Pope John,NJ vs Lake Gibson,FL

Nolebull813

Spoke to a coach from Pope John and was trying to help him find a game vs a nationally relevant team. He said they were speaking to Lake Gibson but wanted a bigger name. While I was looking he just texted me and said the AD made it happen with Lake Gibson. 

But they want to play top teams from around the country for sure in 2018. He said they should of beaten Paramus Catholic and Bergen Catholic this year amd should be better in 17 and 18. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Nolebull813 said:

Spoke to a coach from Pope John and was trying to help him find a game vs a nationally relevant team. He said they were speaking to Lake Gibson but wanted a bigger name. While I was looking he just texted me and said the AD made it happen with Lake Gibson. 

But they want to play top teams from around the country for sure in 2018. He said they should of beaten Paramus Catholic and Bergen Catholic this year amd should be better in 17 and 18. 

Did u ask him how many league games pope john won while they were almost beating people?

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Omaha Vol said:

Lake Gibson is no slouch. They will give PJ a good game. 

Not too shabby... #78 Calpreps rated in nation 2016.  No clue what the return starters picture looks like for this season (or if any transfers of note).

4 Lake Gibson (Lakeland, FL)   team preview   trend Florida 6A District 8 6A 13-1 4-0 (1st) 10-1 62.4 41.3 94-56
WINS: #247 Armwood (Seffner, FL) (18-15), #287 Navarre (FL) (35-14), #339 Vanguard (Ocala, FL) (14-13), #339 Vanguard (Ocala, FL) (35-14), #679 Hillsborough (Tampa, FL) (21-14), #909 Dillard (Fort Lauderdale, FL) (26-22), #1159 Sebring (FL) (21-0), #1229 Kathleen (Lakeland, FL) (21-0), #1566 Auburndale (FL) (14-7), #4728 Dr. Krop [Michael M.] (Miami, FL) (47-0), #5967 Lake Wales (FL) (35-0), #6259 Lake Region (Eagle Lake, FL) (48-7), #6486 Jenkins [George] (Lakeland, FL) (42-0), LOSSES: #10 Carol City (Miami, FL) (14-6)
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Omaha Vol said:

Outside of N'western they were CC's toughest game in the playoffs. Personally, I think if L. Gibson has their nucleus coming back they'll beat PJ. 

While this is true they also just barely beat Dillard 26-22 at home.   I doubt they will be at the same level as they were last year.  They are always decent though.  

Here's some clips of them vs Dillard. 

Just now, Omaha Vol said:

I think those three were solid teams, but you would probably know better than me. Only losing to Carol City 14-6 says enough for me. If they are losing everybody, though, then PJ might beat them. 

I mean the issue is no one really knows how good Armwood is anymore, because they play garbage.   The best team they played in the reg season was Plant, and they lost.   I would say Plant was a bit better last year than usual, but still how much can we know?  Are teams like Navarre and Vangaurd better than teams like Dillard?  It's hard to say.     

I agree they looked good vs Carol City in the final, but I think Carol City played very very sloppy that game.  You could tell they went in overconfident.     LG punched them in the mouth a bit though.  

On 3/22/2017 at 2:18 PM, GardenStateBaller said:

Glad to see another NJ NP fball program venturing OOS albeit vs a non-power. #babysteps

Lake Gibson was a very good team last year,  they came within a touchdown of Carol city if my memory serves me correctly and did beat armwood (who is considered a power despite rarely playing good teams besides the state title games to Miami Central) 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Omaha Vol said:

I think those three were solid teams, but you would probably know better than me. Only losing to Carol City 14-6 says enough for me. If they are losing everybody, though, then PJ might beat them. 

Armwood talented but never plays good oppenents for most part 

Vanguard last year was probably second best 6a north team behind Lake Gibson and Navaree probably slightly below armwood but usually a solid panhandle team