2018 Tier Placement - Final

Sammyswordsman

19 minutes ago, ohio said:

Dear Sir,

Currently, Sammy, The Comish, The Colonel, Mr. Stache, and Consuela are in a board meeting discussing the placement of the Tiers.   They would like you to know that they have taken your request under consideration.

When they deliberate they will give you a response to your request. 

Your patience is appreciated.

Dear member,

During a routine reconnaissance of the various threads, one of our interns noticed your  writing style/paragraph structure, and pointed out that you have potential.  The said intern suggested that you be acknowledged, and encouraged to continue your studies, and foster your  interest in HS football,

While we don't normally single out individual members for recognition, The Chief has actively sought fresh opinions, as some of our charter members are "growing long in the tooth", and have been rehashing the same topics for the past many years.  

Than you for your enthusiasm and please continue to provide your takes.

PS.  Who is this Colonel you mentioned?

- The Comish

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, The Comish said:

Dear member,

During a routine reconnaissance of the various threads, one of our interns noticed your  writing style/paragraph structure, and pointed out that you have potential.  The said intern suggested that you be acknowledged, and encouraged to continue your studies, and foster your  interest in HS football,

While we don't normally single out individual members for recognition, The Chief has actively sought fresh opinions, as some of our charter members are "growing long in the tooth", and have been rehashing the same topics for the past many years.  

Than you for your enthusiasm and please continue to provide your takes.

PS.  Who is this Colonel you mentioned?

- The Comish

Sir.  It will be an honor and a privilege

30 minutes ago, Sammyswordsman said:

You make several very good points.  The Tiers philosophy is to recognize teams. That play tough schedules, and question the results of teams that do not.  The Bishop did move up recently, their offense has been much improved,  and we will be taking a close look at them for the next release today.

Your well written appeal, with relevant facts, promotes an intelligent discourse for all members.

How do you determine who's played a tough schedule or not? Specifically in comparing teams from different states who have no common opponents, common opponents of opponents etc?

Tier 1 - Mater Dei, IMG,  SJB,  NorthShore (TX), 

Tier 2 -    Allen, DLS, Cen10,  St. Louis (Hi),  Miami Central, Carol City, St. Edwards, Duncanville Tx, Archbishop Hoban, Lakeland (Fla), (OH),  Centennial AZ, Colquitt County, 

Tier 3 -   John Curtis, Katy, Warren Central (Ind),  Christian Brothers,  West Monroe, Folsom, ULAB (La), SJC, Gonzaga, DeMatha, STA, St. Iggy (OH), Mentor (OH), SFA, Bishop Gorman,    Christopher Columbus (FL), Aledo, Chandler (Az), Colerain (Oh), 

Tier 4 -   SJP,  Bergen Catholic,  Jserra, Jokes Christian, Deerfield Beach,  Massilon, (OH),  Milton, Archer, SJR,  Loyola Academy,

Tier 5 -    Hoover,  Good Council,   Lincoln Way East,  Cartersville, Blessed Trinity,  Mission Viejo, Warner Robbins Ga, AHP,  Cardinal Gibbons,   Lee County Ga,  Trinity Christian (FL), Columbia (Fl).

Tier 6 -      Bingham, Walton,  DBP,  De Paul,  Pinnacle Az.  Cass Tech (MI),  Muskegon (MI), Rome,  Lowndes, Tift, Parkview, Grayson, Pick Central, SPP

*teams will not be considered to be in a Tier until they score a point ( if they have played a game).

Below is an explanation of the Methodolgy used to place the teams on various Tiers.  The Tier concept recognizes that W/L records are a function of quality of opponent, and as such, RELEVANCY of opponent MUST be factored in.  The Tiers recognizes that in some cases, a 10-0 team (ranked in Top 100 by some outlets) could get blown off the field by a 5-5 (unranked) team that played a tougher schedule.  This is why the Tiers was created.

*Not attempting to rank every team, only the ones we discuss on this site.

* The Tiers are fluid and subject to extreme fluctuations early in the year, leveling out as the year progresses.

*Tier placements consider a teams entire body of work, however are weighted heaviest on recent games and game weights decrease in significance in reverse order.  In other words, early road OOS losses to relevant teams can be overcome as the season progresses.

*Teams placed on the same Tier can compete with other same Tier teams and possibly win 2+ of 10. 

*Basically there is a -10 point drop between tiers.  Could vary from a TD to 3 scores depending on the styles of teams playing.  This does not necessarily mean that there is a 30 point difference between Tier 1 and Tier 3, only that the chances of a Tier 3 team beating a Tier 1 team are exponentially less than the chances of a Tier 2 Team beating a Tier 1 team.

*It is possible for a team to lose by 10+ to a team on their same Tier, and still be 10+ points better than teams on the next lowest Tier.

*The Tiers will ultimately be made up of (16) teams per Tier that would form competitive playoff brackets.

*Texas teams generally have not played enough OOS games to gauge properly #crapshoot.  There must be a daisy chain OOS connection for a reference point.  Teams with no OOS daisy chain connection may not be placed on a Tier.  (Texas exempt)

*Tiers are based on exhaustive research, Multiple games watched, and good gut feelings.

*This is a crowd sourced rating. All input will be considered and adjustments will be made as appropriate

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, StingMan44 said:

@Sammyswordsman just so you know...your spiel on the bottom of your Tiers says 16 teams per Tier, yet Tier 3 currently has 18 teams.

Yeah.  The season isn't over yet though.  I was toying with ending the year with a hypothetical 16 team brackets that would be pretty competitive.  Still may do it, or just delete that line. 

17 hours ago, Sammyswordsman said:

Tier 1 - Mater Dei, IMG,  SJB,  NorthShore (TX), STA, 

Tier 2 -    Allen, DLS, Cen10,  St. Louis (Hi),  Miami Central, Carol City, St. Edwards, Duncanville Tx, Archbishop Hoban (OH),  Centennial AZ, Colquitt County

Tier 3 -   John Curtis, Katy, Warren Central (Ind),  Christian Brothers,  West Monroe, Folsom, ULAB (La), SJC, Gonzaga, DeMatha, St. Iggy (OH), Mentor (OH), SFA, Bishop Gorman,    Christopher Columbus (FL), Aledo, Chandler (Az), Colerain (Oh)

Tier 4 -   SJP,  Bergen Catholic,  Jserra, Jokes Christian, Deerfield Beach,  Central Fresno, Massilon, (OH),  Milton, Archer, SJR,  Loyola Academy,

Tier 5 -    Hoover,    Lakeland,  Good Council,   Lincoln Way East,  Cartersville, Blessed Trinity,  Mission Viejo, Warner Robbins Ga, AHP,  Cardinal Gibbons,   Lee County Ga,  Trinity Christian (FL), Columbia (Fl).

Tier 6 -      Bingham, Walton,  DBP,  De Paul,  Pinnacle Az.  Cass Tech (MI),  Muskegon (MI), Rome,  Lowndes, Tift, Parkview, Grayson, Pick Central, SPP

*teams will not be considered to be in a Tier until they score a point ( if they have played a game).

Below is an explanation of the Methodolgy used to place the teams on various Tiers.  The Tier concept recognizes that W/L records are a function of quality of opponent, and as such, RELEVANCY of opponent MUST be factored in.  The Tiers recognizes that in some cases, a 10-0 team (ranked in Top 100 by some outlets) could get blown off the field by a 5-5 (unranked) team that played a tougher schedule.  This is why the Tiers was created.

*Not attempting to rank every team, only the ones we discuss on this site.

* The Tiers are fluid and subject to extreme fluctuations early in the year, leveling out as the year progresses.

*Tier placements consider a teams entire body of work, however are weighted heaviest on recent games and game weights decrease in significance in reverse order.  In other words, early road OOS losses to relevant teams can be overcome as the season progresses.

*Teams placed on the same Tier can compete with other same Tier teams and possibly win 2+ of 10. 

*Basically there is a -10 point drop between tiers.  Could vary from a TD to 3 scores depending on the styles of teams playing.  This does not necessarily mean that there is a 30 point difference between Tier 1 and Tier 3, only that the chances of a Tier 3 team beating a Tier 1 team are exponentially less than the chances of a Tier 2 Team beating a Tier 1 team.

*It is possible for a team to lose by 10+ to a team on their same Tier, and still be 10+ points better than teams on the next lowest Tier.

*The Tiers will ultimately be made up of (16) teams per Tier that would form competitive playoff brackets.

*Texas teams generally have not played enough OOS games to gauge properly #crapshoot.  There must be a daisy chain OOS connection for a reference point.  Teams with no OOS daisy chain connection may not be placed on a Tier.  (Texas exempt)

*Tiers are based on exhaustive research, Multiple games watched, and good gut feelings.

*This is a crowd sourced rating. All input will be considered and adjustments will be made as appropriate

I just looked this over. WTF??????

Dude, this is terrible. 

This is freakin' stupid zip code stuff on steroids. 

But, enjoy!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, noonereal said:

I just looked this over. WTF??????

Dude, this is terrible. 

This is freakin' stupid zip code stuff on steroids. 

But, enjoy!

There are “some” leaps of faith, but most of the placements can be  supported.  

This is also “crowd sourced” meaning all are invited to provide info and suggest improvements.

Tier 1 - Mater Dei, IMG,  SJB,  NorthShore (TX), STA, 

Tier 2 -    Folsom, Allen, DLS, Cen10,  St. Louis (Hi),  Miami Central, Carol City, St. Edwards, Duncanville Tx, Archbishop Hoban (OH),  Centennial AZ,

Tier 3 -   John Curtis, Katy, Warren Central (Ind),  Christian Brothers,  West Monroe, Colquitt, ULAB (La), SJC, Gonzaga, DeMatha, St. Iggy (OH), Mentor (OH), SFA, Central (Fresno),  Christopher Columbus (FL), Aledo, Chandler (Az), Colerain (Oh)

Tier 4 -   SJP,  Bergen Catholic,  Jserra, Jokes Christian, Deerfield Beach,  Bishop Gorman, Massilon, (OH),  Milton, Archer, SJR,  Loyola Academy,

Tier 5 -    Hoover,    Lakeland,  Good Council,   Lincoln Way East,  Cartersville, Blessed Trinity,  Mission Viejo, Warner Robbins Ga, AHP,  Cardinal Gibbons,   Lee County Ga,  Trinity Christian (FL), Columbia (Fl).

On 12/2/2018 at 3:56 PM, Sammyswordsman said:

Yeah.  The season isn't over yet though.  I was toying with ending the year with a hypothetical 16 team brackets that would be pretty competitive.  Still may do it, or just delete that line. 

The off season will be long, so go for it.

7 minutes ago, World Citizen said:

Its a trap.  Run and run fast.  Sammy has been known to put ketchup on his steak and insist all those working for the 'Commish' do the same.  Plus he speaks of the Devil a lot, which makes for an uncomfortable working environment.  

😀

What does any of this have to do with me?  Plus I’m vegan

On 12/1/2018 at 12:51 PM, StingMan44 said:

39-0 Centennial at HALF

I just watched a Replay of this game, Well actually, I bowed out at 46-0... 🙂

AZ Cen 10 is a very impressive team, I saw the BG game as well and what strikes me about them is how Physical they are!. On top of that they seem to have great Running Backs and their Defense is one of the best I have seen this year!

They are defiantly a "TIER" under the MD, SJB and IMG Types, So I think TIER 2 is the right placement for them! Very Impressive team!!!

• Like 3

6 hours ago, THEOC89 said:

I just watched a Replay of this game, Well actually, I bowed out at 46-0... 🙂

AZ Cen 10 is a very impressive team, I saw the BG game as well and what strikes me about them is how Physical they are!. On top of that they seem to have great Running Backs and their Defense is one of the best I have seen this year!

They are defiantly a "TIER" under the MD, SJB and IMG Types, So I think TIER 2 is the right placement for them! Very Impressive team!!!

That physicality is what defines the Centennial program and IMO is really impossible to account for just on film. Other teams definitely have more D1 prospects and might be more aesthetically pleasing to watch, but at the end of the night the odds are those other teams will finish with their worst night of the season against the Coyotes. This year's team in particular had incredible depth everywhere aside from the quarterback position.

• Like 1