2018 Tier Placement - Final

Sammyswordsman

14 minutes ago, Omaha Vol said:

I’m guessing your dumbass still thinks Longview sucks? 

No, I think these teams suck.

On 12/5/2018 at 8:03 AM, Goldmember said:

Sure, if you think Westfield, West Brook and Vandegrift are good teams than TX 6A-II is a gauntlet.

Shutting out Westfield means nothing.

In fact, beating them 14-0 is probably a good sign that you're overrated.

7 hours ago, Sammyswordsman said:

Tier 1 - Mater Dei, IMG,  SJB,  NorthShore (TX), 

Tier 2 -    Allen, DLS, Cen10,  St. Louis (Hi),  Miami Central, Carol City, St. Edwards, Duncanville Tx, Archbishop Hoban, Lakeland (Fla), (OH),  Centennial AZ, Colquitt County, 

Tier 3 -   John Curtis, Katy, Warren Central (Ind),  Christian Brothers,   Folsom,  SJC, Gonzaga, DeMatha, STA, St. Iggy (OH), Mentor (OH),  Bishop Gorman,  Aledo, Chandler (Az), Colerain (Oh),  ULAB (La), Longview (Tx)

Tier 4 -   SJP,  Bergen Catholic,  Jserra, Jokes Christian, Deerfield Beach,  Massilon, (OH),  Milton, Archer, SJR,  Loyola Academy,  West Monroe, SFA, Christopher Columbus FLA, Mandarin Fla, Robert E Lee, Trinity Christian, Columbia FL, Hillgrove Ga

Tier 5 -    Hoover,  Good Council,   Lincoln Way East,  Cartersville, Blessed Trinity,  Mission Viejo, Warner Robbins Ga, AHP,  Cardinal Gibbons,   Lee County Ga,  Parkview, Grayson

Tier 6 -      Bingham, Walton,  DBP,  De Paul,  Pinnacle Az.  Cass Tech (MI),  Muskegon (MI), Rome,  Lowndes, Tift,   Pick Central, SPP

*teams will not be considered to be in a Tier until they score a point ( if they have played a game).

Below is an explanation of the Methodolgy used to place the teams on various Tiers.  The Tier concept recognizes that W/L records are a function of quality of opponent, and as such, RELEVANCY of opponent MUST be factored in.  The Tiers recognizes that in some cases, a 10-0 team (ranked in Top 100 by some outlets) could get blown off the field by a 5-5 (unranked) team that played a tougher schedule.  This is why the Tiers was created.

*Not attempting to rank every team, only the ones we discuss on this site.

* The Tiers are fluid and subject to extreme fluctuations early in the year, leveling out as the year progresses.

*Tier placements consider a teams entire body of work, however are weighted heaviest on recent games and game weights decrease in significance in reverse order.  In other words, early road OOS losses to relevant teams can be overcome as the season progresses.

*Teams placed on the same Tier can compete with other same Tier teams and possibly win 2+ of 10. 

*Basically there is a -10 point drop between tiers.  Could vary from a TD to 3 scores depending on the styles of teams playing.  This does not necessarily mean that there is a 30 point difference between Tier 1 and Tier 3, only that the chances of a Tier 3 team beating a Tier 1 team are exponentially less than the chances of a Tier 2 Team beating a Tier 1 team.

*It is possible for a team to lose by 10+ to a team on their same Tier, and still be 10+ points better than teams on the next lowest Tier.

*The Tiers will ultimately be made up of (16) teams per Tier that would form competitive playoff brackets.

*Texas teams generally have not played enough OOS games to gauge properly #crapshoot.  There must be a daisy chain OOS connection for a reference point.  Teams with no OOS daisy chain connection may not be placed on a Tier.  (Texas exempt)

*Tiers are based on exhaustive research, Multiple games watched, and good gut feelings.

*This is a crowd sourced rating. All input will be considered and adjustments will be made as appropriate

How DARE you drop STA from Tier 1.  Don't you know that they have 60 plus D1 players on their team? 

😜

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Goldmember said:

No, I think these teams suck.

Shutting out Westfield means nothing.

None of the three are world beaters, but they are decent teams and Longview beat two of them with ease. Westlake will have no problems with West Brook and that should set up a good game for the state title between them and the Lobos. 

Speaking of overrated it was a pleasure to see your Raiders choke it away and get thumped by an overmatched Lakeland team. 🤣

1 hour ago, noonereal said:

@Sammyswordsman  tell me a bit about this tier thing...

How many tiers do you have and how many teams in total are in all tiers combined? 

Good question.  I think the the Tier concept would complement what you are trying to get across to people by saying "zip code" teams.

The purpose of the Tiers is to offer an alternative to normal polls that only see win loss records and don't weight strength of schedule enough.  For example, polls would rank an unknown 10-0 team from Kansas ahead of a 7-3 SJR, when in actuality SJR would pulverize the team from Kansas.

The Tiers attempt clarify that not all 10-0 records hold the same weight.

A simple example would be to picture a 3D chess board with 3 playing levels.

Your pieces are (4) 10-0 teams; (4) 8-2 teams (4) 6-4/7-3 teams.  Now place them on each level by what your expertise would make competitive groupings for the best 4 team playoff brackett.  Tier 1 = Top chess board, Tier 2 middle, Tier 3 lower.

You may end up with 10-0 teams on all three tiers, and a 6-4 team on the top tier.

A sample exercise, see tems below and place them on what you believe would be the most competitive 4 team playoff.  See how different they are from what Calpreps has.

10-0 Corner Canyon (Ut) Calpreps #43

10-0 Central (Al) Calpreps #39

10-0 SJP (calpreps #23)

10-0 Greenwich (Ct) Calpreps #31

8-2 Mentor Ohio (calpreps #25)

8-2 St. Iggy (calpreps #34)

8-2 SJR (Cal preps #80)

8-2 Bergen Catholic (Calpreps #126

7-3 Bishop Gorman (Calpreps #93)

7-3 Archer Calpreps #71

6-5 Don Bosco Calpreps #442

7-3 Good Council Calpreps #97

How many tiers do you have and how many teams in total are in all tiers combined? 

Also a highly ranked  but in reality a Tier 3 team that dominates other teams in their state/ara  (and puffs their chests as a State Champion), would get mauled if they played a Tier 1 team and probably a Tier 2 team as well.  ex St. Eds vs SJB a few years ago.

• Like 1

So what we try to do for the Tiers (with everyone's help and contributions) is figure out which teams (that we discuss on the forum) belong closest in ability with which other teams from other states.

The concept is that there is a clear separation/jumping off point, between the Tiers.

So a Tier 2 teams would play each other pretty close, but would have very little chance against a Tier 1 team, and so on.

46 minutes ago, Sammyswordsman said:

Good question.  I think the the Tier concept would complement what you are trying to get across to people by saying "zip code" teams.

The purpose of the Tiers is to offer an alternative to normal polls that only see win loss records and don't weight strength of schedule enough.  For example, polls would rank an unknown 10-0 team from Kansas ahead of a 7-3 SJR, when in actuality SJR would pulverize the team from Kansas.

A simple example would be to picture a 3D chess board with 3 playing levels.

Your pieces are (4) 10-0 teams; (4) 8-2 teams (4) 6-4/7-3 teams.  Now place them on each level by what your expertise would make competitive groupings for the best 4 team playoff brackett.  Tier 1 = Top chess board, Tier 2 middle, Tier 3 lower.

You may end up with 10-0 teams on all three tiers, and a 6-4 team on the top tier.

A sample exercise, see tems below and place them on what you believe would be the most competitive 4 team playoff.  See how different they are from what Calpreps has.

10-0 Corner Canyon (Ut) Calpreps #43

10-0 Central (Al) Calpreps #39

10-0 SJP (calpreps #23)

10-0 Greenwich (Ct) Calpreps #31

8-2 Mentor Ohio (calpreps #25)

8-2 St. Iggy (calpreps #34)

8-2 SJR (Cal preps #80)

8-2 Bergen Catholic (Calpreps #126

7-3 Bishop Gorman (Calpreps #93)

7-3 Archer Calpreps #71

6-5 Don Bosco Calpreps #442

7-3 Good Council Calpreps #97

FYI, Don Bosco sucks, we want to be Delbarton North this week. It makes "the alumni that matter" happy at the school. 

But how many tiers do you use and how many teams total appear in all your tiers? 

47 minutes ago, StingMan44 said:

@ohio and @Sammyswordsman...check your inboxes, please!

Thanks.  I didn't know that. And yes I do care.

Here's a nice write up about him.   https://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/high-school/2017/11/29/centennial-high-school-football-richard-taylor-5-a-championship-preview/906643001/

Will Centennial play in the GEICO game?

32 minutes ago, Sammyswordsman said:

Also a highly ranked  but in reality a Tier 3 team that dominates other teams in their state/ara  (and puffs their chests as a State Champion), would get mauled if they played a Tier 1 team and probably a Tier 2 team as well.  ex St. Eds vs SJB a few years ago.

LOL, we all know you are talking about Colquitt and that you are right.

...... what a strange thing i said to sammy, "you are right" lol

I best adjust my meds.

--------

Noone shouts to the kitchen, "bring me a German beer this time, those others have  gone to my head!" 

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, noonereal said:

FYI, Don Bosco sucks, we want to be Delbarton North this week. It makes "the alumni that matter" happy at the school. 

But how many tiers do you use and how many teams total appear in all your tiers? 

I use 6 Tiers, which is arbitrary.  Some guys think it should be narrowed to 3Tiers.  Ideally I would put 16 teams in each Tier (for a full playoff bracket) but I only bother to place the teams that guys are interested in.

2 hours ago, noonereal said:

is have a circle jerk, I know

just answer the question. 

------------

noone now clearly agitated yells to the kitchen again, "bring me the entire 6 pack of those Germans, this CA guy on the internet is taking himself seriously! Good Grief." 

Admit it, your intrigued.  Keep seein you peeping into the thread off an on for the past few weeks.  LOL. 

4 minutes ago, Sammyswordsman said:

I use 6 Tiers, which is arbitrary.  Some guys think it should be narrowed to 3Tiers.  Ideally I would put 16 teams in each Tier (for a full playoff bracket) but I only bother to place the teams that guys are interested in.

4th time asked, how many total teams are in all 6 tiers?

---------

noone wondering if beers will help at all once again yells to the kitchen, this time screaming, "I need hard alcohol! Bring those Germans and a fifth of Black!"

16 minutes ago, ohio said:

Thanks.  I didn't know that. And yes I do care.

Here's a nice write up about him.   https://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/high-school/2017/11/29/centennial-high-school-football-richard-taylor-5-a-championship-preview/906643001/

Will Centennial play in the GEICO game?

Yep. Dec. 22nd at 10:30pm your time I think. On ESPNU against Eastside Catholic out of Washington.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Sammyswordsman said:

Admit it, your intrigued.  Keep seein you peeping into the thread off an on for the past few weeks.  LOL.  It is funny though how many guys get so upset about where their team gets placed.  LOL

Peeping in????????

Kid, I "fell" in today and had never stopped by before. Heavy drinking is the cause. 

I gotta get out of here because talking to you I'll need hard drugs next! 

I'd hate to take @Troll'sThorazine as he needs it just to get by each day. . 

1 hour ago, Omaha Vol said:

None of the three are world beaters, but they are decent teams and Longview beat two of them with ease.

Two weeks ago you said they were good teams. Now, they're just decent.

This is what you always do. You just make something up about a team and then when confronted on it, you hedge and then change your tune.

It just proves that you have no idea what you're talking about and you're just spitballing.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

16 minutes ago, noonereal said:

4th time asked, how many total teams are in all 6 tiers?

---------

noone wondering if beers will help at all once again yells to the kitchen, this time screaming, "I need hard alcohol! Bring those Germans and a fifth of Black!"

6 tiers...16 in each tier...do some math!! Although I dont see how 16 teams can go into tier 1.

2 minutes ago, Goldmember said:

Two weeks ago you said they were good teams. Now, they're just decent.

This is what you always do. You just make something up about a team and then when confronted on it, you hedge and then change your tune.

It just proves that you have no idea what you're talking about and you're just spitballing.

Jesus Christ! You're an idiot. Decent means respectable or worthy. That's very similar to good, in case you didn't know. There's no hedging going on here.

Still waiting on your poll, chicken shit.................... 

13 minutes ago, noonereal said:

this is the thread from helll! 

Sounds like a Colquitt opponent. Good grief. 

This game will be a beat down.  Too bad state associations prevent state champs from playing in the GEICO game.  I'm pretty sure that Eds or Hoban wouldn't mind taking a crack at Centennial as would SJR.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sammyswordsman said:
1 hour ago, Sammyswordsman said:

Except that not all polls have those fluff teams from weaker states in them. I know you have never seen Greenwich or Martinsburg in the No Nonsense top 50 poll. And I certainly will not be including Derby or Aquinas from Kansas. Lol

I also have multiple loss St. Edward at #27 in my most recent poll. 

• Like 1