CIF Playoffs

DogPile

I'm trying to figure out SBG matchups, but I'm unclear how teams from the southern part of the state are selected.  Open looks to be DLS vs. winner of Mater Dei/Bosco, and the DI SBG should be the winner of St. Mary's/Folsom, but how will the other side of that matchup be selected?  And what's the deal with D1A and D1AA?  Does the AA team play for a participation trophy?  Can anybody comment on how this works?

1 minute ago, DogPile said:

I'm trying to figure out SBG matchups, but I'm unclear how teams from the southern part of the state are selected.  Open looks to be DLS vs. winner of Mater Dei/Bosco, and the DI SBG should be the winner of St. Mary's/Folsom, but how will the other side of that matchup be selected?  And what's the deal with D1A and D1AA?  Does the AA team play for a participation trophy?  Can anybody comment on how this works?

The south will match up Their Regional on competitive equity.Right now I would say 1AA would be Oaks Christian-Valencia winner vs the Mission Hills-Helix winner.1A will probably be Narbonne vs the SS D3 winner

1 hour ago, DogPile said:

Open looks to be DLS vs. winner of Mater Dei/Bosco

In my research I've found that the CIF Open Bowl is basically a bracket made up of a pool of 44 teams.

North

De La Salle

vs.

South

Winner of Southern Section D1 bracket made up teams from Trinity, Mission, Baseline, Moore, South Coast, Big VIII and Southwestern leagues.

It's the worst thing since the Russian gulags.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Guccifer said:

In my research I've found that the CIF Open Bowl is basically a bracket made up of a pool of 44 teams.

North

De La Salle

vs.

South

Winner of Southern Section D1 bracket made up teams from Trinity, Mission, Baseline, Moore, South Coast, Big VIII and Southwestern leagues.

It's the worst thing since the Russian gulags.

Maybe do a little more research.  The overwhelming majority of the population of So Ca is in a geographically small area from just North of LA to Southern Orange County and inland to Santa Clarita in the north, to San Bernadino in the south.  All the best leagues and teams come from within that area.  CIF will place teams from leagues other than what you mentioned, that do well, into the SS bracket but results haven’t been good.  Valencia has made the bracket a couple of times recently and gotten clobbered.  They are looking good in the D2 bracket this year and if they win might get moved up again.

From LA north to San Francisco, it is basically agriculture and there aren’t programs that can compete.   De LaSalle really stands alone unchallenged in the North.  Occasionally teams from the north test their mettle against southern section teams (this year St.Marys and Pittsburg) but the results haven’t been good there either.

The very strong influence of the private schools makes it hard to understand for outsiders.   Irvine for instance is a large 240,000 people, wealthy community that you would think could field a good team.  But with the entire Trinity league within driving distance, the best players hoping for visibility in top programs take the private route.

Lately the entire situation has been distorted since MD, SJB, Cen10 have created such separation, the rest of all of So Ca looks bad.

Instead of North v South, there should be a separate bracket for the privates.  DLS would probably be the only northern representative, but at least teams would compete on an apples to apples basis.  Publics cannot have open enrollment, and for the most part, teams are comprised of students within a small geographical area.  Folsom, for example, has two high schools in a town of less than 70,000.  Players do sometimes move into the community to play football, but it is relatively uncommon.  

3 hours ago, DogPile said:

Instead of North v South, there should be a separate bracket for the privates.  DLS would probably be the only northern representative, but at least teams would compete on an apples to apples basis.  Publics cannot have open enrollment, and for the most part, teams are comprised of students within a small geographical area.  Folsom, for example, has two high schools in a town of less than 70,000.  Players do sometimes move into the community to play football, but it is relatively uncommon.  

CIF currently doesn’t support separation.  Neither do the privates.  There’s not enough solidarity amongst public schools to effect a change.  The situation will remain the same except that the “arms race” is likely to accelerate and the privates will only get stronger.  It’s headed in that direction already.  If open enrollment was eliminated, NO public school would want to be in the D1 bracket, at least in the south section.

Were you one of the parents who wrote a letter to Saco after the pummeling by DLS?

• Like 1

So Cen10 will never have a chance to be the best team in California?🤔

11 hours ago, On2whls said:

CIF currently doesn’t support separation.  Neither do the privates.  There’s not enough solidarity amongst public schools to effect a change.  The situation will remain the same except that the “arms race” is likely to accelerate and the privates will only get stronger.  It’s headed in that direction already.  If open enrollment was eliminated, NO public school would want to be in the D1 bracket, at least in the south section.

Nice use of "effect" as a verb. 

• Haha 2

17 hours ago, On2whls said:

Maybe do a little more research. 

How dare you.

Not only did you imprudently question my research but you then proceeded to write long, ponderous paragraphs that didn't even address what you think I got wrong.

Don't bother. Guccifer knows what he didn't get anything wrong. He knows he nailed it.

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, On2whls said:

Effect can function as a noun or a verb.  Typically, in the biological sciences and engineering arenas, you see it used both ways.  

In my opinion, not correctly it can't. Affect is always a verb and effect is the result of an action. As far as I understand, it always has been. It is getting used both ways though. Their English teachers are probably freaking out though. 

Easy way to avoid the grammar police on this is just use the word impact. It truly can be used correctly as either a noun or a verb. 

Or remember Edgar Allen Poe and think of the RAVEN. 

Remember Affect Verb Effect Noun

My old English and Lit teachers are rolling around in their graves and channeling through me. I may need an exorcism to get them out now. Thanks a lot! xD

14 minutes ago, HawgGoneIt said:

In my opinion, not correctly it can't. Affect is always a verb and effect is the result of an action. As far as I understand, it always has been. It is getting used both ways though. Their English teachers are probably freaking out though. 

Look, this isn’t a matter of opinion.  On a daily basis, as part of my job, I review, and/or write protocols.  In the scientific community, medical journals etc. “effect” is commonly used in the verbal sense.  That was made clear to me long ago at grad school when I had to review research protocols and unwittingly made changes for which I was subsequently berated.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, On2whls said:

Look, this isn’t a matter of opinion.  On a daily basis, as part of my job, I review, and/or write protocols.  In the scientific community, medical journals etc. “effect” is commonly used in the verbal sense.  That was made clear to me long ago at grad school when I had to review research protocols and unwittingly made changes for which I was subsequently berated.

Ok. I never went to that grad school. Not sure what they're teaching over there. I'll have to take your word for it. 

I won't be correcting you for it. I can't speak for others like the ghosts and spirits of my English teachers though. I've been working on beating them back. 

I just chose to "pile on" in this instance. xD

Just now, HawgGoneIt said:

Ok. I never went to that grad school. Not sure what they're teaching over there. I'll have to take your word for it. 

I won't be correcting you for it. I can't speak for others like the ghosts and spirits of my English teachers though. I've been working on beating them back. 

I just chose to "pile on" in this instance. xD

LOL.  My thesis advisor’s wife had a PhD in English.  To her, presentation was tantamount to content.  Outside of academia though, I see a lot of sloppy grammar.  I’ve got an 18 year old daughter in the college application process, and her essays are, to me, horrific in the grammatical sense😣.  I blame the school system but that’s a whole other topic.

• Like 1

As an aside... I did find where there are instances that effect can be used as a verb, although considered uncommon and mainly used in technical terminology. Affect can also be used as a noun but mainly used in this manner by psychologists. 

I had to really dig and struggle through numerous links to finally find an English teacher's blog where they discussed this issue. The key words are uncommon usage.

I'll share the link and deem myself corrected. Ms. McCaskill has officially been exorcised from me!

http://crofsblogs.typepad.com/english/2005/08/effect_as_a_ver.html