OT: World Cup thread

ATLien12x

Flashback to a flight likely around 1998, when our son was a few years old.  Newark NJ to Warsaw, PL  Wife, son and I.  

Two athletic looking black men (one a good 6’4” easy) sat directly to the left of my middle aisle.  I was far left next to one of the men.   It’s a long flight and I’m not an introvert.  :)   

We started chatting and it turns out both were recent college basketball players in the US and were just signed by a Polish pro team.  My father in law showed me an article in a main Paper about the two guys arriving after they took a photo op and interview with press upon arrival.  

It sure made the flight quicker talking about Denny Crum (one of the guys played at Louisville), how their contract works and what’s good to eat in Poland.  :)    They had a sweet gig.  Salary directly to us bank.  All paid expenses for travel and f&b and accommodations.  They were both young.  One had previous experience abroad.  The other was first tour.   I forgot the names and didn’t follow their stints in Poland.  I hope they both enjoyed the experience in PL.  

Brazil 1 Switzerland 0  Final 

Portugal (Ronaldo) vs Uruguay next 

Update on free agent Ronaldo… 

https://www.cbssports.com/soccer/news/cristiano-ronaldo-gets-mammoth-225-million-offer-from-saudi-arabia-club-al-nassr-after-manchester-united-exit/

Also talks about Messi signing with Inter Miami (David Beckham co-owner) heating up for next summer.  Hello ticket increase :) 

10 hours ago, golfaddict1 said:

Brazil 1 Switzerland 0  Final 

Portugal (Ronaldo) vs Uruguay next 

Update on free agent Ronaldo… 

https://www.cbssports.com/soccer/news/cristiano-ronaldo-gets-mammoth-225-million-offer-from-saudi-arabia-club-al-nassr-after-manchester-united-exit/

Also talks about Messi signing with Inter Miami (David Beckham co-owner) heating up for next summer.  Hello ticket increase :) 

Uruguay had some nice chances but just can't find the net.   I'd love to see them advance, but Ghana is solid.    Should be a fun one.  

51 minutes ago, 15yds4gibberish said:

Will have to create a free account to view the article and will read it later on.  Looks interesting and if you shared it, I’m quite sure it is.   Thx.  

18 minutes ago, 954gator said:

That Ecuador robbed win vs Netherlands ended up costing them a trip to the next round.   Feel bad for them.    

Offsides?  obstruction?  Meh.    

Tough call.  Reminds me of hockey.  Once there’s a deflection, the goalie is basically helpless.  In hockey there’s a crease area you can’t be in.  In soccer, i think it’s at the mercy of the ref and maybe further with VAR if they used it or could use it in a case like that.  

Ecuador flashback :) 

June, 2006   Family vacation in Zakopane (Polish winter resort area, but “cool” for warmer visits too).  

Up above the centrum (center) we rented a home and the night of the match vs Ecuador, we had a nice bbq outside and with beer and vodka and the downtown centrum was rocking. Windows open by everyone inside watching or outside by bars. You could hear the excitement before the match.   The fans were psyched.  

Some time in the first half Ecuador scored and my FIL said it’s over and stopped watching.  😂   You no longer heard any crowd noise outside.   My FIL was right.  They lost 2-0.  :( 

• Like 1

Not going to lie woke up this morning thinking US was gonna get stuck with a tie or 1 goal loss.   These are the type of games US team usually gets "upset".     Glad they pulled it off.   Heard the end was nerve racking lmao.   Couldnt watch it, but was hearing patients reacting (tv in lobby)   I knew DVRing would be pointless SMH.   

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, 954gator said:

Not going to lie woke up this morning thinking US was gonna get stuck with a tie or 1 goal loss.   These are the type of games US team usually gets "upset".     Glad they pulled it off.   Heard the end was nerve racking lmao.   Couldnt watch it, but was hearing patients reacting (tv in lobby)   I knew DVRing would be pointless SMH.   

I tried to keep it stealth for DVR viewers.  

I hope you reduced the loudest patient’s pain medicine.  😂.  Few extra drills to be sure?   No Mrs Smith your streak of no cavities is over  I see (I mean I will see) 12 cavities on your X-ray.  You’ll be here awhile.   😉 

• Haha 1

51 minutes ago, Atticus Finch said:

It was a fantastic goal. The long ball from Turner. The long ball from McKennie. The header from Dest.

You’re still a fucking tard….BUT…you’re spot on and I’ll give credit where credit is due. This may be one of then best build ups and gutsy finishes that we’ve ever seen as USMNT fans. Minus one testicle, CP is getting all the credit (as her should), but Turner, McKennie, and Dest setting that up was a thing of beauty. I see that kind of service and think that there’s hope for us with this group of kids. It was as perfect as Donovan’s set up and goal in ‘10…Arguably better actually. I like our chances against the Dutch. It’s not like they’re world beaters lately. 

21 minutes ago, steeler01 said:

50/50 game for sure

Yep. They’ve just gotta believe. It’s a new season and now a game at a time.  They’ve got the talent and hunger to win this game. Experience may be an issue, but don’t let the Dutch past rep intimidate ‘em. That’s on the coaches…for the most part. They’ve got at  least a puncher’s chance in this one. I speculate that the Netherlands are ACTIVELY preparing to play the Yanks. No more automatic wins just by throwing their jocks out there against an American squad that will just park the bus and hope for the best.  I agree that 50/50 is the real odds…and I think that the Dutch know that. Do we?! 😎

1 hour ago, Blueliner said:

You’re still a fucking tard….BUT…you’re spot on and I’ll give credit where credit is due. This may be one of then best build ups and gutsy finishes that we’ve ever seen as USMNT fans. Minus one testicle, CP is getting all the credit (as her should), but Turner, McKennie, and Dest setting that up was a thing of beauty. I see that kind of service and think that there’s hope for us with this group of kids. It was as perfect as Donovan’s set up and goal in ‘10…Arguably better actually. I like our chances against the Dutch. It’s not like they’re world beaters lately. 

Dutch struggled hard with both Ecuador and Senegal especially in the midfield.  They were on a hot streak coming in, but it didn't show in their first two games.  They can definitely be beat.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Blueliner said:

Yep. They’ve just gotta believe. It’s a new season and now a game at a time.  They’ve got the talent and hunger to win this game. Experience may be an issue, but don’t let the Dutch past rep intimidate ‘em. That’s on the coaches…for the most part. They’ve got at  least a puncher’s chance in this one. I speculate that the Netherlands are ACTIVELY preparing to play the Yanks. No more automatic wins just by throwing their jocks out there against an American squad that will just park the bus and hope for the best.  I agree that 50/50 is the real odds…and I think that the Dutch know that. Do we?! 😎

The Dutch can be had for sure.  They are not the team of several years ago.  But, and this is a big but, the US needs to get better at making 1-0 into 2-0.  Good teams get that second goal.  They have the talent, they need the confidence to push hard for the 2nd score.

• Like 2