positive note, I can’t recall USA’s midfield looking this good since I’m not sure when, if ever.   Always the weakest link of their team in the past, is holding up well through 2 games.  Such a treat to finally see a team appearing to have all phases of the game in check to compete at a high level. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, SeaShells21 said:

What has happened to Germany??

I missed their game vs Japan and it’s hard to get a feel just watching highlights.   I’ll be watching today’s game for sure.   That is one of the handful of odd results thus far in the WC. 

This finisher was a bullet up close and you have to love both the Japanese fans for cleaning their seating area of debris and the team itself, with leaving their locker room immaculate.  That’s beyond class and respect.  👍🏻

But… nothing beats a called goal in Spanish!!! :)  The best in lengthy Gol calls.  

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, steeler01 said:

They missed their plethora of chances vs Japan. 

Also,  Mueller shouldn't be starting.  He's to old to be playing as a starter. Halftime sub

Reminds me of Michael Ballak (spelling?).  A guy I can’t stand, but a helluva player and teammate you want on your side.  One of the elite passers I’ve seen all-time.   Not sure how this season went, but last season he was solid.  I haven’t followed Bundesliga this year.  

7 minutes ago, golfaddict1 said:

Reminds me of Michael Ballak (spelling?).  A guy I can’t stand, but a helluva player and teammate you want on your side.  One of the elite passers I’ve seen all-time.   Not sure how this season went, but last season he was solid.  I haven’t followed Bundesliga this year.  

Yes,  very similar. 

Also, the 98 World cup German team brought a bunch of old guys. Klinsmann, Matthaus, Habler etc.  This is Croatia this year

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, steeler01 said:

Yes,  very similar. 

Also, the 98 World cup German team brought a bunch of old guys. Klinsmann, Matthaus, Habler etc.  This is Croatia this year

Thinking about the US squad a bit more… their main weakness might be at striker actually.  Yes Weah scored a sweet goal, but it’s still just one goal in two games.  Sargent has played a bit there and I forget the other guys name at the moment.  Pulisic on the wing had a nice crossbar rip in the tourney.  

Pulisic to Weah was such a sweet play.  Hopefully we see this vs Iran!   Just win and move on. Can’t ask for more than that.  

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, 954gator said:

I didn't create those,  was done by English fans.   That's why I said they were low blows.   I'll delete them if they were too offensive.

Yea, I specifically mentioned the Brits above.  Very poor taste.  

Brits usually have great humor.  I’ve enjoyed some shows beyond Benny Hill lol.  Are you being served was a solid comedy.  Also, keeping up with appearances (or close to that name) also funny.  Mrs bucket (it’s pronounced bouquet).  Faulty Towers, etc.  

14 minutes ago, golfaddict1 said:

Indeed.  Canada has a nice core of talent.  Depth-wise iffy imo.  I’m a big Modric fan, but he’s won enough 😂.  Go Canada!  

I got to see Croatia up close at Hard Rock stadium in a friendly leading up to last world cup.    Man Peru was on fire back then they shoulda have kept that same lineup for that world cup.  Guerrero coming back right at the aorld cuo was crappy timing.   Messed with the synergy.    

There was this hilarious Croatian old woman sitting behind me.   She was so loud haha. 

Sorry vid is so big lmao

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, 954gator said:

What a crazy morning this world cup.   Canada scores vs Croatia in the 2nd minute!

Morocco  defeats Belgium 2-0

Costa Rica beats Japan 1-0

Not really big upsets if you look at each teams players man for man and the clubs they play in. All of Morroco's players play on good teams in Europe. 

Also,  Belgium is another team led by old players,  and guys coming off injuries(Witsel, Lukaku, and Hazard)

4 minutes ago, steeler01 said:

Not really big upsets if you look at each teams players man for man and the clubs they play in. All of Morroco's players play on good teams in Europe. 

Also,  Belgium is another team led by old players,  and guys coming off injuries(Witsel, Lukaku, and Hazard)

Small bets make it fun

Screenshot_20221127_083716_Samsung Internet.jpg

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, steeler01 said:

4 teams are really WC contenders imo

Spain

Brazil

France

Germany

Next tier

England

I don't think anyone else has any chance at winning the WC

True but who saw Croatia making the finals last WC?   Always some random shit happens.    I think France and Brazil are top squads.  I like Spain a lot, but not 100% sold yet.   

7 minutes ago, 954gator said:

I got to see Croatia up close at Hard Rock stadium in a friendly leading up to last world cup.    Man Peru was on fire back then they shoulda have kept that same lineup for that world cup.  Guerrero coming back right at the aorld cuo was crappy timing.   Messed with the synergy.    

There was this hilarious Croatian old woman sitting behind me.   She was so loud haha. 

Awesome 👍🏻

Some years back got to see PSG practice as well as Real Madrid at the Hard Rock.   That was cool to see them go through the warmups through scrimmage.  Their passing skills are amazing.  

Just now, 954gator said:

True but who saw Croatia making the finals last WC?   Always some random shit happens.    I think France and Brazil are top squads.  I like Spain a lot, but not 100% sold yet.   

Croatia last WC didn't have the hardest path,  but they were strong and all of these players were in their late 20s. Now these guys are in their 30s. Tough to run 90 minutes in your 30s against these teams that have 20 year olds and the level of talent isn't much of a difference.  This is why most of these teams are winning the 2nd halves imo