Fly’s TX TAPPS report card (pre district)

Horsefly

1 hour ago, Champa said:

St Pius loses A LOT of players this year. We'll see if they can reload or not next year. I think Deion will be around for at least 3 - 4 years at Trinity Christian. If they can make a name for themselves before then, him leaving won't matter as much.

True on Pius, look out for episcopal though.  They have some exceptional underclass guys on the OL:  

6 hours ago, DevilDog said:

I think they will get better.  I wouldn't want to play T.C. in week 10.  off to NC for business back late Friday can't get to a game.  District should be starting for many.  I might even go to a TAPPS playoff this year.  I respect them and said that after seeing them.  The 3 I saw are no worse than most of the teams in 4A - 6A.  Midland Christian was a DII power for years and moved to DI.  They been kicking 6A teams ass from El Paso for years.  Again most teams are not elite in any class but the elite ones will be very damn good in the next class and above.   Aledo, Carthage and Newton as examples.  We have games with ranked 4A and 5A this year.  There was no clear separation between them and 4A DI smacked them. The best of TAPPS would compete well. 

For what is worth - Midland Christian played 3A Brock and Wall High Schools in 2017 and 2016

They went 1-1 vs both of them...

IMO - Trinity Christian will continue to have solid players while the Sanders kids are playing.  I believe once they finish he will move on to something else and the football team will go back to being just another TX private school.

There is a lot of teams that would do well jumping up in class.  For example.

Carthage - would do well in 5A -  probably not going to win that title 

Aledo - would do well in 6A  - probably not going to win that title 

Newton is the only school that I would bet on this year that could jump levels and still win state championship.

I am not talking about from D2 to D1 with the same A's -  I am talking 3A to 4A or 4A to 5A or 5A to 6A

I am more impressed that these smaller public schools can hang with the majority of top tapps league.

I believe everyone is jumping the gun on is the best.

Here is what we know already 

Melissa being 4A school is on the level of Trinity Christian and Bishop Lynch based on the games.   Melissa is above Liberty Christian and All Saints - based on Melissa beating LC and the score between Trinity Christian vs All Saints ( I believe TC won that game by 20)

People might be impressed that Dunne only lost to Desoto 19-7 -  I see be careful with that -  I am not sold on just how good Desoto will prove to be.  Nor I am sold that the best couple of teams in Tapps is more than a TD better than Dunne.  For all we know Dunne, TC, or Lynch might prove to be the best Tapps team.  

Time and games played will fill in the answers

2 hours ago, GardenStateBaller said:

2 states, but it did put them on the map nationally and got them 2 MNCs. Every TAPPS team is capable of replicating. The IMG of TX will be here eventually. 

Yall remember TX Frog?  His wife's little brother played at DBP and is now playing college football up in the NE -  He told us point blank that they had guys on the teams from 4 or 5 states.

Anything is possible - Just don't count on seeing the IMG of TX 

Well actually already have teams on that level - see Allen and maybe North Shore

15 minutes ago, Texasball said:

St. Pius beat Dunne 35-28 last year with Dunne starting Freshman QB

The difference between PC, STP, Dunne, Lynch, and TC isn't very much 

St pius and PCA were both in the SC game last year.  They were the 2 best teams.  

PCA beat both St pius and dunne.  They beat dunne 22-6. PCA returned 14 starters this year, they'll be tough for dunne to beat. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, GardenStateBaller said:

Not true. Never. He was exaggerating. The most ever at one time was 3: NJ, NY and CT (one player ever/Steele Divitto). We've be through this ad nauseum over the years. 

OmG you said 2 now it’s 3 - which is it?

i personally have had conversations with some NJ private coaches at the AFCA and what I respect is they don’t mind telling you that they recruit.

23 minutes ago, Texasball said:

St Pius has good group of kids right now.  What happens in the coming years.  There is no evidence that they will keep playing at this level and they have championship history in Tapps.  I looked at every year going back to 2004:  They have history of getting beat by 3A schools all the way through the 2015 season.  

All programs have a cycle of dominance, plano, Permian, lamarque, Celina, etc. nothing is sustainable forever.  

On 9/23/2018 at 10:58 PM, Texasball said:

They can’t recruit good enough year in and year out and most do not have the program to go with it even when they are loaded.  See Dunne and all there recent results.

Let the games play out to see who really is the best -  

when comparing scores Right now TX 4A Melissa is on par with Big boy Lynch and above All Saints.

Dunne lost 12 stars b4 the season for a 300 person School every star counts!

• Like 1

On 9/23/2018 at 2:57 PM, Horsefly said:

Something else I've noticed this year.  There are several TAPPS games on ESPN.  

Yeah but ESPN has always been attracted to private/no boundary programs so that's not really shocking to me. UIL has more of a relationship with Fox Sports.

Just look at the schedule..out of 20 teams involved 11 are private.

In 2017, 22 teams were involved, 12 were private.

In 2016, 20 teams were involved, a whopping 18 were private.

List goes on and on.. and most of the time whenever they do decide to put a public on there.. it's a public that has access to any athlete in the city through magnet programs or other loopholes.

13 minutes ago, WulfTangClan said:

Yeah but ESPN has always been attracted to private/no boundary programs so that's not really shocking to me. UIL has more of a relationship with Fox Sports.

Just look at the schedule..out of 20 teams involved 11 are private.

In 2017, 22 teams were involved, 12 were private.

In 2016, 20 teams were involved, a whopping 18 were private.

List goes on and on.. and most of the time whenever they do decide to put a public on there.. it's a public that has access to any athlete in the city through magnet programs or other loopholes.

All true, but TAPPS has never been a part of that scheduling before. They will be on  twice this year. 

On 9/24/2018 at 6:53 AM, RedZone said:

The educational aspect of TAPPS can't be dismissed either.

This is so heavily misleading though when it comes to Texas.

Not saying TAPPS doesn't have good education, but Texas ain't Lousiana. You can go to a public in Texas and still get a quality education without question.

A few years back I had a little cousin leave Dallas Christian and go back to his zoned school (Mesquite Horn) not only because the tuition was getting high, but because his folks realized that Horn actually offered more programs academically. He's at Rice now.

Now, I know this isn't true everywhere. If I live in Louisiana or South Carolina for example... I'm sending my kid to private school no doubt. But here, there's still quality in education within the public sector which is only part of the reason you're not going to see an IMG or John Curtis in Texas anytime soon.

9 minutes ago, WulfTangClan said:

Not saying TAPPS doesn't have good education, but Texas ain't Lousiana. You can go to a public in Texas and still get a quality education without question.

A few years back I had a little cousin leave Dallas Christian and go back to his zoned school (Mesquite Horn) not only because the tuition was getting high, but because his folks realized that Horn actually offered more programs academically. He's at Rice now.

Now, I know this isn't true everywhere. If I live in Louisiana or South Carolina for example... I'm sending my kid to private school no doubt. But here, there's still quality in education within the public sector which is only part of the reason you're not going to see an IMG or John Curtis in Texas anytime soon.

He qualified his statement though.  Overcrowded, low performing public schools aren’t the answer compared to a good private.  

1 hour ago, WulfTangClan said:

Thank you.  This is god honest truth.  The vast majority of our schools are not over crowded-  we either have schools big enough or we keep building new schools.

• Thumbs Down 1