Allen vs. East 52- 20

DevilDog

16 minutes ago, Gospeeder said:

That's what differentiates IMO the elite teams from the others. As you pointed out... outside of last years embarrassment, Bingham has gone toe to toe with the best in the country. East reminds me of Phillips... they are a very good team but needs to mature the program a little more before they are really ready to consistently run with the big boys.

I'm pretty ignorant, so correct me if I'm inaccurate when I mention how difficult it's to compete with these national level programs when they get so many transfers into their program.  It seems like some states are relaxing the rules for transfers of athletic reasons.   In one article I read it mentioned that these program's aren't actively recruiting, but the program's success that draw top tier players into it. 

It seems to me that the HS football landscape is evolving pretty rapidly around the country.  We're seeing more national televised games, more OOS match ups and even the advent of the GEICO National High School Bowl Series.  You adapt or get left behind.    

1 minute ago, DevilDog said:

Bro I thought you were the way you were posting and the knowledge you had on the team.  

That's understandable.  I've followed the Bingham Miners for awhile because I really like their program, and if you follow Bingham, you can't miss East.  When I heard about the Allen/East matchup during the off-season, I watched some of their games on youtube and read articles about them, especially the preseason report from a newspaper in Utah. 

15 minutes ago, xXZexxMooreXx said:

I'm pretty ignorant, so correct me if I'm inaccurate when I mention how difficult it's to compete with these national level programs when they get so many transfers into their program.  It seems like some states are relaxing the rules for transfers of athletic reasons.   In one article I read it mentioned that these program's aren't actively recruiting, but the program's success that draw top tier players into it. 

It seems to me that the HS football landscape is evolving pretty rapidly around the country.  We're seeing more national televised games, more OOS match ups and even the advent of the GEICO National High School Bowl Series.  You adapt or get left behind.    

Pretty spot on. You will be a welcome addition here. 

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, PrepGridiron said:

Pretty spot on. You will be a welcome addition here. 

Thanks Gridiron. 

DLS is a program I don't see getting many transfers.  If you look at some of the other heavy hitters in Cali like Centennial, SJB, and MD you'll see articles on unbelievable numbers in transfers they got leading up to the season.  I just don't see that for DLS, but please do correct me if I'm wrong. 

From what I've gathered over the years, DLS is mostly area talent that's been coached exceptionally well with unbelievable discipline.   There have been many DLS stars, but I don't remember seeing them with the number of D1 recruits like the other Cali schools mentioned above.  Yet, they still compete and excel.   I could very well be wrong about DLS, but that's what I've gathered over the years. 

RIP Terrance Kelly

41 minutes ago, xXZexxMooreXx said:

Thanks Gridiron. 

DLS is a program I don't see getting many transfers.  If you look at some of the other heavy hitters in Cali like Centennial, SJB, and MD you'll see articles on unbelievable numbers in transfers they got leading up to the season.  I just don't see that for DLS, but please do correct me if I'm wrong. 

From what I've gathered over the years, DLS is mostly area talent that's been coached exceptionally well with unbelievable discipline.   There have been many DLS stars, but I don't remember seeing them with the number of D1 recruits like the other Cali schools mentioned above.  Yet, they still compete and excel.   I could very well be wrong about DLS, but that's what I've gathered over the years. 

RIP Terrance Kelly

They get transfers, but definitely not to the degree/frequency of the SoCal programs. Partly a DLS process and partly due to restrictions placed on it by the governing body, the NCS. The biggest recent upper class transfer I can think of is Khalil McKenzie. He was a beast his junior year but tranfered out his Sr year. So only one year in the silver and green. 

31 minutes ago, PrepGridiron said:

They get transfers, but definitely not to the degree/frequency of the SoCal programs. Partly a DLS process and partly due to restrictions placed on it by the governing body, the NCS. The biggest recent upper class transfer I can think of is Khalil McKenzie. He was a beast his junior year but tranfered out his Sr year. So only one year in the silver and green. 

So what I've gathered over the years was pretty accurate.  It's predominately the process of developing players that's the success of DLS.  When you don't generally have the transfers nor start with the level of recruits your opposition have,   you've got to be really well coached in the fundamentals and disciplined to compete.  DLS not only competes, but they excel in what they do.  

One of the reasons I like watching them is because they are so fundamentally sound and it's like watching a choreographed show.  Also the team has great sportsmanship to add to it.  What is the secret to that?  I've thought about, I've read articles about it and what I've got from it is that the kids are just upstanding people in general.  A really good community as well as school. 

I'm an outsider looking in so my perception maybe skewed.  I remember, but not perfectly, years ago this football team in Ohio called Glenville in the early 2000's.  I remember watching them as an outsider of Ohio football while hearing they were one of the most athletic and talented teams in Ohio and maybe in the country.  It was said they were one of the most undisciplined and struggled to take the next step forward.

At the time it reminded me of Lufkin, which was one of the most athletic teams in the state but also one of the most undisciplined.  It just shows how important discipline is in life as well as football.  I've been told throughout my life that, if you want to be successful in any area, you learn from those that are the best in that area.  Maybe more programs can learn something from DLS if they put aside their ego and pride.     

2 hours ago, xXZexxMooreXx said:

That's a good point, Bingham is on another level compared to East.  It's also that one team East can't seem to get over as well.  I'd consider Bingham one of the elite programs, maybe not in the top echelon of programs, but certainly much better than most. 

Bingham competed [33 - 25] with St. Thomas (FL) in 2016, a team that only lost by a point in overtime against that great Bishop Gorman team led by Tate Martell.  So, I'd say Bingham had to have been pretty dang good that year! 

Bingham had to score like 3 TDs in the final 5 mins to make the STA game look respectable... Just sayin

8 minutes ago, ECHS05 said:

Bingham had to score like 3 TDs in the final 5 mins to make the STA game look respectable... Just sayin

Note well taken! 

In 2005 the Longhorns had to score twelve or more points in the final six minutes to defeat 2-Heisman USC in the NC.  I was just making a joke, but anything can happen right? 

I got your point though.  So it was just mop-up duty that made it look like that. 

10 minutes ago, ECHS05 said:

I had saved an article around that time of a team that boasted twenty one transfers.  I ended up losing it after a restore, but I my vague memory keeps thinking it was STA or Centennial (CA). 

7 minutes ago, ECHS05 said:

Prestonwood Christian TX 13, Greater Atlanta Christian GA 7

Is that a 4 quarter score? I know it was delayed a bit due to weather

Final Score. 

Given your avatar, I'd assume your from Georgia.  If you are, who is Greater Atlanta Christian ?  What are they about? 

9 minutes ago, xXZexxMooreXx said:

Final Score. 

Given your avatar, I'd assume your from Georgia.  If you are, who is Greater Atlanta Christian ?  What are they about? 

3A school... One of the very few decent privates in GA

Usually a Top 3-5 3A school... This year being no different. Have a 5* on the OL, and a 5* on the DL, brothers I think

You want to  know the damn truth...East did not belong on the field with Allen. 

This was complete and total mismatch,

Allen has good skill kids and they flashed big plays most of the night,  however, their trench play on both sides of ball is what makes them special.  Allen has serious big time players on the OL that made their 2nd RB look like really good,   Allen’s #1 RB did not play.

Defensively this group is fast-  The front seven was dominate and they played a lot of kids early and often.  At least 10 times in the game they hit the RB and QB in the backfield at the same time at the mesh point.

IMO Allen could have beat them much more had they really wanted to.

Allen played a lot of kids in this game on both sides of the ball from start to finish.

Your not going to come in Texas and play our big boys and win with these old school “ Veer, double wing , straight T, wing T” offenses like East ran tonight,  see California state champs DLS vs Trinity.

This Allen team matches up just fine with anyone from anywhere!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ECHS05 said:

3A school... One of the very few decent privates in GA

Usually a Top 3-5 3A school... This year being no different. Have a 5* on the OL, and a 5* on the DL, brothers I think

So not in the same league as the big boys of Georgia.  NoleBull posted the video feed of the game, and it was a very competitive game.  GA had and opportunity to take the game as well.  They looked pretty even to me, it might go the other way if it was a best of series.   

3 minutes ago, xXZexxMooreXx said:

So not in the same league as the big boys of Georgia.  NoleBull posted the video feed of the game, and it was a very competitive game.  GA had and opportunity to take the game as well.  They looked pretty even to me, it might go the other way if it was a best of series.   

Not in the same league as the big boys no, but a pretty good small class team most years

2 hours ago, Texasball said:

You want to  know the damn truth...East did not belong on the field with Allen. 

This was complete and total mismatch,

Allen has good skill kids and they flashed big plays most of the night,  however, their trench play on both sides of ball is what makes them special.  Allen has serious big time players on the OL that made their 2nd RB look like really good,   Allen’s #1 RB did not play.

Defensively this group is fast-  The front seven was dominate and they played a lot of kids early and often.  At least 10 times in the game they hit the RB and QB in the backfield at the same time at the mesh point.

IMO Allen could have beat them much more had they really wanted to.

Allen played a lot of kids in this game on both sides of the ball from start to finish.

Your not going to come in Texas and play our big boys and win with these old school “ Veer, double wing , straight T, wing T” offenses like East ran tonight,  see California state champs DLS vs Trinity.

This Allen team matches up just fine with anyone from anywhere!

The Trinity/DLS game was one play from being a reversed outcome, hardly what I'd call proof of dominance.  Not only was the game one play from an opposite outcome, it was also an away game for DLS that traveled some seventeen hundred miles to play.  Homefield advantage is a real phenomenon in human psychology as we preform more to our potential in environments we are familiar with.  DLS had never experienced that environment in their entire lives and competed.  

Euless Trinity traveled around two thousand miles to Bellevue, WA in an overtime defeat [31 - 24] in 2012.  What kind of offense does Bellevue run?  Interestingly, that game was also one play from being it's opposite outcome.  I only mention this to give some perspective that might be lost through bias. 

I used to be (young and proud and egotistic) regarding Texas HS Football.  I once played HS football myself, even took steroids when I was sixteen only to throw it all away because I missed the bigger picture of what team sports are all about. 

To be present in the moment, to be challenged and to persevere through it all together as one.  To meet success and setbacks accepting all responsibility for both.  To have ended better than you started.  That's football.  That's life. 

For any team that experienced defeat last night, or will ever experience defeat in the future, I hope that those programs have the leadership to make the connection between that experience and that of the world as an adult.  Sometimes you're going to get your butt whooped, and that's okay.  What are you going to do about it?  Are you going to CHOOSE to throw in the towel, or are you going to CHOOSE to preserve and grow through that experience.   

Everybody we'll ever met in our short lives on this Earth and every program you'll ever read about will have suffered some kind of defeat along their way to greatness.  So for Utah East making their long journey back home today, this is the the perfect opportunity for leaders to emerge.  To pick the team back up and to lead them to greatness on their journey ahead.       

For those that have suffered a setback, maybe you can learn from Bellevue:

Bellevue pays tribute to Katy

Monday, December 7, 2009

So before the trophy presentation began, the Bellevue players all huddled up and one player - senior running back Sean Coley - ran towards the players, who tossed him high in the air.

The routine - a trust exercise- is something the Katy Tigers of Texas, Bellevue's week two opponents, do before each and every game.

"It's a respect thing; we have so much respect for that team," said senior linebacker and tight end Nick Moyer. "We represented them because we like them."

Bellevue seniors go out strong

After their loss to Grant of Sacramento in week three, the Wolverines were 1-2, a position that no senior on the roster had ever been in.

"Right after that game, we were down," said lineman Jake Hiller. "But that next day, we just got right back to work and look where it got us."

The team moved on, won 11 games in a row and capped off the seniors capped off their careers with the seventh state title of the decade for the team.

"Those losses made us stronger and I wouldn't have it any other way," said senior quarterback Joe Joe Conner. "Those losses to Katy and Grant, I wouldn't take them back. They taught us a lot and made us a better team."

"They didn't quit," added Bellevue coach Butch Goncharoff. "When people doubted them, and things weren't going well, they didn't quit. They hung in there and got it done."

https://www.seattlepi.com/local/sound/article/STATE-FOOTBALL-NOTEBOOK-Bellevue-pays-tribute-to-894223.php

7 minutes ago, GardenStateBaller said:

Loved this matchup of power privates from public-dominant hsfb states. 

It's was a game that could have gone either way.  Fantastic competition and thank Nolebull813 for sharing the video stream earlier. 

8 minutes ago, GardenStateBaller said:

I'm convinced that one day the privates below will be able to compete in every way with their instate power public brethren. 

GA: BT, GAC, Marist, Pius, Benedictine 

TX: PC, Dunne, Lynch, TC, Pius

Are you convinced or hopeful they will eventually compete?  There is a difference. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, GardenStateBaller said:

They're competing now recruiting-wise. Didn't Dunne have 2-3 of TXs top college recruits entering this season? That's a start. 

Yes, but what they are significantly lacking is coaching and to some degree resources such as strength and conditioning. And both of those require $$.  

They need a wealthy benefactor to infuse big $$ for football and close the gap.  

East hasn’t been a good team the last 2 years. They did have a solid physical  squad when they beat a poor DLS team. 

I don’t know if beating dls gave them false hope or what not but they shouldn’t be scheduling teams like allen or img. Beat beat bingham first .... 

• Like 1