TX vs. GA. & CA the Carnivore Challenge

DevilDog

Ok guys. I bought a small brisket, but never smoked one before. My family is small and of course we can't do gatherings right now... I have questions for the more experienced guys. 

Is hickory the right wood? Should I toss some sweeter wood in with it? Apple maybe? 

Also, the brisket is kind of too big for my family, so, is it ok to cut it in half and make two from it or is that not a good idea? Smoke the whole thing and save the leftovers or divide and conquer? 

I can Google this stuff, but, you guys are my friends, and I've seen your work. 

28 minutes ago, HawgGoneIt said:

Ok guys. I bought a small brisket, but never smoked one before. My family is small and of course we can't do gatherings right now... I have questions for the more experienced guys. 

Is hickory the right wood? Should I toss some sweeter wood in with it? Apple maybe? 

Also, the brisket is kind of too big for my family, so, is it ok to cut it in half and make two from it or is that not a good idea? Smoke the whole thing and save the leftovers or divide and conquer? 

You can indeed cut it in half and the Flat will cook more quickly than the point.  I use Hickory for the 1st 1.5 hrs then about 1hr of Apple or Cherry at that point no more smoke is needed then it's mostly heat.  I would smoke till you hit the stall at about 165 - 170 then double wrap with foil and about half a cup of beef broth to create a lil steam then at 200-205 i pull Wrap it in a big towel and let it rest in a Cooler for 2 hours.  Bro it will be so good it will make you do this 

Yeah Boy Slap GIF - Find & Share on GIPHY

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

@HawgGoneIt if you have never done one, I suggest this to learn how to trim it from Aaron Franklin. I use hickory and Apple anything will work although be careful of mesquite (it can be strong and bitter). 4 hours of smoke then go ahead and wrap. You won’t get anymore smoke in the meat After 4 hours so go with then Texas crutch and speed up your cook. Go to about 203-205 and pull out and wrap in a towel. If you have a cooler fill within hot water then empty it and it can rest in there for a few hours. 

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, DevilDog said:

You can indeed cut it in half and the Flat will cook more quickly than the point.  I use Hickory for the 1st 1.5 hrs then about 1hr of Apple or Cherry at that point no more smoke is needed then it's mostly heat.  I would smoke till you hit the stall at about 165 - 170 then double wrap with foil and about half a cup of beef broth to create a lil steam then at 200-205 i pull Wrap it in a big towel and let it rest in a Cooler for 2 hours.  Bro it will be so good it will make you do this 

Yeah Boy Slap GIF - Find & Share on GIPHY

I should have just read this when I was responding, would have save me time 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On occasion i cut them in half and make Pastrami, Corned Beef or Beef Bacon from the Flat.  But I agree other than that it's sorta of breaking Brisket etiquette to cut them and smoke separately but it will work and I know others that due especially when few will be consuming it. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Cossacks said:

@HawgGoneIt if you have never done one, I suggest this to learn how to trim it from Aaron Franklin. I use hickory and Apple anything will work although be careful of mesquite (it can be strong and bitter). 4 hours of smoke then go ahead and wrap. You won’t get anymore smoke in the meat After 4 hours so go with then Texas crutch and speed up your cook. Go to about 203-205 and pull out and wrap in a towel. If you have a cooler fill within hot water then empty it and it can rest in there for a few hours. 

Yeah, I've been googling and see numerous ideas. I bought a sack of hickory chunks and I have some apple left over from the last baby backs I did. I do have a couple of mesquite logs left from something I did, and had considered burning them in with all the hickory. I have enough apple to run an hour or two probably. 

I saw all the tricks with apple juice and foil, but, I kinda like the broth idea too. 

Just foil wrap or use a foil pan and cover, or does that matter a lot? 

I get the same on halving the brisket too. A split vote more or less. I just don't want any to waste for sure. I've been shopping for a small one that was less than 40 bucks for 2 years already. They're usually all over 50 dollars and huge. Mine is 8 lbs at 4.99 per. Four lbs may be too much for us really. I gotta think on this divide and conquer or whole and leftovers thing some. 

7 minutes ago, HawgGoneIt said:

Yeah, I've been googling and see numerous ideas. I bought a sack of hickory chunks and I have some apple left over from the last baby backs I did. I do have a couple of mesquite logs left from something I did, and had considered burning them in with all the hickory. I have enough apple to run an hour or two probably. 

I saw all the tricks with apple juice and foil, but, I kinda like the broth idea too. 

I get the same on halving the brisket too. A split vote more or less. I just don't want any to waste for sure. I've been shopping for a small one that was less than 40 bucks for 2 years already. They're usually all over 50 dollars and huge. Mine is 8 lbs at 4.99 per. Four lbs may be too much for us really. I gotta think on this divide and conquer or whole and leftovers thing some. 

Foil wrap and yes it matters.  And here is an idea for the other half (Homemade Beef Bacon)  I make my own

Bro this is the best damn beer with a Brisket 

image.thumb.png.0a301ea7b55f56a8a9197ff057b7e85c.png

Here is a great recipe for Beef Bacon.  

How to make beef bacon

You can use any wood you prefer for the smoking stage, but beef works well with bold woods such as hickory or mesquite.

INGREDIENTS

3-4lb beef navel or Brisket Flat 

3 tablespoons kosher salt

1/3 cup white sugar

2 tablespoons pepper

2 teaspoons paprika

1 teaspoon pink curing salt

INSTRUCTIONS

CURE: Add all the dry ingredients together to create a rub mix, then rub into the surface of the beef, pressing it onto the sides to make sure it's well coated. Place the belly into a large zip top bag, making sure as much of the cure mixture as possible makes it into the bag. Place the bag into a fridge to cure for 3-7 days. Once a day, massage the liquid that accumulates in the bag and flip it over.

DRY: After the curing process is complete, remove the meat from the bag, and rinse thoroughly under cold water. Pat the belly dry with paper towel. Ideally, you will now return the uncovered belly to the fridge to dry out overnight, but if you can't wait for this step it's not essential.

SMOKE: Preheat a smoker to 200-215f. Place the belly into the smoker and cook until it reaches an internal temperature of 150f. Once at temperature, cool then return to fridge to allow for easy cutting.

COOK: Thinly slice the bacon and cook in a medium-low heat skillet until crisp. Bacon will last up to 14 days in the fridge - simply slice off pieces as needed. Unlike pork bacon, beef bacon is best when thinly sliced.

crispy beef bacon

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, DevilDog said:

Foil wrap and yes it matters.  And here is an idea for the other half (Homemade Beef Bacon)  I make my own

Bro this is the best damn beer with a Brisket 

image.thumb.png.0a301ea7b55f56a8a9197ff057b7e85c.png

Here is a great recipe for Beef Bacon.  

How to make beef bacon

You can use any wood you prefer for the smoking stage, but beef works well with bold woods such as hickory or mesquite.

INGREDIENTS

3-4lb beef navel or Brisket Flat 

3 tablespoons kosher salt

1/3 cup white sugar

2 tablespoons pepper

2 teaspoons paprika

1 teaspoon pink curing salt

INSTRUCTIONS

CURE: Add all the dry ingredients together to create a rub mix, then rub into the surface of the beef, pressing it onto the sides to make sure it's well coated. Place the belly into a large zip top bag, making sure as much of the cure mixture as possible makes it into the bag. Place the bag into a fridge to cure for 3-7 days. Once a day, massage the liquid that accumulates in the bag and flip it over.

DRY: After the curing process is complete, remove the meat from the bag, and rinse thoroughly under cold water. Pat the belly dry with paper towel. Ideally, you will now return the uncovered belly to the fridge to dry out overnight, but if you can't wait for this step it's not essential.

SMOKE: Preheat a smoker to 200-215f. Place the belly into the smoker and cook until it reaches an internal temperature of 150f. Once at temperature, cool then return to fridge to allow for easy cutting.

COOK: Thinly slice the bacon and cook in a medium-low heat skillet until crisp. Bacon will last up to 14 days in the fridge - simply slice off pieces as needed. Unlike pork bacon, beef bacon is best when thinly sliced.

crispy beef bacon

I like a good dunkelweizen, but, I have a brown ale from my favorite spot hanging out in the fridge to go with whatever mess I make of this brisket. 

This thing is named the Brown Thrasher after the Georgia state bird. Brewed with pecans and finished on honey. I've saved two of those bad boys just for a time like this. 

20200404_194615.thumb.jpg.bed3004ae3ac007e6dcdd95b8de4caa3.jpg

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, HawgGoneIt said:

I like a good dunkelweizen, but, I have a brown ale from my favorite spot hanging out in the fridge to go with whatever mess I make of this brisket. 

This thing is named the Brown Thrasher after the Georgia state bird. Brewed with pecans and finished on honey. I've saved two of those bad boys just for a time like this. 

20200404_194615.thumb.jpg.bed3004ae3ac007e6dcdd95b8de4caa3.jpg

Bro enjoy, Its a Man, Fire, Smoke, Meat and Beer in that Order.  I have a feeling there will be no failure.  Brisket requires patience.  Let that damn Smoke do it's ThanG 😎 and enjoy. 

After all nothing a  Man enjoys more than Hot, Moist, Juicy, Meat.  Let the Brothers say Amen 

Brisket GIF - Find & Share on GIPHY

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, DevilDog said:

Bro enjoy, Its a Man, Fire, Smoke and Meat and Beer in that Order.  I have a feeling there will be no failure.  Brisket requires patience.  Let that damn Smoke do it's ThanG 😎 and enjoy. 

After all nothing a  Man enjoys more than Hot, Moist, Juicy, Meat.  Let the Brothers say Amen 

I'll see your amen and raise it a golf clap...

202302682_tenor(1).gif.2bb75600817654debd92b94c2bae5afc.gif

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, HawgGoneIt said:

Yes foil wrap as DD suggested (I double layer mine). Some will say use butcher paper since it will breath more and give you a better bark as compared to foil where you are essentially steaming. Never had an issue with bark using foil. Don’t forget it you have a 8lb packer now, it will prob be closer to 6 after trimming and after cooking you might only yield around 5 pounds.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, DevilDog said:

Bro enjoy, Its a Man, Fire, Smoke and Meat and Beer in that Order.  I have a feeling there will be no failure.  Brisket requires patience.  Let that damn Smoke do it's ThanG 😎 and enjoy. 

After all nothing a  Man enjoys more than Hot,Moist Pinkish Meat.  Let the Brothers say Amen 

I take offense to your order sir 😂. Man...beer than the others. Hell anytime out by the bbq or smoker is a win win.

• Haha 1

Just now, Cossacks said:

Yes foil wrap as DD suggested (I double layer mine). Some will say use butcher paper SJC e it will breath more and give you a better bark as compared to foil where you are essentially steaming. Never had an issue with bark using foil. Don’t forget it you have a 8lb packer now, it will prob be closer to 6 after trimming and after cooking you might only yield around 5 pounds.

If you get to the stall before wrapping the bark should be set.  The wrapping is referred to as the Texas Crutch.  I don't give a damn hell I have even finished it in the oven the last 3 hrs at 225 and went to sleep.  At that point no smoke is needed just heat.   The key is trimming and I learned that later in life I thought all that damn fat was needed.  It will cut hours off the cooking time and allow the seasoning to adhere to the Meat.   Damn you guys are about to make me pull that Brisket out of the Freezer 😎

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Cossacks said:

Yes foil wrap as DD suggested (I double layer mine). Some will say use butcher paper SJC e it will breath more and give you a better bark as compared to foil where you are essentially steaming. Never had an issue with bark using foil. Don’t forget it you have a 8lb packer now, it will prob be closer to 6 after trimming and after cooking you might only yield around 5 pounds.

You're right about losing some weight in the cook. It's vacuum packaged right now, but it looks fairly lean. Not sure how much I'll need to trim. It has a fat cap, but, doesn't look super thick. I had a choice between this one and one close to double the lbs. and price with a little bit more fat. 

This is my practice run for sure though. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, HawgGoneIt said:

Don’t use sweet wood. Hickory is good.
You can cut the point from flat and do it that way.  That’s basically cutting it along fat horizontally.  Wouldn’t cut it in half vertically. 
How many lbs is it. I would smoke it all regardless of weight as they’re long cooks. 
Do burnt ends, do some slice, do some pulled. 
You can do so much with leftovers, nachos, chili, sandwiches, etc. 

Keep it simple, salt and pepper.... and use beef broth and butter when wrapping if you plan on it. 

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

Guess I shoulda read all posts before responding as the boys have it handled already. Lol. You will prob finish with 4 lbs meat after the trim and cook. There will be some giant chunks of fat that weigh a lot in there. I take all fat cap off and most fat in between point and flat. I smoked 5-6 10-13 lb briskets couple weeks ago. Don’t like them personally but family does. It was bomb in chili. I prefer Tri tip 99-1 if I had a choice to do 100 cooks. 

I’ve done them in pink butcher paper and foil and like butcher paper better but will wrap foil over the butcher paper when done to rest in cooler like mentioned above. Mainly so it’s less messy. 

Picture with bone in it was a arm roast. Tasted just like a brisket and you can prob find much cheaper. Didn’t know about it until it came in our butchered cow bundle. 

6B05B580-8C31-4561-847D-0FA583B149CB.jpeg

FC229671-A5BD-4242-AD83-D92DBFBE6EB7.jpeg

E38D9198-E233-432D-B36B-F71D7C140745.jpeg

19A56E7B-80F8-4278-9EF8-C400B11314F4.jpeg

48D6D99C-B4C9-428A-B2A8-2720D819CB71.jpeg

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, NorCalRuss said:

Guess I shoulda read all posts before responding as the boys have it handled already. Lol. You will prob finish with 4 lbs meat after the trim and cook. There will be some giant chunks of fat that weigh a lot in there. I take all fat cap off and most fat in between point and flat. I smoked 5-6 10-13 lb briskets couple weeks ago. Don’t like them personally but family does. It was bomb in chili. I prefer Tri tip 99-1 if I had a choice to do 100 cooks. 

I’ve done them in pink butcher paper and foil and like butcher paper better but will wrap foil over the butcher paper when done to rest in cooler like mentioned above. Mainly so it’s less messy. 

Picture with bone in it was a arm roast. Tasted just like a brisket and you can prob find much cheaper. Didn’t know about it until it came in our butchered cow bundle. 

134214002_tenor(1).gif.94a8cbb320d29911c23ec44e69299889.gif

• Haha 3

15 minutes ago, NorCalRuss said:

Homer Simpson Bbq GIF - Find & Share on GIPHY

• Like 1
  • Haha 2