Arizona-OU

steeler01

3 hours ago, steeler01 said:

This is more on OU then Arizona doing anything good. 

Arnold is an awful QB

No. This is Arizona being a great team. They’re a legit top 10 and in a 12-team playoff there isn’t a team that would be happy to draw them. They’d get a reaction like Michigan when they found out they were gonna play Alabama. “Yay!….?”

5 hours ago, steeler01 said:

OU 137 rushing yards in the 1st half.  Arizona is gonna need to force another 3 turnovers to win this game because that defense is gonna be worn out in the 4th

5 hours ago, GoBigBlack said:

They’re tough as nails. They gave up one 70ish yard rush, outside of that they’re solid. The Alamo Bowl always delivers, though.

4 hours ago, steeler01 said:

OU scores here,  that might be game

4 hours ago, GoBigBlack said:

Not a chance that’s the game, but injuries killed Arizona. They’re a top 10 team at full strength… can’t lose anyone, though.

4 hours ago, steeler01 said:

They don't have the lines imo to play the best teams. 3 to 1 edge in turnovers in the 1st half and they were down 14-13.

OU playing a clean game blows them out

Says every opponent they’ve played. They have players with title game experience on the d line. And former four-star transfers from Michigan and UCLA on the d line. And they go a bit deep with some very under-recruited guys, a couple from Mater Dei. Same as a lot of their players. This team is a Boise St peak Chris Peterson. They’re a Money Ball Brad Pitt Oakland Athletics team. Whatever you want to call them, they’ll kick your fuckin ass.

They shouldn’t have even won six games. Then shouldn’t have been in the Alamo Bowl. And they definitely shouldn’t have just laid down one of the premiere programs in college football that was fairly close to making the four-team playoff (and lost by 7 to a team that did make the playoff) like an old coon dog that had seen its last hunt. There’s a reason they’re something like 11-2 against the spread (and won the games they didn’t cover)… they shouldn’t have done a lot of things. But they should be 12–1… and they should be in the college football playoff. 

image.jpeg.0fb69a678b073f375ef28e0c79eaa480.jpeg

• Like 1

4 hours ago, GoBigBlack said:

Says every opponent they’ve played. They have players with title game experience on the d line. And former four-star transfers from Michigan and UCLA on the d line. And they go a bit deep with some very under-recruited guys, a couple from Mater Dei. Same as a lot of their players. This team is a Boise St peak Chris Peterson. They’re a Money Ball Brad Pitt Oakland Athletics team. Whatever you want to call them, they’ll kick your fuckin ass.

They shouldn’t have even won six games. Then shouldn’t have been in the Alamo Bowl. And they definitely shouldn’t have just laid down one of the premiere programs in college football that was fairly close to making the four-team playoff (and lost by 7 to a team that did make the playoff) like an old coon dog that had seen its last hunt. There’s a reason they’re something like 11-2 against the spread (and won the games they didn’t cover)… they shouldn’t have done a lot of things. But they should be 12–1… and they should be in the college football playoff. 

OU was up 24-13 deep in Arizona territory before that pick 6/ Fumble happened.  At that moment OU was -1500 to win. You could've gotten Arizona at +1200 at that moment.

Fifita was hit a lot throughout the game and was fortunate not to have 2 or 3 picks.

• Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, steeler01 said:

OU was up 24-13 deep in Arizona territory before that pick 6/ Fumble happened.  At that moment OU was -1500 to win. You could've gotten Arizona at +1200 at that moment.

Fifita was hit a lot throughout the game and was fortunate not to have 2 or 3 picks.

Typically from the left side. Their first-round left tackle sat out, and it showed. Like I said, they’re elite but thin and can’t afford losses. 

Oklahoma really only started moving the ball after Tacario Davis went down. They literally threw at his replacement the next two plays in a row, and picked on him/them the rest of the game. I didn’t make note of who was in coverage on those long passes but I’d bet it was one of the backups. That loss was huge, he’s their best defender.

Like I said, I think it’s the other way around… Arizona didn’t get lucky coming back, Oklahoma got lucky getting that lead. 

The Wildcats should return 9 starters on defense and 8 or 9 on offense. Good luck, remaining Big 12 teams. You’ll need it in 2024.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, HooverOutlaw said:

Miss state beat them who fired their coach.

With their other QB playing on the road after throwing 4 picks and fumbling in the red zone they still took it to overtime. That was four months ago… they haven’t lost a game since triple overtime on the road at USC on October 7th. 

If Arizona played Miss St today they’d be a 20+ point favorite. Easily.

6 hours ago, GoBigBlack said:

I was pulling hard for Arizona BIG time but let's not get it twisted, they weren't "fairly close to making the four team playoff.  They were #12 in the rankings and would not have made the 2 team playoff (Liberty would have gotten in).  I don't know who Arizona was missing but I do know ou had a good number of opt outs (like a lot of people).  Clearly Arnold wasn't quite ready for this kind of game.

Arizona looked good and should be proud of the win.  In this era of Bowl games, we should take the results with a grain of salt.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, pied said:

I was pulling hard for Arizona BIG time but let's not get it twisted, they weren't "fairly close to making the four team playoff.  They were #12 in the rankings and would not have made the 2 team playoff (Liberty would have gotten in).  I don't know who Arizona was missing but I do know ou had a good number of opt outs (like a lot of people).  Clearly Arnold wasn't quite ready for this kind of game.

Arizona looked good and should be proud of the win.  In this era of Bowl games, we should take the results with a grain of salt.

Fairly close as in they only lost two games by a couple field goals and would have had a rematch against a team they’d already beaten in the conference title game. I mean, close is a relative term. There are only four teams that get to make it, and Oklahoma wasn’t that far off. 

They were missing three offensive linemen and had to make some adjustments, but they weren’t plugging those spots with towel boys. And one of them was a part-time starter, anyway. You could certainly argue missing Dillon Gabriel was a factor, but this is Jackson Arnold, and the five-star had 15 or more practices with the first team this month. They all did. 

On defense they were missing one CB as far as I know. And they actually got surprise return announcements from their two best (I’m speculating) defenders in Stutsman and Bowman. Those two guys should have been prepping for the draft. All the Oklahoma fans were saying this was by far the healthiest the defense was all year. And again, the “best” defensive mind in college football also had a month to prepare with a full-strength defense and a roster of players that are so much more talented it’s not even comparable.

Maybe they were missing more I wasn’t aware of. But I don’t think so.

5 minutes ago, GoBigBlack said:

Fairly close as in they only lost two games by a couple field goals and would have had a rematch against a team they’d already beaten in the conference title game. I mean, close is a relative term. There are only four teams that get to make it, and Oklahoma wasn’t that far off. 

They were missing three offensive linemen and had to make some adjustments, but they weren’t plugging those spots with towel boys. And one of them was a part-time starter, anyway. You could certainly argue missing Dillon Gabriel was a factor, but this is Jackson Arnold, and the five-star had 15 or more practices with the first team this month. They all did. 

On defense they were missing one CB as far as I know. And they actually got surprise return announcements from their two best (I’m speculating) defenders in Stutsman and Bowman. Those two guys should have been prepping for the draft. All the Oklahoma fans were saying this was by far the healthiest the defense was all year. And again, the “best” defensive mind in college football also had a month to prepare with a full-strength defense and a roster of players that are so much more talented it’s not even comparable.

Maybe they were missing more I wasn’t aware of. But I don’t think so.

If that makes you feel better than cool.  Like I said I'm glad Arizona won!  

Have you heard anything about the Arizona DC, Johnny NAnsen leaving and filling the open Texas LB coaching vacancy?  Starting to make the rounds.

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, GoBigBlack said:

With their other QB playing on the road after throwing 4 picks and fumbling in the red zone they still took it to overtime. That was four months ago… they haven’t lost a game since triple overtime on the road at USC on October 7th. 

If Arizona played Miss St today they’d be a 20+ point favorite. Easily.

I agree Arizona would hammer state now. Just having fun.

2 hours ago, pied said:

Oklahoma is one program that takes these bowl games ( not counting playoffs ) half way serious and doesn't just not show up like other programs . OU usually plays well , so this was a good win for AU . GoBigBlack saw something early on with this team and has been right ever since

4 minutes ago, CaliNorth said:

Oklahoma is one program that takes these bowl games ( not counting playoffs ) half way serious and doesn't just not show up like other programs . OU usually plays well , so this was a good win for AU . GoBigBlack saw something early on with this team and has been right ever since

I agree that was a nice win.  

6 hours ago, HooverOutlaw said:

Like most think Alabama is much better than in early September. 

If they played a week after their conference championship games I would have taken Michigan. Give Nick Saban, Tommy Rees, and that coaching staff an entire month to prepare a team that already has a significant talent advantage over everyone not named Georgia, though… I think the tide roll.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GoBigBlack said:

If they played a week after their conference championship games I would have taken Michigan. Give Nick Saban, Tommy Rees, and that coaching staff an entire month to prepare a team that already has a significant talent advantage over everyone not named Georgia, though… I think the tide roll.

I hope so. SEC is looking bad so far worries me. We will see with Missouri and Ole Miss.

10 hours ago, pied said:

If that makes you feel better than cool.  Like I said I'm glad Arizona won!  

Have you heard anything about the Arizona DC, Johnny NAnsen leaving and filling the open Texas LB coaching vacancy?  Starting to make the rounds.

It doesn’t make me feel anything. I don’t have any ties to the program outside of the money I wager on them. Tacario Davis is an elite 6’4” cornerback who many are projecting as a first-round pick. The huge 62 yard run Sawchuk broke went right by his backup. And they completed a lot of easy balls that way, too. Going into tonight the two guys who played after he got hurt had a total of 14 tackles on the year. They looked lost. Davis going down was a huge hit.

A lot of that pressure came from the left side. They started a true freshman guard there. Jordan Morgan is also a first rounder and his presence at left tackle would have made a significant difference. Missing two first rounders, your best offensive and best defensive players, is a lot tougher on Arizona than Oklahoma. 

I haven’t heard about Nansen but that would make sense. I hope he sticks around but I’d love to see him run his defense with some Texas talent. 

9 minutes ago, GoBigBlack said:

It doesn’t make me feel anything. I don’t have any ties to the program outside of the money I wager on them. Tacario Davis is an elite 6’4” cornerback who many are projecting as a first-round pick. The huge 62 yard run Sawchuk broke went right by his backup. And they completed a lot of easy balls that way, too. Going into tonight the two guys who played after he got hurt had a total of 14 tackles on the year. They looked lost. Davis going down was a huge hit.

A lot of that pressure came from the left side. They started a true freshman guard there. Jordan Morgan is also a first rounder and his presence at left tackle would have made a significant difference. Missing two first rounders, your best offensive and best defensive players, is a lot tougher on Arizona than Oklahoma. 

I haven’t heard about Nansen but that would make sense. I hope he sticks around but I’d love to see him run his defense with some Texas talent. 

That makes this conversation more confusing.