Calpreps has an interesting Texas Preseason Top 10

RedZone

http://calpreps.com/2018/ratings/Texas_all.htm

#3-TAPP school

#4-3A school

#5-TAPP school

#6-TAPP school

#7-4A school

1 Allen (TX)   team preview   trend Texas 6A Region II District 9 6A 0-0 0-0 0-0 73.2 0 0-0
WINS: none, LOSSES: none

2 Aledo (TX)   team preview   trend Texas 5A-2 Region II District 5 5A-2 0-0 0-0 0-0 63.6 0 0-0

3 St. Pius X (Houston, TX)   team preview   trend Texas TAPPS Division I District 3 TAPPS I 0-0 0-0 0-0 62.8 0 0-0

4 Newton (TX)   team preview   trend Texas 3A-2 Region III District 12 3A-2 0-0 0-0 0-0 60.3 0 0-0

5 Trinity Christian (Cedar Hill, TX)   team preview   trend Texas TAPPS Division II District 2 TAPPS II 0-0 0-0 0-0 57.9 0 0-0

6 Bishop Dunne (Dallas, TX)   team preview   trend Texas TAPPS Division I District 2 TAPPS I 0-0 0-0 0-0 55.9 0 0-0

7 Carthage (TX)   team preview   trend Texas 4A-1 Region III District 10 4A-1 0-0 0-0 0-0 54.4 0 0-0

8 Carroll (Southlake, TX)   team preview   trend Texas 6A Region I District 5 6A 0-0 0-0 0-0 53.3 0 0-0

9 Westlake (Austin, TX)   team preview   trend Texas 6A Region IV District 25 6A 0-0 0-0 0-0 52.9 0 0-0

10 Katy (TX)   team preview   trend Texas 6A Region III District 19 6A 0-0 0-0 0-0 51.4 0 0-0

12 minutes ago, Nolebull813 said:

Number 5 Texas, #24 nationally Trinity Christian turned down playing 74th ranked Florida #713 nationally Godby so they can play 370th ranked Florida, #7,035th nationally FAMU High

what. the. actual. fuck. 

I helpa dees won. ?You no lika?   I teel Meester #24 dat ISB heee no available.

58 minutes ago, Consuela said:

I helpa dees won. ?You no lika?   I teel Meester #24 dat ISB heee no available.

It's ok Sammy I understand some of these matchups. Coaches don't care about 40 points ass stompings. There are other factors involved that are the decisions of the teams playing. But it still is always amazing that they still schedule such mismatches

8 hours ago, Horsefly said:

These are so terrible, I’m not even going to spend time correcting it. 

2017 state title winners get that boost plus a playoffs boost in some cases which aids lower class state finalists and winners vs better schools in higher class divisions would be my guess... that and 9 of the 10 teams haven’t submitted roster data can’t help either.   Katy is first to report at 9th  (6 returning starters total and CP has a reload factor for Katy).  If I’m not mistaken, Longview also reported data before I stopped looking at 11th.  

Add or subtract D1’s and that’s June, unless Freeman is using team entered data from MaxPreps... and even if it’s accurate, it’s artificially inflated based on D1 talent of rosters more than actual team play because well...  it’s fucking June!   :) 

Even supporters of Calpreps request at least wait until October and in some cases a true rating doesn’t come into effect until November (boldfaced games rated by CP).  

Like it or not, Captain Kirk is in command not Spock.  Local followers should know the teams in play and hopefully this can be part of the forum poll’s ranking system for 2018.  Local picks, regional vote, submitted to national forum discussion w national vote.   I’ll take that over any algorithm or one indivdual’s opinion.  

Never too early to start setting this up :) 

46 minutes ago, golfaddict1 said:

Even supporters of Calpreps request at least wait until October and in some cases a true rating doesn’t come into effect until November (boldfaced games rated by CP).  

I don't even put out a poll until most of the teams have a couple games under their belts. Preseason polls are a crapshoot, especially for high school football. 

27 minutes ago, Omaha Vol said:

Well, yes and no. At least in the regular season we have a little better of a grasp on what each team is all about. 

Sure, If every team played the exact same teams from the exact same states......they don't.

You have to start somewhere based on coaching, returning starters and returning talent, and etc (could be whatever you like)

My Louisiana Preseason Top 20 will be just that and if I'm way off that's on me. Probably shouldn't be doing polls if I'm that far off.

6 hours ago, golfaddict1 said:

2017 state title winners get that boost plus a playoffs boost in some cases which aids lower class state finalists and winners vs better schools in higher class divisions would be my guess... that and 9 of the 10 teams haven’t submitted roster data can’t help either.   Katy is first to report at 9th  (6 returning starters total and CP has a reload factor for Katy).  If I’m not mistaken, Longview also reported data before I stopped looking at 11th.  

Add or subtract D1’s and that’s June, unless Freeman is using team entered data from MaxPreps... and even if it’s accurate, it’s artificially inflated based on D1 talent of rosters more than actual team play because well...  it’s fucking June!   :) 

Like it or not, Captain Kirk is in command not Spock.  Local followers should know the teams in play and hopefully this can be part of the forum poll’s ranking system for 2018.  Local picks, regional vote, submitted to national forum discussion w national vote.   I’ll take that over any algorithm or one indivdual’s opinion.  

Never too early to start setting this up :) 

Most of them still don't understand it.

They say wait til October for a couple reasons ... Because they are so ridiculous before that, people make fun of them... Although they are fairly ridiculous the whole time .... And because it doesnt pick games til October 1, when 98% of the OOS games are over, so it cant get them wrong.. Its much, much easier for a computer to pick instate games since theres actually connecting data instate.... And because Ned says they become legit starting in October, yet most dont even understand why...

Reality is this --- CalPreps is a piss poor National Ranking system, BUT its pretty cool that it ranks all 14,500+ teams nationally... It has all the teams & their results at the click of a button. But these states cannot be scaled together accurately. The only half-way legit use of CalPreps are State Rankings. Or really, just Class/Division rankings...

Like Georgia 7A, all those teams are likely connected directly & indirectly...for example, Hillgrove plays McEachern who plays Colquitt who plays Grayson who plays Marietta who plays Hillgrove... If you have enough inter-connected webs like that, the rankings/ratings become stronger & stronger... But it doesnt work that way with ranking 1 states teams against another states teams , because the connectivity is either nonexistant or extremely weak, so weak it doesnt change the rankings either way... And if its so weak it has no effect on another teams rankings, then its not scaling together.

Anyway, Ill say this... Ned is atleast TRYING to improve his state scaling... He integrated state scaling by way of OOS games, as shown by his link explaining State scaling... Its clearly shown him that Georgia was undervalued as theyve been going up year after year., just not enough yet ... As was Florida at one point a few years back, but theyve raised Florida enough. 

Theyve also overvalued Texas' smaller classes. As youll notice their smaller class schools are overtaking their large class schools, and thats not realistic.

California, surprisingly specifically NorCal is extremely overvalued. Ohio, Arkansas, etc, are also overvalued.

Arizona is a state thats been rising, and rightfully so according to my data from last season.

Its an interesting and complex topic.

2 minutes ago, ECHS05 said:

Most of them still don't understand it.

They say wait til October for a couple reasons ... Because they are so ridiculous before that, people make fun of them... Although they are fairly ridiculous the whole time .... And because it doesnt pick games til October 1, when 98% of the OOS games are over, so it cant get them wrong.. Its much, much easier for a computer to pick instate games since theres actually connecting data instate.... And because Ned says they become legit starting in October, yet most dont even understand why...

Reality is this --- CalPreps is a piss poor National Ranking system, BUT its pretty cool that it ranks all 14,500+ teams nationally... It has all the teams & their results at the click of a button. But these states cannot be scaled together accurately. The only half-way legit use of CalPreps are State Rankings. Or really, just Class/Division rankings...

Like Georgia 7A, all those teams are likely connected directly & indirectly...for example, Hillgrove plays McEachern who plays Colquitt who plays Grayson who plays Marietta who plays Hillgrove... If you have enough inter-connected webs like that, the rankings/ratings become stronger & stronger... But it doesnt work that way with ranking 1 states teams against another states teams , because the connectivity is either nonexistant or extremely weak, so weak it doesnt change the rankings either way... And if its so weak it has no effect on another teams rankings, then its not scaling together.

Anyway, Ill say this... Ned is atleast TRYING to improve his state scaling... He integrated state scaling by way of OOS games, as shown by his link explaining State scaling... Its clearly shown him that Georgia was undervalued as theyve been going up year after year., just not enough yet ... As was Florida at one point a few years back, but theyve raised Florida enough. 

Theyve also overvalued Texas' smaller classes. As youll notice their smaller class schools are overtaking their large class schools, and thats not realistic.

California, surprisingly specifically NorCal is extremely overvalued. Ohio, Arkansas, etc, are also overvalued.

Arizona is a state thats been rising, and rightfully so according to my data from last season.

Its an interesting and complex topic.

Which state we talking? 

Because the current rankings for FL on calpreps look like a monkey wrote them up