Real reason Logan is a great coach

Ararar

9 hours ago, On2whls said:

First, why do you think he scheduled BG (2014) and IMG twice when on paper, Cen10 didn’t match up?

To beat them. CC’s offense gives them a chance against anybody. 

Second, he regularly “goes for it” on 4th down. In the second IMG game, he did it in the first qtr of a scoreless game, 4th and 8 from their own 29. He does it so often the team expects to execute and if they fail, the defense is expected to step up and give it their best shot. If they fail, then they get right back at it on the next possession

Logan believes the 4th down strategy gives the huskies the best chance to win. On many occasions I agree with going for it on 4th esp if passed your own 40-45 ish and it’s less than 2-3 yards esp with an offense that has ability to pick up short yardage effortlessly. 

Third, at the start of this season Cen10 lost 5 players in a regrettable (for the receiving school and players) transfer situation. One was a receiver they could have used badly, another a linebacker they could have used badly, and a third, 6’6” backup QB with a skill set very close to Tanner.  Rather than allow for what was happening with those players to destroy the team chemistry, he let them make their own decision.  (Two were actually dismissed from the team)

Transfers happen and I’m sure those kids would of helped but tanner was the straw that stirs the drink. Tanner is the one player you need to beat the IMG and sjb’s of the world. You can stay competitive against them and still possibly beat them with a backup LB playing or backup #3WR ... but tanner too important to lose and can’t win w/o him. 

In these days of win at all cost attitudes, it’s refreshing to see a coach who is guided by principle.  

I agree and I’m shocked Tanner didn’t play and it is refreshing .... but that still doesn’t take away the fact Logan didn’t make a mistake against IMG. Logan is an offensive innovator/mastermind call him what you want .... but when he went to bed that night he knew he made a mistake scoring so fast. 

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Mjd33 said:

I agree and I’m shocked Tanner didn’t play and it is refreshing .... but that still doesn’t take away the fact Logan didn’t make a mistake against IMG. Logan is an offensive innovator/mastermind call him what you want .... but when he went to bed that night he knew he made a mistake scoring so fast. 

You make some good points, but I don’t agree with your opinion on the decision.  Why were you shocked that Tanner didn’t play?

31 minutes ago, On2whls said:

You make some good points, but I don’t agree with your opinion on the decision.  Why were you shocked that Tanner didn’t play?

I just think MOST coaches in that spot coerce/convince their star player/doctor/parent of player to give it a go a week after...... Don’t know all the details of the injury/concussion but someone said on here the doctor cleared him to play. 

Most coaches want to win at all costs esp in playoff game like that with so much on the line. CC w tanner could of given MD problems. 

14 hours ago, On2whls said:

Here’s another thing that makes Logan a great coach.  In the 2016 game against IMG, Cen10 had a first and goal from the IMG three yard line with something like 1:16 left in the game.  He could have intentionally wasted time forcing IMG to use their timeouts and then scored leaving them almost no time to respond.  

Instead he chose to score immediately and put it on his defense to step up and get the needed stop. 

A lot of Centennial fans were confused and upset but Logan wouldn’t have been happy winning in a bit of a backhanded fashion.

He recognized that IMG had travelled a great distance and provided Centennial with a chance to play a great opponent.

As it turned out, they lost on a last second two point conversion, but the kids learned a valuable lesson that how you go about trying to achieve your goals, is as important as reaching the goal.

Lol. The lesson those kids learned was that they should have run the clock down.  The clock runs down and they win.  They didn't and they lost.  Most definitely a coaching mistake.  Your last paragraph makes no sense to me.  

39 minutes ago, World Citizen said:

Lol. The lesson those kids learned was that they should have run the clock down.  The clock runs down and they win.  They didn't and they lost.  Most definitely a coaching mistake.  Your last paragraph makes no sense to me.  

It makes no sense if you have a “win at all costs” mindset.  They learned that their defense needed to improve, which they worked on throughout the year.  IMG still had to travel the length of the field in a short period of time, and execute flawlessly, which they did.  

If you have kids and they have to read a book and write a report, would buy them the book, or the cliff notes?  They might get an A either way, but what prepares them better for the next time they have a similar assignment?

1 hour ago, On2whls said:

It makes no sense if you have a “win at all costs” mindset.  They learned that their defense needed to improve, which they worked on throughout the year.  IMG still had to travel the length of the field in a short period of time, and execute flawlessly, which they did.  

If you have kids and they have to read a book and write a report, would buy them the book, or the cliff notes?  They might get an A either way, but what prepares them better for the next time they have a similar assignment?

You guys will come up with every excuse imaginable.

They apparently didn't work in defense enough throughout the year, because they give up a shit ton of points the next time it mattered. It's unfortunate they didn't play more than one good team before their date with SJB the past two years.

A real coach would have just manned up and said he blew the end of the game with his clock management instead of fabricating some conspiracy on testing his defense.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, CCBlackhatter said:

A real coach would have just manned up and said he blew the end of the game with his clock management instead of fabricating some conspiracy on testing his defense.

Going for it on 4th down deep in your own half of the field frequently is testing his defense.  What part of that can’t you comprehend?

1 minute ago, On2whls said:

I forgot the part about not converting.  The defense quite often is put in tough position.

See that’s what you don’t understand .... Logan embraces a big 12 mentality in the sense he doesn’t really care how many points your team will score ... cause he believes his team will score even more. The Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Baylor (w Art Briles), Texas Tech’s of the world’s philosophy is let’s see if you can keep pace with our offense. Same w Logan. 

5 minutes ago, Mjd33 said:

See that’s what you don’t understand .... Logan embraces a big 12 mentality in the sense he doesn’t really care how many points your team will score ... cause he believes his team will score even more. The Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Baylor (w Art Briles), Texas Tech’s of the world’s philosophy is let’s see if you can keep pace with our offense. Same w Logan. 

I watch a lot of Oklahoma games and they rarely go for it on 4th down deep in their own territory.  It’s not the same.  There’s waaaay more on the line in college football.

2 hours ago, CCBlackhatter said:

To be fair, Logan would make a great offensive coordinator. Head coach? Not so much. I feel sorry for the number of players who's hopes for a championship were dashed because their HC doesn't understand clock management,

As they say, ignorance is bliss, so you must be one hell of a happy guy😉

20 hours ago, On2whls said:

Okay that’s fair but I’ll make a couple more points.

First, why do you think he scheduled BG (2014) and IMG twice when on paper, Cen10 didn’t match up?  Because you get better by playing better teams and become stronger by overcoming adversity. The OOL games mean far less in terms of wins, as compared to the inevitable playoff games against MD or SJB where there will be adversity to overcome.

Second, he regularly “goes for it” on 4th down. In the second IMG game, he did it in the first qtr of a scoreless game, 4th and 8 from their own 29. He does it so often the team expects to execute and if they fail, the defense is expected to step up and give it their best shot. If they fail, then they get right back at it on the next possession.

Third, at the start of this season Cen10 lost 5 players in a regrettable (for the receiving school and players) transfer situation. One was a receiver they could have used badly, another a linebacker they could have used badly, and a third, 6’6” backup QB with a skill set very close to Tanner.  Rather than allow for what was happening with those players to destroy the team chemistry, he let them make their own decision.  (Two were actually dismissed from the team)

In these days of win at all cost attitudes, it’s refreshing to see a coach who is guided by principle.  

This may not change your mind about what you consider a bad coaching decision, but there are a lot of Centennial supporters that think otherwise.

What year was he at MD? Trying to figure out if he was at MD my freshmen year...it’s bee 20 years so I don’t remember all the position coaches 

Just now, CCBlackhatter said:

You sir are the only member of this board that is willfully ignorant to these facts.

Look, I know you’ll show up to any post that has to do with Cen10 to needle me, and that’s fine.  You seriously believe Logan is not a good coach, and worthy only of OC status?   If so, I think a lot of people will question your football accumen.

10 minutes ago, On2whls said:

Look, I know you’ll show up to any post that has to do with Cen10 to needle me, and that’s fine.  You seriously believe Logan is not a good coach, and worthy only of OC status?   If so, I think a lot of people will question your football accumen.

Absolutely. He has a great offensive mind and has a great scheme. A great head coach would assemble a staff capable of putting a defense in the field that could stop my Grandma. He would know how to manage the game clock, field position, etc. He would also build a feeder system that doesn't require him to rely on transfers while also generating community support and funding so they can leave a 10 SQ mile area, and all of the other things that the best head coaches do.

3 minutes ago, CCBlackhatter said:

Absolutely. He has a great offensive mind and has a great scheme. A great head coach would assemble a staff capable of putting a defense in the field that could stop my Grandma. We would know how to manage the game clock, field position, etc. He would also build a feeder system that doesn't require him to rely on transfers, generate community support and funding so they can leave a 10 SQ mile area, and all of the other things that the best head coaches do.

There are a lot of factors that make it impossible to accomplish what you describe for a public school in SO CA, and be successful.  Corona Chargers is the feeder system in this area and they lose players to other schools. There are no rules in place to stop that.  Cen10 also loses coordinators to other programs due to their success at Cen10.  Players can move about pretty freely to the privates, and to some extent other publics.  If you think your kid has D1 potential but isn’t likely to start, see ya later.  Without question, a much higher premium is placed on offense out here than on defense.  

Communities are not nearly as close here as in more rural areas.  On my street alone, there’s about 60% turnover over the past 5 year’s. We lost a family on our street to BG because one of the sons was a receiver at the same time when Cen10 had better receivers than now, and he wouldn’t get to start 3 or more years.  Sell your house for big profit, move to much cheaper area (Vegas) pay cash for new house and your kid gets to play at elite level.  Hard to overcome that.  You can’t build community support with so many people coming and going.

Sadly, there just isn’t the same local concern for hs football here than in most other places. 

Given all that, Logan has done a pretty good job.  Without Logan and his success, we would lose a lot more players.

BTW,  the D could stop your grandma, but maybe Etiwanda couldn’t.