Fly’s TX TAPPS report card (pre district)

Horsefly

13 minutes ago, DevilDog said:

Sir but do you think there will be a repeat of what Dville did to Dunne with their kids leaving and playing with a Public Power.  Still the UIL teams are a big draw.  I said I wanted Dunne to beat Desoto just to see the meltdown and Texas HS Coaches then refusing to play them.  That is one cantankerous bunch to say the least.   By the way I think the Deion Factor and those other NFL Coaches will attract people to T.C. Cedar Hill and of all the teams in DFW they might rise above all of them.  Prestonwood has been pretty good for a while. 

I think the top UIL teams will go untouched.  Allen, ET, Duncanville, cedar hill, etc.  b/c there's nothing to gain going private.  Those schools also have a realistic chance to win and be competitive for a UIL,title.  I think the attraction will be the kids that are top athletes that are at poor programs.  The DFW is full of them.  The privates have improved their image enough they will now become attractive.  

Agree on TC too.  Its the best of both worlds.  They still will get college looks, they can win a title at TC,  (these wins and close games show that there's value in winning a TAPPS title) travel OOS and be a part of Deion's and the other NFL veterans connections.  You can't beat that.

dunne is interesting in how they play the odds with talent.  Although they lost to two 4**** athletes to DV, they had picked up two 4**** athletes from other schools.  Both in the 2020 class.(TE and RB)

5 minutes ago, DevilDog said:

I think they have as well.  They progressed enough that I have seen 3 of them.  All decent teams.  T.C. Cedar Hill to me had the best athletes of the bunch and the best of the 3.  I found all 3 to be very well coached.  But it is strange as hell to go to Texas HS game and sat in the stands with 200 people  rooting for a team.  They draw 1A crowds when travelling.  Hell Dunne and Desoto played at the athletic complex in the South and they still didn't draw.  They did well OOS and against the small school powers for the most part.  I don't think TAPPS is better than 4A.  Even with all those athletes and their size Melissa and T.C. was neck and neck and that was a fluke win at the end.  

Prestonwood and St. Pius are supposed to be the top dogs.  I will check out Prestonwood in the next few weeks.  

Beating Melissa is probably the best Victory for TAPPS this year.  

Dunne killed Cornerstone who you can see is becoming a Headache.   Dunne 48 - 0. 

After San Antonio Cornerstone withdrew from TAPPS for all sports right before the start of the football season, Fort Worth All Saints dropped Cornerstone from its schedule. Bishop Dunne will not do the same thing. Bishop Dunne will still host Cornerstone at 7 p.m. Friday. Bishop Dunne coach Michael Johnson said in a text message Tuesday that he was concerned about Cornerstone leaving TAPPS, but that his school had signed a contract for the game before Cornerstone's withdrawal from the private school organization.   Channel 4 News in San Antonio reported that Cornerstone came under fire from local administrators and coaches because of the school's aggressive tactics for trying to add transfers to its athletic programs. TAPPS district officials declared seven of Cornerstone's first eight transfer applicants ineligible because of violations of TAPPS rules, according to Channel 4 News. A 

Cornerstone media advisor Ari Morgenstern told the San Antonio Express-News in Augustthat the school had 400 transfer students, including 19 athletes. Morgenstern said about half of the athletes were football players.

Dunne, No. 3 in SportsDay's large private school area rankings, is 1-2 after Saturday's 19-7 loss to DeSoto, the area's fifth-ranked UIL Class 6A team. Cornerstone is 2-0, with wins over Life Christian Academy from Virginia and Boerne Geneva.

Dunne lost a pair of four-star recruits when wide receiver/defensive back Marquez Beason and his cousin, wide receiver Zeriah Beason, transferred to Duncanville in August. Bishop Dunne has used three quarterbacks -- Matthew Yelverton, Peyton Culberson and Simeon Evans -- and Jabari Khepera leads the team in receiving with 15 catches for 168 yards and two touchdowns.

Last paragraph-  IMO is the truth of the entire argumement.  To play the best most competitive ball you need be in Texas UIL.

The proof is in flys rankings.  #3 ranked team was a fluck 90 yard pass with time running out to beat 4A Melissa.

We like Melissa as a 4A team.  They are solid might not even win their district vs Argyle.  

Prestonwood beat Wylie who is 0-4 -  Two teams that beat them only have 1  win so far which is against Wylie the other team is Jesuit who is 2-2 on the year.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Horsefly said:

I really don't think they need to compete with the UIL in general to get where they want to nor do I think they need to target Allen or other kids from top programs.

they can use these games as a recruiting tool along with good academics, the potential to win a TAPPS title, which now has some legitimacy to it.  I think their target are the top players at some of the lesser schools like SGP, Arlington, Hebron.  That regardless of how hard they work will not compete for a UIL 6A title at their current schools.  The worst thing for Desoto is to show that dunne was competitive with them on the field, whether they are actually good or not is not important. Kids stand a better chance winning a title at dunne than at Desoto and won't lose ground on the college recruiting trail. That is the selling point. 

Not happening -  2 kids left dunne for Duncanville.  Better coaching more competitive league way better facilities and chance to play for the true Texas title.

4 minutes ago, Texasball said:

Last paragraph-  IMO is the truth of the entire argumement.  To play the best most competitive ball you need be in Texas UIL.

The proof is in flys rankings.  #3 ranked team was a fluck 90 yard pass with time running out to beat 4A Melissa.

We like Melissa as a 4A team.  They are solid might not even win their district vs Argyle.  

Prestonwood beat Wylie who is 0-4 -  Two teams that beat them only have 1  win so far which is against Wylie the other team is Jesuit who is 2-2 on the year.

That's probably true.  But they are making their mark playing OOS and can improve on scheduling.  To me it's obvious they are regionalizing their games.  They've played LA and Ark.  and a few teams in Texas.  Next they will expand out until they are completely national like the other privates.  IMG, and a few privates back east don't play in their respective state's sanctioned leagues.  

8 minutes ago, Texasball said:

Not happening -  2 kids left dunne for Duncanville.  Better coaching more competitive league way better facilities and chance to play for the true Texas title.

But they picked up two transfers too, both 3-4****.  their target doesn't have to be DV and or  Allen players, but athletes from lesser programs.  That's where the two transfers they picked up played.(Royce city and one of the Mansfield schools)  If not dunne, they have PCA, TC cedar hill or lynch to choose from as well.  

8 minutes ago, Champa said:

T.C. Cedar Hill doesn't have to rely solely on Texas for their kids. One of their best players is from Massachusetts. 

Coach Prime really wants that mini IMG.

I expect them to be even better next year. Will be interesting.

Me too.  That's probably a reason he went to Fla.  he also has some kids that transferred from outside the DFW area.  (5***** CB, 2020 class, Dwight mcglothern transferred from new Caney)

3 minutes ago, GardenStateBaller said:

Ballers will go where they can start faster. State titles don't mean squat like they used to. It's now all about getting that first offer ASAP. 

I can’t speak to elsewhere,but titles are a big deal here still and the TAPPS title has increased its value.  That helps a lot along with starting and getting offers.  

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, DevilDog said:

You know they have risen when you got Texans discussing the Privates.  Even I watched three of them this year and that's unheard of I'd never seen them prior to this season in person.  I needed to judge them myself not some third-person account.  Prestonwood will be the next one I watch in a few weeks

Bingo!    Honestly, privates weren't viewed as much.  Clearly a far inferior product, that perception gap has closed some. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Horsefly said:

Bingo!    Honestly, privates weren't viewed as much.  Clearly a far inferior product, that perception gap has closed some. 

They are very well coached.  T.C. look like a 6A team up close.  I also think it proves how much 4A has improved as well with head up games against them and 5A. L.C. looks like a big 5A and Dunne big as well. J.C. ECA. Desoto, Melissa Byrd etc.  Not one embarrassed those TAPPS schools.  And It is believed 2 others are better than those 3.  

6 minutes ago, DevilDog said:

They are very well coached.  T.C. look like a 6A team up close.  I also think it proves how much 4A has improved as well with head up games against them and 5A. L.C. looks like a big 5A and Dunne big as well. J.C. ECA. Desoto, Melissa Byrd etc.  Not one embarrassed those TAPPS schools.  And It is believed 2 others are better than those 3.  

Something else I've noticed this year.  There are several TAPPS games on ESPN.  I don't think there is one slated for publics.  Now that could be b/c of Friday night restrictions, but they are getting exposure that they weren't before. 

Some body behind the scenes is working with these privates to get them out front. 

17 minutes ago, Ararar said:

Fellas you’re scaring the hell out of T-Ball.Privates becoming relevant in Texas is his worst nightmare 

Lol.  Yeah, I don’t think there are a lot of Texans happy to see privates going forward.  

He probably knows the progress of privates better than most b/c of his connections. 

@Texasball    Are some of there privates making investments into modernized weight rooms like some of these publics are doing? 

1 hour ago, Horsefly said:

That's probably true.  But they are making their mark playing OOS and can improve on scheduling.  To me it's obvious they are regionalizing their games.  They've played LA and Ark.  and a few teams in Texas.  Next they will expand out until they are completely national like the other privates.  IMG, and a few privates back east don't play in their respective state's sanctioned leagues.  

IMHO I don’t see these teams getting much better...maybe from time to time nothing significant 

33 minutes ago, Horsefly said:

Lol.  Yeah, I don’t think there are a lot of Texans happy to see privates going forward.  

I am not worried about it.  More power to them if they keep getting better.   I just believe they are a lot farther away from being elite than you realize.

most of them are doing good to beat a Texas 4A.

22 minutes ago, Texasball said:

I am not worried about it.  More power to them if they keep getting better.   I just believe they are a lot farther away from being elite than you realize.

most of them are doing good to beat a Texas 4A.

May be right.  We’ll see how well they do going forward.  I think it’s about their top 10 than anyone else and not the entire league though.  They have some wins in 5A and 6A.

10 minutes ago, Ararar said:

3 years ago could they compete at 4A?

In the past 2-3 years they whipped a 6A 7-4 playoff team (deer park) and an eventual 5A D2 state champ last season. They’ve knocked off a few lower level 5As and 6As but the above along with the close 19-7 loss to desoto are their best big school performances.  

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Texasball said:

This was to be BD most talented team.

they split against average Louisiana teams and got beat by Desoto.

The teams have improved but they really are long Way from the top,

Isn’t the goal to be the best? 

BD would have been better had the two cousins not transferred.  But they still don’t represent the best of the privates.  PCA and St Pius X are.  PCA was beating liberty Christian 35-0 after the 1st qtr. 

I get to bring up last year as you did pointing out LC beat Melissa.

Melissa best two players were sophomores last year and that was early season. They progressed as season went

.Gilmer beat LC by 50 or more

LC beat Dunne the first time.

you need to let these games play out Didn’t Dunne only lose by 1 against one of these teams last year in the playoffs.