St. Joseph's Prep at Lakeland Friday...

badrouter

SJP is ranked as high as 5th (calpreps) and no worse than 12th in all of the national polls, having lost 17-14 to IMG. Lakeland is elite nationally over the last 50 years, but is outside of many top 100 lists due to a 48-34 loss to Miami Norland (who defeated Carol City 66-0 last week). The game is certainly much better and more relevant nationally than Dematha vs. Freedom or a game between two Indiana teams. In fact, it is one of the best games in the country this weekend. Lakeland is a clear underdog here. But, they are at home and it's still conceivable that the Norland team that beat them is the best team in Florida ( I sincerely hope no one has a heart attack while reading that!). You can watch the game here.

Also, Youtuber "Deestroying", with several million subscribers, shared his video chronicles of the aforementioned Lakeland-Norland game here

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, dntn31 said:

Taking potshots at the Pickem game selection is reserved for those brave enough to participate.

@Cossacks Fine I'll say it for him...

Could have had SJP vs Lakeland and Defending 5A champ  Ware County vs Defending 4A champ Benedictine... 

But instead we got Trinity league power bottom OLU again and Fish Sticks from Indiana

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

This is a regional All-Star team, pulling from numerous states, blue chip prospects from all over against a neighborhood town team who is playing with a brand new coach for the first time in 47 years. 

lakeland is out manned at every position. This game will get ugly fast. You will quickly file this under “why the fuck was this game even scheduled?”

9 hours ago, badrouter said:

SJP is ranked as high as 5th (calpreps) and no worse than 12th in all of the national polls, having lost 17-14 to IMG. Lakeland is elite nationally over the last 50 years, but is outside of many top 100 lists due to a 48-34 loss to Miami Norland (who defeated Carol City 66-0 last week). The game is certainly much better and more relevant nationally than Dematha vs. Freedom or a game between two Indiana teams. In fact, it is one of the best games in the country this weekend. Lakeland is a clear underdog here. But, they are at home and it's still conceivable that the Norland team that beat them is the best team in Florida ( I sincerely hope no one has a heart attack while reading that!). You can watch the game here.

Also, Youtuber "Deestroying", with several million subscribers, shared his video chronicles of the aforementioned Lakeland-Norland game here.

Should be a good game. A florida superpower vs one of the Beasts of the East

Both schools recruit very well and both schools pick up a lot of transfers in the offseason.

I believe Lakeland picked up 5 of the Top 10 transfers in Polk County this year.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

40 minutes ago, RedZone said:

Should be a good game. A florida superpower vs one of the Beasts of the East

Both schools recruit very well and both schools pick up a lot of transfers in the offseason.

I believe Lakeland picked up 5 of the Top 10 transfers in Polk County this year.

Sad no one is taking about Louisiana high school football? That’s pathetic. The only things coming from that state is Warren Easton got busted for recruiting. West Monroe head coach is on leave. Byrd got pummeled by Pleasant Grove TX, One of the top teams (Zachary) in the state is snaking out of a game with Curtis, and Curtis is playing the 118th Florida team. 

Thats how irrelevant Louisiana is 

• Haha 2

47 minutes ago, 954gator said:

SJP going to get revenge for when Lakeland went up Pa back in 2008?  

https://www.pennlive.com/westernpafootball/2008/09/lakeland_routs_pittsburgh_cent.html

Was that the year Lakeland had Rainey at TB?  If it was, my friends son played them - he was at St X in Ohio.  He said the crazy thing is that they all thought Lakelands FB Jamar Taylor was better then Rainey.  Taylor went to Alabama then USF and would average 7-10 yards a carry but barely got in and as I understand it was in the coaches doghouse.  Being they had the Pouncey twins on the oline I'd have to say that could have been the best HS running game Ive see.                            Giovanny Bernard and James White were a better duo but to have the Pouncey twins both on the same line in HS blocking for those RB's is a serious ground game

50 minutes ago, 954gator said:

It would be pretty cool if Lakeland got the W tho.   Pullin for em.  

I don't see happening - agree with your earlier post,  Yes Lakeland gets transfers - it is not even close to what goes on with the parochial schools in the northeast where they basically become the only 1-2 good teams in a huge area leaving the rest of the area with crap..  Cant see Lakeland having enough beef and depth on the dline to hold  up

1 hour ago, GrecoRoman said:

Was that the year Lakeland had Rainey at TB?  If it was, my friends son played them - he was at St X in Ohio.  He said the crazy thing is that they all thought Lakelands FB Jamar Taylor was better then Rainey.  Taylor went to Alabama then USF and would average 7-10 yards a carry but barely got in and as I understand it was in the coaches doghouse.  Being they had the Pouncey twins on the oline I'd have to say that could have been the best HS running game Ive see.                            Giovanny Bernard and James White were a better duo but to have the Pouncey twins both on the same line in HS blocking for those RB's is a serious ground game

Nope that was two years after Rainey and Co graduated.  08 was the year STA got their revenge though :)   

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, GrecoRoman said:

Lakeland played St. X in 06.   Was a great game.   Those St. X teams were excellent.

14 hours ago, Nolebull813 said:

This is a regional All-Star team, pulling from numerous states, blue chip prospects from all over against a neighborhood town team who is playing with a brand new coach for the first time in 47 years. 

lakeland is out manned at every position. This game will get ugly fast. You will quickly file this under “why the fuck was this game even scheduled?”

Preposterous, but very much in character. 

6 hours ago, GrecoRoman said:

I don't see happening - agree with your earlier post,  Yes Lakeland gets transfers - it is not even close to what goes on with the parochial schools in the northeast where they basically become the only 1-2 good teams in a huge area leaving the rest of the area with crap..  Cant see Lakeland having enough beef and depth on the dline to hold  up

Lakeland has had teams that would be able to match up with or even best The Prep in the trenches. But, this does not appear to be one of those teams. It's conceivable that they won't be out-manned THAT much, but we don't know about that yet.

A big question, which is mostly not being asked is, How does 2023 Miami Norland compare to 2023 Miami Central? I think the assumption is that the 2023 results will be a facsimile of the 2022 results. If that is correct, then Lakeland's loss is a bad loss and they can forget beating SJP. BUT, what IF Norland goes 15-0 with two wins over Central? In that case, I don't think the loss was that bad and I do think it's reasonable to think Lakeland can win this game.

• Like 1