2018 Tier Placement - Final

Sammyswordsman

27 minutes ago, Sammyswordsman said:

Tier 1 - Mater Dei, ,  SJB,  NorthShore (TX), 

Tier 2 -    Allen, DLS, Cen10,  St. Louis (Hi),  Miami Central, Carol City, St. Edwards, Duncanville Tx, Archbishop Hoban, Lakeland (Fla), (OH),  Centennial AZ, IMG (USA)

Tier 3 -   John Curtis, Katy, Warren Central (Ind),  Christian Brothers,   SJC, Gonzaga, Colquitt County, DeMatha, STA, St. Iggy (OH), Mentor (OH),  Bishop Gorman,  Milton, Aledo, Chandler (Az), Colerain (Oh),  ULAB (La), Longview (Tx)

Tier 4 -   SJP,  Bergen Catholic,  Jserra, Jokes Christian, Massilon, (OH),  Milton, Archer, SJR,  Loyola Academy,  West Monroe, SFA, Christopher Columbus FLA, Mandarin Fla, Robert E Lee, Trinity Christian, Columbia FL, Hillgrove Ga, Folsom,. Cardinal Gibbons, Lee County Ga

Tier 5 -    Hoover,  Good Council,   Lincoln Way East,  Cartersville, Blessed Trinity,  Mission Viejo, Warner Robbins Ga, AHP, Parkview, Grayson, Deerfield Beach

Tier 6 -      Bingham, Walton,  DBP,  De Paul,  Pinnacle Az.  Cass Tech (MI),  Muskegon (MI), Rome,  Lowndes, Tift,   Pick Central, SPP

32 minutes ago, Sammyswordsman said:

Prior to releasing this weeks Tiers, I am seeking input from the board on some recent developments and how they should affect the placements.

1. Colquitt County and Milton - Where to they get placed and how does the Milton win affect the rest of Ga and Bergen Catholic

Both in tier 3 like past week

2. Folsom regulation tie and 7 point over time win over Cathedral Catholic.  Where do we place CC and which are the relevant games we should grade Folsom on, which Tier do they fit in best.

Folsom tier 4, CC in tier 5 or 6

3.  Duncanville leading Allen 14-7 early.  Does the winner move to Tier 1 and the loser to Tier 3 or stay in Tier 2

If it's within 10 Points both tier 2, if it's double digits then winner tier 2 and loser tier 3

Winner beats northshore next week then consider tier 1

4.  Where is Lakeland the best fit? and should STA be dropped to Tier 3?

Lakeland tier 2 or borderline tier 1

STA tier 3

5. What about the Bishop and AZ schools Centennial and Chandler? 

Bishop Gorman struggled with better teams at beginning then rolled through easy competition at end

Tier 3 or 4

The AZ teams are in right place atm

6.  Are Jokes and JSerra in the same Tier as Folsom?

Yes

7.  How much weight do we put on St. Eds late season rally vs early struggles, and would that also apply to other teams

More credit to recent games

8.  Is ULAB really all that?  What Tier do they fit in with?

Tier 3 is fair

9.  Can Northshore hang with the Stache and SJB, and/or visa versa?

Never can know for sure but they seem to be best Texas got this year and are separating themselves from the pack

This is your chance to make your case.  As promised, we crowd source the placements, and the data is coming in hot.

I bolded the changes I would make

2 minutes ago, Columbiafan said:

Both in tier 3 like past week

Folsom tier 4, CC in tier 5 or 6

If it's within 10 Points both tier 2, if it's double digits then winner tier 2 and loser tier 3

Winner beats northshore next week then consider tier 1

Lakeland tier 2 or borderline tier 1

STA tier 3

Bishop Gorman struggled with better teams at beginning then rolled through easy competition at end

Tier 3 or 4

The AZ teams are in right place atm

Yes

More credit to recent games

Tier 3 is fair

Never can know for sure but they seem to be best Texas got this year and are separating themselves from the pack

I bolded the changes I would make

Good work Columbia fan.  All your moves have merit.  Let see what your compadres think.  Any Fla teams that should be added for discussion purposes?

• Like 1

Even though Folsom showed they can play with DLS (this season) I’m okay with them staying tier 3. They didn’t do enough to justify tier 2 last night like I had hoped. Their defense looked good but their offense had a very off night. Unfortunately it was in an important game especially when it comes to final rankings. You could tell they had superior athletes to CC but CC is really well coached, played to their strengths and had a perfect game plan to slow them down. Props to CC. 

Regarding oaks and JSerra I still think Folsom would beat them but I have to admit I don’t think it would be as handily as I thought before. 

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, Sammyswordsman said:

IT's worth noting that Narbonne had the following losses

7- 47 vs St. Louis (Hi)

3-26 vs Long Beach Poly

23-42 vs Cen10 Corona

21-24 vs Central Catholic.

Those first two games they were missing key players including their D1 QB. Huge asterisk on both of those losses.  

Correction- they didn’t even have their QB against C10 either... 

Question 2- Folsom and Cathedral....

Regarding Folsom, If the Folsom Spin Team can convince you that they are better then TIER 4, I am good with it... :) 

Regarding Cathedral or "The Other CC", I think they have a Valid Case for TIER 4...

Cathedral Cathloic was the San Diego Open Champion... The beat Torrey Pines in the Championship game who was Previously Unbeaten Including a win over South Coast League Champion San Clemente who was a 2nd Round playoff team in SS D1... A Team that also beat the South Coast League Champ is La Costa Canyon... They Beat CC in week 1, but I will get to that in a minute...

The 4 Open Teams in San Diego this Year were Torrey Pines, CC, Carlsbad (Beat La Costa Canyon) and San Marcos... In the Playoffs when it counted CC Beat Carlsbad 35-0, #1 Torrey Pines 28-17 and of Course they Beat the LA Open Champion Narbonne in the D 1-AA Open Regional and Tied TIER 3 Team Folsom 14-14 in Regulation losing 21-14 OT....

Now we get to the D1-AA State Title Game, Currently Folsom is a TIER 3 Team and was Flirting with TIER 2... CC was able to Play a TIER 3 Team and Successfully Execute Their Game-plan and Play The Game at Their Pace... The TIER 3 Team had to adjust to CC, and CC's Defense was Able to Hold that TIER 3 Team to 0 points in the first half and 14 in 4 quarters... Only TIER 2 Team DLS Held The TIER 3 Team to less points... And don't forget, the TIER 3 team had to come from behind and force OT.... CC only Lost to the TIER 3 Team because of an Unlucky play in OT...

Back to their week 1 loss... Sure they lost 19-7 in the first game of the year... I would say that is more of a Fluke... They would have had the opportunity to avenge the loss in the Open Bracket, but La Costa Canyon Lost their League Title to Carlsbad knocking LCC out of the Open... CC Played League Champion Carlsbad in the playoffs and shut them out 35-0... Since Both Teams LCC and CC are able to qualify for and play in the Open Bracket, the fact that LCC didn't qualify makes CC a better team by default...

The Bottom line is that Cathedral Cathlioc Knocked off the #1 Team in SD, The LA Open Champ, and Held the Nor Cal 1-AA Champ to its lowest scoring output of the season by Dictating the terms of the Game with Their Style of Play...

Based on all that, I would say the CC is TIER 4, ESPECIALLY if Folsom stays in TIER 3.... If Folsom drop's to TIER 4 then it is Fair that CC is on the same TIER...

I would like to see what other wins Folsom could point to and argue this... I hope not Del Oro who is a D2 team Masquarding as a D1 Team in their over hyped league... They Really only have a 2TD Shutout loss to a TIER 2 team that has been their calling card all year...

Sorry for All The "Gyrations" Sammy, I just Feel "The Other CC" has a Great Case for TIER 4....🤣🤣

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Sammyswordsman said:

Prior to releasing this weeks Tiers, I am seeking input from the board on some recent developments and how they should affect the placements.

1. Colquitt County and Milton - Where to they get placed and how does the Milton win affect the rest of Ga and Bergen Catholic

2. Folsom regulation tie and 7 point over time win over Cathedral Catholic.  Where do we place CC and which are the relevant games we should grade Folsom on, which Tier do they fit in best.

3.  Duncanville leading Allen 14-7 early.  Does the winner move to Tier 1 and the loser to Tier 3 or stay in Tier 2

7.  How much weight do we put on St. Eds late season rally vs early struggles, and would that also apply to other teams

This is your chance to make your case.  As promised, we crowd source the placements, and the data is coming in hot.

1. Both Tier 2 or 3

2. Where they were last week

3. Duncanville Tier 1  Allen Tier 2

4. Lakeland 2  STA No Tier cuz Goldmember is a jackass

5. Bishop Tier 3 or 4  AZ teams...as long is Centennial is on the same tier or better than Chandler I’m okay

6-8. Dont know enough about

9. Northshore is def Tier 1

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Sammyswordsman said:

Sammy is a good shit, my Rottweiler had a Sammy today, thought I’d share my findings. 

BGW

8049CB30-4F84-48B6-8CC6-806C71F52807.jpeg

• Thumbs Down 1

8 minutes ago, StingMan44 said:

1. Both Tier 2 or 3

2. Where they were last week

3. Duncanville Tier 1  Allen Tier 2

4. Lakeland 2  STA No Tier cuz Goldmember is a jackass

5. Bishop Tier 3 or 4  AZ teams...as long is Centennial is on the same tier or better than Chandler I’m okay

6-8. Dont know enough about

9. Northshore is def Tier 1

Hey, don’t penalize STA because of the jackass former stat boy. 

😁😁😁

BGW

• Haha 2

17 hours ago, Sammyswordsman said:

I would put Colerain, Eds, and Hoban on the same tier

• Thanks 1

Tier 1 - Mater Dei, ,  SJB,  NorthShore (TX), 

Tier 2 -    Allen, DLS, Cen10,  St. Louis (Hi),  Miami Central, Carol City, St. Edwards, Duncanville Tx, Archbishop Hoban, Lakeland (Fla), (OH),  Centennial AZ, IMG (USA)

Tier 3 -   John Curtis, Katy, Warren Central (Ind),  Christian Brothers,   SJC, Gonzaga, Colquitt County, DeMatha, STA, St. Iggy (OH), Mentor (OH),  Bishop Gorman,  Milton, Aledo, Chandler (Az), Colerain (Oh),  ULAB (La), Longview (Tx), Christopher Columbus FLA, Mandarin Fla

Tier 4 -   SJP,  Bergen Catholic,  Jserra, Jokes Christian, Massilon, (OH),  Milton, Archer, SJR,  Loyola Academy,  West Monroe, SFA, Edgewater FL,  Raines FL, Robert E Lee, Trinity Christian, Columbia FL, Hillgrove Ga, Folsom,. Cardinal Gibbons, Lee County Ga

Tier 5 -    Hoover,  Good Council,   Lincoln Way East,  Cartersville, Blessed Trinity,  Mission Viejo, Warner Robbins Ga, AHP, Parkview, Grayson, Deerfield Beach, Wekiva FL, Dwyer FL, Chaminade Madonna

Tier 6 -      Bingham, Walton,  DBP,  De Paul,  Pinnacle Az.  Cass Tech (MI),  Muskegon (MI), Rome,  Lowndes, Tift,   Pick Central, SPP

Suggestions:

Wekiva (same tier as DFB)

Chaminade (same tier)

Dwyer (same tier as DFB)

Raines and Edgewater ( same tier as Lee, Columbia and Trinity Christian)

Mandarin and Columbus one tier higher

I bolded the potential changes as well as the ones I spoke on yesterday

@Sammyswordsman

• Thanks 1

If North Shore wins the D1 Championship, Katy should receive some consideration for a move to Tier 2.  They traded blows with North Shore, and were within 4 points until only a few minutes remained in the game.  The Katy QB threw a pick-6 to account for the final, 11 point margin.  So far, they're the only team that's stayed right with NS for 4 quarters this year.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Yard Dart said:

If North Shore wins the D1 Championship, Katy should receive some consideration for a move to Tier 2.  They traded blows with North Shore, and were within 4 points until only a few minutes remained in the game.  The Katy QB threw a pick-6 to account for the final, 11 point margin.  So far, they're the only team that's stayed right with NS for 4 quarters this year.

I agree, katy should get credit regardless.  

Katy threw a pick 6 that made it a 18 pt lead, then they scored with 10 seconds to cut it to 11. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Omaha Vol said:

Lol. You FL guys really despise IMG. They are clearly tier 1. 

Playing a tier 1 team close in one game don't make them tier 1 themselves

I watched several of the top FL teams and I'm not convinced they even best team in FL

Ik some teams hold back talent and game plan in preseason but not conditioning and this IMG team was not that well conditioned and I think they would have struggled with teams with deep rosters that had enough at skill positions to hold them off

IMG gets away with sloppy play often simply because they tire their opponents out but they didn't face those type of teams and perhaps only one who fit the description I gave beat them

This is by far the weakest IMG team in past few years, this team more on par with 2014 and 2015 version

Previous 2 years IMG team would beat current one without a doubt and 2016 one might even beat this one by 14 points 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Omaha Vol said:

You’re one of my favorite posters, my brotha, but I have to disagree on this one. Any team that can go on the road and hang with MD or SJB is tier 1. At least this year anyway. 

Agree to disagree

Had IMG faced multiple tier 1 teams and had similar results then I would probably lean towards that but them being close to a tier 1 team during one week don't show me they were tier 1 for the entire season or at the end of season and when it comes to IMG the talent on paper only takes them so far in my observation of them

The biggest problem with IMG this year at least to me is I didn't see anything that made this one special, to me they are basically a d1 school playing half-ass and living off reputation

Their only truly elite opponent beat them

There next 2 toughest opponents were probably Hoover and MNW

Hoover has proven they struggle with basically any top 25 team and MNW was not at the level they were come playoffs when they played

Point is their resume overall isn't that impressive this year when compared to other national elites and even though they played several oos games quite a few were filler games that would lose to several solid but not elite schools in FL and it feels like IMG is getting benefit of doubt based on past years instead of being judged for this year team specifically

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Columbiafan said:

Agree to disagree

Had IMG faced multiple tier 1 teams and had similar results then I would probably lean towards that but them being close to a tier 1 team during one week don't show me they were tier 1 for the entire season or at the end of season and when it comes to IMG the talent on paper only takes them so far in my observation of them

The biggest problem with IMG this year at least to me is I didn't see anything that made this one special, to me they are basically a d1 school playing half-ass and living off reputation

Their only truly elite opponent beat them

There next 2 toughest opponents were probably Hoover and MNW

Hoover has proven they struggle with basically any top 25 team and MNW was not at the level they were come playoffs when they played

Point is their resume overall isn't that impressive this year when compared to other national elites and even though they played several oos games quite a few were filler games that would lose to several solid but not elite schools in FL and it feels like IMG is getting benefit of doubt based on past years instead of being judged for this year team specifically

IMG entire season focus  was built around the MD game.  The IMG team that night was Tier 1 

the rest of the games weren’t that interesting to IMG.

Just now, Sammyswordsman said:

IMG entire season focus  was built around the MD game.  The IMG team that night was Tier 1 

the rest of the games weren’t that interesting to IMG.

Perhaps that is the case which could explain why that was really the only game IMG stepped up in despite half assing for most of the season which is nothing new 

But isn't the goal behind the tiers to judge a team over the entire season? Or is it to judge current?

What img did in that one game has very little to do with either option IJS

4 minutes ago, Columbiafan said:

Perhaps that is the case which could explain why that was really the only game IMG stepped up in despite half assing for most of the season which is nothing new 

But isn't the goal behind the tiers to judge a team over the entire season? Or is it to judge current?

What img did in that one game has very little to do with either option IJS

The goal is to place teams appropriately based on ability.  Ability would be measured on results from a 100% effort