DLS-Gorman

Rippers

Scouting report on dls.

What We Learned: DLS-St. Francis

By Mark Tennis | Published: September 10, 2017   

At least on this night, not having an effective passing game shows that the Spartans still have a way to go to get close to the CIF Open Division championship level of St. John Bosco and Bosco’s league rivals from Mater Dei. Their front seven on defense, however, could end up being equal to many of the best in school history. For St. Francis, we’ve now watched the Lancers along with WCAL rivals Valley Christian and San Mateo Serra and it looks like the preseason hunch about them being the best in CCS was correct.

Don’t forget to look at this week’s State Top 25 Weekend Scoreboard.

Game Attended: St. Francis of Mountain View (No. 13 in State Top 50) at De La Salle of Concord (No. 4).

How Did It End:Two fumbles in the first half by St. Francis led to De La Salle taking a 17-7 lead. One of those was returned 53 yards for a touchdown by defensive end Michael Puckett. Otherwise, the Lancers played the Spartans evenly. In the second half, though, the DLS defense was dominant while the offense slowly began to take control. After the St. Francis offense was pushed back nearly to the end zone, a short punt gave the Spartans the ball inside the SF 30. They finally punched in a touchdown on a 4-yard run by Kairee Robinson (who earlier broke loose for a 52-yard TD) for a 24-7 lead and then scored again with 31 seconds left. De La Salle won by a final score of 31-7. Usually, after a DLS game, the head coach and some players are available for a few minutes for photos and some questions. After this one, however, the players practically sprinted into the locker room and were in there for almost 30 minutes.

Maurice-Wilmer-200.jpg

Maurice Wilmer scored the only touchdown for St. Francis in its 31-7 loss to De La Salle. Photo: Mark Tennis.

Big Picture:DLS is part of the national scene and has another game on that level next Saturday at Bishop Gorman (Las Vegas). This follows a win last week over St. John’s of Washington DC. For us at Cal-Hi Sports with our statewide focus, those national games mean next to nothing because they usually don’t change the state rankings. De La Salle’s games against teams like St. Francis (and the one coming up against Central of Fresno) potentially have way more impact. If St. Francis were to have gotten the upset, the Lancers would then be in the driver’s seat for the NorCal berth in the CIF Open Division. And since the CIF can put a CIF Central Section team into the north for any bowl game, the game against Central of Fresno offers the same possibility. After the game, DLS athletic director Leo Lopoz was hoping for Bishop Gorman to win in its game against Miami Central since he didn’t want the Spartans to be facing the Gaels with two straight losses after getting 55 straight wins. Miami Central won 24-20 so DLS indeed will be playing an opponent perhaps a bit ticked off. For St. Francis, the Lancers will remain the top-ranked team in the CIF Central Coast Section despite the loss. Their defense basically held DLS to just one scoring drive of 50 yards or more and none of that length after the first series of the game.

De La Salle Breakdown: There were three straight series in which the Spartans got the ball near midfield and failed to score. It seemed like on at least one of those series they were trying to mix in the passing game and to be nice it was disjointed. We know that it’s only two years removed from when the Spartans won the CIF Open Division state title (beating Centennial after it won that insane scorefest against St. John Bosco for the CIFSS D1 title), but the SoCal big three this year all have major college D1 quarterbacks and it’ll be highly probable that Bosco or Mater Dei in the coming years will always have a D1-bound QB. DLS won a state title in 2007 using QBs Mike McGillivray and Blake Wayne and this year’s duo of Andrew Jones (more of the thrower) and Erich Storti (more of the option runner) may be being groomed similarly. The Veer will always be the bread and butter and Kairee Robinson is a great No. 1 back. A second back, perhaps junior George King, also will need to emerge. Still, the offense doesn’t have a lot of size up front and if the passing game or other elements of the offense don’t develop it may be okay to get DLS another NCS title but to do much better against a Bosco, MD or Centennial probably not. Defense was a different story vs. St. Francis. The Lancers rolled up and down the field in their first two games vs. Oak Grove and Palma but were blanked in the last three quarters. Tuli Letuligasanoa, Puckett and Beaux Tagaloa up front with Henry To’ot’o at LB highlighted a front seven that was versatile and punishing. The secondary has some youngsters who can make mistakes — like sophomore Shamar Garrett — but by the playoffs should be improved.

St. Francis Breakdown: At the Nike events in the spring, Lancer QB Reed Vettel has shown he can zip it with the best of them. He threw two great passes during the team’s lone scoring drive, one of 42 yards to Ryan Higgins and then a 29-yard TD to Maurice Wilmer. Passing just isn’t in the St. Francis DNA, however, and in the second half Vettel’s inability to escape the rush was one reason he was sacked four times. Darrell Page also showed flashes of great talent as a running back and hopefully he won’t be in the doghouse too long for his fumbles. Page is a 5-foot-10, 185-pound junior and is a legit D1 college prospect. SF also has two other top-level D1 juniors in TE/LB Josh Pakola (6-3, 220) and OL Nikko Pohahu (6-5, 260). One of the reasons DLS had so much trouble offensive was the disruption caused by LB/DE Junior Fehoko (6-4, 240) whenever the Spartans tried to run on his side. We already knew that DL Tyler Manoa (6-5, 285) was a beast but didn’t think Fehoko was that much of one too. That defensive front will be tough to run against by anyone the rest of the season.

De La Salle Head Coach Justin Alumbaugh: “Last week we can’t do anything right on defense, and this week we can’t do anything right on offense. We had 480 yards of offense last week, and our defense was a mess. This week our defense was really good against a good team — that’s a good team — and our offense was a mess. They’re tough. They’re physical. But we had I don’t know how many penalties, fumbles. We’re running our basic plays, and guys were running to the wrong spot. Something we were concerned about was playing this week after being on ESPN and then next week with Gorman. All we had to do was put (St. Francis) on film and they perked up. It wasn’t that bad of a week of practice but then during the game tonight a couple of kids just lost their minds. We have done the two quarterbacks thing before. Both guys (Storti & Jones) present different strengths. If one of them has the hot hand, we’d stick with the one who has the hot hand.”

Up Next: De La Salle travels to Las Vegas next weekend and will play a Saturday night matchup at national powerhouse Bishop Gorman. The Gaels had a 55-game win streak broken two weeks ago when they lost 35-21 to state No. 1 Mater Dei (Santa Ana). St. Francis will have a bye next week to get ready for the start of its West Catholic Athletic League schedule. That first league game on Sept. 22 also will be a whopper: at Valley Christian (San Jose).

If you enjoyed this article, find out how you can get exclusive content, one-of-a-kind California high school sports content from the Cal-Hi Sports Gold Club.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Pops said:

no question, I assume, on BG being the favorite when both games were scheduled

I just think people are so used to your nonsense that they just blew right passed this incredible claim.

Where are you getting this idea that Gorman was the favorite in 2010?

1 hour ago, Pops said:

I was responding to someone suggesting that DLS was waiting for the right time to schedule Gorman2

This was floated before the season even started by trusted people like myself.

It's not a crackpot suggestion either.

You've been a persistent purveyor of the idea that the Sanchez Brothers are obsessed with De La Salle and have been wanting their revenge for years. 

So if what you say is true then why did this game only come to fruition in 2017 when Gorman was obviously going to be down?

Just now, LOSer said:

You've been a persistent purveyor of the idea that the Sanchez Brothers are obsessed with De La Salle and have been wanting their revenge for years. 

So if what you say is true then why did this game only come to fruition in 2017 when Gorman was obviously going to be down?

Yeah, I certainly think they want to win as would anyone with competitive spirit, but I think they respect DLS and vice verse. I don't think they are obsessed, they have enough on the mantle to not be. 

1 hour ago, Pops said:

DLS finished 3rd, 7th, 1st, 6th, 3rd, and 3rd in company polls from '10-'15 when they did NOT schedule Gorman and now they scheduled a 3x defending USAT champ against a team that was called DLS's worst team in last 25

This is so gross in it's blatant dishonesty.

Everybody on Earth knew that 2017 was going to be a down year for Gorman. Just like everybody on Earth knew that 2014-16 (and 2015-16 at the very least) would be big up years for them.

DLS scheduled them in their worst year since at least 2013 and with a Spartan team that was expected to be much better than the 2016 iteration.

These are facts.

You're just a disgusting and obvious liar.

2 minutes ago, PrepGridiron said:

Yeah, I certainly think they want to win as would anyone with competitive spirit, but I think they respect DLS and vice verse. I don't think they are obsessed, they have enough on the mantle to not be. 

There is no obsession from the Gorman coaches, players or fans with dls.

There is no grudge from the Gorman coaches, players or fans with dls. 

Its just another OOS game. And of course Gorman wants to win. 

2 minutes ago, PrepGridiron said:

That's fine and they may not be obsessed but that's hasn't been Pop's singular line for the last 7 years. He's been all-in on the Sanchez Brothers being obsessed Ahab's trying to capture their Moby Dick.

Now I understand that Pop is nothing if not an attention whore. Bishop Gorman was 3-time national champion and the only way for him to get the ink that he yearned for was to troll the Sanchez Brothers.

But if he thinks they were obsessed and wanted revenge then he has to answer for why this game didn't happen until 2017 when they were most vulnerable.

I thought Tony Sanchize was a former coach in the NorCal area? And he was the one who scheduled the game with DLS? 

DLS only played them 1 year. At worse you can say the next year DLS owed them a return game. Other than that you can't fault DLS for not playing Gorman. 

Realignment and scheduling is different from year to year. Maybe DLS thought this was the year that made the most sense. 

And I hardly think DLS thinks Gorman is "down". They lost to 2 top powers. They got studs everywhere. Just because they are not the MNC top team like the were in the past doesn't mean they are chop turkey that DLS is licking their chops over. 

Hell I think Gorman wins!!! 

• Like 2

Just now, LOSer said:

I just think people are so used to your nonsense that they just blew right passed this incredible claim.

Where are you getting this idea that Gorman was the favorite in 2010?

Gorman was ranked higher in the preseason

Gorman had 2x the * rated players and were 80# bigger along the LOS (DLS had one guy over 220 and he was 245 -- BG was close to 300 along the OL)

at best, this could have been considered a draw on scheduling, but to say DLS was ducking BG '11-13 (when DLS was clearly better) or '14-15 (when DLS was as good as anyone) is utter nonsense

4 minutes ago, Las Vegas_JC said:

There is no obsession from the Gorman coaches, players or fans with dls.

There is no grudge from the Gorman coaches, players or fans with dls. 

Its just another OOS game. And of course Gorman wants to win. 

2 minutes ago, LOSer said:

That's fine and they may not be obsessed but that's hasn't been Pop's singular line for the last 7 years. He's been all-in on the Sanchez Brothers being obsessed Ahab's trying to capture their Moby Dick.

Now I understand that Pop is nothing if not an attention whore. Bishop Gorman was 3-time national champion and the only way for him to get the ink that he yearned for was to troll the Sanchez Brothers.

But if he thinks they were obsessed and wanted revenge then he has to answer for why this game didn't happen until 2017 when they were most vulnerable.

Agree with both of you. 

4 minutes ago, LOSer said:

Everybody on Earth knew that 2017 was going to be a down year for Gorman. Just like everybody on Earth knew that 2014-16 (and 2015-16 at the very least) would be big up years for them.

DLS scheduled them in their worst year since at least 2013 and with a Spartan team that was expected to be much better than the 2016 iteration.

These are facts.

You're just a disgusting and obvious liar.

I'm not sure why he is obsessed with NorCal football either. According to my sources. 

1) He was not born in NorCal 

2) He transferred in to that area

3) He only lived there for 5-10 years (approximately)

4) He doesn't even live there anymore

And yet he wants us to believe that he is an authority on NorCal football. 

1 minute ago, Nolebull813 said:

I thought Tony Sanchize was a former coach in the NorCal area? And he was the one who scheduled the game with DLS? 

DLS only played them 1 year. At worse you can say the next year DLS owed them a return game. Other than that you can't fault DLS for not playing Gorman. 

Realignment and scheduling is different from year to year. Maybe DLS thought this was the year that made the most sense. 

And I hardly think DLS thinks Gorman is "down". They lost to 2 top powers. They got studs everywhere. Just because they are not the MNC top team like the were in the past doesn't mean they are chop turkey that DLS is licking their chops over. 

Hell I think Gorman wins!!! 

My guess is scheduling and this is the year they return the visit. Only the coaches know. 

12 minutes ago, LOSer said:

Gorman started top 3 in every poll

this question is a great example of DLS having a higher bar than anyone else

"why did you ONLY schedule a top 3 team when you were returning what many called the worst DLS team of the last 25 years largely in tact?"

probably because DLS assumed to be playing the winner of #1 and #2 in December

12 minutes ago, LOSer said:

Everybody on Earth knew that 2017 was going to be a down year for Gorman. 

^^^^

Irony

BG was ranked in top 3 of comp poll in preseason so I either assume by "everyone" you are excluding all national polls or are just being funny and lying right after accusing me of dishonesty 

5 hours ago, Pops said:

Not sure how this is a no-win for DLS -- 2 weeks ago, I was being mocked for giving them a 1 in 3 chance and now they're the favorite that can't afford to lose?

just to be clear, DLS is the white whale that the Sanchez' shave been chasing since they were in hsfb without success.  They have an opportunity to go 2-0 vs BG and anyone that would say they were ducking is an idiot -- on average, they've had the higher ranked team between 2010 and 2017 and would have won any year except last year (and, have had better SOS than BG every year)

they also shake their opponents hands pre and post game and don't throw Hail Marys into the end zone, up 5 TDs, at end of game vs outclassed opponent they're hosting 

this game has lost a bit of luster because BG didn't hold up their end -- DLS did.  Still, there's a bit of bad blood between these teams/ programs that approach hsfb very differently and still a national top 20 match up.

to me, this is game of the year

"and don't throw Hail Marys into the end zone, up 5 TDs, at end of game vs outclassed opponent they're hosting."

2011 Dls vs CAL

https://norcalpreps.forums.rivals.com/threads/bishop-gorman-football-bush-league-program.14607/page-2

"observer22

Hall of Famer

Nope. It was DLS at home against Cal in 2011. I was at that game. It was 24-3 and They called a timeout to try to get one more score, rather than just running out the clock. They didn't score, but it was a real eye opener."

Do you remember this hypocrite? 

7 hours ago, Rippers said:

This game has definitely lost some of its luster.  It has also turned into a no win situation for De La Salle.  DLS wins and its "DLS obviously waited to schedule Gorman in a down year".  DLS loses and it is "DLS sucks, they couldn't beat Gorman's worst team in 7 years".

Oh well....

I can see it now! Da BISHOP at 1-3, and STILL in the top twenty five! It's NOT your record with you yokles, but who you lost to! OH WAIT, that doesn't apply to COLQUITT, who lost to three top tier national teams and a state runners up, in the first four weeks of 2016!!