Tampa Bay Area in Semifinals

181pl

DFB had Shoelace and he beat STA 2 of 3 as I recall.  

Miramar beat STA with Cogdell 3x in a row and Cogdell would not have lost to a backup QB who very rarely attempted a pass, but Cogdell was at WVU (new hire coach) that season.  

Dwyer (PBC public) beat STA 2 of 3 in playoffs.  

Dillard has had quality talent thru the years.  They dismantled last season it seems w transfers as has DFB. 

It’s not a public/private issue. Publics have been winning for decades without a peep. Privates started to step up and they have had success. No one said a word when the public’s were beating the privates heads in for years and years. I don’t think separating them will help. 

Hell the metro and suburban thing got blown up by Venice. Literally the year before the metro/suburban split, Venice which is suburban, steamrolled 3 metro teams in a row to win the state championship. Publics Cocoa and Lakeland are in suburban classes and they have won multiple titles in the old system. 

The problem is there are too many classes. There needs to be 6 maximum. Public schools have open enrollment which levels the playing field with privates. 

The top dogs are gonna eat regardless. Adding more classes and separating the state into population densities is stupid. All it does it water down all the classes, and lets some random teams who should have no shot at a real title compete for some participation trophy. 

Venice took out STA in the playoffs when their QB carried the rock 111 times it seemed.  :)  

Lakeland vs STA in playoffs doesn’t need much further discussion.  

Two more public schools away from SoFL vs STA

Cocoa 2023*  also a public school 

Cooper City (public) reg season… pretty sure they beat STA without a single FBS recruit on the field that game.  Art Taylor was the HC (DFB with Shoelace).  

49 minutes ago, Nolebull813 said:

It’s not a public/private issue. Publics have been winning for decades without a peep. Privates started to step up and they have had success. No one said a word when the public’s were beating the privates heads in for years and years. I don’t think separating them will help. 

Hell the metro and suburban thing got blown up by Venice. Literally the year before the metro/suburban split, Venice which is suburban, steamrolled 3 metro teams in a row to win the state championship. Publics Cocoa and Lakeland are in suburban classes and they have won multiple titles in the old system. 

The problem is there are too many classes. There needs to be 6 maximum. Public schools have open enrollment which levels the playing field with privates. 

The top dogs are gonna eat regardless. Adding more classes and separating the state into population densities is stupid. All it does it water down all the classes, and lets some random teams who should have no shot at a real title compete for some participation trophy. 

Private recruiting factories play with a tilted field. There are no “big dogs” except a few recruited up privates and miami central. I can’t help you beyond this…

25 minutes ago, 181pl said:

Private recruiting factories play with a tilted field. There are no “big dogs” except a few recruited up privates and miami central. I can’t help you beyond this…

But they were like that in the 2000’s when Plant, Lakeland, and Armwood were cranking out titles. 

The only difference is the talent is better in South Florida, so when they accumulate talent (just like publics have been for years and years), it is gonna be a better product. South Florida is basically being criticized and punished for having all the talent.

Because Plant, Armwood and Lakeland had a lock on all area talent for years back in the Castle, Weiner, Callahan days. 

So I don’t think your gripe is these teams stacking talent. I think your gripe is the talent they are stacking is head and shoulders better than the rest of the state, and it shows in the results 

On 11/26/2023 at 12:31 PM, Nolebull813 said:

You wanna see some bullshit? These are the computer state rankings for poor ole suburban teams and monster metro teams. 

4-suburban 

#6 Buchholz

#13 Deland

#15 Venice 

#22 Lakeland 

4-metro 

#10 Mandarin 

#19 Columbus 

#45 Monarch 

#54 Plant 

How the hell is Lakeland not in Metro? 

19 minutes ago, Nolebull813 said:

They do it by county. The metro classes are comprised of the top 8 counties according to population density. 

The epicenter of all the changes over the last 7 years is Polk County.

School districts being forced to accept transfers from other districts. The Metro/Suburban split. All of it. And all to their benefit.

Polk being a bedroom county for both Tampa and Orlando makes this distinction laughable, too.

4 hours ago, Nolebull813 said:

I went to that game in Orlando. I was trying to meet up with Canes. He wasn’t having it. Too bad I thought we were besties. The game was in 2016 so we might be talking about different games 

I was on the sidelines for the first game in 2010. After that debacle, I was not about to go on the sidelines for the 2016 wipe out. Lol.

Canes and I had talked about meeting up at Largo when Saint Thomas visited Largo many many moons ago. Didn’t happen. I believe I did meet neutral observer that game. The elusive one. Lol.

1 hour ago, 181pl said:

I was on the sidelines for the first game in 2010. After that debacle, I was not about to go on the sidelines for the 2016 wipe out. Lol.

Canes and I had talked about meeting up at Largo when Saint Thomas visited Largo many many moons ago. Didn’t happen. I believe I did meet neutral observer that game. The elusive one. Lol.

I remember them playing Largo. I think it was televised and Largo didn’t get embarrassed. Lol. 

7 minutes ago, Nolebull813 said:

I remember them playing Largo. I think it was televised and Largo didn’t get embarrassed. Lol. 

I think Largo was up at half time if I’m not mistaken? Or at least it was very close. STA pulled away in the second half. But it was not a blowout.