De La Salle vs. Serra San Mateo

QPRTrinity

This is a Saturday high school football game between Serra, who is predicted to win CIF and qualify for the State Open Division to face MD this year, and De La Salle, a traditional power which has regressed due to the AD Lopoz and the administration.

Being live streamed for free at  

https://fan.hudl.com/United-States/CA/San-Mateo/organization/9195/Junipero-Serra-High-School

Let's see how the lads do.  

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, CaliNorth said:

Has to be right up there as worst qb passing performance ever . Kid is not a qb , just a runner. Simply awful. 

The offense is just terrible…. Just like the last couple years they look confused and out of sync…. The passing game is non existent….

I actually thought the line play looked pretty good on both offense and defense but the receivers, QB and Running backs all look lost out there…. 

Bad formations that make no sense and terrible play calling, a complete recipe for disaster….

And on Defense the linebackers and secondary have no size and are poor tacklers, no one is hitting anyone out there….

For the Gold Standard that DLS has set, this looks like a poorly coached team on offense, they just look lost and like they don’t know who they are….

27 minutes ago, THEOC89 said:

The offense is just terrible…. Just like the last couple years they look confused and out of sync…. The passing game is non existent….

I actually thought the line play looked pretty good on both offense and defense but the receivers, QB and Running backs all look lost out there…. 

Bad formations that make no sense and terrible play calling, a complete recipe for disaster….

And on Defense the linebackers and secondary have no size and are poor tacklers, no one is hitting anyone out there….

For the Gold Standard that DLS has set, this looks like a poorly coached team on offense, they just look lost and like they don’t know who they are….

It seems like these past few seasons that they start out as if they are at the drawing board just trying to learn the basics. The qb only knows his primary option, and the ball is going there no matter if wr  is open or not, 3 defenders or not. Can't read , and doesn't know when to pull it and just scramble . Lb's, db's all seem passive and not knowing how to play the receivers.  Coaching deficiency is really showing itself . Serra is nothing either.  Another laugher in the Open for socal

8 minutes ago, RedZone said:

Been a while.

DLS would probably be better served just going back to the veer and option full time.

I agree…. They need to do something because whatever this offense is they are trying to run doesn’t work:.::

Their Defense only gave up 8 points through 3 quarters, they played good enough to win if the offense could have just scored and sustained drives and held on to the ball….

Terrible game plan and terrible coaching on offense…. The Head Coach and OC need to scrap this Rediculous offense they are trying to run and go back to basics….

• Like 2

The game was closer than the final score indicated but Serra clearly a better team. DLS still has no qb. When was the last time they had someone who can throw? Dorian Hale? Even he wasn’t anything special. If SF, folsom and St Mary’s just load the box and dare DLS to throw I can see DLS having 4 NorCal losses. That was unthinkable just a few years ago!

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Extremely Humble said:

The game was closer than the final score indicated but Serra clearly a better team. DLS still has no qb. When was the last time they had someone who can throw? Dorian Hale? Even he wasn’t anything special. If SF, folsom and St Mary’s just load the box and dare DLS to throw I can see DLS having 4 NorCal losses. That was unthinkable just a few years ago!

Right now DLS has no Chance against Folsom or ST Mary’s….. They could possibly beat ST Mary’s because SM’s weak spot is their defense and they can’t stop the run and give up a lot of points….

Folsom can play defense and may shut out DLS they way they look now….

DLS also has to play San Ramon Valley in League who is loaded this year and not afraid of DLS and PITT in the playoffs IF DLS can even make the NCS open playoff this year…..

So this could be worse then 4 losses this year….

For years, DLS ran the veer against loaded boxes and was successful hitting opportunistic passes..,. Not this hybrid, dumb formation with the QB (who’s not a passer) in the Shotgun 75% of the time nonsense….

It ironic because JA started this offense to “Compete”  with MD and SJB and Attract better players, especially at QB…. They will now have missed the Open against MD or SJB 3 straight years and have gotten worse at attracting any kind of top talent…. 🤣

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, THEOC89 said:

Right now DLS has no Chance against Folsom or ST Mary’s….. They could possibly beat ST Mary’s because SM’s weak spot is their defense and they can’t stop the run and give up a lot of points….

Folsom can play defense and may shut out DLS they way they look now….

DLS also has to play San Ramon Valley in League who is loaded this year and not afraid of DLS and PITT in the playoffs IF DLS can even make the NCS open playoff this year…..

So this could be worse then 4 losses this year….

For years, DLS ran the veer against loaded boxes and was successful hitting opportunistic passes..,. Not this hybrid, dumb formation with the QB (who’s not a passer) in the Shotgun 75% of the time nonsense….

It ironic because JA started this offense to “Compete”  with MD and SJB and Attract better players, especially at QB…. They will now have missed the Open against MD or SJB 3 straight years and have gotten worse at attracting any kind of top talent…. 🤣

Correct me if I’m wrong, but if DLS was still a top team, don’t you think a lot of those ballers on Serra would be at DLS? I know one of Serra’s better players transferred from DLS. Wonder how many of those kids would be in Concord if DLS was still a powerhouse…

44 minutes ago, Extremely Humble said:

Correct me if I’m wrong, but if DLS was still a top team, don’t you think a lot of those ballers on Serra would be at DLS? I know one of Serra’s better players transferred from DLS. Wonder how many of those kids would be in Concord if DLS was still a powerhouse…

If kids aren’t going to DLS because it’s not a top program, what do they think another program will offer?  If they want to play at a top program and the end game is a state title, well, right now that’s an illusion unless you’re willing to settle for the lower level.  I suppose section champ is a good goal, but it does feel a bit hollow.   It’s like the big chocolate Easter Bunny you got as a kid, then you feel the weight of the package, and you know you got the cheap one. 

59 minutes ago, Extremely Humble said:

I don't think too many.  I think DLS has historically (last 30 years or so) lost more players than they get transferring in.  If they did it wouldn't matter anyway until they go back to fundamentals.  IMO

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Extremely Humble said:

Dorian Hale might've been something special, but I'm not sure DLS knows how to develop QBs. Hale was getting snaps as a freshman and started for three straight years, but he never developed the ability to find the open man or deliver an accurate pass consistently. I wonder how he would've done in a system that knows how to develop a passing game.

DLS had Carson Su'esu'e. 6'5" 200 lbs w/ several Power 5 offers. But he couldn't run the veer, so they benched him early last season for the kid they have now, and Carson transferred. Naturally. 

So, they want to attract QBs, but they also want to run the veer, but they also want to pass out of the shotgun with a single offset back or maybe even no backs at all. That's what I'd do, too. I'd do it all. 

I'd take my QB who's good at throwing the ball and then I'd put him under center and have him run the veer. Then I'd put in my running QB and I'd go w/ an empty set, have him roll to his right, even though he throws with his left arm, and I'd have him throw it deep.

I'd also teach my line to drive block, because that's really important for the veer, but then on Friday nights, I'd move the pocket to the right to protect my running QB while he made difficult throws on the run to his tiny, sophomore receivers. 

That's what I'd do if I were in charge. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Extremely Humble said:

It was a long commute for the kid, and as far as I know, DLS isn't ready to help families get their kids to and from campus.

I don't blame the kid or his family. It's now hard to recognize anything special about DLS's program, apart from its history.

• Like 1