TX vs. GA. & CA the Carnivore Challenge

DevilDog

11 minutes ago, BUFORDGAWOLVES said:

https://www.yodersmokers.com/backyard-cookers.html

Durango 20" or 24", can't decide... I do know the vertical chamber will be used for fowl, fish etc....

The fire box for grilling steaks and of course the offset chamber for ribs..

I like to sear my steaks fast and super hot north of 750' and then let it rest in a smoker at 180' to finish, then maybe a slice of butter off the smoker to really rest before serving, all depends on the marbling in the steak, if it has good marbling... don't need the butter..

Nothing like it and yes, it's expensive but my better half uses it as a bargaining chip to get other things done. Women are evil, man....

I like "equipment"... you know what I mean....

Regards,

BGW

You sear before smoking? Does the meat retain any smoke flavor by smoking after sear? 

I reverse sear all steaks and Tri tip. 

Usually smoke Til 120-130 then sear over high direct flame to char it up and then destroy it  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, NorCalRuss said:

You sear before smoking? Does the meat retain any smoke flavor by smoking after sear? 

I reverse sear all steaks and Tri tip. 

Usually smoke Til 120-130 then sear over high direct flame to char it up and then destroy it  

Oh yeah it retains, I don't like the smoke to overpower the flavor of the steak.

If I have time I use hardwood to sear, it gets hella hotter than charcoal and some of the smoke penetrates then.

Really need to build a smokestack flue to get the hardwood down to coals for a cleaner burn then toss wet chips for the smoke, better control that way.

I really lose my mind cooking sometimes... lol.

BGW

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, BUFORDGAWOLVES said:

Oh yeah it retains, I don't like the smoke to overpower the flavor of the steak.

If I have time I use hardwood to sear, it gets hella hotter than charcoal and some of the smoke penetrates then.

Really need to build a smokestack flue to get the hardwood down to coals for a cleaner burn then toss wet chips for the smoke, better control that way.

I really lose my mind cooking sometimes... lol.

BGW

C’mon man, we know it isn’t a far fall! 😂

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just working on a new rub combo on these guinea pig baby backs! Flavor was spot on, smoked for 5 hours, but prob could have gone 4 1/2. Used to always do baby backs  until a few years ago when I went pretty exclusively to St. Louis spares. Need to work on the baby backs.

1CD11113-04B6-40FC-805E-C28D3667E8A5.jpeg

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, NorCalRuss said:

Looking good! Straight smoke, no wrap?

Shit, I was going to I straight smoke then I thought I was gong to need to be done quicker. So I did wrap, 2-2-1. In hindsight,  I had time and wished I would have gone straight smoke. I prefer  not to wrap, but usually I’m trying to get stuff done on a time constraint that I end up wrapping most of the time.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Cossacks said:

Shit, I was going to I straight smoke then I thought I was gong to need to be done quicker. So I did wrap, 2-2-1. In hindsight,  I had time and wished I would have gone straight smoke. I prefer  not to wrap, but usually I’m trying to get stuff done on a time constraint that I end up wrapping most of the time.

I like to wrap but sometimes let it ride.  Honey, brown sugar and butter is what I add. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
14 hours ago, NorCalRuss said:

Ga and Tx getting tko in this thread I do believe! 

Got some chili going now to go with some ribs-rib bites,  Tri tip and Sriracha coleslaw. 

48C0C583-94B6-42CE-83F6-9EF01909AEB5.jpeg

F8EBF8EC-842B-4E1C-BE93-746CA49DC85A.jpeg

B8F44DE3-9B48-404F-8C83-FA91AAD5886D.jpeg

08FF7AC6-0E00-450B-B051-0A58102AFCD8.jpeg

ADA87721-D82E-4659-9022-BD0B006EE9F0.jpeg

Bro I'm gonna cheat and Grill today instead of BBQ.  Don't penalize will post later.  Lamb ribs, drumsticks and beef Sausage along with grilled corn.  Damn you brought it again.  Tx is still in the game.  Whar Ya at Jawjaa.  😆

• Like 1

Just a simple grill today.  I do love Lamb ribs.  Sold as Lamb Breast in Markets. No smoke rings do to high temp grilling instead of low and slow BBQ.  Did throw one hickory piece for a little flavor. Before and after.  Chicken eaten in tacos with guacamole salsa also

20190705_000642.jpg

20190704_181422.jpg

20190704_191334_HDR.jpg

20180422_180852.jpg

• Like 3

6 hours ago, DevilDog said:

Just a simple grill today.  I do love Lamb ribs.  Sold as Lamb Breast in Markets. No smoke rings do to high temp grilling instead of low and slow BBQ.  Did throw one hickory piece for a little flavor. Before and after.  Chicken eaten in tacos with guacamole salsa also

20190705_000642.jpg

20190704_181422.jpg

20190704_191334_HDR.jpg

20180422_180852.jpg

Never had lamb before I don’t believe. Maybe when I was in Israel or Egypt but don’t remember. Can’t go wrong with chicken tacos! 

• Like 1

On 6/19/2019 at 10:18 AM, Cossacks said:

Why do you prefer to not wrap? That's the best technique ever invented. I make a bed of brown sugar, Parkay, Tiger Sauce, and a little pineapple juice. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, rockinl said:

Why do you prefer to not wrap? That's the best technique ever invented. I make a bed of brown sugar, Parkay, Tiger Sauce, and a little pineapple juice. 

Pretty much what I do except I usually use Apple juice instead of pineapple, but I’ve used beer or even OJ in a pinch. It’s all about getting the moisture in there and I think the flavor or the liquid doesn’t matter all that much.

In others words we both stole the Johnny Tirgg method which is pretty damned tried and true 😀. Good thing about bbq is there are several ways to do it, but if it taste good that’s all that matters.

7 minutes ago, DevilDog said:

Do any of you gents have a pellet smoker and if so how good are they as smokers?

I have a PTG Traeger but rarely use it.

My buddy has Traeger Timberline 1300 which is very nice but $2000. 

Traeger don’t put out lot of smoke out so if you like lot of smoke you need to add smoke tube. 

Theyre easy to use though. 

5 minutes ago, NorCalRuss said:

I have a PTG Traeger but rarely use it.

My buddy has Traeger Timberline 1300 which is very nice but $2000. 

Traeger don’t put out lot of smoke out so if you like lot of smoke you need to add smoke tube. 

Theyre easy to use though. 

Thanks bro.  I'm about to.up grade and might go with a vehicle smoker instead.  Saw the Traegar while looking.  I heard it was easy.  That takes the fun out of Smoking