DLS-Gorman

Rippers

35 minutes ago, Rippers said:

This game has definitely lost some of its luster.  It has also turned into a no win situation for De La Salle.  DLS wins and its "DLS obviously waited to schedule Gorman in a down year".  DLS loses and it is "DLS sucks, they couldn't beat Gorman's worst team in 7 years".

Oh well....

Haha!  Too funny.  I was going to say the same exact thing.  That said, BG is not a bad team.  They are still nationally elite despite everyone walking all over their grave at the current moment. Look who they lost to...and who've they've beaten for that matter.  BG could still win this game.  They're at home with a two-game losing streak against team they have history with.  DLS needs to go out and play well and win this game.  They'll be alright regardless.  I think we'll be in for a dandy, personally.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Sammyswordsman said:

After years of smack talking DLS about "dodging" etc.  This is a MUST WIN for The Bishop.

The bolts to the program are loose, and a loss will cause the wheels to fall completely off the wagon.

There is no grudge between these players from Gorman towards anybody from dls. It is just a regular OOS game. 

Not sure how this is a no-win for DLS -- 2 weeks ago, I was being mocked for giving them a 1 in 3 chance and now they're the favorite that can't afford to lose?

just to be clear, DLS is the white whale that the Sanchez' shave been chasing since they were in hsfb without success.  They have an opportunity to go 2-0 vs BG and anyone that would say they were ducking is an idiot -- on average, they've had the higher ranked team between 2010 and 2017 and would have won any year except last year (and, have had better SOS than BG every year)

they also shake their opponents hands pre and post game and don't throw Hail Marys into the end zone, up 5 TDs, at end of game vs outclassed opponent they're hosting 

this game has lost a bit of luster because BG didn't hold up their end -- DLS did.  Still, there's a bit of bad blood between these teams/ programs that approach hsfb very differently and still a national top 20 match up.

to me, this is game of the year

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Pops said:

Not sure how this is a no-win for DLS -- 2 weeks ago, I was being mocked for giving them a 1 in 3 chance and now they're the favorite that can't afford to lose?

just to be clear, DLS is the white whale that the Sanchez' shave been chasing since they were in hsfb without success.  They have an opportunity to go 2-0 vs BG and anyone that would say they were ducking is an idiot -- on average, they've had the higher ranked team between 2010 and 2017 and would have won any year except last year (and, have had better SOS than BG every year)

they also shake their opponents hands pre and post game and don't throw Hail Marys into the end zone, up 5 TDs, at end of game vs outclassed opponent they're hosting 

this game has lost a bit of luster because BG didn't hold up their end -- DLS did.  Still, there's a bit of bad blood between these teams/ programs that approach hsfb very differently and still a national top 20 match up.

to me, this is game of the year

Would have beat BG every year but last year...?

You actually believe that dont you.

1 hour ago, Rippers said:

This game has definitely lost some of its luster.  It has also turned into a no win situation for De La Salle.  DLS wins and its "DLS obviously waited to schedule Gorman in a down year".  DLS loses and it is "DLS sucks, they couldn't beat Gorman's worst team in 7 years".

Oh well....

DLS was the underdog when both games were scheduled (2010, 2017)

they would have been a favorite if a game were scheduled anytime from 2011-2015

11 minutes ago, nptb17 said:

I think I picked Gorman.  Like ya'll have said, Miami Central and Mater Dei are elite squads.  If DLS loses I don't think it's a bad loss at all.   Also I can see them getting their dive game going and grinding out a win.

I'm just not sold on DLS mainly bc their qb play but I think you are right in if they get the dive going and get to 2nd level for the oline they have a shot.  Another thing is that BG's strength is passing down field and that is DLS weakness currently.  Wasn't impressed last week against St. Francis and I hate to go against DLS but I think BG wins if they stack the box.  I'm sure they will bc of zero passing threat.

• Like 4

37 minutes ago, Las Vegas_JC said:

Pure comedy! 

All that MD had to do was answer the phone last year and Gorman would have played them. 

First, please outline the reason(s) why suggesting that the #1 team in the Nation so far this season could compete with and possibly beat the #1 team in the Nation last season is pure comedy. I'm not talking about last year's version of MD. Only this current team. They are pretty darn good and BG losing to them is no slap in the face to their program. Neither is losing to Central.

Secondly, I didn't bring up the topic of why the teams didn't face each other last season. It's not relevant at all. Not sure why you had the reaction that you did. Breathe into a paper bag already before you pass out.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

47 minutes ago, Las Vegas_JC said:

Pure comedy! 

All that MD had to do was answer the phone last year and Gorman would have played them. 

1 hour ago, ThunderRam said:

And this Mater Dei team could have competed well with last year's version of BG, possibly even winning that game with a healthy Amon-Ra St. Brown.

Where did he say Mater Dei tried to play BG last year?

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Blueliner said:

I agree.  What he did at Cal was pretty damn impressive.  Almost took down DLS once or twice. 

I wouldn't say they almost took them down, like Bellarmine could have done in 2011 by simply converting an XP. They did tie the 2008 game in the 4th but never held an actual lead in the 2nd half. The only other game was a 37-0 rout by DLS.

Including the DLS-BG game in 2010, I believe the Sanchez's are 0-3 against DLS.