NYHSFAN33: Bishop Loughlin (Brooklyn, N.Y.)?

RedZone

Nice Tourney in NOLA this coming week......some high quality squads.

https://crescentcitysports.com/allstate-sugar-bowl-national-prep-basketball-classic-tips-off-january-2/

The boys’ national bracket features top seed Bishop Loughlin (Brooklyn, N.Y.), Carver (Montgomery, Ala.), Christ School (Arden, N.C.), Lee (Huntsville, Ala.), Lakewood Ranch (Bradenton, Fla.), Miami (Fla.) Palmetto, St. Rita of Cascia (Chicago, Ill.), Silsbee (Texas) and White Station (Memphis, Tenn.). Carver and Lee feature two of the top recruits in the class of 2019 in Jaykwon Walton and Kobe Brown, respectively.

Bishop Laughlin always a solid squad.  They play in the NYC Catholic School league (Brooklyn / Queens Division).  They are always a threat to win the league.  It’s a damn tough league to win though.  Their most famous basketball alumni would probably be former Knick Mark Jackson.  Not sure of the specifics of this years team but you can bet they will have plenty of athleticism.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, NYHSFAN33 said:

Bishop Laughlin always a solid squad.  They play in the NYC Catholic School league (Brooklyn / Queens Division).  They are always a threat to win the league.  Their most famous basketball alumni would probably be former Knick Mark Jackson.  Not sure of the specifics of this years team but you can bet they will have plenty of athleticism.

I saw they are #12 in NY per Maxpreps....currently (7-0)

http://www.maxpreps.com/high-schools/bishop-loughlin-lions-(brooklyn,ny)/basketball/home.htm

3 minutes ago, RedZone said:

They will have a lot of tough games when they get into league play. I think Christ the King is the favorite in their division.  The NYC Catholic School league always has a lot of questionable characters in play:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nydailynews.com/sports/college/nyc-hoops-no-stranger-basketball-scandals-fbi-case-included-article-1.3869054%3foutputType=amp

24 minutes ago, GardenStateBaller said:

@NYHSFAN33 I'm at Iona today watching the Gaels host Holy Cross. Just had a nice conversation with Pat Kennedy, who I worked with when I was at FSU in the early 90s. His son is an asst coach w HC. 

Great memories of Iona hoops with Jimmy V and Pat. 

I am a Manhattan Jasper myself, but my wife graduated from Iona.  Manhattan is terrible this season, but over the years there have been a lot of memorable Jasper / Gael matchups to look forward to in the MAAC.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, RedZone said:

Silsbee won Texas 4A last year beating  Dallas Carter 104-101.....bet that was a game.

Lakwwood Ranch is a 8A school in Florida, Solid last year at 24-5.......currently 7-2

They've won it two years in a row now. They've been to the state finals three times in a row. Lost to Dallas Lincoln the first year they went.

I'm afraid they're gonna get their butts kicked if they play Bishop Laughlin.

They're too inconsistent right now. Just lost to Dallas Skyline. They didn't even bother to show up and make it a game till the second half in that one.

24 minutes ago, MA Fan said:

Watched Bishop Loughlin beat Archbishop Wood a few days ago. The Champagnie twins will be good for about 40 points and a few highlight dunks a game, they didn't really have anyone else that stood out.

Thanks - haven’t seen Loughlin this season yet.  Will see them when they get deeper into CHSAA play

The team Bishop Loughlin opens up with is Walker (Baton Rouge).....Walker won Louisiana 5A last year, but lost 3 or 4 guys off that squad.

They have 2 pretty good players and are currently 14-4 and #18 in La per Maxpreps..

G Jalen Cook (offers: LSU, Georgetown, Houston)

https://247sports.com/Player/Jalen-Cook-46048542/high-school-204961/?Sport=2

SF Brian Thomas (offers LSU and Texas A&M)

https://247sports.com/Player/Brian-Thomas-Jr-46054270/

2 hours ago, RedZone said:

The team Bishop Loughlin opens up with is Walker (Baton Rouge).....Walker won Louisiana 5A last year, but lost 3 or 4 guys off that squad.

They have 2 pretty good players and are currently 14-4 and #18 in La per Maxpreps..

G Jalen Cook (offers: LSU, Georgetown, Houston)

https://247sports.com/Player/Jalen-Cook-46048542/high-school-204961/?Sport=2

SF Brian Thomas (offers LSU and Texas A&M)

https://247sports.com/Player/Brian-Thomas-Jr-46054270/

don't bet against the kids from NYC...😉

5 hours ago, GardenStateBaller said:

@NYHSFAN33 I'm at Iona today watching the Gaels host Holy Cross. Just had a nice conversation with Pat Kennedy, who I worked with when I was at FSU in the early 90s. His son is an asst coach w HC. 

Great memories of Iona hoops with Jimmy V and Pat. 

I went to Iona...Jimmy V was way ahead of your time..Kennedy was there when I was there...Steve Burtt...Gary Springer..Rory Grimes..Tony Hargraves...they had some nice talent and teams back in the day...Chris Mullin use to come to the school a play some pick up games...a lot of coaches use Iona to move on to bigger programs..the coach at Seton Hall now came from Iona..

8 minutes ago, DBP66 said:

I went to Iona...Jimmy V was way ahead of your time..Kennedy was there when I was there...Steve Burtt...Gary Springer..Rory Grimes..Tony Hargraves...they had some nice talent and teams back in the day...Chris Mullin use to come to the school a play some pick up games...a lot of coaches use Iona to move on to bigger programs..the coach at Seton Hall now came from Iona..

Yup - Iona and Manhattan have always been “stepping stones” which is why it is surprising Cluess has been there so long 

• Like 1

Some updates being I started the thing...

Bishop Loughlin (Brooklyn, N.Y.) too much for Walker (Baton Rouge) 78-60 Final

Lakewood Ranch, FL 74 Slsbee, TX 56 Final

Bishop Loughlin, NY vs Lakewood Ranch, FL tomorrow.

Scotlandville (Baton  Rouge), who is ranked in some of the national polls up on White Station (Memphis, TN) 67-44 in the 4th

The Finals will be streamed live.....will post if anyone is interested..

17 minutes ago, Champa said:

Damn we're playing some garbage ass basketball. Not even playing our style of b-ball from what I heard from someone who watched the game. Pathetic. Need to get it together. Probably gonna lose the next game also. Coach needs to light fire under someone's ass.

Lakewood Ranch, FL is #9 in Florida 8A......

36 minutes ago, RedZone said:

Some updates being I started the thing...

Bishop Loughlin (Brooklyn, N.Y.) too much for Walker (Baton Rouge) 78-60 Final

Lakewood Ranch, FL 74 Slsbee, TX 56 Final

Bishop Loughlin, NY vs Lakewood Ranch, FL tomorrow.

Scotlandville (Baton  Rouge), who is ranked in some of the national polls up on White Station (Memphis, TN) 67-44 in the 4th

The Finals will be streamed live.....will post if anyone is interested..

Alot of OOS teams in this event.  Always a good experience for the kids.  I doubt many of the kids on Loughlin go outside of the 5 boros for the most part except for basketball tourneys.

On 12/30/2018 at 2:29 PM, NYHSFAN33 said:

I am a Manhattan Jasper myself, but my wife graduated from Iona.  Manhattan is terrible this season, but over the years there have been a lot of memorable Jasper / Gael matchups to look forward to in the MAAC.

Saint Peter’s Peacock here. Anytime we can beat the “Gals”, it’s a good thing. Looking forward to the MAAC season. Good luck to the Jaspers.

• Like 1

Two for the good guys.

Madison Prep (Baton Rouge) beats Palmetto (Miami) 50-48......Palmetto is #6 in Florida 9A

Sophie B. Wright (NOLA) upsets Alabama's #2 team Lee (Huntsville) 66-55

Sophie B. putting together a nice season...tough loss to Georgia's #2 team Wheeler earlier this year (63-59)....

http://www.maxpreps.com/high-schools/wright-(new-orleans,la)/basketball/schedule.htm

Madison Prep and Sophie B. Wright are Top 10 teams in Louisiana..

• Like 1

1 hour ago, paladin4ever said:

Saint Peter’s Peacock here. Anytime we can beat the “Gals”, it’s a good thing. Looking forward to the MAAC season. Good luck to the Jaspers.

Haha - they will need it.  They are TERRIBLE this year.  I remember Keydren Clark from St Peters putting on scoring displays against Manhattan around 03/04.  I graduated in 04.