Grayson

NotBigdaddybloom

47 minutes ago, NotBigdaddybloom said:

I for one am proud That Grayson took an OOS opportunity against a team steeped in OOS contests. It doesn’t always work out like we hope, but what it does provide is a little insight on GA football.

Yea, I have to agree with this. Any team willing to step up and take risky challenges should be applauded. I am kind of happy for BC because no one gave them a chance, and that program as much as anyone puts it on the line year after year. NJ definitely needed a signature  oos win, because there really haven't been any in recent yrs.

It provides insight into a troubled metro team. 

That's about all. 

I put more stock into the North Gwinnett loss than the Grayson loss. I mean, look at the turmoil that Grayson was in just 3 weeks ago. 

Now, the coach has apparently been embattled and on the hot seat his entire tenure. Tough to coach like that, then the kids read the clippings and walk out on the guy. 

File all that in the excuse thread. Idgaf. I don't even like Grayson but a blind man can see that the stuff going on there ain't pretty. 

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, HawgGoneIt said:

It provides insight into a troubled metro team. 

That's about all. 

I put more stock into the North Gwinnett loss than the Grayson loss. I mean, look at the turmoil that Grayson was in just 3 weeks ago. 

Now, the coach has apparently been embattled and on the hot seat his entire tenure. Tough to coach like that, then the kids read the clippings and walk out on the guy. 

File all that in the excuse thread. Idgaf. I don't even like Grayson but a blind man can see that the stuff going on there ain't pretty. 

When Hunnicutt came on here for a Q&A, he seemed like a down to earth good fella. Hes just too inexperienced to be running a program like Grayson. I would love for him to succeed, but hes in a bad spot and I simply don't believe he is going to have much success there.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, ECHS05 said:

When Hunnicutt came on here for a Q&A, he seemed like a down to earth good fella. Hes just too inexperienced to be running a program like Grayson. I would love for him to succeed, but hes in a bad spot and I simply don't believe he is going to have much success there.

The thing is, parents, kids and fans in general can read all the stuff being said. Then they can sieze on it and use it to their advantage. 

I feel bad for Coach Hunnicutt. It's a bad deal for him going on there imo. 

In turn we get threads like this one where it is now suddenly a bad deal for the state too. 

Idk. I figure he's in a pretty tough spot. I'm sure he has thick skin and all, but, yeah, tough stuff.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, ECHS05 said:

That team needs a sports psychologist and maybe a minimum security retreat for the helicopter parents. 

BGW

• Haha 3

59 minutes ago, HawgGoneIt said:

The thing is, parents, kids and fans in general can read all the stuff being said. Then they can sieze on it and use it to their advantage. 

I feel bad for Coach Hunnicutt. It's a bad deal for him going on there imo. 

In turn we get threads like this one where it is now suddenly a bad deal for the state too. 

Idk. I figure he's in a pretty tough spot. I'm sure he has thick skin and all, but, yeah, tough stuff.

? That wasn’t my intention.

48 minutes ago, BUFORDGAWOLVES said:

Here’s a tidbit to marinate on, Coach Herron leaves an opportunity to cement his legacy further with potentially 2 more ‘Ships to retire early to coach in South Carolina?

I got oceanfront for sale in Arizona, cheap.... I swear. 

Regards

AllKnowing Asshole 

Coach Herron already had his tenure to draw a retirement pension from Georgia. A lot of coaches work the system like that. 

If you coach for ten years, you have earned a retirement pension. They can then go to another state and put in ten again and earn another pension. 

It makes financial sense. 

Now, I never understood him going to Grayson for that one season to begin with. That championship will always look tarnished to many in the state, but I don't know how Herron really feels about it. He may cherish it above all others. Who knows? 

Anyway, I agree that Grayson has been a bit of a mess ever since all of that mess went down. 

What they appear to have going on now is pretty wild imo. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, HawgGoneIt said:

Coach Herron already had his tenure to draw a retirement pension from Georgia. A lot of coaches work the system like that. 

If you coach for ten years, you have earned a retirement pension. They can then go to another state and put in ten again and earn another pension. 

It makes financial sense. 

Now, I never understood him going to Grayson for that one season to begin with. That championship will always look tarnished to many in the state, but I don't know how Herron really feels about it. He may cherish it above all others. Who knows? 

Anyway, I agree that Grayson has been a bit of a mess ever since all of that mess went down. 

What they appear to have going on now is pretty wild imo. 

I get that... but these coaches are competitive. Otherwise Rush would hang up his whistle on that premise.

You don’t just up and leave a goldmine of talent that’s poised to make a run at the Ship for the next 3 years. 

The monies gonna be there regardless. 

Regards

BGW

1 minute ago, BUFORDGAWOLVES said:

I get that... but these coaches are competitive. Otherwise Rush would hang up his whistle on that premise.

You don’t just up and leave a goldmine of talent that’s poised to make a run at the Ship for the next 3 years. 

Regards

BGW

I agree. Not sure. I don't think he really ever wanted to go there. I believe they really made it sweet for him somehow. 

Hell, idk. 

Definitely strange coming in for that one crazy season then off to not so greener pastures. 

3 minutes ago, HawgGoneIt said:

I agree. Not sure. I don't think he really ever wanted to go there. I believe they really made it sweet for him somehow. 

Hell, idk. 

Definitely strange coming in for that one crazy season then off to not so greener pastures. 

Yup, it’s a mystery novel in the making....

It doesn’t add up. 

Bet a dollar, Rush took one look and thought “not touching that one”....

High risk, high reward deal but looking to be all risk right now.

BGW

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BUFORDGAWOLVES said:

It doesn’t add up. 

BGW

Herron was planning on leaving anyway so took the one year deal and pretty much said kiss my bass. 

Fred has told the story before, but, the whole thing will always be fishy regardless of how good the story is. 

I believe Fred when he tells me stuff. I at the minimum believe he believes what he's telling me. He's a good one. 

I can't help being skeptical looking on from a distance. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, HawgGoneIt said:

2 hours ago, BUFORDGAWOLVES said:

2 hours ago, HawgGoneIt said:

1 hour ago, BUFORDGAWOLVES said:

It doesn’t add up. 

This is a little long.  I'm doing it like this to try to tie all of this together.

Things become clearer in the fullness of time.  I think there were several factors in Jeff's decision to come.  This is all pure speculation on my part as he never told me anything other than he was glad to be at Grayson.

I think he was intrigued by the opportunity.  It would help to cement his reputation as a great coach.  It would put him back into the "big leagues."  He could continue to live where he was, have a very reasonable commute, and have the chance of doing something he very much wanted to do.  Money wise, we did not make it worth his while to come.  He could only make 50% of the listed salary and I don't think based on what I've been told that the TD club was able to do too much.  He was drawing his full retirement plus the 50% so it isn't like he was hurting.  I really don't think money was the motivation.  I'll get to that in a minute.  We went to him, he didn't come to us.  It took a couple of approaches before he warmed to the idea.  Once he got here, I think the storm was larger than he imagined.  The intense scrutiny by basically *everyone* was no fun.  The egos of some of the kids that came and more importunately the parents made for an intense experience.  I think it took the right situation to come along to make him leave but I don't really feel he was committed like the pig, more like the chicken.  RL Hanna could offer him a lot of money, double or more than what he was making at Grayson, he could continue to collect his retirement while working, it put him very close to a good friend and mentor, and put him where he wants to retire at or near Lake Hartwell.

Now, this is speculation again but I think he wanted the opportunity to tear Rush a new one.  It was a long shot that if it didn't happen would be okay but if it did would be icing on the cake.  Jeff was a running coach and Rush is a passing coach as much as he can depending on his players.  Rush had said in the past that running teams were a thing of the past in GA once he came and started pushing the spread.  There was no love lost between the two especially after the last two meetings were both were decided in the last few seconds and the ya-yaing that accompanied them.  When we went to Moultrie in 2016, I think Jeff had every intention of making a statement and repudiating what Rush was preaching.  Rush had said something along the lines of rushing couldn't win, and the Packers couldn't be run on.  That's a paraphrase to be sure so don't jump all over me about exact quotes.  Other than a very few passes, we ran the ball.  Some went wide, many were up the middle.  Jeff had a point to make and he made it.  After that and the championship, I think he decide that the parents and the push to keep Grayson passing over pure running weren't worth staying for when the right opportunity came along.  Everything he did after the season was geared toward preparing for the next season.  He told me he was looking forward to the next season.

I won't betray confidences for any of the above or what I'm about to say.  Packer fans won't like it but it is the truth as I understand it.  Rush was *very* interested in the Grayson job.  It provided him the chance to go to another team and win a title and that would help his reputation.  I know there were  extensive discussions with Grayson personnel.  I've been told there were multiple reasons for wanting to make the move and I believe what I was told.  Take it for what it is worth.  I won't say more.  I know many Packer fans think it was just a ploy to get a raise at Colquitt.  Rush may have played it like that when we didn't follow through with him but I believe in my soul what I've been told.  It matches too many things from multiple sources.  Since I won't tell my sources I know this will be received with a high degree of skepticism.  So be it.

I think Christian is a good coach.  I think he is in a tough position.  I know there are those that don't want him to be successful.  I think that has been in play this year.  While I like him, my loyalties are not to the current players, the coach, the AD, or the principal.  My loyalties are to Grayson.  I've been through all three coaches, two ADs, and three principles during the years I've been a fan.  I most definitely am not happy about what has transpired.

I hope the experience Friday causes the team to wake up.  Otherwise it will be a very long year.

• Thanks 4

7 hours ago, Fred said:

This is a little long.  I'm doing it like this to try to tie all of this together.

Things become clearer in the fullness of time.  I think there were several factors in Jeff's decision to come.  This is all pure speculation on my part as he never told me anything other than he was glad to be at Grayson.

I think he was intrigued by the opportunity.  It would help to cement his reputation as a great coach.  It would put him back into the "big leagues."  He could continue to live where he was, have a very reasonable commute, and have the chance of doing something he very much wanted to do.  Money wise, we did not make it worth his while to come.  He could only make 50% of the listed salary and I don't think based on what I've been told that the TD club was able to do too much.  He was drawing his full retirement plus the 50% so it isn't like he was hurting.  I really don't think money was the motivation.  I'll get to that in a minute.  We went to him, he didn't come to us.  It took a couple of approaches before he warmed to the idea.  Once he got here, I think the storm was larger than he imagined.  The intense scrutiny by basically *everyone* was no fun.  The egos of some of the kids that came and more importunately the parents made for an intense experience.  I think it took the right situation to come along to make him leave but I don't really feel he was committed like the pig, more like the chicken.  RL Hanna could offer him a lot of money, double or more than what he was making at Grayson, he could continue to collect his retirement while working, it put him very close to a good friend and mentor, and put him where he wants to retire at or near Lake Hartwell.

Now, this is speculation again but I think he wanted the opportunity to tear Rush a new one.  It was a long shot that if it didn't happen would be okay but if it did would be icing on the cake.  Jeff was a running coach and Rush is a passing coach as much as he can depending on his players.  Rush had said in the past that running teams were a thing of the past in GA once he came and started pushing the spread.  There was no love lost between the two especially after the last two meetings were both were decided in the last few seconds and the ya-yaing that accompanied them.  When we went to Moultrie in 2016, I think Jeff had every intention of making a statement and repudiating what Rush was preaching.  Rush had said something along the lines of rushing couldn't win, and the Packers couldn't be run on.  That's a paraphrase to be sure so don't jump all over me about exact quotes.  Other than a very few passes, we ran the ball.  Some went wide, many were up the middle.  Jeff had a point to make and he made it.  After that and the championship, I think he decide that the parents and the push to keep Grayson passing over pure running weren't worth staying for when the right opportunity came along.  Everything he did after the season was geared toward preparing for the next season.  He told me he was looking forward to the next season.

I won't betray confidences for any of the above or what I'm about to say.  Packer fans won't like it but it is the truth as I understand it.  Rush was *very* interested in the Grayson job.  It provided him the chance to go to another team and win a title and that would help his reputation.  I know there were  extensive discussions with Grayson personnel.  I've been told there were multiple reasons for wanting to make the move and I believe what I was told.  Take it for what it is worth.  I won't say more.  I know many Packer fans think it was just a ploy to get a raise at Colquitt.  Rush may have played it like that when we didn't follow through with him but I believe in my soul what I've been told.  It matches too many things from multiple sources.  Since I won't tell my sources I know this will be received with a high degree of skepticism.  So be it.

I think Christian is a good coach.  I think he is in a tough position.  I know there are those that don't want him to be successful.  I think that has been in play this year.  While I like him, my loyalties are not to the current players, the coach, the AD, or the principal.  My loyalties are to Grayson.  I've been through all three coaches, two ADs, and three principles during the years I've been a fan.  I most definitely am not happy about what has transpired.

I hope the experience Friday causes the team to wake up.  Otherwise it will be a very long year.

As a Colquitt fan, I have no doubts that CRP would jump at an opportunity if he thought it was best for him. I make no qualms that the man is an opportunist at his core. He might have been very successful on the field in Grayson, but off the field would have been a trainwreck for him. I won’t say anymore, but I just know that Colquitt has a program in place that can outlast CRP, as long as the next coach is similarly minded.

• Thanks 2
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Drummer61 said:

You might also want to thank GSB 💪💪. and the DBP plus the BNU for starting this whole OOS push over 10 years.....When Bosco went to Calf and beat DLS that really started it....Bosco in 2003, with a powerhouse team,wanted  to play DLS but the sissy State Of NJ would not allow it....No, Bosco and the BNU got all this started....

Another old man that should make very few high school football posts....if any at all.

Welcome to the WWW!

Like ECHS said. Coach Hunnicutt seems like a pretty good guy all around I wont take that away from him. 

And honestly I cant really say he's a terrible coach he's got some solid wins under his belt... 

But he isnt ready for a program like Grayson. 

Honestly I could see him somewhere like a 4A or 5A school... 

I dont wanna be harsh on him because of his time at East Jackson... 

Because to be fair East Jackson didnt have much to work with. 

He has far more things to work with at Grayson. But at the same time he's not using them or doesnt know how to use them... 

He might need to try somewhere else...