Top 10 glaring mistakes in JF Top 100

Sammyswordsman

https://www.masseyratings.com/theory/massey97.pdf

Page One from Ken Massey, 

At this point, it is appropriate to discuss some terminology. First we make the distinction between a rating and a ranking. A ranking refers only to the ordering of the teams (first, second, third, ...). However, a rating comes from a continuous scale such that the relative strength of a team is directly reflected in the value of its rating (Stern 1995). Hence it is possible to determine the actual separation in ability for teams that may be adjacent in the rankings. A rating system assigns each team a single numerical value to represent that team’s strength relative to the rest of the league on some predetermined scale. 

1 minute ago, ECHS05 said:

Haha ... It was important enough for him to create a new page called "State Scaling" on his website (after I spoke on it for years)... Explaining what it means, and how he tried to add it.

Idiot.

I guess he felt there were people out there that didn’t already know that 

1 hour ago, golfaddict1 said:

https://www.masseyratings.com/theory/massey97.pdf

Page One from Ken Massey, 

At this point, it is appropriate to discuss some terminology. First we make the distinction between a rating and a ranking. A ranking refers only to the ordering of the teams (first, second, third, ...). However, a rating comes from a continuous scale such that the relative strength of a team is directly reflected in the value of its rating (Stern 1995). Hence it is possible to determine the actual separation in ability for teams that may be adjacent in the rankings. A rating system assigns each team a single numerical value to represent that team’s strength relative to the rest of the league on some predetermined scale. 

I fail to see the relevance for it being a point worthy for you, much less to use 36 point font 

wouldnt any algorithm, by definition, use a predetmined scale?

1 hour ago, Wosinc said:

I appreciate that you get exasperated, but it’s unnecesary postscripts like this that put you in the Canes/los Hurricanés/Carlos Danger/LOSer/Guccifer/Goldmember/and now Guccifer again category.

That is: not to be taken seriously.

It’s solid enough to state your case and let the facts make your arguement.

You don’t need gratuitous insults.

That might be true if I called everyone an Idiot.

I dont.

If you go back through my last 1000 posts.... 99% of insults like that are to Pops and Pops only. The guy simply doesnt deserve, not has he earned, respect. He lies and exaggerates nonstop... 

4 minutes ago, Pops said:

I fail to see the relevance for it being a point worthy for you, much less to use 36 point font 

Seriously ...

You are lost.

Its like watching 2 retards try to play chess.

1 hour ago, golfaddict1 said:

Thus, when a national scale is used... a predetermined state scale is used folks.   It's not the bogeyman, it's reality.  

Seems like echs and you feel there’s been a smoking gun exposed

i feel like you guys just discovered that algorithms have formulas and are screaming “AHA!!!” 

Seems like it’s called math, and was self apparent to everyone already 

1 minute ago, Pops said:

Seems like echs and you feel there’s been a smoking gun exposed

i feel like you guys just discovered that algorithms have formulas and are screaming “AHA!!!” 

Seems like it’s called math, and was self apparent to everyone already 

Seems like I forgot that @15yds4gibberishis my go to person for a quality discussion on the Freeman Ratings.   My mistake.  Yup all through the years you were right there with astute comments about the workings of Freeman.  Echs and I were off base lol.  

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Pops said:

I see, now you are an expert on Algorithms... where was your outspoken stance on state scaling prior when Echs was receiving ridicule? 

6 minutes ago, ECHS05 said:

Seriously ...

You are lost.

Its like watching 2 retards try to play chess.

How bout we do an IQ test for money?

are you good for it?

Heck, I’d be willing to do loser takes a pemaband if you want me gone that much 

8 minutes ago, golfaddict1 said:

Seems like I forgot that @15yds4gibberishis my go to person for a quality discussion on the Freeman Ratings.   My mistake.  Yup all through the years you were right there with astute comments about the workings of Freeman.  Echs and I were off base lol.  

You seem upset that I’m not crediting you with the discovery of water 

6 minutes ago, golfaddict1 said:

I see, now you are an expert on Algorithms... where was your outspoken stance on state scaling prior when Echs was receiving ridicule? 

Echs was presenting flawed statistical analysis (for lots of reasons) — many of us for a long time pointed out flaws and he ignored us all until you got to your aha moment that apparently impressed you two more than the rest of us 

Eeveryone stopped reading his epistles years ago — they were a waste of time and the comedy value of them declined due to overexposure 

Human bias never leaves the building with algorithms.  Not October, Not December.  

Massey even uses a 2 year rolling data set point for scaling states.  How accurate will that be... two separate years combined used for the sole purpose of adding still a limited correlation of OOS games results to set a state scale rating system.  He used 2 years because one year was too few games.  Freeman uses one year, so less data and one game in state can essentially determine a state scale adjustment?    The majority of the ratings are based on in-state games  and certainly in-state playoff boosts.   

The more OOS opponents, the more unchained the school is to being rated based on a majority of in-state scaled numbers (most in state teams don’t play OOS).  

7 hours ago, Sammyswordsman said:

1. Three BNU teams ranked in Top 50.

2. Nine (9) Ga teams ranked

3.  #24

I defer to the peanut gallery for the balance.  Shouldn't need my help

HEY DUMB DUMB Sambo, THIS was actually a disappointment to ME! In 2015, we had four of the TOP FORTY, and they were ALL in the GHSA big school semis! And six of the top seventy five! CONVERSELY, having two Cali clowns in the top FOUR is a FARCE! If it weren't for massive transfers, you clown ass Left Wing whackados would be TOTALLY IRRELEVANT! But it all goes back to the mindset that you girls have ALWAYS possessed! That of thinking that EVERYTING in Cali is the BEST there IS! HELL in REALITY, you buffoons are too stupid to even purify your own water supply! You may go back and place your hayd up your ass once again!

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, golfaddict1 said:

Human bias never leaves the building with algorithms.  Not October, Not December.  

Massey even uses a 2 year rolling data set point for scaling states.  How accurate will that be... two separate years combined used for the sole purpose of adding still a limited correlation of OOS games results to set a state scale rating system.  He used 2 years because one year was too few games.  Freeman uses one year, so less data and one game in state can essentially determine a state scale adjustment?    The majority of the ratings are based on in-state games  and certainly in-state playoff boosts.   

The more OOS opponents, the more unchained the school is to being rated based on a majority of in-state scaled numbers (most in state teams don’t play OOS).  

On point.

51 minutes ago, Pops said:

Echs was presenting flawed statistical analysis (for lots of reasons) — many of us for a long time pointed out flaws and he ignored us all until you got to your aha moment that apparently impressed you two more than the rest of us 

Eeveryone stopped reading his epistles years ago — they were a waste of time and the comedy value of them declined due to overexposure 

Go back and read the "aha" thread.

Most people got it.

You still downplay it because you were made to look stupid.

You still think YOU saying its flawed, makes it flawed. 

Except EVERY THING I said, lined up with what Ned Freeman himself said. Give it up Pops. Youre a fool.

Every single solitary sentence you type is a LIE. You are either a sociopath, or a hibitual liar. You constantly use the word EVERYONE to make your stance sound more credible than it is... Its not fooling anyone. Somebody with actual confidence in what their saying doesnt need to lump "everyone"s opinion on their side to justify themselves.... Especially when its a straight up lie.

7 hours ago, Pops said:

I just believe that #3 is too high

i think there’s about 5 teams that clearly ought to be ranked higher and Grayson can be anywhere in the 6-15 range 

I know Grayson has athletes but they always do and sondoes Stephenson for that matter — you yourself have expressed a lot of reservations about the quality of the coaching staff 

further, I know most of you GA guys support the non-metro teams more, but no one in GA seems overly excited or impressed by Grayson — #3 would be as high of a finish for a GA team in last decade — is this Grayson team THAT team?  Seems like none of you guys think so

MD, SJB, IMG on a different level;  STA seems like they should be in this group every year; BG, SJC....

If Grayson  really is the #3 team I would think they’d be a stronger consensus #1 in GA because I’m fairly confident GA doesn’t have more than one team on Tier One 

Agree with a lot of this 

30 minutes ago, golfaddict1 said:

ACTUALLY, algorithms are FAR more accurate than HUMANS, who play to their BASE! How ELSE do you quantify having top twenty five powers from clown states like MEEECHIGAN, Color RADO, Indiana, NEW Jersey, and the like! And 20% of the entire top 100, from FRICKIN TEXAS, who has the SAME four or five big schools in the mix EVERY season! DITTO for Californication! Computer offerings take into account dozens of aspects of a given team! While humans rely upon hearsay and how purdy a team is on the hoof! There are BUNCHES of PURDY teams in the Colquitt County Packer cemetery!

As an aside, combining two years in succession for Georgia would REALLY be a mistake! Since the bad asses of THIS season, were JUNIOR dominated in 2017! And Texas plays virtually NO meaningful OOS competition, EVER!