CIF Playoffs

DogPile

5 minutes ago, On2whls said:

LOL.  My thesis advisor’s wife had a PhD in English.  To her, presentation was tantamount to content.  Outside of academia though, I see a lot of sloppy grammar.  I’ve got an 18 year old daughter in the college application process, and her essays are, to me, horrific in the grammatical sense😣.  I blame the school system but that’s a whole other topic.

The internet has also AFFECTed the proper usage of grammar, to the EFFECT of further eroding the proper application of the English language in print. O.o xD

My lit classes taught me two totally different forms of writing. One for use as a novel or story for print like a newspaper or other publication, and then an entirely different style for the internet. I'm sure that a lot of people notice that I break up my longer posts into tiny paragraphs that aren't indented. Such was the style that I was taught to be correct for internet content. Supposedly easier to read. I can't say if it is or not, I just use that style, because I was taught to. 

I think it becomes even more important to break up paragraphs smaller for mobile phone users. 

I was taught a lot of stuff. Like where to put the most important content on a webpage etc., due to studies that tracked people's eye movements as they looked through web pages. Ever notice how ads are positioned in certain spots if you are viewing a webpage on a pc, or laptop? Yep, they studied and decided that those locations are where people tend to look more often and automatically. 

• Like 1

On 11/26/2017 at 5:49 PM, DogPile said:

As a Devil fan, it would be tough to look at, but it would be nice to see the top two or three teams from the South (MD, Bosco, Centennial, etc.) play in the SBGs.  It's just not right to have your second best team sitting home watching on TV.

Your playoffs are oie_2623457sKNRi4MN.jpg.4c2fb24f9cfddb0fda1cb53877da351b.jpg , just like your STATE!

12 hours ago, HawgGoneIt said:

The internet has also AFFECTed the proper usage of grammar, to the EFFECT of further eroding the proper application of the English language in print. O.o xD

My lit classes taught me two totally different forms of writing. One for use as a novel or story for print like a newspaper or other publication, and then an entirely different style for the internet. I'm sure that a lot of people notice that I break up my longer posts into tiny paragraphs that aren't indented. Such was the style that I was taught to be correct for internet content. Supposedly easier to read. I can't say if it is or not, I just use that style, because I was taught to. 

I think it becomes even more important to break up paragraphs smaller for mobile phone users. 

I was taught a lot of stuff. Like where to put the most important content on a webpage etc., due to studies that tracked people's eye movements as they looked through web pages. Ever notice how ads are positioned in certain spots if you are viewing a webpage on a pc, or laptop? Yep, they studied and decided that those locations are where people tend to look more often and automatically. 

Too bad they didn't teach you Left Wing whackos more about content, and the WORLD in general!

• Haha 1

How about if we get back to the topic of the thread instead of having it derailed. There is no need for the word 'Georgia' to be anywhere in this thread :D

So to the topic at hand....  Bosco has peaked beautifully in the playoffs and is playing their best ball of the season. MD has been at an extraordinary level all season so it is hard to say whether they have elevated their game in the playoffs. MD has more of a chip on their shoulder and I think MD wins a close one. I see the game being something like 35-28. 

Do we know the status of MD stud linebacker Tuliapopu (sp?)? He is their key run stopper and it would be a big loss for MD if he is out. I think they still win without them but maybe Bosco exploits their middle a bit more with him out (aka last year's championship game).

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, HawgGoneIt said:

@Bodysurf

You started it and totally effected the direction of the thread, which in turn affected the way some of us participated. 

:P

I new that my post would have this affect on people. But I wasn't sure weather people would get it or not. It isn't fare to judge people by there grammar. Some of us just don't write good.

• Haha 3

On 11/26/2017 at 10:26 PM, Ararar said:

Were you one of the parents who wrote a letter to Saco after the pummeling by DLS?

No, but I know who did.  Even though DLS thrashed Folsom two years in a row, I would have liked to have seen DLS/Folsom in 2014.  That was by far the strongest team Folsom had, and they stayed healthy.  We'll never know the outcome, but I think it would have been a great game. The real gripe was not the fact that DLS stood in the way of an Open SBG berth, instead it was that the second best team in the North had to sit out the D1 slot.  That is exactly the same point I'm making with the teams down South.  If you have 5 or 6 of the best teams in the State, four of them shouldn't sit home simply because there can be only one tean in the Open SBG.

On 11/27/2017 at 5:10 PM, On2whls said:

LOL.  My thesis advisor’s wife had a PhD in English.  To her, presentation was tantamount to content.  Outside of academia though, I see a lot of sloppy grammar.  I’ve got an 18 year old daughter in the college application process, and her essays are, to me, horrific in the grammatical sense😣.  I blame the school system but that’s a whole other topic.

Not to split hairs, but in the case in point, "to effect" is an infinitive phrase acting as a verb.  As to the school system, this is taught in the 7th grade at Folsom Middle School.

31 minutes ago, DogPile said:

No, but I know who did.  Even though DLS thrashed Folsom two years in a row, I would have liked to have seen DLS/Folsom in 2014.  That was by far the strongest team Folsom had, and they stayed healthy.  We'll never know the outcome, but I think it would have been a great game. The real gripe was not the fact that DLS stood in the way of an Open SBG berth, instead it was that the second best team in the North had to sit out the D1 slot.  That is exactly the same point I'm making with the teams down South.  If you have 5 or 6 of the best teams in the State, four of them shouldn't sit home simply because there can be only one tean in the Open SBG.

My point exactly as to why I have said any bowl game outside of the open is watered down and does not feature the best the state has to offer.  Sure we had our top 2 teams in the top 2 games  in 14, but SoCal definitely did not and that was a joke that Folsom got stuck playing Oceanside. They were way out of their league having to play Folsom. Total injustice to the kids at both schools. I would have loved to have seen Folsom and SJB battle it out in the D1 game. 

So Dogpile, do you see Folsom getting another team anywhere close to the caliber of the 14 team anytime soon?

19 hours ago, nascar624 said:

My point exactly as to why I have said any bowl game outside of the open is watered down and does not feature the best the state has to offer.  Sure we had our top 2 teams in the top 2 games  in 14, but SoCal definitely did not and that was a joke that Folsom got stuck playing Oceanside. They were way out of their league having to play Folsom. Total injustice to the kids at both schools. I would have loved to have seen Folsom and SJB battle it out in the D1 game. 

So Dogpile, do you see Folsom getting another team anywhere close to the caliber of the 14 team anytime soon?

They may field a team of that caliber next year.  They have a few stud juniors, but it is the sophomores that are impressive.  They're a group that has played together now for 5-6 years, won every youth football tournament they entered, and now have a few nice additions.  Last year's JV first team defense gave up 7 points all year, even though the four best players moved up to varsity as freshmen.  I see a problem developing at QB, however.  This year's starter, Kaiden Bennet (junior) is a super athlete and has thrown for 45 tds and 3400 yards this season.  In my opinion, the sophomore QB Jake Reithmier, is better - 6'3", great arm and can move.  His arm may be stronger than Browning's.  I don't know how they're both going to be kept happy next year.  Best player on the team is a junior, Joe Ngata, who was offered by USC as a freshman, now he has offers from just about every top 25 school in the country.

• Like 1