It’s Masters Week

hardhit1

41 minutes ago, hardhit1 said:

This is my first time.

been to 3 US Opens and 1 Ryder Cup so looking forward to this one

It's going to be like nothing you've ever been too. The US Open is very cool, and the Ryder Cup with the patriotism is awesome but when you step foot inside the gates at Augusta, you are on hallowed ground. It's a whole different feeling. Enjoy it to the fullest.  

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

This years Masters is really intriguing. So many top players are playing good that the anticipation is pretty exciting. 

I like Phil's chances, he is putting so well this year and that is what you really need to do there. And being a lefty helps because the course favors a right to left ball flight. So the other big lefty Bubba, has a great shot as well. Tiger can finish top 5-10 but I don't think he's there just yet to win it all. His driver is still a little shaky and even though Augusta does not really have any rough you can miss a fairway & end up with a bad lie in the pine straw next to a tree or worst yet in a creek. Spieth is starting to peak and if he can putt like he used too look for him to be there on Sunday afternoon. If Rory has a hot week putting (like he did at Bay Hill) he could run away with it. DJ on the other hand should be the favorite but something tells me his game is not there this year. Star players that I don't think will win are  Rahm-he's just a little to emotional, Sergio-so hard to repeat at Augusta, Thomas-couldn't break 70 last year, course doesn't set up well for him. Matsuyama putting issues. Same with Fowler. Hopefully it will come down to the back nine on Sunday afternoon.    

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AztecPadre said:

The first major of the year.  Tough to say who wins.  I know who I do want to win and that's Tiger.  Dude has been through hell ever since the night his now ex wife put a golf club through his windshield.  Here's hoping one the greatest golfers ever, to start his comeback to dominance. 

"Hello friends"...  I'd like to see lefty get another major and green jacket.   

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, legendsofthefall said:

Tiger hasn't won a major in a decade (yes 10 years) and yet he is still the most talked about golfer there is. Career achievement award he wins.

One of the best players in the sport currently? Not even close and hasn't been for many years now. 

"One of the best players in the sport currently? Not even close and hasn't been for many years now."

I agree, he moves the needle more than any other player out there. He will be the most talked about player before and during the tournament by far. Can he win? The odds makers in Vegas think so and it's their job to know. Overall he may not be one of the best players but at Augusta he is one of the best players. That course suits him and he has great history there. I personally don't think he will win but I would not be too surprised if he did and a top 5 finish is very realistic..   

• Like 3

1 hour ago, legendsofthefall said:

Tiger hasn't won a major in a decade (yes 10 years) and yet he is still the most talked about golfer there is. Career achievement award he wins.

One of the best players in the sport currently? Not even close and hasn't been for many years now. 

No not currently, but hoping he gets back his form. Met him a couple times at pebble. That dude brings crowds. Especially when he was dominating. Let's face it, for most it made golf fun to follow when he was on top. The shots he hit were amazing. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, AztecPadre said:

Big fan of Mickelson too. Just grips and tips. Rarely lays up. Love that.

Sometimes a WTF we're all thinking though in the past... him too I'm sure (a little bit of Roy McEvoy).  But he seems like a very cool guy and family man.  He's always smiling, likes to gamble, has a pilots license and seems to be as big a sports addict as me :).   Is Vijay in the field?  I'd root for him if he's in contention.  That might surprise some, but as athletes age I tend to favor their efforts a little more than the youngsters, especially if in contention on the back 9 on Sunday.  

3 minutes ago, golfaddict1 said:

Sometimes a WTF we're all thinking though in the past... him too I'm sure (a little bit of Roy McEvoy).  But he seems like a very cool guy and family man.  He's always smiling, likes to gamble, has a pilots license and seems to be as big a sports addict as me :).   Is Vijay in the field?  I'd root for him if he's in contention.  That might surprise some, but as athletes age I tend to favor their efforts a little more than the youngsters, especially if in contention on the back 9 on Sunday.  

Vijay, is in the field he has a lifetime exemption. I to root for the older guys. Would like to see Freddie in contention. Langer not so much. I have issues with him using the long putter. I still think he anchors it. Now you can put Phil in that veteran category as well. Funny thing about Phil his go for broke style is very calculated in his head. 

2 minutes ago, 1DayPGA said:

Vijay, is in the field he has a lifetime exemption. I to root for the older guys. Would like to see Freddie in contention. Langer not so much. I have issues with him using the long putter. I still think he anchors it. Now you can put Phil in that veteran category as well. Funny thing about Phil his go for broke style is very calculated in his head. 

Oh good to hear about Vijay... Couples I believe is out this year.   I wasn't sure if Vijay was competing recently (I can't watch all sports lol, senior tour I don't follow anymore).  

5 minutes ago, golfaddict1 said:

Oh good to hear about Vijay... Couples I believe is out this year.   I wasn't sure if Vijay was competing recently (I can't watch all sports lol, senior tour I don't follow anymore).  

5 minutes ago, golfaddict1 said:

4 hours ago, hardhit1 said:

This is my first time.

been to 3 US Opens and 1 Ryder Cup so looking forward to this one

First stop should be the Golf shop.  People hoard all the good stuff early.  Right next to the golf shop is a UPS place where you can take your swag and have it shipped home.  They also provide lockers for you to store a jacket or rain gear in.

Second stop is go to your favorite hole and put your chair down to reserve your seat.  That way you can walk around the course and follow individual golfers awhile, then get to your seat to watch the  leaders come through.  My favorite hole was #15.  One year I brought 3 chairs and put them on #2 (Eagle hole). #15 (Eagle hole) and #18.   If you had to pick one, I'd get to #15.

Be sure to order those homemade turkey or Palmetto sandwiches for $3. and a beer $3.50.  People go through the beer line, and grab a beer and drink it in line then grab another one and check out.

Be sure to bring some grass home from Amen corner

• Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, golfaddict1 said:

Vijay Singh?  Isn't he playing on the champions tour or retired by now? LOL.  Loved Tin Cup.  Best scene when he says nice par. LOL.  

• Haha 1

50 minutes ago, Sammyswordsman said:

First stop should be the Golf shop.  People hoard all the good stuff early.  Right next to the golf shop is a UPS place where you can take your swag and have it shipped home.  They also provide lockers for you to store a jacket or rain gear in.

Second stop is go to your favorite hole and put your chair down to reserve your seat.  That way you can walk around the course and follow individual golfers awhile, then get to your seat to watch the  leaders come through.  My favorite hole was #15.  One year I brought 3 chairs and put them on #2 (Eagle hole). #15 (Eagle hole) and #18.   If you had to pick one, I'd get to #15.

Be sure to order those homemade turkey or Palmetto sandwiches for $3. and a beer $3.50.  People go through the beer line, and grab a beer and drink it in line then grab another one and check out.

Be sure to bring some grass home from Amen corner

Thanks Sammy.

i knew about the merchandise and had the beer thing already figured out in my head LOL

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, golfaddict1 said:

As of Friday, Freddie was going to show up and give it a go. He said he hasn't played a round since Jan. been battling back problems. (Again) Have not heard anything different in the last couple days. Heard him on golf radio and he is dying to be out there.  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, AztecPadre said:

Vijay Singh?  Isn't he playing on the champions tour or retired by now? LOL.  Loved Tin Cup.  Best scene when he says nice par. LOL.  

Yes, Vijay is on the Champions tour. He is a very nice gentleman. A friend of mine played was paired with Vijay at the US open at Pebble and said that Vijay was about the nicest guy he's ever played with.

Btw, any past winner of the Masters is exempt for life. Although awhile back they have tightened the rules. What was happening  some of the old timers were showing up playing 1 hole and then withdrawing so they could collect their prize money.  Now the committee  has encouraged former players if they are not competitive to not play and they will still give them their prize money and are still invited to the exclusive Champions dinner. 

12 minutes ago, 1DayPGA said:

As of Friday, Freddie was going to show up and give it a go. He said he hasn't played a round since Jan. been battling back problems. (Again) Have not heard anything different in the last couple days. Heard him on golf radio and he is dying to be out there.  

Indeed he's giving it a go, my mistake and happy about that.  I certainly will root for Freddie before Vijay lol.   Couples has such a smooth tempo and still cranks the driver out there pretty good I hope.   He just needs to take 5 hour energy drinks on the weekend especially.  :) 

• Like 1