Lakeland is the reason we have super teams in Florida

Nolebull813

17 minutes ago, badrouter said:

SJP was better in 2023 than 2022-this was mostly understood all along. 

You literally just make this stuff up.

Also, so what? Has nothing to do with anything you're trying to sell me. You're so invested in taking subtle pot shots at STA that you never actually make your case.

SJP being better this year has nothing to do with whether Lakeland's 2023 schedule was better than STA.

20 minutes ago, badrouter said:

I'd bet your coaching staff would concede that SJB-SJP would've been a toss-up this season.

We didn't play SJP this year. This is a completely meaningless statement.

You have some of the worst arguments I've ever seen. The guy who started a thread to whine about comparing teams from different seasons is employing this as his *sole* argument.

Classic.

23 minutes ago, badrouter said:

No, it doesn't. I mean, we haven't even heard the case explained yet. But, at present, it is the same as "trust me, bro".

No, it's objectively different since I'm not telling you to trust me. I'm saying that the two most commonly used algorithms haven't had Lakeland with a tougher schedule.....maybe ever? That's a pretty safe guess.

I could tell you my opinion but that wouldn't sway anybody.

23 minutes ago, badrouter said:

No one who knows what they're talking about and is honest will tell you they're certain either of those teams are better than Lakeland at the end of the season.

I can't believe that you honestly employ this argument after every season.

Even years when Lakeland sucks you still say something similar to this.

Insane.

10 hours ago, 181pl said:

Agreed for most part. Miami northwestern and Booker T. Washington were excellent teams in the mid-2000s, probably better than St. Thomas. MNW especially. But with the 2008 STA super team that marked the point when they surpassed Miami schools  and other sf privates. Miami central has probably been the better team here or there but by and large for the last 15 seasons, St. Thomas is the cream of the crop in Florida outside of your anomaly here or there.  They’ve had occasional close losses to a Miramar or BTW in the regular season, a few oos losses and Lakeland with the Bowman crew but that’s it. 

181 you're better than this, or at least I thought.

Lakeland 2004/2005/2006 3-Peat and 2 NC's had a "total" of 3 transfers. That's 1, 2, 3.

Your Tampa friend is a cheap circus act, don't follow behind him. Do better. 

7 hours ago, 181pl said:

STA did not play booker T when they came on like gangbusters from say 2005 to 2008 or nine. Then BTW goes 42-1 with three straight state championships and a national title between 2012 and 2014. So see what you want, but Booker T. was a heck of a program. I would favor those teams over STA from 06 and 07 and in 2012-2014. 

Cherry picking was his HS major

32 minutes ago, Atticus Finch said:

By the way, Homestead did not play Clearwater Academy.

Soo....

🤨

Actually they did genius. 

CAI had 4th quarter leads against Homestead, Columbus, Edgewater only to lose in the end because the 9th grade QB started playing like a 9th grade QB late in those contest.

Their 4-star QB did not play a game this year, if he had they finish 10-0 with a Top 15 national ranking.

17 hours ago, Atticus Finch said:

But somehow these two goofballs are trying to use it to down Homestead and elevate Lakeland?

Uh, what?

Why is everybody from Polk County a dumbass?

Where did I down Homestead? They should and would have beaten your soft golden boys with a middle school level soccer player at their kicker position

Why is everybody from Broward County either gay or a thug?

• Haha 1
  • Confused 2

On 12/18/2023 at 7:46 PM, Atticus Finch said:

What's funny about this is that Homestead "beat" Clearwater Academy in a game that didn't count.

Lakeland *lost* to them.

But somehow these two goofballs are trying to use it to down Homestead and elevate Lakeland?

Uh, what?

Why is everybody from Polk County a dumbass?

When you look at this Lakeland team at its best (which was for fewer than half the games due to injuries and mass suspensions) the biggest playmakers were RB D'marius Rucker, WR Rick Penick, RB Jordan Henderson and WR/RB/DB Carlos Mitchell. If any one of those players had played vs. CAI, Lakeland wins that game. (WR Jamar Taylor had 1 catch for 1 yard; perhaps he was banged up as well). As it was, Lakeland was still going to win the game as they lined up for a FG to extend a 5-point lead with roughly two minutes to play. But, CAI hurdled through easily on a missed assignment, blocked the kick, got the sweet bounce that enabled them to return it about 90 yards for the game-winning TD. 

In the comparison score game, Venice beat CAI by 11. Columbus beat them by seven, after trailing by 21. Homestead won by two points. One figures the freshman QB who faced Homestead, Columbus, Edgewater etc had to improve some over the seven games and two months that preceded the Lakeland game.

Cocoa and STA are two teams I would've liked Lakeland's chances against due to neither having a QB that threatens the defense in the run game. Buchholz put up the kind of numbers on offense that suggested they'd also light up Lakeland's defense and yet they didn't, largely because Doug Johnson's son wasn't a running threat. Lakeland's back seven was pretty good against the pass. The issue was they lacked physicality up front, so big OLs with excellent dual-threat QBs were a problem. The four games where they really got gashed were against two of the most prolific dual-threat QBs in the country (not hyperbole, Ennio Yapoor and Semaj Jones really are that) and two hyper up-tempo offenses who scored a boatload of points against everyone.