OT: World Cup thread

ATLien12x

46 minutes ago, 954gator said:

Dutch struggled hard with both Ecuador and Senegal especially in the midfield.  They were on a hot streak coming in, but it didn't show in their first two games.  They can definitely be beat.

Ecuador coulda won that group and now they’re out. So goes the WC. I’m glad that England has Senegal. Senegal scores goals, are athletic, and I think they’d be a tough matchup for the US. England will have their hands full . The English and Dutch are kinda a known commodity. And the Dutch clearly aren’t what they were  over the past decade. So you’re saying there’s a chance?!🤣

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Bormio said:

The Dutch can be had for sure.  They are not the team of several years ago.  But, and this is a big but, the US needs to get better at making 1-0 into 2-0.  Good teams get that second goal.  They have the talent, they need the confidence to push hard for the 2nd score.

Totally agree. Example. England got up on Wales and then added goals. They didn’t settle for a 1-0 win. The USA needs to learn to to that. They almost had a taste of that when Weah put that second one home only to be called off-sides…barely. That was a sweet build up as well. I’m hoping that Berhalter unleashes the potential of this team starting on Saturday. No reason not to. Win 1-0 or lose 3-0. It doesn’t matter. Play to win. All of the legit teams do that! 

• Like 2

I was at barstool watching this game and the England vs Wales game. We should have had at least 4 or 5 more shots on goal but guys keep playing with the ball thinking they are Neymar or Messi. We need a little more passing when in range imo, or just take a shot. 9 minutes of stoppage time was nuts. 

• Like 1

Put me in the camp of that goal illustrates what puts the beautiful in 'the beautiful game.'  Paper this morning had a nice interactive breakdown of it.  It begins by pointing out "it was a team goal -- before the ball made its way to Pulisic and the back of the net, nearly every U.S. player on the field touched the ball, starting with the goalkeeper."  You can trace every step of it here:

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2022/11/29/sports/world-cup/iran-usa-world-cup-goal-pulisic.html

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, 15yds4gibberish said:

Put me in the camp of that goal illustrates what puts the beautiful in 'the beautiful game.'  Paper this morning had a nice interactive breakdown of it.  It begins by pointing out "it was a team goal -- before the ball made its way to Pulisic and the back of the net, nearly every U.S. player on the field touched the ball, starting with the goalkeeper."  You can trace every step of it here:

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2022/11/29/sports/world-cup/iran-usa-world-cup-goal-pulisic.html

Now I’m two articles behind.  :)   
Thx for sharing. 

4 hours ago, nptb17 said:

I was at barstool watching this game and the England vs Wales game. We should have had at least 4 or 5 more shots on goal but guys keep playing with the ball thinking they are Neymar or Messi. We need a little more passing when in range imo, or just take a shot. 9 minutes of stoppage time was nuts. 

I like the fact that the refs are making an effort to use more real time vs the bs wasted time that we all see watching games.  
Let the patrons see a full 90+.  I hope more refs follow this policy in the future after this WC… or the players are welcome to stop wasting time!  

4 hours ago, 15yds4gibberish said:

This is why individual talent is overrated in soccer. It's a weak-link sport which means that you're only as good as your worst player.

Why?

Because it's so hard to progress the ball and score that every player on the field needs to have a technical ability high enough to not break the chain.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, golfaddict1 said:

I like the fact that the refs are making an effort to use more real time vs the bs wasted time that we all see watching games.  
Let the patrons see a full 90+.  I hope more refs follow this policy in the future after this WC… or the players are welcome to stop wasting time!  

Man everyone in Barstool was holding their breath waiting for the last VAR ruling. The last replay they showed, I just knew they were going to award the penalty.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Atticus Finch said:

This is why individual talent is overrated in soccer. It's a weak-link sport which means that you're only as good as your worst player.

Why?

Because it's so hard to progress the ball and score that every player on the field needs to have a technical ability high enough to not break the chain.

Spreading the field is so crucial and you need midfielders of quality to achieve this.  
USA has midfielders who can keep the ball and maneuver effectively.  Watching the Champions League and Germany through the years… this opens up so much and allows offenses to attack.  It’s not easy of course, but the best teams clearly do it.  

USA in the past would offer futile Hail Mary 30 meter passes with hang time and that’s not going to work vs better teams.   Such a treat to see quality midfielders for USA.  

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, nptb17 said:

Man everyone in Barstool was holding their breath waiting for the last VAR ruling. The last replay they showed, I just knew they were going to award the penalty.

I was freaking out.  Twice!  But yea the last one late.  I was so expecting a penalty shot.  Whew.  I went for a few cold ones after that.  

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, golfaddict1 said:

Spreading the field is so crucial and you need midfielders of quality to achieve this.  
USA has midfielders who can keep the ball and maneuver effectively.  Watching the Champions League and Germany through the years… this opens up so much and allows offenses to attack.  It’s not easy of course, but the best teams clearly do it.  

USA in the past would offer futile Hail Mary 30 meter passes with hang time and that’s not going to work vs better teams.   Such a treat to see quality midfielders for USA.  

The champions generally have two starting XI's better than most of the other teams in the tournament.

It's about developing high floor players with good technical ability and then developing a lot of them for depth purposes.

We're on the way to this but not there yet.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Atticus Finch said:

The champions generally have two starting XI's better than most of the other teams in the tournament.

It's about developing high floor players with good technical ability and then developing a lot of them for depth purposes.

We're on the way to this but not there yet.

Would be nice to see the countries have more time together as well.  I know it can’t be similar to a club team, but any extra time to me means better cohesion and execution.  
Seems like the countries don’t have much time together beyond a short prep, some exhibiton games and then a layoff where new players may come and go 3 months later or more.   Then the invites and roster is assembled and then back to their club teams until a short prep for WC or other tourney.  

I think we need to start making the extra pass. To many times we have had a run and would not make a pass that would have put us in a more advantageous position vs settling for a hero ball shot or just fubaring it up all together. Defense has been solid. Dest is ridiculous. I do wanna see Gio Saturday assuming he is healthy but who would you bench? Sargent?. I do like the Netherlands match-up. 

• Like 1

Very one-sided half, but the score remains 0-0 Poland-Argentina. 

BS call, but no harm as Wojtek S. stymies Messi’s penalty shot around the 40th min.  

Argentina doing rapid fire, while Poland bending but not breaking.  That’s the first half summary basically.   Lew gets feed passes and he’s alone due to the rest playing D.  He’s one on 3 and at one time he was one on four and forced a throw in… and it milked a good minute off the extra time, helping Poland to get thru the half.  

Argentina 2-0

Fair play points tiebreaker adv Poland vs Mexico (3 less yellows) It’s razor close right now for Poland.  Messi just stopped while posting this.  Close.  Argentina outside of net rip.  I’m stressing big time.  

80 pct games thru.  Poland is not scoring.  They are at the mercy of Argentina or Mexico not scoring.  If either does, no to pa Polska.