West Monroe Had Some Kind Of 5A Run!

RedZone

I was there, it was a total beat down.  As you may know WM warms up on the practice field by the field house so the opposing team has the stadium all to themselves pregame.  All I can remember is their coach yelling "they scheduled you for  their Homecoming...  they scheduled you for their Homecoming, how does that make you feel?"  You could hear him all throughout the stadium.

I think he drove that point home...

Still doesn't diminish what we accomplished during our run but it did serve notice that the glory years were behind us

• Thanks 2

24 minutes ago, Reb72 said:

I was there, it was a total beat down.  As you may know WM warms up on the practice field by the field house so the opposing team has the stadium all to themselves pregame.  All I can remember is their coach yelling "they scheduled you for  their Homecoming...  they scheduled you for their Homecoming, how does that make you feel?"  You could hear him all throughout the stadium.

I think he drove that point home...

Still doesn't diminish what we accomplished during our run but it did serve notice that the glory years were behind us

AHD was led by Notre Dame commit RB Greg Bryant. He had a monster game against WM. Sadly he was killed a few years later but gun violence. 

• Sad 2

7 hours ago, RedZone said:

It's really hard to believe they have not won a State Championship since 2011.

Don Shows was a legend though. Pieces of 2 myth National Championships as well.

Screenshot_20240203-171827-856.png

Which team was better, Reb72? > 1998 or 2000?

......2000 West Monroe thumped Texas 5A State Champion Midland Lee pretty good.

4 hours ago, Reb72 said:

I was there, it was a total beat down.  

Little 1A 4-loss Calvary Baptist  (Shreveport) thumped West Monroe that year as well.

Did West Monroe head football coach Don Shows have his 1st heart attack that year or in 2011?  I know he had some severe health issues including suffering a concussion back then. I think he finally passed the following year or next, right?. 

He was a great coach!

RIP

• Like 1

8 hours ago, RedZone said:

Little 1A 4-loss Calvary Baptist  (Shreveport) thumped West Monroe that year as well.

Did West Monroe head football coach Don Shows have his 1st heart attack that year or in 2011?  I know he had some severe health issues including suffering a concussion back then. I think he finally passed the following year or next, right?. 

He was a great coach!

RIP

THUMPED!!! = West Monroe leading in the 4th quarter but ultimately losing by 11. THUMPED!!!

18 hours ago, RedZone said:

Which team was better, Reb72? > 1998 or 2000?

for me West Monroe's 1998 team was the best and it's not even close...

Bradie James, Rodney Reed, Andrew Whitworth, Jason Ledoux and Brian West all went on to play at LSU!

the numbers for this team were just absurd.  Of course they finished 15-0 but were also on a 35 game win streak.  They outscored their opponents 677-96, that's winning by an average score of 45-6.  They scored over 40 points in 11 of their 15 games, and over 50 in 4 of those while recording 7 shutouts.  They beat 3 OOS opponents that year, John Tyler (TX), Warren Central (MS) and Vicksburg (MS). They won their playoff games 52-0, 54-14, 49-6, and 35-0 before beating Ruston for the 2nd time that year in the Championship 32-14

1998 West Monroe Rebels

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Reb72 said:

for me West Monroe's 1998 team was the best and it's not even close...

Bradie James, Rodney Reed, Andrew Whitworth, Jason Ledoux and Brian West all went on to play at LSU!

the numbers for this team were just absurd.  Of course they finished 15-0 but were also on a 35 game win streak.  They outscored their opponents 677-96, that's winning by an average score of 45-6.  They scored over 40 points in 11 of their 15 games, and over 50 in 4 of those while recording 7 shutouts.  They beat 3 OOS opponents that year, John Tyler (TX), Warren Central (MS) and Vicksburg (MS). They won their playoff games 52-0, 54-14, 49-6, and 35-0 before beating Ruston for the 2nd time that year in the Championship 32-14

1998 West Monroe Rebels

.......2000 West Monroe beat 2 USA Today Top 25 teams which was really unheard of back then and they beat John Curtis which is a huge deal when another state does it.

That 1998 West Monroe team was impressive though. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, steeler01 said:

Screenshot_20240205_023726_Chrome.jpg

I was at Superdome for the 1999 5A State Championship between Evangel and West Monroe....me and 50,000 other people.

To this day I haven't seen a High School football atmosphere that equaled that> even on TV.

You see these huge crowds in Texas nowadays, but they are just not electric. It's like they are just there.

The Dome was buzzing, believe that.

West Monroe should have  won that game!!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, RedZone said:

I was at Superdome for the 1999 5A State Championship between Evangel and West Monroe....me and 50,000 other people.

To this day I haven't seen a High School football atmosphere that equaled that> even on TV.

You see these huge crowds in Texas nowadays, but they are just not electric. It's like they are just there.

The Dome was buzzing, believe that.

West Monroe should have  won that game!!

Evangel won their myth National Championship that year (1999)

There were more than 42,000 people there, but I guess we roll with that number. 

"Evangel Christian Academy was crowned 1999 National High School Football Champions by Fox Sports after a hard fought victory over West Monroe. The game was billed as the biggest in Louisiana history. West Monroe was also undefeated in the 5-A ranks and coached by Don Shows. It was amazing as 42,000 attended the game."

On 2/3/2024 at 5:28 PM, RedZone said:

It's really hard to believe they have not won a State Championship since 2011.

Don Shows was a legend though. Pieces of 2 myth National Championships as well.

Screenshot_20240203-171827-856.png

Crazy!

Byrnes, SC won their last State Championship in 2011 also.

Byrnes has 11 State Championships.

State Champs: 1976, 1982, 1986, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011

4 hours ago, RedZone said:

Crazy!

Byrnes, SC won their last State Championship in 2011 also.

Byrnes has 11 State Championships.

State Champs: 1976, 1982, 1986, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011

Back in the day of the forums we used to have 4 or 5 heavy duty Byrnes  posters. Man, those dudes pumped Byrnes.

Anyways, Byrnes had a great run much like West Monroe and were involved in one of the best ESPN OOS ever with STA, FL.

I might post the highlights of that one later.

The West Monroe Rebels and Byrnes Rebels still play quality football, but both are looking to get back to the promised land.