Ohio Week 8

OdbCle

Here's how I have it heading into week 8: 

1. Hoban (#1, beat Walsh Jesuit 57-7) - An opportunity for Walsh to try and swing the balance of power in Akron, Hoban was having nothing to do with it. They jumped out early and kept their throat on the jugular until the closing minutes in a completely dominant affair. Big game this week against Glenville, a team that can at least match them athletically and physically. vs. Glenville on 10/6 

2. Massillon (#2, beat St. John's College (DC) 28-7) - The OHSAA ultimately cleared Owens in the hours leading up to the game.  SJC scored on their opening drive but were shut out the rest of the way by a very physical Massillon defense. Things got chippy in the second half with multiple PF's and the game was ultimately called in the 4th quarter after the SJC QB took a huge shot. The Tigers will finally go on the road this week for first time this season. @ Austintown-Fitch on 10/6

3. St. Edward (#3, beat St. Ignatius 42-7) - Ignatius got a nice return into Ed's territory on the opening kick, but then it was pretty much all downhill for the Wildcats after that. Ed's proceeded to intercept the first play from scrimmage and built a 14-0 lead enroute to a running clock victory.  The Ed's offense got a boost as senior QB Casey Bullock made a surprise return from his knee injury. He did not run at all in this game but was efficient through the air. On the flipside, the Ed's defense did not allow a single pass completion. vs. Clarkson Football North (ON) on 10/7

4. TCC (#4, beat SJJ 35-7) - The Irish are pretty much on cruise control the next few weeks heading into the playoffs. @ Orchard Lake St. Mary (MI) on 10/6 

5. Avon (#5, beat Berea-Midpark 41-0) - Avon continues to look impressive and blanks a Berea-Midpark team that actually has some talent, but continues to underperform.  vs. Midview on 10/6

6. Gahanna-Lincoln (#6, beat New Albany 20-7) - Went as expected this past week as New Albany can play D, but not much else. vs. Westerville Central on 10/6

7. Pick North (#7, beat Westland 55-6) - Destroyed an overmatched Westland team. Two more tune-ups before GL. vs. Grove City on 10/6

8. Glenville (#8, beat Rhodes 42-6) - With two more Senate league teams on the schedule before the DIV playoffs, this very well could be Glenville's last competitive game of the season as they head to Akron to take on Hoban. Should be a physical contest of strength on strength with the bruising run game of Glenville and D'Shawntae Jones going against a very talented from seven on defense for Hoban. @ Hoban on 10/6

9. Moeller (others, beat Elder 38-7) - Since getting owned by the state of Indiana early in the season, Moeller appears to be coming into their own with the new coaching staff.  Jordan Marshall rushed for 3 and threw for 1 in a dominating win over previous #9 Elder. vs. St. Ignatius on 10/7

10. Elder (#9, lost to Moeller 38-7) - I'm going to give Elder a bit of a pass here after getting thumped by Moeller and keep them in the top 10 (for now). Their resume is still better than every team I have in the others category, and I'd favor them on a neutral field.  vs. Life Christian Academy (VA) on 10/6

Others: Princeton, Hilliard Bradley, Olentangy Berlin, Olentangy, Cleveland Heights, X, Lakota West, Riverside, Canton McKinley, Centerville, Withrow, Milford, Youngstown Ursuline, Winton Woods, Walsh Jesuit

• Like 1

Top week 8 games:

Hoban (6-0) v. Glenville (5-2)

Massillon (7-0) @ Austintown-Fitch (4-2)

St. Edward (6-1) v. Clarkson Football North (ON)  (2-1) 

Cleveland Heights (6-1) v. Medina (5-2)

Riverside (7-0) @ Kenston (6-1)

Ursuline (7-0) v. VASJ (5-2)

Centerville (6-1) @ Springfield (3-4)

Olentangy (6-1) v. Hilliard Darby (4-3)

Milford (7-0) @ Winton Woods (6-1)

Moeller (4-3) v. Ignatius (1-6)

St. X (3-4) v. La Salle (4-3)

Pardon the TJ.  

My fav twitter account of late shared a vid I think some of you will enjoy.  

Edit:  watched the full vid and it’s pretty cool.  Tough sticking d and a talented PK.  
Madden and Summerall were really into it.  👍🏻 to CBS for doing that.  I’m quite sure Sandy Grossman was directing that gig.  

https://x.com/kevg163/status/1709398606506037694?s=46&t=Ub_4ZB--blmAW22AUOdwqQ

7 hours ago, golfaddict1 said:

Pardon the TJ.  

Edit:  watched the full vid and it’s pretty cool.  Tough sticking d and a talented PK.  
Madden and Summerall were really into it.  👍🏻 to CBS for doing that.  I’m quite sure Sandy Grossman was directing that gig.  

Never saw a game at Wittenberg, but back in the 80s and 90s, St. Eds used to play some home games at Baldwin-Wallace, and it was also frequently used for high school playoff games.  It was a great stadium.  One of the best performances I ever saw took place there — when Chris Williams rushed for 300 yards and 6 TDs in the first half in a playoff game against Berea-Midpark in 1986.  That game was insane.  It was crazy cold.  Williams scored almost every time he touched the ball.  I think he had 4 or 5 TDs over 50 yards.   Had a huge game against Berea the next week at the same venue, too, including a 95-yard TD.  Good times.  LOL.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, golfaddict1 said:

Pardon the TJ.  

Interesting when they expressed surprise that the  quarterback Tobias was considered to be the best breakaway runner in the game.

Running quarterbacks were a rarity back then …

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Wosinc said:

Interesting when they expressed surprise that the  quarterback Tobias was considered to be the best breakaway runner in the game.

Running quarterbacks were a rarity back then …

Indeed!  I caught that mention and had the same reaction.  👍🏻

Also Madden was so good.  He refers to A gap blasts/dives setting up the option and the next play option for a first down. :) 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, reggid said:

Never saw a game at Wittenberg, but back in the 80s and 90s, St. Eds used to play some home games at Baldwin-Wallace, and it was also frequently used for high school playoff games.  It was a great stadium.  One of the best performances I ever saw took place there — when Chris Williams rushed for 300 yards and 6 TDs in the first half in a playoff game against Berea-Midpark in 1986.  That game was insane.  It was crazy cold.  Williams scored almost every time he touched the ball.  I think he had 4 or 5 TDs over 50 yards.   Had a huge game against Berea the next week at the same venue, too, including a 95-yard TD.  Good times.  LOL.

👍🏻 there are some true HSFB fans in here.  Nothing wrong with old stories imo.  Good read.