Trump calling out Germany for their Russian ties

Bormio

Totally off topic but I am a huge Bayern Munich fan and have been fortunate to see them play several times at home, in the Allianz arena in Munich.

Having said this, in Germany there is an incredible futbal stadium in...Dortmund, the Signal Iduna arena. It holds 80,000+ with more than 20,000 standing, cramped shoulder to shoulder, in an end zone which are the home stands for Dortmund.

Unbelievable experience.  Only experience I can compare it to would be Pittsburgh’s Three Rivers when Terry Bradshaw still played or Baltimore’s Old Memorial stadium and Johnny Unitas.  Dortmund is a similarly industrial, factory town (Pittsburgh and Baltimore in the ‘70’s) and they are obsessed with Dortmund-they live and die with the team.

Before a home game three or four thousand fans march, 50 wide, down a street to the stadium. Wave after wave of full throated fans threatening everyone in their way.  They march into stands, standing shoulder to shoulder, bellowing and daring for several hours anyone who would deny Dortmund.

There are places in the world to go for beauty and for character.  Dortmund’s Signal Iduna arena is neither.  It is for thousands of Trump like fans who, with lungs and bellicosity, own the stands and the city around them.

Trump must be a Dortmund Fan.

That most of NATO has been sponging off American defense spending for decades is not really debatable.

That self-righteous, self-serving "allies" run trade imbalances with us while putting themselves at risk through energy dependence on Putin's Russia is galling.

That the trade imbalance could be righted to a degree through buying gas from the ally that protects their asses - and that they indignantly spit in our faces at the very idea - frankly calls into question just what kind of allies they are.

WO-AW916_NATOSP_9U_20150622175709.jpg

2 hours ago, BigDrop said:

Totally off topic but I am a huge Bayern Munich fan and have been fortunate to see them play several times at home, in the Allianz arena in Munich.

Having said this, in Germany there is an incredible futbal stadium in...Dortmund, the Signal Iduna arena. It holds 80,000+ with more than 20,000 standing, cramped shoulder to shoulder, in an end zone which are the home stands for Dortmund.

Unbelievable experience.  Only experience I can compare it to would be Pittsburgh’s Three Rivers when Terry Bradshaw still played or Baltimore’s Old Memorial stadium and Johnny Unitas.  Dortmund is a similarly industrial, factory town (Pittsburgh and Baltimore in the ‘70’s) and they are obsessed with Dortmund-they live and die with the team.

Before a home game three or four thousand fans march, 50 wide, down a street to the stadium. Wave after wave of full throated fans threatening everyone in their way.  They march into stands, standing shoulder to shoulder, bellowing and daring for several hours anyone who would deny Dortmund.

There are places in the world to go for beauty and for character.  Dortmund’s Signal Iduna arena is neither.  It is for thousands of Trump like fans who, with lungs and bellicosity, own the stands and the city around them.

Trump must be a Dortmund Fan.

Of course he is.  An American plays for them.

And rooting for Bayern is like rooting for the Yankees.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Bormio said:

Of course he is.  An American plays for them.

And rooting for Bayern is like rooting for the Yankees.

I get the feeling BD would root for the shitty team with the under-paid players who broke into his house and laid claim to his spare room and raid his kitchen.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, BigDrop said:

I should note there are 30,000 American troops in Germany where we have several large bases to use as staging areas for Europe, the Middle East and elsewhere.  We need NATO and the Europeans as much as they need us.

I should also add that most Germans speak some English since it is taught in elementary school.

So the North Korea end of the world thingy didn't workout for you. So the end of the world this week will be happening in Germany?

6 hours ago, BigDrop said:

He is only concerned about himself.  Always, everyone else is wrong.

I believe Trump is dangerous to the American economy and position in the world.  His acts must please Putin immensely.

I agree with you about the Russian people.

Have you seen what the American economy is doing?? We are doing very well as s country. Idk how he is dangerous at all. He has let the american machine work again at full capacity 

12 minutes ago, HSFBfan said:

Have you seen what the American economy is doing?? We are doing very well as s country. Idk how he is dangerous at all. He has let the american machine work again at full capacity 

Please read my post above about tariffs.  I also made a mistake in it:  BMW employees more than 10,000 in their Spartanburg plant and there are approximately 25,000 who are subcontractors.  It’s one of the largest plants in the world of any manufacturer.  All 3 series SUV’s are made in it.  When Trump threatens German car makers with tariffs he is risking retaliatory tariffs from other countries which in turn can impact that plant.

Greenville/Spartanburg has experienced explosive growth over the last 15 years.

From BMW, Hyundai, Michelin....

2 hours ago, concha said:

That most of NATO has been sponging off American defense spending for decades is not really debatable.

That self-righteous, self-serving "allies" run trade imbalances with us while putting themselves at risk through energy dependence on Putin's Russia is galling.

That the trade imbalance could be righted to a degree through buying gas from the ally that protects their asses - and that they indignantly spit in our faces at the very idea - frankly calls into question just what kind of allies they are.

WO-AW916_NATOSP_9U_20150622175709.jpg

Hey conch....what about saying the other countries don't spend too little....the U.S. spends way too much !!!!!

Rufus>>

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, BigDrop said:

Please read my post above about tariffs.  I also made a mistake in it:  BMW employees more than 10,000 in their Spartanburg plant and there are approximately 25,000 who are subcontractors.  It’s one of the largest plants in the world of any manufacturer.  All 3 series SUV’s are made in it.  When Trump threatens German car makers with tariffs he is risking retaliatory tariffs from other countries which in turn can impact that plant.

Greenville/Spartanburg has experienced explosive growth over the last 15 years.

From BMW, Hyundai, Michelin....

How many of those SUVs are sold in Europe though?  SUVs are an American thing mostly.  I know there are some - but I bet most are sold here.

NATO had it’s time and purpose - not sure I really see the relevance anymore.  Even the attack on one is an attack on all rule seems outdated - and I think even with NATO - countries would try and avoid their commitment.  Basically it ropes the US into the defense of Europe and not visa versa.

5 minutes ago, Bormio said:

NATO had it’s time and purpose - not sure I really see the relevance anymore.  Even the attack on one is an attack on all rule seems outdated - and I think even with NATO - countries would try and avoid their commitment.  Basically it ropes the US into the defense of Europe and not visa versa.

Per the Financial Times earlier this year...

In the years since reunification, the Bundeswehr had not only absorbed massive budget cuts but had also been told to prepare for entirely different military scenarios and tasks. Troop numbers have been slashed from almost 500,000 to just 180,000 since 1990.

...two decades of budget cuts could be covered up by cannibalising parts and materiel from across the army. Now, however, the hollowing out of the German military is showing everywhere — from grounded aircraft and unusable submarines to the pervasive lack of spare parts and staff shortages.

“What has changed over the past four years is that there is a new awareness and a new readiness to reset the Bundeswehr,” says Christian Mölling, a defence expert at the DGAP German Council on Foreign Relations. “But we are still miles from achieving that reset. Let’s not make too fine a point about this: the situation of Germany’s armed forces is dramatically bad. It will take a lot of time to turn this around.”

Not one of Germany’s six 212A-type submarines, for example, is able to leave port. Of the Bundeswehr’s 244 combat tanks, only 105 are operational (during the cold war, Germany had more than 4,500 combat tanks). 

More...

https://www.dw.com/en/only-4-of-germanys-128-eurofighter-jets-combat-ready-report/a-43611873

Only 4 of Germany's 128 Eurofighter jets combat ready — report

German Defense Minister von der Leyen wants €12 billion more for Bundeswehr

Defense Minister Ursula von der Leyen wants billions of euros more for the German army than current budget plans foresee, a newspaper has reported. Her ministry has stressed the need to catch up and modernize equipment. (29.04.2018)  

German military short on tanks for NATO mission

The German military is under-equipped to take on its upcoming role as leader of NATO's anti-Russian defense force, a leaked document shows. Opposition politicians say the defense minister is to blame. (16.02.2018)  

Germany's Bundeswehr 'lacks basic equipment' for NATO mission

The German army reportedly lacks the tents, winter clothes and other essential equipment needed for its deployment in a NATO rapid reaction force. The German defense ministry pledged that the items would be procured. (19.02.2018)  

Germany's lack of military readiness 'dramatic,' says Bundeswehr commissioner

The German parliament's military commissioner has published a report sharply critical of Germany's combat-readiness. The problem comes amid the country's increasing involvement in military missions abroad. (20.02.2018)  

Limited number of weapons in German military ready for action: report

German lawmakers are set to hear about how Germany's military, the Bundeswehr, has access to less than 50 percent of many major weapons systems. The findings are the latest to underscore problems in the armed forces. (27.02.2018)  

• Thanks 2

4 hours ago, concha said:

Per the Financial Times earlier this year...

In the years since reunification, the Bundeswehr had not only absorbed massive budget cuts but had also been told to prepare for entirely different military scenarios and tasks. Troop numbers have been slashed from almost 500,000 to just 180,000 since 1990.

...two decades of budget cuts could be covered up by cannibalising parts and materiel from across the army. Now, however, the hollowing out of the German military is showing everywhere — from grounded aircraft and unusable submarines to the pervasive lack of spare parts and staff shortages.

“What has changed over the past four years is that there is a new awareness and a new readiness to reset the Bundeswehr,” says Christian Mölling, a defence expert at the DGAP German Council on Foreign Relations. “But we are still miles from achieving that reset. Let’s not make too fine a point about this: the situation of Germany’s armed forces is dramatically bad. It will take a lot of time to turn this around.”

Not one of Germany’s six 212A-type submarines, for example, is able to leave port. Of the Bundeswehr’s 244 combat tanks, only 105 are operational (during the cold war, Germany had more than 4,500 combat tanks). 

More...

https://www.dw.com/en/only-4-of-germanys-128-eurofighter-jets-combat-ready-report/a-43611873

Only 4 of Germany's 128 Eurofighter jets combat ready — report

German Defense Minister von der Leyen wants €12 billion more for Bundeswehr

Defense Minister Ursula von der Leyen wants billions of euros more for the German army than current budget plans foresee, a newspaper has reported. Her ministry has stressed the need to catch up and modernize equipment. (29.04.2018)  

German military short on tanks for NATO mission

The German military is under-equipped to take on its upcoming role as leader of NATO's anti-Russian defense force, a leaked document shows. Opposition politicians say the defense minister is to blame. (16.02.2018)  

Germany's Bundeswehr 'lacks basic equipment' for NATO mission

The German army reportedly lacks the tents, winter clothes and other essential equipment needed for its deployment in a NATO rapid reaction force. The German defense ministry pledged that the items would be procured. (19.02.2018)  

Germany's lack of military readiness 'dramatic,' says Bundeswehr commissioner

The German parliament's military commissioner has published a report sharply critical of Germany's combat-readiness. The problem comes amid the country's increasing involvement in military missions abroad. (20.02.2018)  

Limited number of weapons in German military ready for action: report

German lawmakers are set to hear about how Germany's military, the Bundeswehr, has access to less than 50 percent of many major weapons systems. The findings are the latest to underscore problems in the armed forces. (27.02.2018)  

They started both World Wars, careful what you wish for...

8 hours ago, Bormio said:

How many of those SUVs are sold in Europe though?  SUVs are an American thing mostly.  I know there are some - but I bet most are sold here.

Significant percentage are going to China was the quote I found.  Implication was a quarter or so.

3 hours ago, dan in daytona said:

They started both World Wars, careful what you wish for...

They are either a useful military ally or they aren't.

Pick.

Right now they couldn't defend themselves against a Brownie troop. Yet they get indignant when their bullshit is called out.

Good for the president.

They are either a useful military ally or they aren't.

Pick.

Right now they couldn't defend themselves against a Brownie troop. Yet they get indignant when their bullshit is called out.

Good for the president.

The Germans are a gelded people at this point.  Even if they had a useful military their historical paranoia and guilt would make them too afraid to even use it for the noble purposes of advancing and protecting democracy, free trade, etc.  Instead Mutti will sit on her throne and lecture everyone about fiscal responsibility, welcoming diversity and refugees, etc. while helping to enrich Putin under the protection of our military.

Hell, even the French didn’t hesitate to send troops to Mali recently to combat radical Islamic terrorism®️™️©️ in Africa!  Who would have thought we’d live to see the day they were tougher than the Germans!

11 hours ago, Rufus69 said:

Hey conch....what about saying the other countries don't spend too little....the U.S. spends way too much !!!!!

Rufus>>

Rufus, I’m with you 100%.  Being serious about fiscal responsibility means looking at our own military and seeing where we can cut the fat.  We can scrap “Space Force” now and avoid that money pit!

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Hardcore Troubador said:

Rufus, I’m with you 100%.  Being serious about fiscal responsibility means looking at our own military and seeing where we can cut the fat.  We can scrap “Space Force” now and avoid that money pit!

World War II was possible because the free people of the world convinced and deluded themselves into thinking it could never happen again.

I don't necessarily disagree that we spend too much.  Getting our "allies" in a position where they could at least defend themselves against some Cub Scouts would be a start to us being able to reduce our own spend.

According to reports Germany has about 100 operational main battle tanks, less than a squadron of modern, combat-ready Typhoon fighters and six submarines that are effectively tied-up barges.  How the f*** can they defend that situation?  They have one workable MBT for every 1,400 square miles of German territory.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, concha said:

World War II was possible because the free people of the world convinced and deluded themselves into thinking it could never happen again.

I don't necessarily disagree that we spend too much.  Getting our "allies" in a position where they could at least defend themselves against some Cub Scouts would be a start to us being able to reduce our own spend.

According to reports Germany has about 100 operational main battle tanks, less than a squadron of modern, combat-ready Typhoon fighters and six submarines that are effectively tied-up barges.  How the f*** can they defend that situation?  They have one workable MBT for every 1,400 square miles of German territory.

conch...I said conch...did I read you right?

You want Germany to have a large military fighting force?

Amigo....how old are you....LOL.

Rufus>>

• Like 1

Ww2 was possible because the reparations that America and its allies put in place were so harsh that the people of Germany were fed up and Hitler gave them someone to blame. America destroyed their military and you can say rightly so after ww1 and it led to nothing but bad things. If it wasnt for pearl harbor idk if Germany would have ever beat Russia but it might have been easier. Let's thank Japan for waking up the sleeping giant